Start by marking “Run to Me” as Want to Read:
Run to Me

Run to Me

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  166 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Finalist in the 2014 Daphne du Maurier Awards for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense

Run To Me is a suspenseful, impossible-to-put-down chase thriller with riveting twists and turns . . .

It's been two years since Shyler O'Neil's beloved son Jesse was killed - but his final moments are as vivid to her now as they were that dreadful day. Suffering from post-traumatic stress, and
Published March 1st 2013 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Run to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run to Me

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Run to Me
Brenda
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thriller lovers
I cannot believe that this is the author’s first novel!

Shyler O’Neil was walking her five-year-old son Jesse home from soccer..they were having some fun along the way, and throwing pebbles into the rushing water of the river beneath the bridge. Suddenly a group of youths appeared, and the horror of the next few minutes changed Shyler’s life forever.

Two years later, divorced and alone, Shyler had retreated to the isolation of a cabin which was left to her by her late father, a place the family h
Lisa
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU Diane Hester for a remarkable novel Run To Me I was hooked right from the prologue to the end finished it in record time for me 2 days the writing for a debut author was brilliant a gritty thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat right the way through.

The Characters were believable especially Tragg who is the creepiest character in a thriller that made me cringe every time he was in the dialogue it had everything a thriller of this kind of novel should have loved t
sue
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, romance
This is excellent!

When I saw this on Net Galley I requested to read and review it from Random House Australia.

If you look at the book cover, its very inviting, so this caught my eye first. I hadn't heard of Diane Hester.

I began to read the book, it opens with a Prologue. After reading that, I was literally gasping. In my mind I am screaming WHAT! WHAT! bloody hell.

Then the story begins. Each page drew me in.

While I took a break from reading to check emails, I thought I would seek out Diane Hest
Kazza
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding piece of writing. If you like suspense, taut psychological thrillers, with nail-biting action, then Run to Me is a must read novel to add to your TBR list for March 2013.
In depth review as spoiler-free as possible, given it's length, at http://ontopdownunderbookreviews.com/...

An advance reading copy was supplied to me in return for an honest review.
Rowena Holloway
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A motherless Child. A childless mother. A killer willing to sacrifice them both. Run to Me is the exciting debut from Port Lincoln (South Australian) author Diane Hester. Originally from New York City, Hester manages to bring her passion for Northern Maine to life in this thriller with heart.

When ten-year-old Zack Ballinger and his foster brothers witness a crime, the boys must escape into the wilds of Northern Maine. With only his street-smarts to rely on, and the killers closing in, Zack has n
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
This is a must read for anyone interested in psychological thrillers that will have you immediately hooked. The moment I started this book, I could not put it down. I followed Zack, Reece and Corey through their painful lives which is the main plot of this book. They're orphans living in terrible conditions at their most current foster house, with foster parents who abuse them and drink all the child support money away.

Things start to look up when Mr. Westgate and Ms. Knowles show up at their f
Lauredhel
Content Notes: children in danger, some child neglect/abuse, vivid description of PTSD symptoms

This is an excellent nailbiter set in the woods of northern Maine. The shifting point-of-view was a bit confusing for me in the galley, but with proper scene breaks it should work well. I liked the moxie of the child protagonist a lot. What I particularly admire was the way Shyler's spirit and courage shone through while she was struggling with severe PTSD. The PTSD rang true to me, which is a tricky t
Mattie
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book totally captured me from the first page. If you are looking for a psychological thriller that will want you reading more ... This is the book you want to add to your TBR list. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review. No compensation was received. This is an author that I will add to my list. Great character development and smooth and easy reading.
Bill Biscoe
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best thrillers I have read. Got it randomly at my local library (Barossa) and could not put it down. So accomplished and so well written which is not always usual for for a first-time book. More please!
Leonie Puckridge
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Run to Me’, took me awhile to read because the beginning of the story really created such strong emotions in me about the mother/child distress that I had to leave it for a few weeks:Diane Hester’s writing technique is just too good obviously! Once I pushed past the initial chapters I couldn’t put down the book.

Characters/language/setting made for a vivid picture in my imagination and I felt it was a clever plot with enough twists to keep me guessing until the end just how it would finish.

I lo
Tash
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics

To see review at Confessions

Run To Me is the debut novel from author Diane Hester and tells a potent story about love, grief and secrets. Two years ago Shyler lost her son Jesse in a robbery gone wrong. Blamed by her now ex-husband as the cause of his death despite the courts believing her story, she becomes a hermit up in Deadwood, a skiing town in Northern Maine where she spent time as a little girl. She is barely functioning as a human being but she is
Sam Still Reading
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for a fast paced thriller
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: eARC from publisher - thank you!

Run to Me is one of the more original thrillers I’ve read recently. Why? To start with, one of its heroes is a ten year old boy, Zack. Zack has had an awful life to date – rejected by his mother in favour of a new partner, multiple foster homes with neglectful carers and now he’s being chased by a group of people who think he saw something he shouldn’t. Add to that two younger foster brothers to look after, and Zack’s got a lot more on his plate than many adults.

One of the other main characters
Karen
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Written with the distinct feeling of a movie treatment RUN TO ME takes the story of a young boy in extreme danger, and combines that with a woman traumatised and stigmatised by the death of her own young boy. There's a feeling of inevitability to the coming together of those two characters, and their stand against the bad guys.

The threat to the boys (Zack is held with two other youngsters) is carefully crafted making it less confrontational, although the threat itself is clearly drawn out. The b
Vicki
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Run To Me by Diane Hester is expected to be released on March 1, 2013. I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy for my Kindle. Shyler O'Neil is is a broken woman. She is living with the guilt of not being able to save her beloved son. Zack Ballinger is a ten year old foster child with a tough exterior. A case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time leaves Zack in grave danger, but also at Shyler's doorstep. The two broken souls whom have had more of their share of tragedy and hard times ...more
Jo
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Wow this book starts with a bang and the suspense carries through to the end, the characters are brilliant, especially Shyler.

Shyler is truamatized and has withdrawn from the world, due to the tragic death of her son. Shyler’s character is very sad and Hester did an amazing job articulating Shyler’s thoughts.

Zack the secondary character has suffered during his short life. Zack has grown up in foster homes and is mature beyond his age, yet there is a small child within him who yearns for a home a
Natasha Ewendt
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From the heart-stopping start, Run To Me is a compelling, edge-of-your-seat read. The story lures you in from the first page to the last. The suspense is tight throughout and cleverly plotted to keep you constantly wondering what’s going to happen next. It’s fascinating to watch all the storylines intertwine and come together in the end. Expertly written, it has heartrending moments and well-drawn, sympathetic characters with intriguing layers that make the end pay-off all the more satisfying. T ...more
Sandy Vaile
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, at the end of the prologue I was on the edge of my seat and the suspense just didn't let up. Not only was the writing and editing of a high quality, but I giggled in places and even cried. Everything I look for in a great story!

The characters were well developed with traits I could sympathise with as well as complex and beliveable flaws, and some really creepy bad guys. The internal battle of Zack was heart wrenching, but his strength only made me love him more. And the ending...well, you'
Carey Greene
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book started out a little slow...but the further I got into the more involved I got...the children in this book are very endearing and you find yourself rooting for them..and hope all turns out well...the handling of Shyler's mental illness was handled well and you end up hoping that things turn out well for her....because of the rough time she has coping with the death of her son and putting up with everyone who didn't believe her...good book to read.
Peggy
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
~~~RECEIVED FOR HONEST REVIEW~~~

The cover of the book is captivating and an attention grabber. Once you start reading you are just captivated from start to end. There is no putting this one down. You will keep turning the pages to try and figure out if she did or didn't. But just when you have it all figured out, it's not what you think! Diane Hester knows just how to keep her readers intrigued and reading!

J. Ewbank
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Now this book by Diane Hester is what I call a very engaging book. You simply cannot put it down without wanting to get back to it. The characters are real and the plot keeps your attention focused on the next page and what is going to happen. What a good read! Enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" and "Wesley's Wars"
Claire
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I lost my reading mojo earlier this year. But this book brought it back with a vengeance! I'm so glad I bought this from Di when she spoke to our Book Lovers Club way back at the start of the year. I just wish I hadn't left it so long before I read it!
Carla Caruso
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, lovely short chapters, and snappy sentences - reads just like a thriller film! You'll fall for the characters, Shyler, Dr Chase and Zack, too. Plus, gorgeous setting. Fab debut for this author. Will look out for further offerings from her!
Suzie
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read in a long time. Once you start you can't stop. An original story line, not one where you wonder if you have read something similar. Will definitely be watching for the next book she writes.
Trisha
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book had me from the first page & the pace did not change right up until the end. Such a thrilling story. I loved it. ...more
Bambieandstephen Madurski
This was a really good book I would def recommend to my friends for sure. It's slow to start but not for long def worth the wait and continue to read to the end
Brittany
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this book via a Goodreads Giveaway and I loved it and LOVED the ending!
Pam Barton
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, if you like suspenseful thrillers you will enjoy this. The author spoke at my local library, this is her debut novel but I look forward to reading others.
Deb Bodinnar
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one had me from the first chapter!!! The storyline was gripping and fast paced. Could visualise this as a movie. Will be keeping my eye out for more from this author.
Isabel Storey
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Almost at one sitting, sniffles at the end.
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Run To Me
DIANE HESTER
5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"Run to Me" had me hooked from the very start. It is an action packed nail-biting thriller.Gripping and intense, the fast-paced plot rocketed along keeping me on the edge of my seat. I very highly reccomend this book. It is such a great psychological suspense novel that is Very well written . I loved this book. It grips you on page one. The ending is fantastic and makes you smile. I started reading and just couldn't stop. Read it in one day because it is Unputdownab

• Taming A Sea-Horse (Spenser, #13)
  • How My Summer Went Up in Flames
  • The Dark Dream
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Don't Know Jack (Hunt For Reacher, #1)
  • Mr. China
  • Three Days Missing
  • The Orchardist's Daughter
  • Our Boys: Raising Strong, Happy Sons from Boyhood to Manhood
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales
Diane Hester is a former violinist with the Adelaide Symphony and the Rochester Philharmonic, US. Born in New York, she now lives in Port Lincoln, South Australia.

Diane's debut thriller Run To Me was short-listed in the 2014 Daphne du Maurier Awards.