Start by marking “Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)” as Want to Read:
Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)

Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  1,465 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
This spellbinding tale of dark magic takes readers back to Lyra, the world ofShadow Magic and Daughter of Witches.

THERE STANDS A TWISTED TOWER...
hidden in the Windhome Mountains. Something is imprisoned there--the Sisterhood of Stars does not know precisely what, but something is bound tight with a wizard's spell so that it can never escape again.

Kayl is one of the few to
Published March 1st 1987 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Caught in Crystal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caught in Crystal

Carol.
I read Caught in Crystal strictly because of The Raven Ring: A Lyra Novel. Unfortunately, this book doesn't measure up to Ring, or even to Wrede's other works. While the world of Lyra is interesting with racial tensions and the sense that deep change is underway, the plot of Crystal is unevenly developed. In retrospect, the setting strongly reminds me of Andre Norton's Witch World series, full of nostalgia for an era gone by, and a group of sorcerous women fighting against eagle-helmed men.

Ca
Rickford Miller
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Patricia C. Wrede, through Caught in Crystal(CIC hereafter), was introduced to me by my mother in 3rd grade. While having already read the Hobbit, and Dragonlance chronicles at this time, it was one of the centerpiece novels that defined and set the standards of fantasy for me. Wrede has a remarkable ability to create characters with whom you can identify, with believable intercourse where you can follow motivation. Simplistic writing in the sense that it is smooth, flows well, rolls off the to ...more
Jo
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-author
I did not think I was going to enjoy this book because it's kind of slow at the beginning but it does build up as you go along. I like Kayl because she is a single mother (widowed) who stands her ground while trying to juggle an Inn. I also liked how they intertwine the kids in the story, it never neglected in the story that the main character was a mother. I enjoyed that she is a mother, and is trying to handle them along with the quest that was handed to her. And, her children were not just th ...more
Kim
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 14-and-up
I'm not really sure what age these books are best for. On some level, a 12 yr old might enjoy them, but then there are other aspects that I think perhaps a bit older would be best. I read them in order of publication, but I think chronology would be better. The other nice thing about this series is that the books are self-contained. You do not have to read all of the books. You can pick and choose. None of the stories rely on the others. The connection is the world of Lyra and battling darkness. ...more
Dwer
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-sf
The Lyra series is one of my favorites. I find them interesting, but not so convoluted that I can't keep track of who is doing what where and when. The people and situations are generally believable, and even the fantasy elements seeem to me to fit it; they don't stretch my imagination to the breaking point. I haven't read all the Lyra books, but of the three that I have, I think this is my favorite.
Isaac Timm
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
My brother bought an old dog eared copy of this book at a second hand books store, it was the first fantasy book I've ever read. I loved this book, I read it 5 times, but I just found out its part of a series, I'll have to check out the other Lyra books, it may be tough, I believe most of them are out of print.
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Verushka

Beware of Spoilers

Caught in Crystal is part of Patricia Wrede’s acclaimed Lyra series of books, now published for the first time in ebook form. The series consists of five books that are loosely connected, but all are based on the same world – Lyra. An interesting side-note is that Wrede created a role-playing game about Lyra, and after reading this book, it’s one I would love to get my hands on.

I think the hidden gem of this novel is the introdu
Ryan
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
What I liked best was that the heroine is a middle aged mother of two who doesn't completely fit in her leather hero pants anymore but goes out and beats the bad guys anyway. And took her kids even though they often didn't listen and argued with each other.
Martha
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, fantasy
Wrede is very good at meshing a "current" story with the "flashbacks," giving us both stories in one book. Even though I had to get this book interlibrary loan, it was worth it. I've really enjoyed the other Lyra books, too. This is the first in the loosely-connected series.
Tanya
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, favorite, fantasy
"I enjoyed this book very much. It was one I read after I started Katherine Kurtz's novels. Most fantasy I did not care for, but this one has a bit of humanity that I often find missing in other fantasy."
Aerin
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not Wrede's strongest (I'm a rabid fan of her Pioneer Magic series), but always wonderful to have a strong thirtysomething female protagonist who has children.
Brian Palmer
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
Now here's an interesting novel in the Lyra series: every other story in the series is concerned with a young hero or heroine, usually learning their place in the world with some subtle exploration of romance; Caught in Crystal is about a widow innkeeper and her two children who go back to explore the consequences of the big adventure of her life, when she was young.

I think this feels the most ambitious of the Lyra series, in that it involves flashbacks, several different magical systems, and co
Wilson
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling story about a former warrior and her two young children who is drawn back into past events that she thought were done with. I enjoyed this a lot, and was particularly impressed with how the family was handled. It was also nice that the antagonists are somewhat different to those in her previous books.
Stephani Austin
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story. Not super compelling to read the rest of the series though. It’s just too disconnected. I will probably come back to it after a break.
Shirabyoshi
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Four stars for unbeatable nostalgia!
Lady_bercilak
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Having read all the Lyra books one after the other, it is interesting to see how Ms Wrede's writing improved over the course of the series.
Shellina Borgman
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Good, but not my favorite Lyra novel
Tracey
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley, 4-star
3.5 rounded up - because it's Patricia C. Wrede.

While the Lyra books do constitute a series, as I understand it and as I remember it they are also each standalone novels. Put together, they relate the long history of Lyra; taken separately, they are perfectly readable each unto itself.

I've always been a huge fan of Patricia C. Wrede, and I liked this book, a lot. But I didn't love it as much as I expected. There was nothing huge, but a handful of small things - like Kayl, on watch over her camp
An Odd1
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked better author Wrede's Dragon series. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... Widow Kayl is more worried mother than heroine. Her son Mark 9 is not cute, often arguing. She ignores caring men; Glyndon is obvious husband material, if he doesn't die first. Yet she fights like still 20 against evil creatures and human Magicseeker soldiers who want magic-users dead. She resists even the sorceress Sisterhood who took her in as an orphan.
RoloPoloBookBlog
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy, magic, young adult
Shelves: young-adult
Caught in Crystal is the fourth book in Patricia Wrede’s Lyra series and picks up ten years after Kayl’s husband Kevran has died. Kayl is struggling to maintain her inn and raise to two children; the work is difficult but she and her children are safe and the secret of her past life as a member of the Sisterhood of Stars is still firmly buried in the past. That is, until the day Corrana, a tall dark-haired woman with a silver star on her robes walks into Kayl’s inn and tells the innkeeper it is ...more
Tracey
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
While the Lyra books do constitute a series, as I understand it and as I remember it they are also each standalone novels. Put together, they relate the long history of Lyra; taken separately, each is perfectly readable each unto itself.

I've always been a huge fan of Patricia C. Wrede, and I like this book, a lot. But I don't love it as much as I expected. From small things - like Kayl, on watch over her camp at night, sitting and staring into the fire while she tries to order her thoughts, the
Jacey
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Patricia Wrede's back-catalogue is now being published electronically. This one seems to be published as YA but certainly crosses age boundaries well.

Kayl, a single (widowed) mother with two children is an innkeeper living a quiet life. Her biggest worries are taxes and a suitor she would rather have as a friend. When Corrana, a member of the magical Sisterhood of Stars arrives on her doorstep, closely followed by Glyndon, Varnan mage and her late husband's friend, her quiet life is overturned.

K
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
This review is copied from my blog, The Towering Pile. It was originally published here.

Kayl is living the quiet life of an innkeeper with two children when a sorceress shows up at the inn. Kayl's old life, in which she was a warrior in the Sisterhood of Stars, has finally caught up with her, and she's being called upon to finish the mission she started 15 years ago.

I enjoyed this book, because it is very high fantasy, which I don't see enough of. The characters have a mission that involves a lo
Alex at Raiding Bookshelves
Originally posted on http://raidingbookshelves.blogspot.co...

Website | Goodreads | | Facebook
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Adventure/Romance/Fantasy
Source: Amazon
Buy the Book: Amazon
Lootability: Needs more booty.

Caught in Crystal has been reworked and refurbished for its ebook release. A prequel to the Lyra novels, Caught in Crystal introduces the wizards of Varna, the Silver Siste
Lis Carey
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-sf, fiction
This is a reissue of one of Wrede's older books, one of the five Lyra novels from the 1980s.

It's centuries after the Wars of Binding, and some institutions and customs are starting to break down. The Estarren alliance is beginning to come apart, with new polities and alliances encroaching around its edges. The Magic Seekers, ruthlessly determined to force the non-human races and human magic users to give their magic to them, are becoming a serious threat.

Kayl Larrinar, innkeeper in the small tow
Tahlia Newland
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Caught in Crystal is an enjoyable traditional fantasy read about a single mother (a refreshingly different kind of character to the usual fantasy fare) whose past catches up with her.

Kayl and her two children run a modest country inn and have done for a decade but everything changes the day a sorceress asks for a room. Her name is Corrana, a member of the order of the Sisterhood of Stars, a coven of witches that Kayl left after a secret mission to the Twisted Tower went horribly wrong. Since the
Shinjini
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Caught in Crystal tells the story of Kayl, an inn keeper struggling to maintain her inn and raise to two children. Things seem normal until the arrival of Corrana, a member of the Sisterhood of Stars (a coven of witches). It turns out that Kayl was a member of the sisterhood too, but she left her position as one of the best fighters and strategists of the coven after a mission went horribly wrong. But now, the Sisterhood needs her to return to the Twisted Tower, bringing Kayl’s past crashing dow ...more
Jane
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I know Patricia Wrede through her Sorcery and Cecelia books and more recently I've read The Thirteenth Child (which I loved), so when I saw that her earlier fantasy books were being newly released as ebooks I was happy to be able to read a galley through NetGalley.

Caught in Crystal is set in the world of Lyra many years after the Wars of Binding. Kayl Larriner is a widowed innkeeper whose biggest worries come from raising her two young children and keeping up with the ever increasing taxes and p
Kelley Ceccato
Juniper Shore
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This should really be a five-star book, because any book I've read over and over again deserves five stars, but each time I read Caught in Crystal I become more aware of its flaws.

First, the good: this is a quest book, with a captivating journey through an intriguing variety of settings. The background is well developed: Kayl's inn sounds like a real inn; the Sisterhood of Stars sounds like a real religious order; the descriptions of Kith Alunel and the Windhome mountains are vivid and picturesq
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • Six of Swords
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War, #1)
  • The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta, #3)
  • King Javan's Year (The Heirs of Saint Camber, #2 )
  • Wild Children
  • Puss in Boots
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • The Harem of Aman Akbar
  • Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers
  • The Last Joy
  • Shadow (Shadow & Dagger, #1)
  • Child of an Ancient City
  • The Book of Atrix Wolfe
  • Being of Two Minds
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede

Lyra (5 books)
  • Shadow Magic (Lyra, #1)
  • Daughter of Witches (Lyra, #2)
  • The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra, #3)
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)