Start by marking “The Grand Tour (Cecelia and Kate, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Grand Tour (Cecelia and Kate, #2)

The Grand Tour

(Cecelia and Kate #2)

Kate and Cecy and their new husbands, Thomas and James, are off on a leisurely tour of the Continent. But once they arrive in France, strange things start to happen. Cecy receives a mysterious package, Thomas's valet is assaulted, and Kate loses a glove. Soon it becomes clear that the newlyweds have stumbled upon a magical plot to take over Europe, and they must embark on ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Grand Tour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grand Tour

Res
Jun 08, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sff
The one where Cecy and Kate and their husbands go on a marriage tour of Europe and wind up entangled in a plot.

I'm afraid this lacks a good deal of the charm of Sorcery and Cecelia. It's longer, and more conventional in structure, and while we still get first-person accounts from both Kate and Cecy, they're not talking to each other, so we lose those hints at the cousins' relationship that made the first book so much fun.

My first problem here is that I still can't tell the people apart -- not K
Kelly
Not as evocative as the first. It doesn't pull you in when you start it, and it doesn't hook you afterwards. Unfortunately, the characters are rather boring in this- it might have something to do with the format- there's a switch from the epistolary layout of the first to a diary/testimony layout, and it really is not at all effective. It makes the story seem flat and dull. It doesn't help that the two title characters have become even more boring- Kate has turned into a wilting flower who only ...more
Natalie
This book was cumbersome. Again, the authors engaged in the Letter Game, but this time the main characters, Kate and Cecily were side by side, involved in the same plot. It was interesting to see the different points of view with which they approached each event, but the way the story was set up, it was fraught with problems that plagued the plot and made the story drag.
Cousins Kate and Cecy are on their honeymoons – touring Europe with their husbands, who are best of friends. They stumble ac
Maura
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
1. do not attempt to read this without first reading Sorcery and Cecelia -- it will simply not make much sense.

2. i love Sorcery and Cecelia -- while it's fluff, it's terribly well written fluff. and it's in epistolary format, which i'm a sucker for. i think it's safe to say it's one of the most re-read books on my shelf.

3. this doesn't evoke nearly as much love. which disappointed me greatly for about the first half of the book. eventually the plot engaged me enough to get over it. so if you to
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

Like the first book, we get the story from the perspective of the two protagonists, Kate and Cecy, through their writings; however, instead of letters written back and forth between the two we get Kate's entries from her "commonplace" book - pretty much a diary - and Cecy's deposition of the incident.

It didn't work quite as well in this book as it did in the first.

For one thing, everyone is together on the Wedding/Mystery Tour, so it makes less sense to have it written this way - though it i
Wiebke (1book1review)
Sadly this book is lacking the fun and lightheartedness of the first book. For the most part of the book nothing really happens and the two narrators lose themselves in descriptions, whining and not saying anything.
The end revived some of what I enjoyed about the first time we met these characters, but this just had me wishing they would get to the point and flirt more.
Mike
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was pretty much exactly what I was expecting: more of what I got in Sorcery & Cecilia. This is a good thing. It’s a fun, lighthearted adventure with great characters, some truly funny dialogue, and a goat.
Anna
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A fun book, but not quite as much fun as the first in the series. I was somewhat disappointed in Kate. In the first book she is as involved and dynamic a character as Cecy, but in this book she allows herself to be cowed by almost everyone until the very end and often even seems rather dim, worrying more about her social situation and being a miserable traveler rather than engaging in the mystery at hand.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Amount read: 33%

Though the plot is moving at a faster pace than book one, the episodic nature of the mystery and the lack of character development equals a lack of investment. I was going to force myself through it since it's bought the eBook, but life is short and this book is long.
Emma Rose Ribbons
So good! Even better than the first even if the magic only makes an appearance at the end. I'm loving the authors' portrayal of marital life, the couples are so sweet. Also enjoyed visiting other countries. This series remains delightful.
Cathy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
As with the first book, this was a bit slow and slightly difficult to work through. The story won me over, though, and I powered through the boring bits.

One thing that really irritated me about this book was the fact that several parts of the story were repeated. It is told from the perspectives of two cousins, each taking a turn to fill in a part of their story. But when one ended and the next began, there was often a summarization of the chapter that had just ended, which was unnecessary and f
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during Regency Magic (March & April 2015)

Cecelia and Kate are back in action, together not separate for this adventure, and they're bringing their new spouses along for the honeymoon. Though Kate doesn't think there's any chance she's going to get used to being called Lady Schofield, much as Cecelia is having a hard time remembering she is Mrs. Tarleton, nevertheless they are in wedded bliss. Heading to the continent with Kate
Emily
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
still charming and enjoyable! the scope of the plot of this one is also much more complex / far-reaching than book 1.

some negative-flavored notes from me though:

-i keep on getting cecilia and kate mixed up. their voices are similar enough that i have the epistolary version of faceblindness, especially now that they're in close proximity to each other all the time (in book 1 i could distinguish by "this is the one in the country, and that is the one in london" but now they're always together and
Katie
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I was disappointed by this book - I was charmed by the first one and hoped that the sequel would expand on the adorable characters. Ideally the 'mystery' would have required one or both of the characters to delve into their past or family history. This book was still a quick read, but the slightly disjointed feeling I got from the first novel was increased through the second. Something just felt off and I kept waiting for it to resolve...and it didn't. The men were even more bland, and though I ...more
Chessela Helm
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cecy and Kate's European adventure is stalled by some baddies that are the outside of enough. They and their new husbands explore the continent while engaging in even more shenanigans. Possibly more hilarious than book one.
Dianna
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun!
Emilee Powell
I truly loath travel books. Although I begrudgingly forgive older books that add the grand tour because it was still quite the thing to do, I find it difficult to forgive the boredom of travel in modern recreations. I added a star because I didn't finish the book, so the ending may have earned it. I wasn't willing to finish it to find out.
Meghan C.
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
What can I say? I suppose if I'm being fair, the tagline for this review can be summed up as "not as bad as I remembered". It pains me to not be able to shower praise down on this book. It really does. But I can't will a book to be stellar (would that I could).

I read this book the first time when it was orginally release in a fevered state of excitement that turned quickly to despair. This time around I went in with my expectation bar on its lowest setting and was able to find somethings to enjo
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009, regency
Summary: I was disappointed in this book, but if you liked the first, you should go ahead and plow through this one. The third is better, but you might need background information from this one to understand it.

I was excited about reading this after reading Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot Being the Correspondence of Two Young Ladies of Quality Regarding Various Magical Scandals in London and the Country; unfortunately, this one did not work as well.
Instead of using letters bet
Kelsey Dangelo-Worth
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cecy and Kate are newlyweds to their beloved Thomas and James, and are taking a honeymoon tour of the continent: magical Regency France, Switzerland, and Italy. But, naturally, there is something amiss as they are robbed by highwaymen and someone is trying to steal ancient coronation artifacts in order to gain power over all Europe. Kate is discovering her own unique powers, beyond just being clumsy, and Cecy is practicing hers. Thomas and James are enchanting, literally and figuratively.
This i
hpboy13
The Grand Tour is an enjoyable historical fantasy book, but it unfortunately lacks the charm of its predecessor. This can be attributed solely to Kate’s character. If I recall correctly, Kate was spunky and sassy and fun in the first book. Here, she has transformed into a bog-standard nineteenth-century brat. Out of nowhere, she got social anxiety, to the point where she’s afraid to hire a maid. She barely does anything except worry about the others and babble on about opera. She whines and whin ...more
Margaret
The Grand Tour follows Kate and Cecy of Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot on their joint honeymoon through Europe with their new husbands.

Kate's entries are in the form of a journal, while Cecy's are from a deposition given to the authorities after the events of the book; this makes for a slight disjunction between the heroines, as the reader gets to see Kate's inmost thoughts but not as many of Cecy's. I thought the epistolary style of the first book worked better, though of c
Marie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
On the plus side, Kate and Cecy are more distinguishable as characters than in the first book. The blend of history and mythology and magic is fun. On the other hand, I found it hard to relate to the main characters' opulent, privileged lifestyle, and hard to feel sympathetic toward their missing gloves and bumpy carriage rides and the awkwardness of interviewing French maids. The first book built suspense with romantic (but very chaste) tension, whereas this one relies on magical and political ...more
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much too long. I was forcing myself through by half-way and even though I made it to the end, I'm not sure it was worth it.
Not a bad story, it has lots of twists and turns, but nothing unusual or spectacular. Lots of "Regency" names thrown in, like Beau Brummel and the Duke of Wellington. However, I didn't find their characters added particularly to the story.
The main characters, whether Kate or Cecy, are still very similar except that Kate has become incredibly pathetic and Cecy incredibly ins
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a sequel to Sorcery and Cecelia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot. I loved the first book because it was a compelling, fun, quick read. This book was a bit harder to follow. (Or maybe I was more distracted during this one.)

However, if you liked the first book, you will most likely enjoy this follow-up story. Instead of letters, Cecy is writing a deposition and Kate is simply writing in her journal. Because the format of Kate's entries are more personal, I seemed to enjoy her portions emens
Britain
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-clean-fun
I gave this book five stars because it is worth reading, even though it is not as good as the first one. The thing that didn't work quite so well this time was exactly what made the first one great: the Letter Game. In this book, the cousins' adventures are taken from their personal accounts of the story. Cecelia is writing to a public government audience, while Kate writes in her journal. I preferred the private entries to the public ones. They were more in keeping with the style of the first b ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished reading The Grand Tour (the sequel to Sorcery and Cecilia) and I enjoyed it thoroughly. As the four main characters are together in their adventure this time the story is far more coherent. The characters are allowed to interact from the get go rather than waiting for the details to slowly filter through the back and forth letters. This time the story is told in diary form (again from Cecy and Kate's POV's) and all I can say is that Cecy and Kate are far better diary writers t ...more
Wealhtheow
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
The sequel to Sorcery and Cecilia is significantly less charming than its predecessor. I had a hard time remember which character was which, and who was married to who. I had an equally difficult time caring about the plot. From Kelly's review of the third book, it doesn't look like the series gets much better. Save yourself the effort and reread Dealing with Dragons or Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell.
Tria
As with the first book, ebook editing isn't great & it could have done with a Britpicker, and those things are a shame because they tend rather to distract my OCD-frustrated brain & detract from what is otherwise an excellent trilogy altogether. 4 stars.

NTS: Must remember to fix the series title in the GR title; her name is spelled Cecelia, not Cecilia, though the latter form was far more common in Britain in the Regency than the former...
Aug 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
Not sure if I am going to make it through this. I liked the other two. This one so far is a little boring. We'll see. I am in a real cotton candy sort of reading mood and this series fits the bill.

Really got bored reading this. couldn't keep going. Not as lively or entertaining as the other two books in the series. Lots of descriptions of travel and concern with manners and it just moved way too slowly and the characters became super conventional.
Please fix book title of this edition 2 1 Nov 30, 2018 09:43PM

• Magic Below Stairs
  • The House on Durrow Street (Mrs. Quent, #2)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • A Posse of Princesses
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters, #1)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more

Cecelia and Kate (3 books)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
“It is a great disadvantage to spend one’s time worrying about what may go wrong. When things do go wrong, one would think that worry would’ve prepared one in some way. This is not the case. Instead, the senseless disorder of one’s thoughts grows more and more uncontrollable as one rehearses the events that befell, to no good effect since nothing can undo the damage, no amount of muddled thinking can ever result in any other outcome.” 0 likes