Start by marking “Dragon Search (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Search (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)

Dragon Search (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #2)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  36,651 Ratings  ·  813 Reviews
With the aid of King Mendanbar, Princess Cimorene rescues the dragon Kazul and saves the Enchanted Forest from a band of wicked wizards.
Published July 14th 1994 by Scholastic Point (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Search, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Search

Ahmed  Ejaz
Searching For Dragons, really?
I think in the whole book there was only one dragon.

MY FEELINGS
I was burning with excitement after reading its first book. BUT ugh! This book extinguished every flare of excitement and left me damped. As you know wet things don't catch fire rapidly. Hehehe... I think that was the worst comparison ever made. I don't know how it came in my mind.
Back to the point, this was not the book I was expecting from the author of Dealing With Dragons. beginning was almost si
Jessica
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't ever properly reviewed this series, but just let it be known that it's the greatest series about dragons of all time, and I mean better than my books, better than anything. I think more than anyone else, Wrede's writing in this series is my biggest influence.
Aubri
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patricia C. Wrede has been one of my favorite authors for her witty, original use of common fantasy themes. This is the 2nd book of her 4 book series, and is one of my favorites. This book is a great read for all ages, with laugh out loud humor.
Violence: mild g-rated violence with melting wizards, and fighting rock-snakes.
Language: Mendenbar takes the Lord's name in vain about 3 times, but that is all, the rest is "he cursed under his breath," etc.
Sexual themes: G-rated pressure for Mendenbar t
Melanie (Novel Descent)
Enjoying rereading this series. I didn't like this one as much as the first but I still found it a lot of fun.
C.W.
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
4.5-ish. Really enjoyed this a lot - even more than the first one!
Kendra
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Lord, I love these books so much. Searching for Dragons follows the adventures of Cimorene, but is told from the point of view of Mendanbar, the King of the Enchanted Forest. Mendanbar is as unconventional as Cimorene, and just as subject to being nagged about the proper way to do things. The change of perspective is nice, and also enables the reader to see exactly how charming Cimorene is from the outside.

One of the things I appreciate about Wrede is the fact that, while her characters bemoan t
MrsJoseph

4.5 stars rounded down to 4 stars

Yet another adorable submission to the Enchanted Forest Chronicles! I simply adored Searching for Dragons and I’ve decided I really need to finish the entire series.

In Searching for Dragons the reader gets to meet up with Cimorene (Dealing with Dragons) again. This time, Kazul (King of the Dragons) is missing and it’s up to Cimorene to find her.

Read the rest here: http://bookslifewine.com/r-searching-...
Alexa
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I loved this sequel as much as its predecessor! In fact, perhaps a little more, but only because I'm a sucker for journeys to complete quests and I really liked the whole host of new characters we get to meet too. It's a very enchanting little tale, and once again, a lot of fairytale tropes turned on their heads!
Michaela
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fanatic or not
Recommended to Michaela by: Erica (sis)
Why is it that reviews on the back of books never do the book justice? Mendanbar is hot and awesome and awkward. And Finally there is a man cool enough for tough Cimerene. Plus, several scenes with wizards make me so... happy.
Hilary
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sasha
The second book in The Enchanted Forest Chroniclesis, in my opinion, a worthy follow up to the first. While it focuses on Mendanbar, the King of the Enchanted Forest, rather than Cimorene the plot is still extremely engaging and as humorous as the first. Indeed, Morwen and Kazul are both present as well, and plenty of time is taken up expanding the Enchanted Forest and adding to its unlikely - and charming - lore.

King Mendanbar discovers that the Enchanted Forest is losing some of its land, as w
Morgan
After loving 'Dealing with Dragons' for so long, I was really disappointed with myself for not finishing the series. I decided to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, I was not NEARLY as pleased with the 2nd book in the series as I was the 1st.

Searching for Dragons is a follow-up of Cimorene, and the Dragon King Kazul. However, Kazul has been missing for days and no one has any leads. Suspecting the ever sneaky wizards, Cimorene decides to take matters into her own hands and find Kazul. However
Noella
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Searching for Dragons introduces a new character, Mendenbar, who is the king of the Enchanted Forest. Mendenbar stumbles across burnt spots in his forest and a bunch of dragon scales in the area. On the way to figuring out the story behind everything, he meets Morwen and Cimorene. This installment had Cimorene taking a back seat so we didn't get to see much of her witty and clever side which was a shame. Mendenbar was definitely the 'main' character in this one. I didn't find him all that likeab ...more
Cloie Rainilla

Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Santoro
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medeval-fantasy
If you liked the first book, you'll certainly like this one... we actaully get to experience the Enchanted Forest for which the series is named, and it's King, who is the main character of this volume.

It has all the fun shout outs and endearing character bits of the first book, and does a nice job tying together different bits of the world.

The action, though, was a bit lacking, and the eventual resultion was rather easy and obvious... thus leading me to knock a star off this one. One could almos
Kathleen
Oh, Enchanted Forest Chronicles. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1) Badass princess. Cimorene is a joy. She's smart and dry and witty and funny, stubborn, self-contained, clever, on the ball. All the best plans are hers, and she has no patience with fairy-tale tropes for herself, while occasionally tolerating it in others.

2) Badass prince. Or king, I suppose. Much like Cimorene, he has little patience for fairy tale tropes, though some reluctant admiration for those who make it work f
Mary Catelli
The third book in The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, if you start with Talking to Dragons (which really works best.)

This one is told from the point of view of Mendanbar, King of the Enchanted Forest. I'm afraid that my initial impression of him was Another Royal Who Doesn't Do His Duty, because his opening scene is of his refusal to do anything that his steward is complaining about his not doing.

However, things pick up when he finds a section of the Enchanted Forest has been ruined. And there are
Katherine
4,5/5*

Občas chodívám hlídat děti jedné známé. Pohádka o princezně Cimoreně je pro ně ta nejoblíbenější ze všech. Horké maliny, draci s rýmou a princezna, která nesnáší vyšívání a rozhodně nechce být zachráněna princem - komu by se nelíbilo. Jsem ráda, že jim konečně budu moct odpovědět na zapeklitou otázku "A CO BYLO DÁL?".

Jestli máte rádi pohádky alespoň maliličkatou trošičku, přečtěte si to. Slibuju, že se vám to bude líbit.
První díl vyšel i v češtině (S princeznami to není lehké) a dá se žít
Kaethe
October 7, 2007
July 21, 2014

Sometimes a king just wants to walk away from all the tedious business of running a country, especially if he's the only one doing all the tedious work of running the country. Even more so if he has an officious steward looking reproachfully at him all the time because he won't do things the proper way. Fortunately there's a sort of crisis developing involving those nasty wizards and small areas of ecologic devastation to the Enchanted Forest, so Mendenbar can go walk
Amy
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
In the sequel to Dealing With Dragons, the Dragon King Kazul is kidnapped. Princess Cimorene and the King of the Enchanted Forest join forces in their search.

Rumpelstiltskin makes a cameo appearance, as does the Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk. There's also a magic flying carpet. I really liked the Wicked Uncle and the gargoyle.

Perhaps it's because I've read both in the same month, but the Enchanted Forest Chronicles remind me a lot of the Howl's Moving Castle Books. Both authors have a light-
Ana Rînceanu
The second installment in series is told from the perspective of Mendanbar, King of the Enchanted Forest. As a practical man, he has an aversion to princesses whom he considers silly. What will he think of Cimorene?

This book was funny and filled with adventures, the only complaint I have is that there is so much princess shaming (meaning Cimorene is described again and again as 'not being like the other Princesses"). It just reeks of I'm not like other girls and that's not cool. Maybe in the nex
Bryn Clegg
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute little fantasy story that I have been reading before bed every night. Spunky heroine, unique take on casting spells, and enjoyable dialogue. Definitely written for a young age group but fun for adults too.
Beth
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Much more of the fantasy romp I remember it being (unlike my recent reread of book 1!) though quite frankly I didn't buy Mendanbar and Cimorene's falling in love. At all.
ShoSho
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect!
Whitney
Mendanbar, king of the Enchanted Forest, Cimorene, princess of dragon Kazul, a sword that leaks magic, and a faulty magic carpet must travel to find the missing King of the Dragons. They must find her before her dragon-nappers do something devastating to Cimorene's friend.

Plot

Searching for Dragons should actually be called “Searching for Dragon” (singular) because it’s Kazul, King of the Dragons, who is missing. Mendanbar, the king of the Enchanted Forest that was never mentioned in the first b
Pam
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mommy-s-shelf
Another great book in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles! The author's style is just right. Things I loved in this book include:

"The Right Honorable Wicked Stepmothers' Traveling, Drinking and Debating Society" and the fact the Wrede gives them a "Men's Auxiliary" Great idea!

Frost Giants on page 156...Just read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman...perfect!

Use of one of my favorite nursery rhymes from the oversize book of my youth... "Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever." Probably my favorite all ti
Natalie
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread for the zillionth time. Still delightful, although every time I read it, I get more annoyed by the device of Cimorene not understanding Telemain's magical jargon. Since she's the one who's studied multiple magic systems and read her way through a magical library, it would make so much more sense for her to be explaining things to a confused Mendanbar, since he's never formally studied magic and learned how to use his through intuition and trial-and-error. Sigh.
Emily
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful sequel. I wish the edition I had had omitted the author's introduction, which had major spoilers for the subsequent books (apparently #2 and #3 were written after #4). I think my kids will like this series.
aja
am i rereading these specifically because they're short & quick & i want to up my book count for the year so i'm not a million & twelve books behind on my reading goal? why yes. yes i am.

they still count tho
Kassie
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another re-read and it was just as enjoyable as the first. Reading the introduction by the author, helped lay some background for the story that I didn't know when I read the first time through.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #133 - Searching For Dragons 1 1 Sep 02, 2014 05:33AM
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • Dragon's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)

“Mendanbar took a deep breath. “You could stay here. At the castle, I mean. With me.” This wasn’t coming out at all the way he had wanted it to, but it was too late to stop now. He hurried on, “As Queen of the Enchanted Forest, if you think you would like that. I would.”
“Would you, really?”
“Yes,” Mendanbar said, looking down. “I love you, and—and—”
“And you should have said that to begin with,” Cimorene interrupted, putting her arms around him.
Mendanbar looked up, and the expression on her face made his heart begin to pound.
“Just to be sure I have this right,” Cimorene went on with a blinding smile, “did you just ask me to marry you?”
“Yes,” Mendanbar said. “At least, that’s what I meant.”
“Good. I will.”
Mendanbar tried to find something to say, but he was too happy to think. He leaned forward two inches and kissed Cimorene, and discovered that he didn’t need to say anything at all.”
50 likes
“Well, it doesn't sound particularly noble and knightly to say you've rescued the Chief Cook and Librarian, does it? And it has cut down on the number of interruptions. I used to get two or three knights a day, and now there's only about one a week. And the ones who do come are at least smart enough to figure out that I'm still a princess even if the dragons call me Chief Cook” 40 likes