Start by marking “Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)

Searching for Dragons

(Enchanted Forest Chronicles #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  39,810 ratings  ·  1,004 reviews
Kidnap a dragon? How daring!
How stupid

Cimorene, the princess who refuses to be proper, is back--but where is Kazul the dragon? That's what Cimorene is determined to find out.

Luckily--or perhaps not-so-luckily--she's got help: Mendenbar, the not-very-kingly King of the Enchanted Forest, has joined her in her quest. So with the aid of a broken-down magic carpet, a leaky mag
Published November 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,203 books — 2,271 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
2,332 books — 8,646 voters

More lists with this book...

·  39,810 ratings  ·  1,004 reviews

Jessica
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't ever properly reviewed this series, but just let it be known that it's the greatest series about dragons of all time, and I mean better than my books, better than anything. I think more than anyone else, Wrede's writing in this series is my biggest influence.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, full-lengths
Searching For Dragons, really?
I think in the whole book there was only one dragon.

MY FEELINGS
I was burning with excitement after reading its first book. BUT ugh! This book extinguished every flare of excitement and left me damped. As you know wet things don't catch fire rapidly. Hehehe... I think that was the worst comparison ever made. I don't know how it came in my mind.
Back to the point, this was not the book I was expecting from the author of Dealing With Dragons. beginning was almost si
Aubri
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Patricia C. Wrede has been one of my favorite authors for her witty, original use of common fantasy themes. This is the 2nd book of her 4 book series, and is one of my favorites. This book is a great read for all ages, with laugh out loud humor.
Violence: mild g-rated violence with melting wizards, and fighting rock-snakes.
Language: Mendenbar takes the Lord's name in vain about 3 times, but that is all, the rest is "he cursed under his breath," etc.
Sexual themes: G-rated pressure for Mendenbar t
Kendra Castle
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Lord, I love these books so much. Searching for Dragons follows the adventures of Cimorene, but is told from the point of view of Mendanbar, the King of the Enchanted Forest. Mendanbar is as unconventional as Cimorene, and just as subject to being nagged about the proper way to do things. The change of perspective is nice, and also enables the reader to see exactly how charming Cimorene is from the outside.

One of the things I appreciate about Wrede is the fact that, while her characters bemoan t
Noella
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Searching for Dragons introduces a new character, Mendenbar, who is the king of the Enchanted Forest. Mendenbar stumbles across burnt spots in his forest and a bunch of dragon scales in the area. On the way to figuring out the story behind everything, he meets Morwen and Cimorene. This installment had Cimorene taking a back seat so we didn't get to see much of her witty and clever side which was a shame. Mendenbar was definitely the 'main' character in this one. I didn't find him all that likeab ...more
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
Enjoying rereading this series. I didn't like this one as much as the first but I still found it a lot of fun.
Amy
Slow re-read over the past few weeks. A charming story with the ever un-traditional and amazing Cimorene, the wise Morwen, intellectual Telemain, and sweet Mendanbar. I really love them all.

Am I officially getting old? Mendanbar is practically a baby, just 20!
C.W.
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-audiobook
4.5-ish. Really enjoyed this a lot - even more than the first one!
Giselle Bradley
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
How can I even begin to describe my love for this book and the whole series? This book is about The King of the Enchanted Forest, Mendanbar, who hates princesses. When he's out for a walk he runs into a burnt a magic-stripped section of the Enchanted Forest. Worried that it might be dragons burning down his forest he goes to visit the King of the Dragons, Kazul. To his dismay he discovers that she has a princess. Princess Cimorene to be exact. But Kazul is missing. Together Mendanbar and Cimoren ...more
Morgan
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
After loving 'Dealing with Dragons' for so long, I was really disappointed with myself for not finishing the series. I decided to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, I was not NEARLY as pleased with the 2nd book in the series as I was the 1st.

Searching for Dragons is a follow-up of Cimorene, and the Dragon King Kazul. However, Kazul has been missing for days and no one has any leads. Suspecting the ever sneaky wizards, Cimorene decides to take matters into her own hands and find Kazul. However
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

4.5 stars rounded down to 4 stars

Yet another adorable submission to the Enchanted Forest Chronicles! I simply adored Searching for Dragons and I’ve decided I really need to finish the entire series.

In Searching for Dragons the reader gets to meet up with Cimorene (Dealing with Dragons) again. This time, Kazul (King of the Dragons) is missing and it’s up to Cimorene to find her.

Read the rest here: http://bookslifewine.com/r-searching-...
Alexa
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this sequel as much as its predecessor! In fact, perhaps a little more, but only because I'm a sucker for journeys to complete quests and I really liked the whole host of new characters we get to meet too. It's a very enchanting little tale, and once again, a lot of fairytale tropes turned on their heads!
Michaela
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fanatic or not
Recommended to Michaela by: Erica (sis)
Why is it that reviews on the back of books never do the book justice? Mendanbar is hot and awesome and awkward. And Finally there is a man cool enough for tough Cimerene. Plus, several scenes with wizards make me so... happy.
Lia Ung
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful.
Fox
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sasha
The second book in The Enchanted Forest Chroniclesis, in my opinion, a worthy follow up to the first. While it focuses on Mendanbar, the King of the Enchanted Forest, rather than Cimorene the plot is still extremely engaging and as humorous as the first. Indeed, Morwen and Kazul are both present as well, and plenty of time is taken up expanding the Enchanted Forest and adding to its unlikely - and charming - lore.

King Mendanbar discovers that the Enchanted Forest is losing some of its land, as w
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are many things I like about Enchanted Forest Chronicles and obviously the characters are the main reason, but having read this series 4 times now I still really love the magic system of the forest.

It's nothing new really, it's just so cool to me - the way King does his spells. When I read this book for the first time I thought that all of those threads and knots of magic were the coolest thing ever. Still do.

“I'm sorry. I'm used to people objecting to things because they think I can't d
Allie
My 11 year old son gave this 5 stars. It was fun!
Ellen
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, young-adult
Continues to be a charming re read.
Whitney
Mendanbar, king of the Enchanted Forest, Cimorene, princess of dragon Kazul, a sword that leaks magic, and a faulty magic carpet must travel to find the missing King of the Dragons. They must find her before her dragon-nappers do something devastating to Cimorene's friend.

Plot

Searching for Dragons should actually be called “Searching for Dragon” (singular) because it’s Kazul, King of the Dragons, who is missing. Mendanbar, the king of the Enchanted Forest that was never mentioned in the first b
Cheryl
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've done reading the whole series, so will copy these comments to 3rd and 4th book, too.

Love the humor. Love the breezy adventure and endearing characters. Each book focuses on different folks, but the sequence events counts, and I do not recommend trying to read them as stand-alones. The ending of #2 is a bit worrisome, and the ending of #3 is a cliff-hanger, and #4 does have some intensity not necessarily suitable for the youngest readers. On the whole, they're clean and fun, I'd say fine for
Missy Ansell
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, fantasy
You could stay here. At the castle, I mean. With me.

Cimorene teams up with King Mendenbar in order to rescue the King of the Dragons, Kazul, from the evil wizards!

Filled with as much adventure as the first! Can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Also the audiobook has a full cast, so its pretty much amazing.
Tirzah Eleora
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
Fun sequel to Dealing with Dragons! Not a huge fan of Mendanbar (he's a bit bland) and I really missed Kazul, but it's still a great quick read.
Queen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I call this "no nonsense whimsy" - which is at the burning heart of my wheelhouse.
Minna
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Santoro
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medeval-fantasy
If you liked the first book, you'll certainly like this one... we actaully get to experience the Enchanted Forest for which the series is named, and it's King, who is the main character of this volume.

It has all the fun shout outs and endearing character bits of the first book, and does a nice job tying together different bits of the world.

The action, though, was a bit lacking, and the eventual resultion was rather easy and obvious... thus leading me to knock a star off this one. One could almos
Ann
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Wrede's writing reminds me of Diana Wynne Jones sometimes, except less quirky and much more simplistic. But simple isn't always a bad thing. Her plots are basic and her characters are caricatures, but that's an intentional parody of classic fairy tales. Her books are fairy tales playfully spun around and turned on their heads. Wrede knows she's being cheesy, but she embraces the cliche with cheeky charm.

With that said, I have a bone to pick with this book. Dealing with Dragons (the first book in
Emma (howlsmovinglibrary)
This sequel was slightly disappointing, because one of the things I enjoyed about the first book was that Cimorene was allowed to dislike traditional princess behaviour without looking down on the other women who were more conventional. In this book, we see things from the perspective of the King of the Enchanted Forest, Mendanbar, and he often just dismisses women as 'silly' or 'annoying' throughout the narrative.
Kathleen
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Enchanted Forest Chronicles. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1) Badass princess. Cimorene is a joy. She's smart and dry and witty and funny, stubborn, self-contained, clever, on the ball. All the best plans are hers, and she has no patience with fairy-tale tropes for herself, while occasionally tolerating it in others.

2) Badass prince. Or king, I suppose. Much like Cimorene, he has little patience for fairy tale tropes, though some reluctant admiration for those who make it work f
Mary Catelli
The third book in The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, if you start with Talking to Dragons (which really works best.)

This one is told from the point of view of Mendanbar, King of the Enchanted Forest. I'm afraid that my initial impression of him was Another Royal Who Doesn't Do His Duty, because his opening scene is of his refusal to do anything that his steward is complaining about his not doing.

However, things pick up when he finds a section of the Enchanted Forest has been ruined. And there are
Anne Fletcher
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second book of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Searching For Dragons, follows King Mendanbar of the Enchanted Forest on his quest to find out who has destroyed a part of his realm. He meets up with Cimorene along the way and the two find themselves united against a common enemy as Cimorene tries to track down Kazul, the king of the dragons, who has gone missing.

The new perspective in this book as opposed to the last is refreshing and fascinating. I love that the Enchanted Forest Chronicles
Madison Mega-Mara...: #133 - Searching For Dragons 1 2 Sep 02, 2014 05:33AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • The Arkadians
  • A Hidden Magic
  • Song of the Wanderer
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards #3)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more

Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
“Mendanbar took a deep breath. “You could stay here. At the castle, I mean. With me.” This wasn’t coming out at all the way he had wanted it to, but it was too late to stop now. He hurried on, “As Queen of the Enchanted Forest, if you think you would like that. I would.”
“Would you, really?”
“Yes,” Mendanbar said, looking down. “I love you, and—and—”
“And you should have said that to begin with,” Cimorene interrupted, putting her arms around him.
Mendanbar looked up, and the expression on her face made his heart begin to pound.
“Just to be sure I have this right,” Cimorene went on with a blinding smile, “did you just ask me to marry you?”
“Yes,” Mendanbar said. “At least, that’s what I meant.”
“Good. I will.”
Mendanbar tried to find something to say, but he was too happy to think. He leaned forward two inches and kissed Cimorene, and discovered that he didn’t need to say anything at all.”
50 likes
“Well, it doesn't sound particularly noble and knightly to say you've rescued the Chief Cook and Librarian, does it? And it has cut down on the number of interruptions. I used to get two or three knights a day, and now there's only about one a week. And the ones who do come are at least smart enough to figure out that I'm still a princess even if the dragons call me Chief Cook” 40 likes