Start by marking “In the Hands of the Senecas” as Want to Read:
In the Hands of the Senecas

In the Hands of the Senecas

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
These stories tell how the Indians captured pioneer women on the warring frontier in revolutionary New York, how the rigours of frontier life affected the women and how, in many cases, they were equal to the situation. The book is organised as a series of loosely-related narratives.
Published October 1st 1995 by Syracuse University Press (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about In the Hands of the Senecas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Hands of the Senecas

Lonna Pierce
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This 1947(!)historical fiction novel by Walter D. Edmonds, (Drums Along the Mohawk & Newbery Medal winner, The Matchlock Gun)tells a gripping narrative of several white Indian captives from upstate NY in 1778. This is an era when a white scalp would fetch $8.00 in Niagara from the British. The stories are varied, believable, & apropos for New Yorkers to understand both Native American and colonist viewpoints in the 18th century. I found it on my bookshelf, and read it in a day!
Mark Valentine
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Rescue me. As a captivity narrative, Edmonds milks the genre as dry as a corn stalk in September. The worst part about this novel is the embedded racism against the Senecas and the League of the Iroquis.

Hard to believe that the white race should feel so utterly moved by the pathos of their women being captured by the Senecas when the whites forced Africans into slavery for centuries and called it good because it was 'legal.'

Hard to believe that the innocent homesteaders should feel disgust by
Pugalicious
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book takes place in New York during the time period of 1776 to 1784. It is a collection of short stories originally published in the Saturday Evening Post in 1937, fictionalizing the lives of a number of white women captured by the Seneca Indians. Much of it takes place near the Genesee River in Western New York where I grew up. As a child my family often visited the cabin and grave of Mary Jemison, a white girl captured by Iroquois Indians in 1759 and later sold to the Seneca Indians. She ...more
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Of the stories in the Reader's Digest "The Pioneers", only one was set in New York and it was this book. It really reminded me of "The Last of the Mohicans" because it involved the war and people being taken by Indians. It showed what happened to people when they lived with Indians - the experiences were all very different. I thought it was a pretty good book.
Michelle
Nov 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Not for young/middle children.
Amy
May 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Fast, easy read. Historical Fiction of the area I now live.
Kayla
Nov 26, 2016
Adam Maman
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Walter D. Edmonds has been a National Book Award winner and recipient of the Newbery Medal. He is the author of Bert Breen’s Barn, The Boyds of Black River, In the Hands of the Senecas, Mostly Canallers, Rome Haul, Time to Go House, and most recently the autobiographical Tales My Father Never Told, all available from Syracuse University Press.
More about Walter D. Edmonds...