Start by marking “The Mislaid Magician; or, Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mislaid Magician; or, Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)

The Mislaid Magician; or, Ten Years After

(Cecelia and Kate #3)

Ten years have passed since Kate and Cecy married Thomas and James, and England is now being transformed by the first railways. When the Duke of Wellington asks James to look into the sudden disappearance of a German railway engineer, James and Cecy's search reveals a shocking truth ...

The railway lines are wreaking havoc with ancient underground magical ley lines, which c
Published November 1st 2006 by Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Mislaid Magician; or, Ten Years After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mislaid Magician; or, Ten Years After

Start your review of The Mislaid Magician; or, Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This third book in the Regency fantasy series Cecelia and Kate is cute but forgettable. The series falls off in quality as it goes along.
Kelly
This should really be retitled Being the Private Correspondence of Two Families... Which Explains Why It Would Only Be Of Interest to These Two Families. Come on, book, everyone knows the Tolstoy rule of happy families: "All happy families are alike." Which is why one could not be interested in the slightest in reading hundreds and hundreds of pages about them- especially when the excuse of a plot couldn't be more lame, or less suspenseful. Oh, please, do not get me started on the characters- or ...more
Lightreads
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read the two sequels to Sorcery and Cecelia in one go. More tales of upper-class nineteenth-century magical England, told by letter and written recollection.

Eh. A lot of the giddy charm of the first book was apparently novelty, because it had really worn off by the end here. And without it you have some generic sort of intrigue, some jokes that aren't actually funny, and historically creepy gender politics. Not bad books, you know? Just nothing more than vaguely neutral, if you know what I mea
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical fantasy
The third in the series started by Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (a book that was out of print for many years and only enjoys its current revival thanks to the popularity bestowed to youth fantasy by a certain British author and her bespectacled wizardy brat), this book joins the apparently growing genre of period fantasy written in the style of Jane Austen (the only other example of which I know is Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange Mr Norrell).

If you really enjoy this genre
Anna
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Cecy and Kate have become staid married mothers, at least in their own estimation, but that does not stop another adventure from enfolding them. Cecy is now an experienced magician while Kate only knows the few spells that she really cares about, but happily she is back to the same feisty person she was in the first book. There is a lot going on here with mysterious seemingly unconnected events happening to the cousins on opposite ends of the country which, it slowly emerges, are not so unconnec ...more
Hallie
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings for me with this one!

At various times I thought; this is funny!; this is a bit dull; this doesn't have the fizz of the first; whoa - ley lines - cool!; this [spoiler] rocks; I'm not quite involved enough to follow all the twists and turns; early days of the railway - fun; What?! It was preventing Cromwell from -- what are you *saying*?!; LEY LINES - very cool!; oh great, now we have a stereotypically bolshie, up-himself Irishman; the [spoiler] is even better now; enough with the
Margaret
Ten years after the events of The Grand Tour, Kate and Thomas and Cecy and James are settled down on their respective estates with their families, when James is asked to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a German railroad engineer who was traveling in England. The investigation quickly opens a whole can of worms and draws in Kate and Thomas also, as well as other family members (I was particularly pleased to meet Aunt Elizabeth again).

The epistolary story moves along nicely and is cle
LeahBethany
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounding up. The Mislaid Magician was a fun, light read and almost as good as the first book in the series. The authors do a good job with epistolary writing, their characters are warm and funny, Regency England makes a great setting and adding a bit of magic makes the book charming.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
As the title says, this volume picks up 10 years after 'The Grand Tour', and Kate and Cecelia are both settled into their families with Thomas and James and their various broods.

Once again the story is told via letters back and forth, and this has some of the same issues as before - it took me a bit to settle back into which character was which, and had to remind myself at the start of ever perspective change who was who.

(Part of this is just my brain acting in odd ways. As they are written in
Rachel
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I genuinely enjoyed this book. I've really liked the series from the time I started it, so I was very excited to continue on with it.

This book follows Kate and Cecelia ten years after the Grand Tour, and now they have children. Both families have stayed connected to one another and are very close. When James is sent to examine railroads and disturbances in Northern England, he and Cecelia leave their children with Kate and Thomas. Although very different stories at first, the views of both coup
CatBookMom
Quite short, but still interesting. Not as good as the first book or even the second.
Debbie
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
One star is probably too harsh but two stars...can't do it. Again, this suffers because none of our characters are really in danger - in the first book - there was a powerful magician trying to kill Kate and Thomas - and Cecy takes on a powerful magician trying to take Thomas's magic. It's not that things don't happen to them in this story but it is only a by product of their investigation - not a direct attack because of who they specifically are.

In the first book - the story is told between le
Eden
2019 bk 398. Back in The Grand Tour, mention is made of the quartet's self then and what it will be in ten years. Wrede and Stevermer provide us this look at the ten year image in this book. Thomas/Kate and James/Cece have multiple children with varied talents. Kate, after learning 3 spells, is satisfied to go no further with her magic while Cecelia continues to study and learn. Wellington is now the Prime Minister and he has a job for James and Cece - find a missing German magician/surveyor in ...more
Kerri
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This one was much better than the second, but not quite as fun as the first. I did like the inclusion of Thomas and James' correspondence in this one as they were a nice mix-up of voice and approach. Especially as there were still times where Kate just annoyed me so badly. All in all, a fun read though nothing spectacular. Pretty predictable but interesting systems of magic and mostly likeable characters.
Chessela Helm
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cecy and Kate, now older and wiser... okay, let me start again. Cecy and Kate, now older and sassier, continue onward with their shenanigans while being mothers. Still funny. Still sticking their noses into things. Literally, in Kate's case. A great conclusion to their adventures.
Emma Rose Ribbons
Enjoyable enough, though a tad more tedious than the other two. It was fun to follow the girls' live since I've become so fond of them but the second book was much more entertaining.
Wiebke (1book1review)
After the first third driveled on a lot it got a bit better and more happened. Still it did not live up to the fun I remember from the first book. I'm mostly glad to have finally finished the series.
Mike
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one took me a loooooooong time to get to. It wasn't bad, as such, just didn't entertain me like the previous two did. A somewhat disappointing end to an otherwise extremely fun series.
Leanna
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I only somewhat liked Sorcery and Cecilia, and I did not like The Grand Tour. So why did I put myself through reading the third installment of Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer’s trilogy? Clearly, I am insane.

Like Sorcery, The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years After is written in epistolary form. Cousins Cecilia and Kate correspond with each other (along with occasional, inane missives from their husbands).

I was initially intrigued by Wrede and Stevemer’s writing experiment. The authors exchange
Kelsey Dangelo-Worth
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The third book in this Regency magical mystery epistolary series finds Cesy and James leaving their children with Kate and Thomas while they track down a missing magical surveyor who was investigating the connection between ley lines and the new iron trains. Meanwhile, though, Kate and Thomas find themselves saddled not only with Cesy’s too clever by half twins, but with a mysterious child, Drina, who will not talk of her past. Magicians are turning into dogs, there is a social-climbing and obno ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
After its prequels, Sorcery and Cecelia and The Grand Tour, this book is just ... sort of average. Not a bad book, but not as exciting as the other two.

13 June 2010: after reading Magic Below Stairs, I thought it would be interesting to give this another look.
Ketrisse
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Ordinarily a big fan of both the authors, this was a poor showing for both of their talents. There was too much inundation of technical information that in the end seemed pretty irrelevant and unimportant. The pacing of the story was stilted and extremely slow. The connection to the characters was not strong. I kept waiting for Something, anything exciting to happen. It didn't. All in all I was disappointed that nothing (other then the addition of children) had really changed about the character ...more
Angela
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hooray! This third book in the "Cecilia & Kate" series makes a return not only to the epistolary style of the first, but also to the upbeat pace and fun character developments that were missing in the second. It still falls a step behind "Sorcery & Cecelia" in relative plot believability and clarity, but it had some of the same strengths and even a few novelties to recommend it: This time, in addition to letters between Kate & Cecelia, we are privy to letters between Thomas & James, which I foun ...more
Erin
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong--even though I didn't rate this book as highly, I did enjoy reading it. Kate and Cecy feel like old friends, and spending a little time with them is always fun.

It's just that I think long-termed wedded bliss is hard to write in an interesting way (not impossible, just hard) and for me it felt like a little bit of the spark was missing. Kate and Cecy as young moms just didn't feel quite as engaging--although the kids were cute!

I did like the plot, which was nice and twisty and
Deena
I wanted this to be better than it was... I adore the first one, I liked the second one almost as much, and this wasn't bad - but it could have been better.

To their credit, their use of "Drina" was accurate, which pleased me very much. I'd love to see them do additional titles that occur between the second and third volumes in the series.
Allison
Done! After plenty of skimming through accounts of children's encounters with snakes and frogs, tossed in with some mild magical mystery not nearly captivating enough (although occasionally slightly amusing), I'm just happy to mark this as finished and select the next book to read. Out of the trilogy, the first book was really the only one I would recommend to others.
Sue
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the view of raising upper crust children in magical Victorian England, the novelty has worn off and the plot got a little too tedious in this entry of the trilogy.

I still admire the author's view and character set up, but it was a lackluster ending to what is obviously a lot of work.
Rhode
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Basically an epistolary epilogue to the prior two books. I'm fond enough of the characters and the world being portrayed, along with the wit of the authors, to enjoy this. But it's not for the non-fan.
Nora Adamek
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, same issue I had with the other letters. I was enjoying the volley and all of a sudden the end came. Liked the letters from Thomas and James, gave more insight to how useless these men would be without their wives!
Danielle T
I'm really glad I sought out book 2 (The Grand Tour before starting this because otherwise I'd wonder at the number of introduced characters, though would probably still be doable. While tGT has the girls writing in journals because they're travelling together, The Mislaid Magician returns to epistolary, adding in their husbands' perspectives. For the most part, they only communicate with their counterpart except for one situation but I suppose that can be handwaved as "Well, these cousins have ...more

• A College of Magics (A College of Magics, #1)
  • A Scholar of Magics (A College of Magics, #2)
  • The Glass Magician
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales #1)
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
  • Defy or Defend  (Delightfully Deadly, #2)
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales
  • Newt's Emerald
  • The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #4)
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • The Spellcoats (The Dalemark Quartet, #3)
  • Cart and Cwidder (The Dalemark Quartet, #1)
  • Spindle's End
  • A Sinister Establishment (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #6)
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2)
  • A Choir of Lies (A Conspiracy of Truths, #2)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more

Cecelia and Kate (3 books)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Grand Tour (Cecelia and Kate, #2)