Start by marking “The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)

The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After

(Cecelia and Kate #3)

Ten years have passed since Kate and Cecy married Thomas and James, and England is now being transformed by the first railways. When the Duke of Wellington asks James to look into the sudden disappearance of a German railway engineer, James and Cecy's search reveals a shocking truth ...

The railway lines are wreaking havoc with ancient underground magical ley lines, which c
Published November 1st 2006 by Harcourt (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mislaid Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mislaid Magician

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This third book in the Regency fantasy series Cecelia and Kate is cute but forgettable. The series falls off in quality as it goes along.
Kelly
This should really be retitled Being the Private Correspondence of Two Families... Which Explains Why It Would Only Be Of Interest to These Two Families. Come on, book, everyone knows the Tolstoy rule of happy families: "All happy families are alike." Which is why one could not be interested in the slightest in reading hundreds and hundreds of pages about them- especially when the excuse of a plot couldn't be more lame, or less suspenseful. Oh, please, do not get me started on the characters- or ...more
Lightreads
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read the two sequels to Sorcery and Cecelia in one go. More tales of upper-class nineteenth-century magical England, told by letter and written recollection.

Eh. A lot of the giddy charm of the first book was apparently novelty, because it had really worn off by the end here. And without it you have some generic sort of intrigue, some jokes that aren't actually funny, and historically creepy gender politics. Not bad books, you know? Just nothing more than vaguely neutral, if you know what I mea
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical fantasy
The third in the series started by Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (a book that was out of print for many years and only enjoys its current revival thanks to the popularity bestowed to youth fantasy by a certain British author and her bespectacled wizardy brat), this book joins the apparently growing genre of period fantasy written in the style of Jane Austen (the only other example of which I know is Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange Mr Norrell).

If you really enjoy this genre
Hallie
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings for me with this one!

At various times I thought; this is funny!; this is a bit dull; this doesn't have the fizz of the first; whoa - ley lines - cool!; this [spoiler] rocks; I'm not quite involved enough to follow all the twists and turns; early days of the railway - fun; What?! It was preventing Cromwell from -- what are you *saying*?!; LEY LINES - very cool!; oh great, now we have a stereotypically bolshie, up-himself Irishman; the [spoiler] is even better now; enough with the
Margaret
Ten years after the events of The Grand Tour, Kate and Thomas and Cecy and James are settled down on their respective estates with their families, when James is asked to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a German railroad engineer who was traveling in England. The investigation quickly opens a whole can of worms and draws in Kate and Thomas also, as well as other family members (I was particularly pleased to meet Aunt Elizabeth again).

The epistolary story moves along nicely and is cle
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
As the title says, this volume picks up 10 years after 'The Grand Tour', and Kate and Cecelia are both settled into their families with Thomas and James and their various broods.

Once again the story is told via letters back and forth, and this has some of the same issues as before - it took me a bit to settle back into which character was which, and had to remind myself at the start of ever perspective change who was who.

(Part of this is just my brain acting in odd ways. As they are written in
Rachel
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I genuinely enjoyed this book. I've really liked the series from the time I started it, so I was very excited to continue on with it.

This book follows Kate and Cecelia ten years after the Grand Tour, and now they have children. Both families have stayed connected to one another and are very close. When James is sent to examine railroads and disturbances in Northern England, he and Cecelia leave their children with Kate and Thomas. Although very different stories at first, the views of both coup
CatBookMom
Quite short, but still interesting. Not as good as the first book or even the second.
Debbie
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
One star is probably too harsh but two stars...can't do it. Again, this suffers because none of our characters are really in danger - in the first book - there was a powerful magician trying to kill Kate and Thomas - and Cecy takes on a powerful magician trying to take Thomas's magic. It's not that things don't happen to them in this story but it is only a by product of their investigation - not a direct attack because of who they specifically are.

In the first book - the story is told between le
Chessela Helm
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cecy and Kate, now older and wiser... okay, let me start again. Cecy and Kate, now older and sassier, continue onward with their shenanigans while being mothers. Still funny. Still sticking their noses into things. Literally, in Kate's case. A great conclusion to their adventures.
Emma Rose Ribbons
Enjoyable enough, though a tad more tedious than the other two. It was fun to follow the girls' live since I've become so fond of them but the second book was much more entertaining.
Wiebke (1book1review)
After the first third driveled on a lot it got a bit better and more happened. Still it did not live up to the fun I remember from the first book. I'm mostly glad to have finally finished the series.
Mike
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one took me a loooooooong time to get to. It wasn't bad, as such, just didn't entertain me like the previous two did. A somewhat disappointing end to an otherwise extremely fun series.
Leanna
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I only somewhat liked Sorcery and Cecilia, and I did not like The Grand Tour. So why did I put myself through reading the third installment of Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer’s trilogy? Clearly, I am insane.

Like Sorcery, The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years After is written in epistolary form. Cousins Cecilia and Kate correspond with each other (along with occasional, inane missives from their husbands).

I was initially intrigued by Wrede and Stevemer’s writing experiment. The authors exchange
Kelsey Dangelo-Worth
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The third book in this Regency magical mystery epistolary series finds Cesy and James leaving their children with Kate and Thomas while they track down a missing magical surveyor who was investigating the connection between ley lines and the new iron trains. Meanwhile, though, Kate and Thomas find themselves saddled not only with Cesy’s too clever by half twins, but with a mysterious child, Drina, who will not talk of her past. Magicians are turning into dogs, there is a social-climbing and obno ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
After its prequels, Sorcery and Cecelia and The Grand Tour, this book is just ... sort of average. Not a bad book, but not as exciting as the other two.

13 June 2010: after reading Magic Below Stairs, I thought it would be interesting to give this another look.
Ketrisse
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Ordinarily a big fan of both the authors, this was a poor showing for both of their talents. There was too much inundation of technical information that in the end seemed pretty irrelevant and unimportant. The pacing of the story was stilted and extremely slow. The connection to the characters was not strong. I kept waiting for Something, anything exciting to happen. It didn't. All in all I was disappointed that nothing (other then the addition of children) had really changed about the character ...more
Erin
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong--even though I didn't rate this book as highly, I did enjoy reading it. Kate and Cecy feel like old friends, and spending a little time with them is always fun.

It's just that I think long-termed wedded bliss is hard to write in an interesting way (not impossible, just hard) and for me it felt like a little bit of the spark was missing. Kate and Cecy as young moms just didn't feel quite as engaging--although the kids were cute!

I did like the plot, which was nice and twisty and
Angela
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hooray! This third book in the "Cecilia & Kate" series makes a return not only to the epistolary style of the first, but also to the upbeat pace and fun character developments that were missing in the second. It still falls a step behind "Sorcery & Cecelia" in relative plot believability and clarity, but it had some of the same strengths and even a few novelties to recommend it: This time, in addition to letters between Kate & Cecelia, we are privy to letters between Thomas & Jam ...more
Deena
I wanted this to be better than it was... I adore the first one, I liked the second one almost as much, and this wasn't bad - but it could have been better.

To their credit, their use of "Drina" was accurate, which pleased me very much. I'd love to see them do additional titles that occur between the second and third volumes in the series.
Allison
Done! After plenty of skimming through accounts of children's encounters with snakes and frogs, tossed in with some mild magical mystery not nearly captivating enough (although occasionally slightly amusing), I'm just happy to mark this as finished and select the next book to read. Out of the trilogy, the first book was really the only one I would recommend to others.
Sue
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the view of raising upper crust children in magical Victorian England, the novelty has worn off and the plot got a little too tedious in this entry of the trilogy.

I still admire the author's view and character set up, but it was a lackluster ending to what is obviously a lot of work.
Nora Adamek
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, same issue I had with the other letters. I was enjoying the volley and all of a sudden the end came. Liked the letters from Thomas and James, gave more insight to how useless these men would be without their wives!
Rhode
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Basically an epistolary epilogue to the prior two books. I'm fond enough of the characters and the world being portrayed, along with the wit of the authors, to enjoy this. But it's not for the non-fan.
William Leight
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The third in a series of epistolary novels, this one starts to show the limits of the format. In “Sorcery and Cecelia”, the first of the books, Kate and Cecelia’s adventures, though running on parallel tracks, were largely independent. In the second book, both participated in the same set of events, which would have made it rather odd for them to be writing letters about them to each other: instead, the book used Kate’s diary and Cecelia’s testimony to a Foreign Office inquiry as its sources. Th ...more
Kate Berry
Dottie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was ok. I would put it at a 3.5 star. I do like the series, but it definitely loses its charm as it goes along. Cecy's character comes across as bitter most of the time. Kate doesn't really actively do anything to progress the story. A fair amount of the story deals with domestic bliss in that time period. As a mother of two young children, it was kind of annoying to read pages and pages of the troubles of child rearing when the nurses handled most everything. Having the men write to e ...more
Jesse C
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
A fine conclusion to the series, but it definitely runs out of gas before the end of the novel. The constraints placed on plotting and suspense by the epistolary format really shows here. The first novel coasts on bubbly charm and the dual-threat of magical discovery and romance. With neither of those engines in play here, the story drags along. And with the limited POV, secondary characters are hardly developed at all. None of this makes the novel bad, but it isn't a resounding success like the ...more
Susan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Cecelia's husband has been asked by the prime minister to look for a missing surveyor who had been examining a railway line. So she and James leave their children with her cousin Kate and her wizard-husband Thomas and head north, only to find themselves involved with a brother and sister who think they should be wealthier and more important than they are, their cousin's husband, and a strange trap for wizards (James, who lacks any magical talent, is fortunately immune). The novel in letters this ...more
  • A Scholar of Magics (A College of Magics, #2)
  • The House on Durrow Street (Mrs. Quent, #2)
  • Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2)
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • A Stranger to Command
  • Freedom and Necessity
  • The Runaway Dragon
  • Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, #3)
  • The Hidden Land (The Secret Country, #2)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more

Cecelia and Kate (4 books)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Grand Tour (Cecelia and Kate, #2)
  • Magic Below Stairs
“News of Daniel's disappearance does not alarm me as it might have done a week ago. Given recent events, very little alarms me as it might have done a week ago. I feel as if my supply of alarm has been exhausted, at least temporarily.” 21 likes
“She who laughs last may not invariably laugh best, but she does laugh.” 10 likes