Start by marking “Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work” as Want to Read:
Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work

Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Love takes work, but, when it comes to relationships, it pays to work smarter. Couple Skills, Second Edition, revised and updated from the therapist-recommended classic, will show you how to work smarter in your relationship. You'll learn to improve communication, cope better with problems, and resolve conflicts with the one you love in healthy and creative ways. Each chap ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by New Harbinger Publications (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Couple Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Couple Skills

Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read with lots of helpful exercises .I think it's A Must-read for couples or anyone as these skills are so essential to understander the psychology behind relationships and how they work ,Highly recommend it for Everyone :)
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Here is a lovely idea: good relationships are not born, they are built. In other words, there are skills you can learn and practice and get better at that will make communication "clean" and relationships manageable. And reading the mean and nasty example conversations will make you and your partner look like saints.

This book is very direct, cracker-dry and clinical, with very clear step-by-step directions for cleaning up communication, identifying damaging patterns and upping positive feedback
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Good information - a little dry. What I like best about it is that it is a collection of a la carte skills - no big grand theory to swallow first. I am a little burned out on grand theories that aim to explain the entire reason for relationships and how to fix everything about them. It never seems to really work out the way you hope. So this book doesn't do that so much. Huzzah.
Destiny D
I read this book for a relationship class and it was very informative. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their relationships with friends, children or lover. It really makes you look at yourself and how you interact with others.
Mar 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
it sucked
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I chose this book for a project in my community college communications class. Overall, in my opinion, it was an okay book. I'm more a fictional reader so I wasn't that into it. But, for being my second non-fiction book I have had to read in college I enjoyed it. I believe this book would be really helpful for people searching for a "self-help" kind of way to better a relationship. However, if you are really trying to use the book to develop new skills you should really utilize the activities the ...more
Joan Concilio
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
My counselor assigned me to research a specific piece of this book - pararaxic distortions. It was an interesting enough book that I read through it all. Not a ton of "brand new" information, but pretty solid advice overall, and some truly laughable examples of what not to say and do in a relationship. The parts that interested me most were the lists of cognitive distortions and the concept of the "couple system."
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a solid CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) book focused on couple skills. It is written in a very straightforward and somewhat dry manner but the information is very relevant and useful and as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker I can definitely imagine using this book as a reference for clients (and myself) in the future. I was especially impressed with the exercises throughout the book which can really help hone skills and work through specific personal problems.
Lisa Alfriend
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Only useful book for my career assigned in college..
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still reading.
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Resourceful book, with techniques which can be used in daily life. Skills are backed up with relevant theories and researches.
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the better 'relationship' books I've read. The authors know their stuff. They give good examples. They're professional. They're realistic. I'd recommend this to anybody for any situation.
Ruth Merlin
Nov 13, 2015
Lauren Phillips
Aug 04, 2014
Kate Cubitt
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2016
Jan 24, 2012
Mary Emily O'Hara
This book might save everyone.
Holly Vipond
Jul 17, 2013
May 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Marriage Rules: A Manual for the Married and the Coupled Up
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
  • Bridges Not Walls: A Book About Interpersonal Communication
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Marriage Fitness: 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
  • Extraordinary Relationships: A New Way of Thinking about Human Interactions
  • Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love
  • You Are Your Choices: 50 Ways to Live the Good Life
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship
  • Tree Spirited Woman
  • Passionate Marriage: Keeping Love and Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships
  • Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create More Love and Less Conflict
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • Devotions for Dating Couples: Building a Foundation for Spiritual Intimacy
  • Relationship Rescue: A Seven-Step Strategy for Reconnecting with Your Partner
Matthew McKay, PhD, is a professor of psychology at the Wright Institute in Berkeley, and author of more than 30 professional psychology and self-help books which have sold a combined total of more than 3 million copies. He is co-founder of independent self-help publisher, New Harbinger Publications. He was the clinical director of Haight Ashbury Psychological Services in San Francisco for twenty ...more
More about Matthew McKay...

Nonfiction Deals