Start by marking “Marvels” as Want to Read:
Marvels

Marvels (Marvels #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  23,014 Ratings  ·  522 Reviews
"Marvels is a giant leap forward in the evolution of illustrated literature."
—Stan Lee

Within the Marvel Universe, heroes such as Spider-Man swing from rooftop to rooftop, while the Avengers soar high in the skies. These figures, blessed with fantastic superhuman abilities, stand ready to battle the villains who threaten their world. Yet living in the shadow of these extrao
Hardcover, 10th Anniversary Edition, 398 pages
Published January 1st 2004 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Marvels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvels

Alejandro
Marvelous reading!!!

This TPB edition collects “Marvels” #0-4, plus commentary section by the involved people even an introduction by Stan Lee, also an artwork section.

Creative Team:

Writer: Kurt Busiek

Illustrator: Alex Ross

A TIME(LY) WHEN MARVEL YET TO PROPERLY BORN

Maybe you have seen material mentioning the 75 years of Marvel, and technically that’s true, but it’s a fact that the company was called “Timely Comics”, and while it’s the same company, it’s obvious that in the 40’s, they were sti
Dan Schwent
Photographer Phil Sheldon experiences what it's like to live in a world of super heroes, from the rise of the Human Torch in the late thirties all the way to the dawn of the mutants, the first appearance of Galactus, and the death of Gwen Stacy.

When Marvels first hit scene, I was a wee lad of 17. The internet was in its infancy and comic shops were dying by the dozen. As it became easier to come by comics, or "graphic novels" if you're too cool to read comics, I always had a mind to read this bu
Kemper
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 17: Marvel At Marvel’s Marvelous ‘Marvels’!

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers previously stored and forgotten at my parent’s house and untouched for almost 20 years. Thanks to my father dumping them back on me, I now spend my spare time unearthing lost treasures from their plastic depths.

I would hate to be a New Yorker in the Marvel universe because it seems like the city is constantly being threatened by s
David Schaafsma
I just read Ed Brubaker's Marvels Project and liked that a bit better, but it may just be a matter of taste. I like Brubaker's and Steve Epting's earthier noir approach versus the glossier, more dramatic work of Busier and Ross. But I gave both 4 stars. They both take a kind of unique wide angle, meta and historical approach to the history and purpose of comics; both are approaches to the inception of the Golden Age of superheroes in the late thirties, as WWII loomed (for the US). We see the lov ...more
Jonathan

In my view Marvels is one of, if not the greatest, comics released by Marvel Comics. I first encountered it as a twelve year old and have read it several times since. And each time I encounter again what it is that makes Marvels a stand out work in the Marvel universe of comics.

The artwork in Marvels is clearly a stand-out feature. Though Alex Ross is better known for his work in the also grand Kingdom Come I personally prefer his artwork here where he first worked his unique stylistic magic. In
Jesse A
It took me a bit to warm up to this one but by the end I had come around. Obviously great art and a very good story. I know they shared the artist but I felt like this had a Marvel's version of Kingdom Come feel (though I know this came first so maybe Kingdom Come was DC's version of this).
Nicolo Yu
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross’ Marvels is their love letter to the superheroes of the Golden Age and Silver Age of Marvel Comics. Theirs is a tale that examines the Marvel universe through the eye of an everyman character, Phil Sheldon. Like his fellow unpowered denizens, he and his family have to live through every invasion, super-villain attack and the coming of Galactus fearing that each crisis would bring about the end of their world.

The story brought it acclaim and the theme explored in several
Artemy
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very bland book story-wise that is only saved by Alex Ross and his beautiful painted artwork.

It's basically a condensed history of the Marvel universe shown from the perspective of the regular people. As a result, we don't really see any of the superheroes doing anything heroic, and the regular folks' perspective doesn't bring anything interesting to the table by itself. If anything, it makes it even more obvious how arbitrarily and illogically hate is distributed among the superheroes in the
Sesana
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read Marvels more times than I can possibly count. Thousands of other people have written glowing reviews so much better than I ever could. Let me just say that I love this book, I always have. The experience of reading it is always magical for me, completely enthralling. And the art, that makes it all feel so real while I'm reading it... This goes very high on my list of all-time favorite comics.
Kayıp Rıhtım
Süper kahramanların gerçek olduğu bir dünyada sıradan bir insan olmanın nasıl olacağını hiç düşündünüz mü? Bahsettiğim şey, mesela yarın, birdenbire şehrinizde süper kahramanlar belirseydi ne hissederdiniz? Tüm o patlamalar, yıkılan binalar sizin yaşadığınız şehrin göbeğinde olsaydı?

Marvels, yani Mucizeler işte süper kahramanlar dünyasına bu şekilde yaklaşıyor. Bir süper kahraman çizgi romanı olsa da, olayı kahramanların gözünden değil, sıradan bir haber fotoğrafçısının gözünden anlatıyor.

“Muciz
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1
  • DC: The New Frontier, Volume 1
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath
  • Top 10, Vol. 1
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;
More about Kurt Busiek...

Marvels (2 books)