Start by marking “Conan: Book of Thoth” as Want to Read:
Conan: Book of Thoth

Conan: Book of Thoth

(Conan: Book of Thoth #1-4)

Writers Kurt Busiek and Len Wein, creator of Wolverine and SwampThing, team up with the grandmaster of horror art, Kelley Jones, to tell thehorrifying origin of Thoth-amon Conan's greatest adversary!Inthe dank alleys of a decaying city, a beggar child conjures visions of a futurewhere, instead of spitting on him in the streets, the rich and privileged cowerin fear of his t ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Dark Horse Books (first published December 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Conan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan

Start your review of Conan: Book of Thoth
Johnny Andrews
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
No, Conan, however a still intriguing and dark read full of dark magic, religion and politics. A prequel to how the evil Thoth-Amon became the bitter and conniving character that he is.
Any fan of Conan's world should delve into this story based tale.
Ben
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Weird illustrations, but curiously fitting with the story and it definitely gave this volume a feeling of one story as a whole. It was somewhat weird how different some of the characters looked from scene to scene or angle to angle, making it quite hard to tell exactly who people were without a bit of a double-take. Yet in other scenes, especially the more supernatural scenes, the art was quite atmospheric.

The story itself has nothing to do with Conan, but is set in the same world as Conan, pres
Austin
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those Who Worship Crom
Recommended to Austin by: Crom
Conan: Book Of Thoth was originally published as four, 40 page comics as a spin-off of the monthly Dark Horse title. Kurt Busiek has written quite a few good Conan tales, but it's Len Wein who I was most excited about. Most people probably know Len, if at all, because he co-created the character Wolverine, but my heart lies with his first creation, Swamp Thing, and that's what made me pick this book up. I figured that Len = Horror, and Conan = Fun, so it was a combination that I couldn't pass up ...more
Παναγιώτης Δεληγιάννης
Άλλο ένα διαμαντάκι από το σύμπαν του Κόναν.
Πως άρχισαν όλα?
Πως επανήλθε στο προσκήνιο η λατρεία του απαγορευμένου Θεού Σετ και η μαύρη μαγεία?
Η προιστορία των λαών πριν εμφανιστεί ο Κόναν, που ρίχνει φως σε πολλά σκοτεινά σημεία και δικαιολογεί τους αγώνες ενάντια στο κακό του αγαπημένου μας βάρβαρου!
Ryan Haupt
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
This barely got the 2-Start rating. The writing was tedious and the art was unimpressive and inconsistent, so much so that characters ages and appearances appeared to change randomly from panel to panel. I think the world of Conan may only be interesting through the context of the heavy-drinking, barroom-brawling, fun-loving Conan.
Timothy Boyd
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent comic series. Here the beginnings of the great wizard of Conan's age is told. Very recommended
Daniel
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Found this through a friend who is a fellow REH fan. This is the story of Thoth-Amon, the greatest and most diabolical of the Conan villains. It begins with his abusive upbringing on the streets of Memphia, capitol of Stygia. He lies and swindles his way into the good graces of Great Karanthes, the High Priest of Ibis, the patron deity of Memphia. He discovers an ancient tome concerning the dark god Set and begins his descent into the ultimate evil. Thoth turns the priests of Ibis, having those ...more
M.H.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Having read nothing else in the series, and knowing little to nothing about Conan, I picked this up at the library. I was surprised that there was no Conan--not even a cameo as far as I could tell--but was even more surprised to find the story rich and engaging. Busiek packs a lot in these pages and deftly humanizes a villain. 4.5 stars
Book collector
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
A good story giving a nice backstory to a villain in the world of conan. I liked the story but wasn't to keen on the art.
Pete
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a mini series about a one-time Conan villain, this was better than it had any right to be. I enjoyed it a lot!
Γιώργος Μπελαούρης
very nice ark
i love busiek s conan comics
Newton Nitro
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A Dark Horse fez mais do que reviver a obra de Robert E. Howard nos quadrinhos. Com o trabalho de roteiristas e artistas fodásicos, a Dark Horse está contribuindo para expandir o mundo hiboriano mantendo o espírito sombrio e violento dos contos de Howard. E esse trabalho continua com uma minisérie que partiu de uma premissa interessante: qual é a história do feiticeiro mais “motherfucker” da era hiboriana, o grande Toth-Amon?

Toth-Amon é o perfeito antagonista de Conan. Diferente do bárbaro, o fe
Paul
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
so, when is a Conan book not a Conan book?
When its about his main "nemesis" Thoth...
Good origin story of a chracter I wasn't even interested in knowing what his origin story was actually.
Although I've always "known" that Thoth Amon was Conan's greatest enemy, part of me didnt really care, I really prefer stories where Conan goes from threat to threat without having any re-occuring bad guys. Get him to confront and kill a monster, then move on to the next adventure. Re-occuring characters just ge
Rob McMonigal
Nov 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Date read is approximate. Read in single issue form. This was an okay entry in Busiek's Conan work that tries to delve into the past of one of Conan's foes. Unfortunately, it was just a bit too predictable to be up to my usual standards for Kurt. Still, the Kelley Jones art fits the mood perfectly, and it's still a good comics series. If you're a fan of Busiek, Jones, or the Conan mythos, this is worth a look.
Seizure Romero
Conan mythos back story of the origins of Thoth-Amon, a recurring character in the Marvel Comics version of Conan, but who only appeared once (and was mentioned twice more) in the original Robert E. Howard tales. Kelley Jones' artwork is impressive; the man can draw a mood.
B.  Barron
Nov 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
I tried, lord knows I tried. Its writing is okay, and its artwork is also okay – but I only managed to get ¾ of the way through before a thought overpowered me and I put it back.

It’s Fan Fiction!

And not particularly good or clever fan fiction. Disappointing really.
Michael
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A great little side story involving two boys named Thoth and Anon, and the gods, Set and Ibis. Niceness.
Valerio
Questo volume raccoglie la miniserie dedicata alle origini del personaggio di Thoth Amon che si affianca alla serie regolare di Conan pubblicata dalla Dark Horse.
Christopher
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to come! :D
Dave
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
First chapter started off well but the next three parts were blah. Still, great art by Len Wein.
Daryl
Interesting origin story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Skyward #1
  • Conan and the Demons of Khitai
  • ドラゴンボール超 3 (Dragon Ball Super, #3)
  • Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Hop On Pop
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach
  • Look! I Can Read!
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition revised, Stock #2159)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Conan and the Songs Of The Dead
  • The Damnation Game
  • Books of Blood: Volume Three (Books of Blood #3)
  • Conan and the Midnight God
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • No Longer Human
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

Conan: Book of Thoth (4 books)
  • Conan, el Libro de Thoth 1