Start by marking “The Case Of The Shapely Shadow (Perry Mason, #63)” as Want to Read:
The Case Of The Shapely Shadow (Perry Mason, #63)

The Case Of The Shapely Shadow

(Perry Mason #63)

When a restless and sexually adventurous tycoon sets himself up for blackmail, Perry Mason finds an eyeful of glamour means a fistful of trouble...

Was the shapely shadow that followed Morley Theilman, his beautiful ex-showgirl wife...his attractive ex-wife who still carried a torch...or his pretty secretary disguised as a Plain Jane?

And which of these lovelies would kill t
Paperback, Large Print, 178 pages
Published January 5th 1963 by Pocket Books, Inc. (first published June 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Of The Shapely Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Of The Shapely Shadow

Start your review of The Case Of The Shapely Shadow (Perry Mason, #63)
Evgeny
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A woman came to Perry Mason for a consultation. His secretary Della Street decided she looked intriguing and convinced her boss to see the potential new client. What caught Della's eye was the fact that the woman while quite beautiful did everything she could to appear as unattractive as possible: clothes, makeup, hairdo, ugly glasses, etc. I personally imagined a modern hipster.
hipster

She was a secretary suspecting her boss of being blackmailed. The guy gave her a heavy suitcase asking to deliver it
Milt Jacobs
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perry Mason is tougher, threatening to break someone's leg, and more romantic, kissing Della Street, than he is in the tv show.
Ed
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, legal
#63 in the Perry Mason series. This entry had a sharp departure from the usual progress of a Parry Mason mystery; at the end of chapter eleven, Perry receives a subpoena for a grand jury hearing - chapter twelve starts with the grand jury hearing over, Perry's client indicted and the jury trial beginning - all with no indication of how much time has passed. Once the trial starts Perry uses stipulations and rules of procedure for the benefit of his client and the consternation of DA Hamilton Burg ...more
Evelyn
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
As is true of the later mysteries in the Perry Mason series, this book lacks the playful interactions and innuendos between Perry Mason and Della Street that were characteristic of the books in the series written in the 1940s where Della played an integral part in the plots, although it hints at them in the events at the beginning of the book. Nevertheless this is an entertaining read which follows the general plot line of a Perry Mason mystery although there are a few variations such as the cas ...more
Aravena
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-and-law
"I'll give you factual information. I'll give it to you the same way that you have given factual information to me. I will tell you what I have told the police. I will not put all my cards on the table until you are in a position to put all your cards on the table. "

The book (and the entire Perry Mason series) in a nutshell.

Standard stuff for the series: a shady client asked Perry's legal advice for a dangerous situation, a body eventually turned up, and Perry had to defend his client from a lo
विकास नैनवाल
The case of Shapley Shadow is 63rd novel in the Perry Mason series by Erle Stanley Gardner.
The book is an entertaining read from start to finish.The author is able to hide the mystery of the Shapley shadow from the reader till the very end, which makes it a very satisfactory read for me.
If you like good mysteries and a good court room drama, then you would not be disappointed by it.
You can my complete views by clicking on the link below:
The case of Shapley Shadow
Richa
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice. Especially the last page. I did guess who the real culprit was... but some minor things got me confused alright..
Anna
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story shows "what newspaper characterizes as some of the fastest legal legerdemain that was ever pulled in a local courtroom." Whenever there is a real trial in front of grand jury we can be sure there will be something spectacular going on and I wasn't disappointed.
The story begins in Mason’s office. When Della persuades him to squeeze an intriguing girl in who stopped by the office. She is very beautiful, as always, but tries to make herself look unattractive, which naturally, is quite th
Libraryassistant
A bit more of a hard-boiled mystery than I usually think of Perry Mason— leans a little more toward Marlowe than Ironside. Still, I could totally hear the characters in the voices from the original TV show. I always liked Della Street.

The plot is pretty clever in the context of the time, and I didn’t get who the murderer was until almost the end.
Robert A Keene
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised this 1960 first edition was a good whodunit. Having read most of the 82 Stanley Gardner Perry Mason books and all written before 1960, the characters are set in stone, but trying to figure out the actual plot is usually very challenging.
Ashley
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading Perry Masons and this was no different. I will say I think there was too much court time for this one and the repeating drives me a little crazy sometimes.
Shary
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-sale
My first Perry Mason book to read. No need for the TV show to hire a screenwriter, this book could have gone directly to screen. Definitely a fun period piece.
Aparna
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stars: 4 / 5
Recommendation: For everyone who have fetish for courtroom drama, this is the lawyer's case files that one would definitely want to read.

The Case of the Shapely Shadow is the 63rd installment of the Perry Mason series by Erle Stanley Gardner published in October of 1960. The case deals with the usual mystery with his client and the court room drama that follows for Perry Mason.

The plot begins with a plan Jane type of girl, Janice Wainwright, comes to Perry Mason with an ethical pro
Stephen Osborne
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whoa, this one actually goes to a jury trial! Most of the time, Mason gets his client acquitted during the preliminary hearing. But other things are as usual. Mason engages in some courtroom tricks, Paul Drake thinks, for once, that Perry's client is guilty, and Hamilton Burger gets humiliated (how does this guy continue to be the District Attorney, when he can't seem to win a case and seems to lose his temper at the drop of a hat?) Also as usual, the mystery is next to impossible to solve (I'm ...more
Les Anderson
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simply one of the best Perry Mason novels about courtroom tactics. Through the use of rules of procedure Mason is able to get his client acquitted. The amusing thing is that the vital clue could have been introduced by Mason as he presented his case. Mason, as we have seen many times, prefers the dramatic touch. The truth about what happened wasn't a big surprise although the actual killer wasn't obvious to me. Nevertheless, an excellent courtroom drama.
Doug Dams
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This case involves a blackmail plot, beautiful women and of course a murder. The only clue Perry has to work with is his client caught a glimpse of a woman's shadow on the sidewalk when he looked out a window. How Perry Mason, the detective Paul Drake and his secretary Della Street eventually solves the identity of the shadow is an example of the logic a good lawyer seems to have. An easy and fun read.
Donna
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
My first book of the new year! Have not ready any Perry Mason books for a while, although I have been collecting them for some time. A really good mystery, with lots of plot twists and turns. Perry Mason was one of my favorite shows as a kid-can picture the characters as I am reading. Perhaps this is the reason I love mysteries. Good historical read as well, showing court and police procedures of the early 60's, and how to track down leads with no internet!!
James Vest
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A good case full of twists and turns, but who's ending ultimately leaves something to be desired.
Dule
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
best court books ever
Jeffrey Marks
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
A complex but interesting case for Perry. One of the few in the late part of the series that actually gets to a jury trial.
Rijo John
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Good mystery.
Pamela Strickland
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Classic Perry Mason! I became acquainted with Sir Walter Scott's Lochinvar through a literary reference made by the author. Who knew?
Vincent Darlage
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I loved the way this one ended.
John
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardner
Typical Perry. For any who enjoyed the TV series these books are very entertaining
Freya
Jasmine
Nov 30, 2010
Sowmya
Jun 04, 2014

• The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • Desperate Characters
  • How God gives us popcorn
  • Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot, #16)
  • Mrs Funnybones
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: More Stories Not for the Nervous
  • After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #31)
  • Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine March/April 2020 (Vol 155, Nos. 3 & 4)
  • The Giant Rat of Sumatra (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Serial Killer's Daughter
  • Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot, #22)
  • An American Outlaw (John Whicher #1)
  • Trustee from the Toolroom
  • The Grand Sophy
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine January/February 2019 (Vol 153 nos 1&2)
  • Death in the Clouds (Hercule Poirot, #12)

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason, #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason, #6)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason, #10)

News & Interviews