Start by marking “Case of the Daring Divorcee” as Want to Read:
Case of the Daring Divorcee

Case of the Daring Divorcee

(Perry Mason #74)

Perry Mason and Della Street were both out to lunch. Gertie, the receptionist and telephone operator, was indulging in her favorite noontime occupation - munching chocolates and reading a love story - when the door burst open and a woman rushed in.

Gertie got her name, all right, dimly registered the fact that she was not only very attractive buy very upset at having to wai
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published May 12th 1983 by Ballantine Books (first published October 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Case of the Daring Divorcee, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Case of the Daring Divorcee
Evgeny
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Perry Mason and Della Street were out to lunch a young woman came to his office. She could not wait for long time so after a short while she left. Upon coming back Mason discovered that she left her purse which contained among expected things a recently fired gun.
Purse
Needless to say a dead body made such with that same gun soon appeared and Mason found himself defending the purse's owner. A plot twist: she insisted she was not in Mason's office and that her purse was stolen.

This was just the
Richa
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Extremely confusing! Too many likely suspects for my taste. It almost seemed as if, Gardner held a lottery of suspects and conveniently thought up a plausible explanation for the guilt of the lottery winner! Too convenient.
Bob
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense) may find Gardner's writing style a bit dry, and the dialog a bit unrealistic. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1953 are the best. This is one of the latest ones, written i
Whistlers Mom
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm on a Perry Mason binge, picking them up as they're offered on sale. Last week I read THE CASE OF THE CURIOUS BRIDE, which was published in 1934. I decided to read THE DARING DIVORCEE (published in 1964) to see how things had changed in Mr. Gardner's fictional world in thirty years. Not much, really. Perry and Della and Paul Drake (who should all be ancient) are still young and energetic and good-looking. They haven't aged a day and I wish I knew how they do it.

Some other things haven't chang
Samyuktha jayaprakash
Petr Matafonov
It's Perry Mason book by the numbers:

• Attractive mysterious lady as a client, who doesn't show her cards – ✓
• Legal shenanigans regarding marriage – ✓
• Courtroom traps – ✓
• Paul Drake places his legs over the arm of overstuffed chair – ✓✓✓

When I start reading it, I wasn't sure I didn't finish it before, so much formulaic it was, but it's what I was looking for: a familiar murder mystery. Sadly, the overall case is very weak. The final conclusion is especially disappointing. There's no twist, th
Dave
Perry Mason novels are Gardner's unique way of plotting a detective mystery, but using a lawyer as the main character. In Perry Mason novels, often clients arrive at his office in unusual ways and this novel is no exception. Here, a mysterious woman, identifiable only by her giant sunglasses, leaves her purse at his office with something rather incriminating in it. The mysteries abound as Mason tries to unravel who the woman is, whether he represents her, whether she is getting divorced, and whe ...more
James Vest
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Red herrings fly from Los Angeles to Las Vegas as Perry Mason juggles two identical guns between a cavalcade of suspects leading up to lots of eleventh hour courtroom heroics to sort out fact from fiction.
Andrew Bisacre
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story!
Huma
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this Mason, I rather felt it was too short.
Bob Box
Read in 1975. Perry Mason mystery courtroom drama.
Ryan
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel so proud of myself right now. Ever since I was a little kid I've been in love with Perry Mason, the TV show that is, but I had never read one of the 80 plus novels and short stories. Because of that when I found this book in hardcover a while back at the library book store for $1 I had to get it. Now the book I bought doesn't have this cover on it, but I kind of wish it did. The cover is amazing, in a retro way, but beyond that the book was only $.35. I could only dream of new books being ...more
Conina
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ърл Стенли Гарнър е име, с което съм израснала. Баща ми го четеше редовно, а когато дораснах за детективски истории, той ме насочи именно към него. Харесвах го, ала нашите книги бяха от поредицата за Улф, та Пери Мейсън не ми беше толкова познат (но пък песента на Ози Озбърн... ах...). Уви, нито капка от магията, която изживявах като дете, се повтори. През 60% от книгата се повтаряше едно и също, което ми късаше нервичките.
ПМ към 1: Вие ли сложихте пистолета?
1: Да, аз сложих пистолета, 2 ще пот
Ed
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#72 in the Perry Mason series. A tale of mistaken identity and convoluted relationships. Interesting sidebars on the legal aspects of divorce and wills.

Perry Mason series - Adele Hastings visits Mason's office while he is at lunch and says shell wait to see him. After a while she leaves the office and says she'll be right back but never returns. A purse is found behind the chair she was using and it contains a recently fired gun. When Mason tracks Adele Hastings down at her apartment in Las Vega
Nitish
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: courtroom
You sit to read a Perry Mason book, and that's what you get here. The story is brilliantly weaved altogether. Foundation of the story is laid so well, it will be hard to leave you with any doubts by the time you finish the book. Authors like Erle Stanley Gardner used to write these kind of books way back 1930s, for me it's a pity why don't they write books like these nowadays.
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I definitely like the early Mason books better than the later ones. I didn't think the mystery in this story was all that compelling, and even though there were clues that pointed to the solution, I felt like it was a little bit out of left field. This book did have a few funny moments, but the plot fell short for me.
Austen to Zafón
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, noir, own-hb
Dang, I love me some on-paper Perry Mason. I mean don't get me wrong; for years Raymond Burr's Mason was all I thought a man should be. But the Mason of the books is darker, more ambiguous, and altogether more willing to bend the law if he thinks that will be advantageous. And the titles are to die for, don't you think? The Case of the Daring Divorcee! Oh, darling, isn't it just too risqué!
Les Anderson
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gardner always obfuscates the truth with other evidence. I suppose that happens in real court cases too. The trick is that neither us nor Mason gets the vital evidence until near the end. But you need to use clues presented earlier to figure it all out. A pretty good mystery with an interesting set-up.
Versel Rush
Maybe I've become more discerning as I've gotten older but this is not a particularly good Perry Mason book. The "tie ups" in the last chapter are just that--4 pages of explanations of what occurred off stage. The chapter before has Perry telling what he figured out. Not a lot of action. Courtroom scenes were still great.
Yue
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read almost every book starring Perry Mason. I used to be a huge fan. Now, I don't know if it is because the story was too slow or if the books are starting to look alike for me, but I did not like this one very much.
Patrick Garvey
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is Perry Mason ever wrong?

Gardner and Mason never disappoint. Relaxing her gripping and entertaining reading as always. High brow literature, no, but classic law and order novel indeed!!
Marilyn
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty dated and the style a little stiff. It was written like a screen play, all dialog and little description. I could picture Perry, Della Street and Paul Drake from the old TV series. Not a bad mystery.
Jeffrey Marks
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting in that the daring divorcee to my mind was not Perry's client, but wife #2 instead.
Rijo John
Nice
Vincent Darlage
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is one of the weaker mysteries in the Perry Mason series. The wrap-up was too quick and certain facts were unfairly held from the reader to determine who did it.
Somyajeet
One of the most weakly crafted Perry Mason case...really, it was very disappointing in comparison to Gardner's craftsmanship.
Mike
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Perry Mason story, and I was pleasantly surprised. I could picture the characters according to the tv show.
Rishigesan
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story about Mystery
Terry Waldo
Aug 05, 2017

• A Family Affair (Nero Wolfe, #46)
  • Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Jeeves, #13)
  • Hot Shot (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery #10)
  • Guilty Not Guilty
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • And Be a Villain  (Nero Wolfe, #13)
  • The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings
  • The Many Worlds of Andre Norton
  • Pale Gray for Guilt (Travis McGee #9)
  • The Final Reckoning (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #4)
  • Please Pass the Guilt (Nero Wolfe, #45)
  • Little Big Man (Little Big Man #1)
  • Detectives and Young Adventurers: The Complete Short Stories
  • The Path of Flames (Chronicles of the Black Gate #1)
  • A Phule and His Money (Phule's Company, #3)
  • Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company, #2)

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason, #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason, #6)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason, #10)

News & Interviews