Start by marking “Frida” as Want to Read:
Frida

Frida

When her mother was worn out from caring for her five sisters, her father gave her lessons in brushwork and color. When polio kept her bedridden for nine months, drawing saved her from boredom. When a bus accident left her in unimaginable agony, her paintings expressed her pain and depression - and eventually, her joys and her loves. Over and over again, Frida Kahlo turned ...more
Published February 1st 2002 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Frida, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frida

Start your review of Frida
Katrisa
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am doing a great artist study with my kinders and I got this book to introduce them to Frida Kahlo. What a great book! The art is fantastic and gives a good intro for kids to Frida. I checked this out from the library, but this is definitely one I am going to buy for my classroom!
David
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
If you want young readers to know “just the facts, ma’am,” about renowned Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo, then this is your book. The vague narrative mentions the effects of polio and a bus accident “that is too nightmarish to describe here,” on Frida’s health. In addition to this melodramatic condescension to young readers, which according to the recommended age groups (Grades 3-6) should be old enough to read less formless details of her life, Winter also fails to mention her distinct experience ...more
Christina Cabezas
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Title: Frida
Author: Jonah Winter
Illustrator: Ana Juan
Genre: Biography (grades K-2)
Theme(s): Art, perseverance, beauty through pain.
Opening line/sentence:
Frida enters the world.

Brief Book Summary: This book explores the life of the famous female artist, Frida Kahlo. The book begins at her birth, details her journey through life including her struggles, injuries and other hardships that she endured. It explains in kid-friendly terms how she used painting and Art to express herself during her
Licha
Picked this up at the library because I've always been fascinated by Frida Kahlo and I've been on a streak of positive Mexican girl role models.

This was a really cute book but I'm almost sure it helps to be familiar with Frida and her artwork. I'm not sure if a kid would get too much out of the actual story of Frida beyond the cute story it would be to a child.

That being said, I found this story to be a little sad. When you see Frida's body pain, the fact she suffered such pain all her life, and
Annie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-art
It annoys me that picture books of Frida Kahlo’s childhood always show her home already painted blue. It wasn’t blue until she and Diego lived there together. There’s such a thing as artistic license, but when you put it in the text, it’s just inaccurate.

The illustrations are beautiful, but Frida Kahlo and her Animalitos is a better introduction for this age group.
ElianaRZ
This book is about a woman named Frida Kahlo. Frida was a great painted from mexico. the book tells the story of her life and how she became a great painter. The book also tells the story of how she got hit by a bus and she almost died. Frida is a very famous artist from Mexico.
Kris
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A great introduction to Frida Kahlo, although inconsistent. Parts are glossed over, and parts are oddly focused on. But it covers many basics about the artist, and I think Kahlo would appreciate the art she inspired here.
Lisa Rathbun
A great introduction to this artist. The pictures are unique and strange and tie in with her actual art. I enjoyed reading this to my daughter to help introduce her to Frida.
Tory Haberman
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Frida by Jonah Winter and illustrated by Ana Juan, is a great picturebook for any age range. The book reflects on the author’s life growing up through beautiful paintings and artistic detail. Frida Kahlo’s father, at a young age, gave her lessons in color and brushwork. Then, when Frida caught polio (which kept her in bed for months), she drew and drew which saved her from the boredom that overcame her. Unfortunately, she was left crippled after a terrible bus accident that was so unimaginably ...more
Maria Thompson
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-life-stories
Awards: None

Grade Level: 1st-4th

Summary:
Frida is little girl born in Mexico. She learns how to paint from her father who works as an artist. Frida gets very sick as a child, and is bed ridden for months. To keep from being board, Frida colors, draws, and paints for most of the day. Frida gets better and can attend school again. One day when she was a teenager, her bus had an accident and Frida almost dies in the hospital. Once again while she is in the hospital, Frida paints everyday. Frida is
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic introduction to Frida Kahlo for young children. I read this book to my preschool class. They were intrigued by the art and asked lots of questions. I know the details of Frida’s life aren’t exactly “kid friendly” but this book did a great job of telling the children about her while not describing things in detail. Frida is my favorite artist so it was really fun to share with my students!
RLL22016Mirella Carreno
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A simple biography of her early life and how her accidents inspired her to paint and how painting saved her life. Students can see and learn facts about her paintings. The illustrator explained that she used elements from Mexican folk art that Frida would have seen in her childhood.
Fascinating, inspiring and a wonder to behold.
Jaide B
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don’t know much about Frida Kahlo. But this book is a simple, yet reverently-told introduction that makes me appreciate her a bit more.
Javier Cabra
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
"Pinta lo que ven sus ojos y lo que siente su corazón"

The illustrations are beautiful in this book. Shout out to Ana Juan. The book gives a brief bio of Frida's life for a two year old.
Beth
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Uninspired and staccato writing. There are many other books about Frida Kahlo that are much better.
Inge
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous and necessary little biography.
Naeemah
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A perfect present for children. Laila loves it and so does her mother
Ben Truong
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frida is a children's picture book written by Jonah Winter and illustrated by Ana Juan. It is a biographical picture book of Frida Kahlo – an artist.

Mid-September to Mid-October, at least in my part of the world is Hispanic/Latino Heritage Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subject everyday this month. Therefore, I thought that this book would be apropos for today.

Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo y Calderón was a Mexican painter known for
TaniaPulido
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: third-10
Summary:
This picture book is based on the life of artist Frida Kahlo. It starts from the beginning of Frida's life and her interest for art. The story makes an emphasis on how the world around her influenced her to become an artist. Furthermore, the book mentions to the reader the many difficulties that Frida encountered when she was diagnosed with a polio at such a young age. Although this was a set back, these events helped her become the famous artist that she turned out to be. The whole
Autumn
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
1. Awards received: This book has not received any awards.

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for preschool to grade 3

3. Summary: This books focuses on the life and struggles of Frida Kahlo. This books tells of Frida’s life from birth to adulthood. As a child, Frida was plagued by polio. Her father had shared his art techniques with her at a young age, so she used art to keep her from boredom. As an adult, Frida got into a devastating bus accident, which left her crippled.
Patricia
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-stories
Summary: This book introduces the reader to the famous Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. It tells us about her early life and how she was stricken with polio at the age of seven. It goes on to explain how she has endured a lot of pain throughout her lifetime and she uses her paintings to help her when she is sick and can't leave the house. Art is the way she expresses herself.

Review: I really enjoyed this book about Frida Kahlo's life. The illustrations are beautiful and colorful. I like the language
RLL22018 Danielle Razo
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: info-bio
Frida is a book that retells the story of Frida Kahlo's life. Frida lived a very tragic life: she had a terrible marriage, polio, and a tragic bus accident that altered her life forever. Frida feels hopeless, but find solace in painting. Through her pain, Frida creates beautiful paintings. Although this book does not go into the nitty gritty of her life, the book retells her story in a way that is easy for kids to digest. The illustrations are classic, Mexican-vibes that are easy on the eyes. ...more
Marlene Murphy
This biographical text illustrates the life of Frida Khalo through many trials and tribulations as a young girl. She suffers from polio and a horrific bus accident that leaves her body handicapped and riddled with pain for the rest of her life. But these things only inspire Frida to continue her passion, painting. It offers her solace and companionship as she recovers and spends time alone due to her illness and disability. Her passion inspires hope. Society needs to be reminded of the ...more
Maxine Fife
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is about a little girl named Frida. She lives in Mexico with her father, mother, and sisters. This story is about Frida who begins painting while in the hospital due to an illness. Later in this story, Frida is again hospitalized after a bus accident on her way home from school. This accident nearly kills her and leaves her in pain for the rest of her life. This story would be great for young children who may be from Mexico or learning Spanish at a young age. This book has many ...more
Kris Dersch
This book is sort of in a weird in between spot. The illustrations are great, love little Frida and her unibrow and the incorporation of Mexican cultural iconography into them. However, they feel like they are aimed at an older audience whereas the sparse text that doesn't mention the word polio and seems to really skirt the edges of her life feels like it is for a younger audience, leaving a book that is pretty and readable but doesn't seem to wholly satisfy the needs of either. It's worth ...more
Lidia Alarcon
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life
Awards: N/A

Appropriate grade level(s): pre-k - 3

Summary: This book tells the struggles Frida Kahlo faced throughout her life. Such as having polio and getting into a horrible accident. Frida took her painful emotions and used them in her art.

Review: This book is great for introducing children to Frida. It gives so much information about her. I really like how the illustrations sort of reflects her works.

In-class uses: (1) make a self-portrait. (2) women's history month.
Zoraida Rivera Morales
This book shows how Frida overcamed her pain and sickness through her paintings. I like the telling, although the wording could be more precise. I believe Fridas suffering is mentioned more than necessary for a picture book. The illustrations are lovely; yet at times led me to expect that the story would go in directions it didn't.

I liked that it portrayed Frida's ferocious spirit.
Steve
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My excellent stepmother sent this book for my daughter. We share the ideal of helping a young woman know about women who were amazing, creative, and powerful. Frida is an example of a female visual artist from Mexico. The graphics of this book were amazing. The text was informative and simple and appropriate. Love this book.
Myra Perez
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The life of Frida Kahlo is told in this book and the physical struggles she endured. The book shows the artwork she created through the pain she suffered. The book shows children that even when we have a disability or are challenged physically we can still conquer things we are faced with.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Whoever You Are
  • Love
  • When's My Birthday?
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
Jonah Winter is the celebrated author of many picture book biographies, including Barack, which was a New York Times bestseller. His books include Here Comes the Garbage Barge, Sonia Sotomayor, Roberto Clemente, and more. A poet and a painter, Mr. Winter divides his time between Santa Fe and a small town in Pennsylvania.