Jump to ratings and reviews

Diagnosing the System for Organizations

"Stafford Beer is undoubtedly among the world?s most provocative, creative, and profound thinkers on the subject of management, and he records his thinking with a flair that is unmatched. His writing is as much art as it is science. He is the most viable system I know."
― , The Institute for Interactive Management, Pennsylvania, USA.

178 pages, Paperback

19 books47 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
55 reviews12 followers
February 25, 2014
This is one of the hardest books that I have ever tried to understand and, I am told, it is the most accessible of Stafford Beer's books.

To get as far as page 30 I have had to go and back and read Ross Ashby's Introduction to Cybernetics.

I have to read each page several times and then take notes and then think about it for some hours.

A friend whose intellect I deeply respect believes that Stafford Beer's ideas are very important for understanding organisations so I am going to try and stick at this but, man..., it's hard.
224 reviews5 followers
July 18, 2015
I read it once. I read it twice. Then I read some of his other books. I'm now reading it again and for the first time everything clicks. Not because it is not well written, but because the ideas are very much at odds to some of the ideas we're used to. I firmly believe however, that Beer's ideas are better in many respects than the more orthodox theories.
Profile Image for Łukasz Lichota.
80 reviews5 followers
June 23, 2021
Viable System Model is continues be interesting for me but I'm disappointed by this book. Despite the author's attempt to make it well thought educational piece it's super hard to understand, and many shortcuts are made. I was told it's better to understand this one after reading Brain and Heart so I may come back to this someday.
Profile Image for Stephen.
103 reviews
November 30, 2020
fantastic accompaniment to Brain of the Firm and Heart of Enterprise. The clearest description of the VSM yet.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.