Start by marking “A Death In California” as Want to Read:
A Death In California

A Death In California

Paperback
Published July 1st 1986 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about A Death In California, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Death In California

Start your review of A Death In California
Jeanine
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a bizarre story! Truth is stranger than fiction.. Captivating story, well written.
Ronnie Cramer
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The edition I read was subtitled 'A True Account of Love and Murder Among the Very Rich.' That line was obviously intended to appeal to a certain audience, but the fact is I started the book in spite of that description, not because of it. I'm glad I did because it was engaging from start to finish, and most definitely NOT about 'love and murder among the very rich.' It is the story of a sleazy career criminal and the mischief he created across the country. One of his victims had parents with ...more
Cathy
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad

One of those books of true crime that you can't help shake your head at. I think the author made a good attempt to show us how strange some of these people are. Some of the actions were just nuts. Hence the head shaking; are people really this stupid. Or perhaps I should say gullible? Some actions seemed drawn out and there were repetitions. Re: small, gold necklace. Not a bad read but it did feel as though the murder was given just a quick going over.
Cherie
Another great crime writer. I seem to be on a true crime kick lately. Excited to find new crime writer's since Ann Rule's passing. This book was/is excellent. Didn't want to put down but had things that took me away from it, but the whole time thinking I just want to get back to this book. Twists and turns galore, shocking moments. I sure hope this author has additional books. Highly recommend.
Jeff
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good book, except it was smothered in tiny details. For instance in describing the police that arrived at an incident the author describes it this way. ( page 67 )

"As time went on and the search deepened, many other authorities were involved, including-but not limited to-members of the Fox Lake Police Department, Waukegan Police Department, Park City Police Department, McHenry City Police Department, Grayslake Police Department, Lake Villa Police Department, Gurnee Police Department,
Eunice Henderson
A criminal never loses his stripes

The author did a excellent job of taking a string of convoluted mass of lies twists turns u turns and did not attempt to explain it condone it justify it she wrote it exactly how it was presented. Walker is a sociopath, his whole existence was based on his latest stories, so bizarre people believed because he was so convincing. Meeting someone like his can be very scary, confusing and deadly. He was never involved it was a third person an imaginary person, he
Nerfzilla
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Well that was 10 hours of my life I’ll never get back. Incomprehensible and banal book about the most pointless murder in history. I hated or was bored by pretty much everyone in this pathetic excuse for a true crime read. The most forgettable book ever written if you can even say that someone wrote this trash. More like regurgitated it. Please don’t waste your time. Trivial is the only word I can think Of to describe this drivel?. Had I not been spending all my time staying with my partner ...more
Connie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book just did not keep me interested. The murder and trial should have been more interesting. I think I just did not care for the author's style. The murder happened in 1973. I have no memory of this. I was in college at the time which might be why. Not very much extra time for TV or newspapers during those years. The person convicted of this murder did end up being the most interesting person in the story.
Shannon Neathway
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a lover of true crime novels, I truly enjoyed this book. When Walker takes the stand though...that left my mouth agape.
This was fairly well written, though a little wordy at times. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.
Mark
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting case. The book is fascinating and well done. Mr. Walker got what he deserved. I notice he came up for parole in January of this year and it was denied. I completely agree. Even in his 90's, Walker is too dangerous to let out of prison.
Philippe Yaworski
We didn't need to know the complete life story of every cop involved. Taking out all the unnecessary/irrelevant parts would shorten this book by 100 pages. First part is a structural mess. The last part/trial part is pretty good, though.
Claudia Shaw
Interesting case study of a California murder in the 1960’s. It was well researched and a decent read, though I was ready for it to end.
Mark
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A fascinating read. The level of detail is staggering.
Lawrence
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-legal
A troubled Los Angeles socialite is both terrorized and tempted by a killer in this “brilliantly written” true story by the author of A Death in Canaan (Ann Rule).
Hope Masters lived in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Beverly Hills—but was entitled to food stamps. Pretty, petite, and privileged, she was recovering from two failed marriages and a string of poor decisions. But when Hope met and fell in love with a handsome advertising executive, she believed her life was finally back on
Race Bannon Berns
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow. This was pretty fascinating.
Sometimes I read non-fiction crime stories and
they tend to jump all over the place and leave
me confused. Not so in this one, very orderly
telling and really just an amazing story and
even some surprising twists in the trial
at the end.
A good read.
Linda
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
True story of murder (Hope Master's, Bill Ashlock, and the murderer Daniel Walker, a man of many identities.) The story is set in the big San Joaquin Valley, where I was born.
irene
Aug 11, 2012
Irenic
Nov 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • "Please ... Don't Kill Me": The True Story of the Milo Murder
  • Blood Crimes
  • Doctor Dealer: The Rise and Fall of an All-American Boy and His Multimillion-Dollar Cocaine Empire
  • Winter of Frozen Dreams
  • Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door
  • The Real Diana
  • Butter: A Rich History
  • The Poison Tree: A True Story Of Family Terror
  • Nutcracker: Money, Madness, Murder: A Family Album
  • Life Inside the Bubble: Why a Top-Ranked Secret Service Agent Walked Away from It All
  • How the World Works
  • Queen Margot, or Marguerite de Valois (The Last Valois, #1)
  • The Fifth Horseman
  • The Eyes of Heisenberg
  • Beautifully Cruel
  • The Obamas
  • The Enemy of the People: A Dangerous Time to Tell the Truth in America
Joan Barthel is the award-winning author of five nonfiction books and a contributor to many national publications. Her cover story on Elizabeth Seton in the Times Magazine inspired her to bring the singular life of this first American-born saint into contemporary focus and ultimately led to her book American Saint.

With her first book, A Death in Canaan, Barthel uncovered the miscarriage of justice