Start by marking “Misery Loves Company” as Want to Read:

Misery Loves Company

Filled with grief, Jules Bellano rarely leaves the house since her husband’s death while on duty as a police officer. Other than the reviews Jules writes on her blog, she has little contact with the outside world.
One day when she ventures out to the local grocery store, Jules is bumped into by a fellow customer who apologizes profusely. She recognizes him as her favorite a
Published July 22nd 2013 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Misery Loves Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misery Loves Company

Hannah
I grabbed my copy expecting a fairly light read. Don’t know why I had that impression, because the subjects are pretty weighty. Loss, police issues, and partial insanity, among others! Jules, a blogger, gets kidnapped by an author. Is he good or bad, and what does he plan to do with her?

The questions of what is going on in that scrambled mind of the author and how Jules hopes to escape are the main parts of the book, though Chris back home has an interesting thread of his own.

The book surprised
Aerykah
I forced myself to continue listening to this book until about 2/3 of the way through before finally giving up on it. I just wasn't enjoying it at all so I felt that 5 1/2 hours was enough time wasted on a book that I found to be, more than anything, simply boring and annoying.
Rissi
Novels earn my reader’s heart respect if they can be unique within a genre, and to top it off, be entertaining. That is what I found in this quirky “cozy mystery” from renowned author Rene Gutteridge. It tells the story of a woman named Jules whose life is something akin to that of a recluse following the tragic death of her law enforcement husband. Instead of keeping in touch with her friends and family, Jules spends her days reading and blogging about said books with an occasional routine trip ...more
Jessica
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The story as a whole was good. I really enjoyed how the book shifted to right after the kidnapping so that the reader was on the same footing as the characters in trying to figure out what had happened. I liked the fact that the bad guy wasn't a homicidal maniac. Sometimes those are fun books, but the characters in them are often so unrealistic it's difficult to feel invested in the story. This book wasn't about what new tortures the bad guy could think up, but rather what was going on in his ma ...more
Juanita
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A genuine page turner, that’s what this book is, a genuine page turner. I read Misery Loves Company in one sitting. Page after page I turned into the early morning hours. In my opinion, a book that causes me to keep turning the pages, until there are no pages left to turn, is exceptional and quite excellent.

I found a lot of similarities between me and Jules, more than I would have ever imagined. It was as if someone had been watching me and wrote a store based on me and my life, that is how simi
Jasmin
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Should be titled "A beginners guide to Stockholm syndrome"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes through 90% of this book.

Well written in some parts but melodramatic and boring in others.

In the end I didn't care about the characters and the actual ending was everything you were expecting. I was never really shocked about any of the 'twists' and am glad to have finished it.
Loraine Nunley
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Suspenseful, creepy, and page turning. From the start I was drawn into this suspenseful story. Just the creepiness of Jules’ abductor for most of the story kept me on my toes. What did he want from her? Would he kill her? Full review is at my website.

I received this book complimentary in a giveaway. I was not required to give a review. All of the opinions I have expressed here are my own.
Elizabeth
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Misery Loves Company is a suspenseful novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the last page. Jules is a young widow who mostly keeps to herself since the death of her husband, Jason. Chris a police officer who used to be Jason’s partner until he was found murdered. Patrick Reagan is a famous writer whose novels are on the best seller’s list. Jules is the type of person that follows a strict routine: she rises at the same time everyday, shops at the same store at a specific time e ...more
Jennifer Slattery
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the first novel I’ve read by Rene Gutteridge, and I’m hooked. The story gripped me without release, often keeping me up well into the night, until I reached the very satisfying end.

Jules Belleno, a talented writer who appears to have little drive for anything but blogging, eating, and sleeping, experiences a terrifying adventure that rocks her to her core, and in doing so, awakens the part of her she’s suppressed for way too long. Captured by an author she once greatly admired, she’s
Jordyn Redwood
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Mark
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rene Gutteridge isn't an author that I have read many books by, but I have been impressed by the ones that I have read, and this one may be her best yet.

I don't normally read Stephen King books, and in fact have only read one in my life (I was on vacation and bored and the vacation house had books). That book was Misery. In it, a woman kidnaps her favorite author and puts him through a pretty bad time. This book sounds like the opposite of that book, for in this book, a woman is kidnapped by h
C.E. Hart
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
By Rene Gutteridge

If you liked Stephen King’s movie/book Misery, then I think you’ll like this. It has some similarities (thriller, danger, writers, etc.) Quite a page-turner.

It may seem strange to comment on the appearance and feel of this book, but its uniqueness deserves a mention. The large font is easy to read, I like the picture at the beginning of each chapter, and the cover is interesting and has a smooth texture.

Don’t let the fact that it’s a faith-based book fool yo
Melanie
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1NI4J2R...

Misery Loves Company was a very good read. Different from what I expected going in, but still great. I loved how Jules, the main character, was a blogger and reviewed books monthly on her blog.

Patrick was an interesting character. It was a little hard to understand him and his reasoning for doing some of the things he did completely, but I guess that's what made him such an intriguing character.

There was a sliver of romance in Misery Love
Dundee Library
Juliet Belleno is a young widow of a police officer who was killed on duty. Grief stricken, she becomes a reclusive blogger making little contact with the outside world after her husband's death. After a trip to the store, she awakens in a strange room. She discovers her abductor is her favorite author whose mental state is anything but stable! He begins a slow process of revelations about her husband's death that begin to change her perception of all she thought to be true.
The book was slow to
Trish
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a very odd book - I thought it was going to be a total Stephen King Misery knockoff and nearly stopped after chapter 5, but decided to give it a bit more time. I'm glad I did, as I enjoyed the story overall, but the ending was just too dramatic AND rather unsatisfying. (view spoiler)

The faith
Rita
This is the first book I've read by Rene Gutteridge. I enjoyed the mystery in the book and had fun trying to guess the outcome. Early on I thought I had it all figured out only to discover I was wrong about most of it. The only negative about the book would be that while the story seemed to move along at a steady pace, the ending seemed too rushed to me. All in all, I really liked the book and recommend it to fans of mystery/suspense.
Kira FlowerChild
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was a couple of chapters into this book when something made me check the publisher. Tyndale House. As a former bookstore manager, I am quite familiar with them, but I generally don't read anything they publish because I am not at all religious. So I will just say that if you like fiction that is Christianity-oriented, you will probably like this book. I didn't.
Shelbie
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
A very interesting story about a writer who gets kidnapped by her own favorite author...who claims his terrible action is for her own good. Will Jules figure out the reason for her kidnapping before her captor goes totally insane? A fun read and probably worth 3 1/2 stars, if I could give that.
Marian Baay
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2013
AWESOME !!
Aloha
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a page turner! I kept saying "last chapter" on a Saturday night and couldn't help but continue when I realized I couldn't sleep until I got answers. The characters got my empathy and I love how the title really fits the story.
If only people could have someone who's exactly in the same shoes as them, who'd really understand their grief as much as the other and both could teach and learn from each other. Maybe then it wouldn't be so hard to grive alone.
Teresa
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to this book in my car going back and forth to work every day. The narrator did a good job of keeping my interest. The author did a good job of describing the characters, as well as the places in the book where events took place. This wasn't the keep-me-on-the-edge-of-my-seat-type book that I thought it would be, but it was interesting enough that I turned to it each time I got into my car. I was glad I chose it.
zoesmum025
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

This isn't the first novel I have read by this author and indeed it won't be the last. Highly recommended. It flows so seamlessly and smoothly. It made me sigh when I'd finished reading it. A big fat sigh of contentment!
Cara Grandle
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-fiction
Love a good mystery and this one held my attention. She had some fun unique twists in her plot.
Donna
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-life
Interesting though very far fetched.
Renn Shearin
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don’t tell me it’s terrifying. Terrify me.
Filled with grief, Jules Belleno rarely leaves the house since her husband Jason’s death while on duty as a police officer. Other than the reviews Jules writes on her blog, she has little contact with the outside world.

But one day when she ventures out to the local grocery store, Jules bumps into a fellow customer . . . and recognizes him as her favorite author, Patrick Reagan. Jules gushes and thoroughly embarrasses herself before Regan graciously talks
Emily
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, review
Don’t tell me it’s terrifying. Terrify me. That’s Jules’ advice in her review of her favorite author’s latest novel. After a successful writing career, Patrick Reagan’s last three books don’t live up to par, in Jules’ opinion. After the death of her husband, Juliet Belleno lives in seclusion. Her life is scheduled and structured down to the last minute. Her only interactions are through her blog where she writes her reviews, social media, and her father’s visits.

Suddenly, Jules wakes up and is h
Deanna Gottreu
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Misery Loves Company by Rene Gutteridge is a very intense story that grabbed my attention on the first page and with each following chapter the story became even more intense. Jules Belleno lives in seclusion since the death of her policeman husband and spends her time writing book reviews on her blog and posting comments on FaceBook. She only leaves her home to make short trips to the grocery store. On one fateful day when she is at the grocery store, she meets her favorite author and that is t ...more
Kellie
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-hand-to-read
Disclaimer: The fact that the book was about a woman kidnapped by an author after she posted a negative blog review of his latest book has in no way made me feel coerced, blackmailed or threatened into writing this positive review. Just sayin'. ;)

Secluded away inside the safe walls of her home, grief-stricken Juliet has shut out the world following the tragic death of her police officer husband. Everything is safe and quiet, until one moment she wakes up from a foggy stupor to find herself kidn
Kate
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Juliet, a young aspiring writer and a blogger reviews a book each month written by her favourite author Patrick Reagan - a reclusive individual from her tiny Maine hometown. She hasn’t been quite herself since her husband Jason’s murder and it is reflected in her writing. One day, she is shopping for groceries and bumps into Reagan; then everything goes black. She wakes up in a stranger’s house and realises that she has been kidnapped. Her captor is no other than Patrick Reagan, her favourite au ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Poison (Bloodline Trilogy, #2)
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Critical Pursuit (Brinna Caruso #1)
  • Dark Justice
  • A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • Death by the Book (Drew Farthering Mystery #2)
  • Fatal Exchange (Southern Crimes #2)
  • Widow of Gettysburg (Heroines Behind the Lines, #2)
  • Congo Dawn
  • Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales
  • Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets, #1)
  • Nowhere to Turn (Hidden Identity, #2)
  • The Icing on the Cake (Weddings by Design #2)
  • Made to Last (Where Love Begins, #1)
  • Exile (Guy Erma and the Son of Empire, #3)
  • Friend Me
  • The Reluctant Earl
  • Bleeding Heart (The Heart's Spring, #2)
Rene Gutteridge is the award-winning and best-selling author of more than eighteen novels, including the beloved Boo Series and Heart of the Country, her novelization release with director John Ward and Tyndale House Publishers. Her recent suspense titles include Listen, Possession and the award-winning Seven Hours project Escapement. She's been published by Bethany House, Tyndale House, WaterBroo ...more
“Find my weak points, but more importantly, find yours.” 1 likes
“Yet every great storyteller knows it’s the fine art of taking me by the hand and showing me that has the most effect on a reader’s soul. It’s how writers slip it all into us while we’re not looking. While we’re reading words, they’re making magic happen, and when that magic lands right in our hearts, we’re theirs forever.” 1 likes