Start by marking “Haven from the Storm (Storms of Life, #1)” as Want to Read:
Haven from the Storm (Storms of Life, #1)

Haven from the Storm

(Storms of Life #1)

“If you’re going to make me cry, at least be there to wipe away the tears…”

Most were asleep in their beds the night Lily Grace’s entire world was ripped apart, leaving only darkness and torment in its place. The only remaining person she depended on abandoned her without a second thought…or so that’s what Lily has believed for the past four years.

Dean Haven has returned fo
Published March 27th 2013 by Sarah Dosher

To ask other readers questions about Haven from the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haven from the Storm

Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
You must pour your heart and soul into your dreams...or else why bother.
Nasty Lady MJ
Aug 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Mary Kay Laterno
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: Ammy Freebies
To see full review click here (you might need mind bleach).

Amazon wants to teach me a lesson: being frugal makes me a sucker.

Haven From the Storm cost me nothing, but I felt like I lost a part of my soul. Or at least my tolerance levels were diminished tremendously this weekend.

But normally it's listed as $11.99 and I thought...well, that must be its good because generally speaking the more expensive a book is on Ammy the quality will probably (not always) be better.

I was wrong.

I'm always wrong.
Kathryn
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was full of emotion. I felt devastation and loss, abandonment and abuse, hope and redemption and love. Lily has suffered so much in her life and she is just trying to hold on until she graduates from high school so that she can escape. Dean is the one person left from her life that Lily truly loves, but can he overcome his own personal issues to give Lily the love she deserves?

Sarah Dosher is a new author and she shows great promise. This book was amazing. I have had the privilege of b
Erin
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Haven from the Storm is such an emotion-wrenching, heartbreaking story of forgiveness and moving on from pain. Lily Grace lost everything the night a storm ripped her family apart, leaving her alone in the world save for the bitter and violent father who hated that she even exists. I'll get to him in a bit, he earned himself a special mention. The last straw for her was when the one boy who she could always count on, who she gave her heart to, turned his back on her and never looked back. Now it ...more
Kate Mathias
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the absolute pleasure of beta reading this delightful debut novel. Lily and Dean have a very sweet love story, but the reader gets a front row seat at the turbulence that life throws their way. After events cause Dean to leave town, he finds many things have changed for Lily when he makes his way back to her. I found myself rooting for them to get back together from the very beginning.

The other characters in the story are equally as likeable. I immediately loved Adley's personality and fou
Danielle at For the Love of Books
5 Oh wow, that hit a nerve Stars

Touching!!
Amazing!!
Beautiful!!
Emotional!!

I was absolutely hooked from beginning to end while reading Haven from the Storm. This is a story that gives you so much: loss, love, abuse, abandonment, friendship, hope, redemption, and most of all, the importance of learning how to trust again.

“The best way to find out if you can trust someone, is to trust them.” – Ernest Hemingway

Lily and Dean are the main characters and have a very sweet love story, but there is so muc
Tough Critic Book Reviews
A great story in the making, I just wish...

I wish I would have eaten more twinkies when I had the chance. I wish tighty whities would make a comeback. I wish diet Dr Pepper really did taste more like regular Dr Pepper. And yes, I wish for more Twilight!

With Haven from the Storm, I wish for more story. It was a great story with all the potential in the world. I picked it up and didn't put it down until the end, but...but...I needed the rest of the story. I needed the foundation for Lily and Dean'
Heather Gunter
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first thought when I finished this book was, WOW. What a fantastic first book that is written so incredibly well. Let me start by saying that I have a thing for books that discuss hard topics. I like a read that gives you something to think about and takes you to a place that most do not.

Lilly has been through hell and back. Her mother and brother died in a tornado and she is left to fend for herself with her father. Dean is the boy she loved as a child and still harbors feelings for. Lilly's
Jessica
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beta-reads
I was given an ARC of this book by the author for an honest review Wow, what a book. I loved it, read it in two sittings, only two because I did need sleep. Your novel is lovely, you tense is perfect, transitions are smooth, with the exception of a few spelling/word errors this book was perfect.
Rude Girl Book Blog
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book holds nothing back in the emotion department. Right out of the gate you need to reach for a box of tissues. One of my favorite quotes from this book is “keep in mind that even those who love you can unknowingly inflict pain when they themselves are hurting”.

It is so much more than just Dean and Lily’s love story, it a story about the bonds we form and how they mold our lives. Lily has experienced so much loss and abuse in her short life. Dean leaves Kolby on the day of his best friend
Mindi Flynn
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was super excited to be given the opportunity to read an early copy of this book and review it for the author. After reading the prologue, I was hooked. The story takes several turns and kept my attention throughout the entire ride. The amazing story is told from more than one point of view, which I loved. I was able to fully understand each wonderful character and feel what they were feeling. I felt sad, hurt, and alone, at times, but also happy, love-stricken and empowered during this journe ...more
Melanie Dawn
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was honored to be given the opportunity to beta read Haven from the Storm. The first scene of this book sucked me in fast! I love books that hook me like that in the first chapter. This is a sweet love story that must overcome many obstacles. You will appreciate Dean Haven's persistence and fall in love with him along the way! Don't miss this beautiful story!
Laura's Book Addiction
Is it march yet??? Also I looove the cover. Edit 29/03/2013 review to come
Lisa
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am still trying to compile my thoughts to form coherent sentences.....Ok WOW! Yes. I am wowed by everything that happened in this book. Haven from the Storm hits on topics that aren't touched on all too much. Physical, mental, and emotional abuse. Very serious and sad issues. Lily Grace is our heroin and she has lived one hellish life. She was fourteen when the three people she most loved and care about were taken from her: her mother, her brother Easton, and Dean Haven. Now she is just trying ...more
**4 Solid Stars**

What an interesting and emotionally charged book this was. This is the type of book that really pulls at your heartstrings. What Lily and Dean both went through in their lives was horrible. These two both came from horrible parents. Well I guess I can't say they were all horrible, it sounded like Lily's mom was ok but really didn't stand up for herself and just took what Michael gave her. Dean's mom on the other hand was just a coward and left right after he was born and he neve
Lindsay
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Find this review along with many others at www.madisonsays.com! Also, there is a giveaway going on over there for this one, so hurry up and check it out!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!, Haven From The Storm was absolutely an amazing story! There were so many surprising elements that made it a definite page turner for me. My emotions were stirred throughout and I became so overwhelmingly invested in the character's lives. Without a doubt, this phenomenal, heart wrenching story of second chances lands itself in
Beth
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Stormy Stars
WARNING: Overuse of weather words to follow...

Oh My....This book. I read this book while watching radar of tornadoes in Oklahoma, texting my son's roommates hiding under a mattress in Norman OK and still feeling the gripping sadness of the Moore Ok tornado of just a few weeks ago. So to say it was topical and emotional is an understatement.

Lily's life is a storm. She lives in tornado alley and is used to taking shelter. But this time the storm is too fast. She can not hide. The st
Terry Trahan
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! I started reading this at 5:00 a.m. Friday morning because I couldn't sleep. Unfortunately, I had to be at work by 8:00 a.m. (I made it by 7:58 a.m.) I wasn't able to pick up reading again until 4:30 a.m. this morning (again, because I couldn't sleep and I knew I wanted to read this book). OMG...I am so glad I cracked this one open and read it! The emotions that flooded my soul were so heartfelt and cleansing. I absolutely love Lily and Dean. Lily's family is totally dysfunctional, and I ...more
Karen
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

Haven from the Storm is the debut novel of author Sarah Dosher. Dosher comes out like a debutante at the ball! Beautiful, stunning, powerful and emotional!

“Haven” is the journey of Lily Grace and Dean Haven and touches on difficult issues of physical, emotional and mental abuse. The writing is expressive, evocative, and vivid and the story is not for the faint of heart. Not only is this book about hard subject matters of abuse, but it is an even more powerful message of surviving, strength and o
Christy
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From the very first paragraph this book had my full attention. Lily has suffered a great tragedy when she lost both her Brother and Mother that faithful night of the tornado. Not realizing that when she lost them she would also lose the one guy who could make her life and heart whole. Dean had to leave the town of Kolby, he didnt know how to deal with the loss of his best friend who was more like a brother to him. Seeing his best friends sister mourning, he didnt know how to deal with her loss a ...more
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
***"That young lady has been in hell these last four years and you, Mr. Dean Haven, played a starring role."***

Sarah Dosher has certainly gained a fan. This book just sucked me in from the get go. I honestly had a very hard time remembering that this book is her debut!

Liliana Grace is a tiny tornado. Small in stature, Lily has been through more in her short 18 years than most go through in their whole life. Through it all, she remains (outwardly) strong.

There are so many characters that are an
Kelster
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: a-to-z
2.5 stars. This is a book that tries really hard to be inspirational and deep and uplifting but it comes across as kind of cheesy.

The author throws so much darkness, misery and pain at the h so that we can witness her rise above it and find her happiness. As readers we are to be enriched by her victory and through quotes (many from the author herself) that begin each chapter and also by an animal that seems to be reincarnated.

The h is "strong" but really asserts herself by standing up to the H w
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given this ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I had been eagerly awaiting the release of Haven from the Storm for weeks, and when the author gifted me with the book, I quite literally tripped over my feet. While I was prepared to enjoy it, I wasn't prepared for the journey I went on, and ended up devouring it in 4 hours.

After a deadly tornado rips through the sleepy Oklahoma town where Lily and Dean call home, all that's left behind is pain. Not knowing how to cope, Dean
Melanie Stinnett
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was given the wonderful opportunity to read this book before it's release. Sarah Dosher has put together an engaging story of love, loss, redeeming forgiveness and acceptance.

I was impressed from the first chapter with the author's ability to pull you into this young girl's life. The main character, Lily, is broken but strong and, like so many in different types of abusive situations, was shutting out the world. Dean arrives back in town intending to make amends for his past mistakes but has t
Stacey Bentley
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I give Haven From the Storm 4.5 stars.

I was given is book as an ARC from the author to read and post a review. I wasn't sure what to expect from this book but what I got was blown away.

Sarah Dosher did a phenomenal job on her debut novel, I can't wait to see what else this talented author come up with.

Lily Grace is a girl who is robbed of everything she's every known and forced to roll with the punches. She takes what life throws at her and never complains or asks for help.

Dean Haven skips t
Lia
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a book comes along that really touches your heart. That really draws out deep emotions. This was one of those books for me.

Lily lost everything in a tornado. Her mom and brother were killed. And the love of her life, who happens to be her brothers best friend, ran when she needed his support the most. Four years later, she's barely surviving thanks to heartache and an abusive father. And the last person she expects to come back into her life is Dean.

Dean and Lily have been through he
Book Addict Mumma
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Haven from the storm.

This book had some amazing qualities.
I absolutely loved Lily and Dean, Ms Dosher has the talent to bring her characters to life.
I was breathless for most of this book, the theme is not one that can be written lightly.

A heart wrenching, emotional, raw book. I just wanted to keep turning the pages to see what was going to happen next.
I went from hope and happiness to sadness and back again.
Lily is a beautiful soul who has had nothing but pain in her life, I just wanted to giv
S. L.
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one impressive and emotionally written ride this author takes us on. Lily is a survivor and she learns much more about living life than just surviving. She has lost everything and it just keeps getting worse, but she finds out that she has more support from the people around her than she ever thought possible. Most importantly, she finds the love of her life and she learns to stand on her own two feet.
Dean made mistakes with those that he loved most and he is back in town to fix that bu
Nacole Stayton
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler alert: I had the pleasure of receiving an ARC of Haven from the Storm and I loved every minute of it! Sarah Dosher has a way of connecting with the reader in the most genuine way. I felt a mix of emotions while reading this book, all of which were brought out by the authors amazing dialogue! Then in walks Dean…and my heart skipped a beat. He is strong, compassionate and remorseful. He loved Lily and you could tell from the moment he opened his sexy mouth. I would/WILL highly recommend th ...more
Sally
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Our souls belong together and we will never be completely whole without each other."

Wow. This book is an amazing example of the power of mistakes, anger, fear, forgiveness, and love. Sarah Dosher takes her reader on a full out ride that covers the full range of emotions. She gives us everything that makes a book great. Flawed characters, innocent victims, strong women, comic relief, and villains that are identifiable and yet make you want to punch them in the face. I'm definitely a new fan and
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Indie Bookshelf: Discussion and Review of Haven from the Storm 1 19 Apr 16, 2013 01:04PM

• Bitter Angel
  • I Breathe You
  • Under the Orange Moon (Mathews Family, #1)
  • Reaching Out for You (Never Letting Go, #1)
  • Chaotic (Imperfection, #1)
  • Blessed Tragedy (Blessed Tragedy, #1)
  • In Spades (Mirrored, #1)
  • Scars of My Past
  • Strong Enough (Strong, #1)
  • In the Air (The City, #1)
  • Used
  • Every Rose (Every Rose, #1)
  • Moving Forward (Timing is Everything, #1)
  • Reckless Abandon (November Blue, #2)
  • Lead Me Home (Fight for Me, #3)
  • Salt Water Wounds (Oyster Cove, #1)
  • Ever Enough (Ever Enough, #1)
  • Book of Enlightenment (Generations Saga, #1)
Sarah Dosher was born and raised in rural Oklahoma where she currently resides with her cowboy husband and twins (one cowboy and one cowgirl).

She is addicted to books and The Golden Girls. Her love for characters inspired her to write her first novel, Haven from the Storm.

Visit her website at sarahdosher.com.

Storms of Life (3 books)
  • Before the Storm (Storms of Life, #2)
  • Sanctuary from the Darkness (Storms of Life, #3)
“keep in mind that even those who love you can unknowningly inflict pain when they themselves are hurting” 4 likes
“You can’t treat people like shit and expect them to still love you!” 4 likes