Start by marking “Descendant” as Want to Read:
Descendant

Descendant

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  255 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Californian James Falcon's compelling Romanian mother told him so many folk stories that by the time he reaches college in 1943, he is something of an expert on the strigoi, the legendary, undying vampires who infested the most isolated forests of Wallachia. Mostly as a joke, he writes a term paper on the strigoi. But the joke turns serious when US counterintelligence appr ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Severn House Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Descendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descendant

J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
DESCENDANT is an ingenious take on the vampire legend. I really liked the history and the characters in this novel from Masterton.
Anna
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
ok, I am totally unforgiven that I also forgot I read that book as well.....

Being a goth some years ago, I was obsessed about vampire literature. Of course I read Twilight, I enjoyed it in its own way that time, but ok.... Vampires are not sensitive young vegan boys... vampire desire blood, and they always get what they want (yeah, I am a Lestat fan!). They are dangerous for the public and people must know nothing of their existence. They are charming as hell, lethal and share no feeling.

The s
Ken
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Descendant", Masterton draws on the Romanian folklore of the strigoi, the immortal vampires, to weave a tale that crosses WWII and the decade or so after its end.

Jim Falcon, is an American academician who, due to a paper he wrote, is called upon to hunt strigoi in WWII's European theater. After the war, Jim is happy to walk away and live his happy life.

But, when post-war evidence of strigoi emerges in London, Jim is again called upon to address what has become his specialty.

I really enjoyed
Brett Grossmann
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
If it wasn't for some leaps of reason this book would be great. A lot is left unexplained or glossed over. Very original story though
Bandit
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Graham Masterton is simply too good of a writer to put out a crap book. This, however, isn't his strongest effort. It's short and entertaining, but I'd caution anyone against judging Masterton's talents based on this book. It's a take on a classic vampire hunter against vampires story, starring Romanian strigoi. I like the fact that it feels like Masterton does research for every book, but never bores you with it, merely adds color and detail and vividness. What I didn't like was the morality (i ...more
Viola
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Masterton's interpretation of vampires. he keeps things freaky
Tammy
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Enjoyable read. But the protagonist wasn't the swiftest vamp hunter. He was awfully cavalier about squandering Last Supper bullets.
Geoff Battle
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Descendant is almost a prequel to Manitou Blood, with the Romanian folklore of strigoi (vampires) being explored and utilised for as much carnage as possible. Descendant never really ramps up in terms of suspense or chills, but delivers a solid story, spread from World War II until today, with most of the story occurring in the 1950's. This unusual approach allows Masterton to play with the the options - technology being rather limited at these times ensured some grisly up close and personal app ...more
Etienne
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent livre sur les vampires. Un interprétation assez livre et folklorique de l'auteur, mais qui marche merveilleusement bien. Des personnages bien faits, des belles scènes d'horreur, une fin surprenante et de l'action. Masterton est un des grands maîtres de l'horreur et il nous le prouve encore une fois avec ce roman!
Maciej Muszalski
Nothing fancy, but at least reading wasn't such pain as in the case of 'Basilisk'. Still couple of unreasonable decisions in the book.
Xenophon Hendrix
Κεσκίνης Χρήστος
Το μόνο πρόβλημα που είχε πάντα ο κατα τα άλλα υπέροχος Graham Masterton είναι τα τελιώματα στα βιβλία του, κατα την προσωπική μου άποψη. Σε αυτό εδώ το πολύ καλό βιβλίο, δεν υπάρχει αυτό το "μειονέκτημα", αλλά δυστυχώς για εμένα, είχα καταλάβει το τέλος πολύ πριν το διαβάσω. Πάντως οι εικόνες που δημιουργεί είναι πάρα πολύ καλές για το είδος και το προτείνω σίγουρα στους φαν.
Linda
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This book had an interesting twist on vampires. I'm glad I read it but again I can only give it 3 stars. Too many slow parts when you felt like it should be fast. When the story line was moving quickly it was hard to put it down. I will try another book by this author in the future.
Robin Edman
Ben
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cold War intrigue AND a horde of ancient immortal vampires swarming across the Eastern Bloc? Yes, please.
Fi
I used to read every Masterton book I could get my hands on but this was one of the last I read. A huge disappointment and definitely not on a par with most of his earlier work.
Edward Smith
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Always a thrill to read Graham Masterson. If you haven't read him you are missing one of the best in Horror.
Brittany
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice read with vivid imagery till the very end, which makes no sense at all. I can't understand who is narrating the end of the narrative frame.
Glen
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
brilliant "vampire" novel
Blair
Oct 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast halloween read.
Michala
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book really enjoyed this
Cinabru Hoffmann
Feb 22, 2015
Rakie Keig
Jan 03, 2018
  • God's Eye
  • Sunrise in a Garden of Love & Evil (Bayou Gavotte, #2)
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • The Minotauress
  • Lot Lizards
  • Bob Moore: No Hero  (Bob Moore, #1)
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • If I Were You (Stories from the Golden Age, #5)
  • The Spear
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Ancient Images
  • Crustaceans
  • Wild Blood
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • Bloodwar
  • 23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)
  • Funland
  • Skin Medicine
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more
More about Graham Masterton

$3.99 $0.99
  • Oh My Stars
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel