Start by marking “Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)

Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,947 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Published June 1st 1999 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Journey to the Volcano Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to the Volcano Palace

Ahmad Sharabiani
Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon #2), Tony Abbott, Tim Jessell (Illustrator)
After Lord Sparr takes the magic jewel from Princess Keeah, four of her visiting friends become determined to get it back to her at any cost.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوم ماه می سال 2006 میلادی
عنوان: رازهای دنیای دورن - جلد 02 - سفر به قصر آتشفشان؛ نویسنده: تونی ابوت (ابت)؛ تصویرگر: تیم جسل؛ مترجم: پریسا همایون روز؛ تهران، قدیانی، بنفشه، 1384؛ در 72 ص، مصور؛ شابک: 9644178696؛ چاپ چهارم 1390؛ چاپ پنجم 1392؛ ش
Rohit Karmali
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Greetings Everyone!!

Another book in the series goes by and I am happy to share my thoughts on this book and will love to hear your thoughts as well , so without further a due let's get started.

1. COVER

Another one of my favorites and I am happy to tell you that Mr. Tim Jessell has done a wonderful presentation here also, as was his take on the previous book. The book design by Mr. Dawn Adelman is also an orphic task and I am just imagining how much children will love it.

2. STORY

We start from the
Steven R. McEvoy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I was right to be leery of starting a series with over 40 books! For now not only am I addicted to these books but my children are also. I am reading ahead of them and reading them a few chapters each night before bed. They love the story so far, and I am thoroughly enjoying it also. To be honest I have yet to read anything by Tony Abbott that disappointed. And going back and reading some of his earlier works has been a blast both for me and for the kids.

Droon is an interesting world to visit.
Corey Schmidt
I read the book “Journey to the Volcano Palace”. It was written by Tony Abbott. It’s about three kids. Their names are Neal, Julie, and Eric, and they visit a magical land that is hidden under the steps in their basement, called Droon. The book starts off with all three kids having weird dreams about things that take place in Droon. They decide to go and see what’s going on. They arrive in a desert and princess Keeah is waiting for them. She tells them how the Eye of Dawn was stolen by the evil ...more
Brittany Durrant
Mar 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: finished
I thought "Journey to the Volcano Palace(The Secrets of Droon, #2)" wasn't that good of a book because everything happened too fast, and I didn't really like the way it was written. "Journey to the Volcano Palace" is about Eric, Julie, and Neal, who are all best friends. In Eri'cs basement there's a secret passage to a land called Droon. He only visited it once, but he had a dream about it, so when Julie and Neal came over they decided to go back to Droon. They arrive and their friend Princess K ...more
Kori Looker
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked "Journey to the Volcano Palace" by Tony Abbott because the events in the story are creative. Eric, Julie, and Neal all dream about the same dream. They dream they're in Droon inside evil Lord Sparr's secret palace. The secret palace is inside a volcano! The three kids must recover Princess Keeah's magic jewel stolen by Lord Sparr.

Eric, Julie, and Neal are all kids that have the same dream. Their dreams come to life within their imagination. They meet Princess Keeah, who thinks she can se
Brandon Colligan
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This magical story is about two kids who find themselves in the enchanted world of Droon. The land is a fantasy world with talking pillows and magical trees. The only problem with Droon is that an evil ruler sets out to destroy it. They find themselves on an adventure to get into the underworld to stop the evil ruler only to find hidden secrets.. This is a great read for anyone who loves a fictional story line.
Mel Ann
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book series is just right for the age range of 8 to 10. I feel that my kids would love it but for me there could be so much more to this. I like reading them though. I think I need to do that in order to get. better feel for it.
Jalen
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
G. R. E. A. T. That is what that was. I liked that there was a door that only appears when you put water on it.
Andrea
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My 5-year old son wanted to give this book one hundred stars! I also thought it was well-written and engaging for a young audience. We are looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Breyanna Hill
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This Book was about these kids named Eric, Julie and Neal. They go down to Eric's basement and find this door. They go in the door under the stairs and end up in a place called Droon and meet a princess named Keeah, a wizard named Galen Longbeard and his assistant max who meet purple pillow men and monsters called pikas and a sorcerer named Sparr. This book is full of imagination!!
Jennifer Risley
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
read this to my daughter, she loves the series so far. It's perfect for a 1st grader going to second grade.
Sherica
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
My 7yo liked it. Was better than #1- barely.
Rachel D.
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
If JD didn't like these, I would not read them. The plus is that we read them together, and I hope the series will get him interested in better books later.
Pamela
SUMMARY: Eric, Neal, and Julie all experience strange dreams about the secret world of Droon and make their way back to the secret stairway. Their help is needed to recover the stolen jewel -- The Red Eye of Dawn which is capable of great magical powers. The good news is that they know where the jewel is being kept...the bad news is that it is in the heart of a volcano which also serves as Lord Sparr's secret palace.

This is book #2 in The Secrets of Droon series. This volume has a little more ac
Sunny
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Name: Journey to the Volcano Palace
Author: Tony Abbott
Summary: The book Journey to the Volcano Palace, was about these three friends Eric, Neal, and Julie and there magical journey to Droon to find the red jewel of droon witch belonged to the princes Keeh. The jewel was stolen by the evil sorcerer Sparr ,and be used to take over all of Droon and make it his, and the children had to get it back, before Droon was changed forever and all of the people were enslaved by the evil sorcerer. So the kid
Liana
Ooo! A volcano palace? OH YES, sounds awesome! This is the second book in The Secrets of Droon series. Right away, the story jumps into action with the evil Lord Sparr appearing in Eric's dreams, chasing him FOR WHATEVER THE REASON MAY BE. (Creepy much?) When Eric meets with his friends later, he finds out they had similar dreams about Droon too. In the end, their Droony dreams begin to come true and are linked to one another...

Oh yeah, this has got to be the first bite sized book where I honest
Vered
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Eric, Julie and Neal return to Droon, where they meet up with old friends and make some new ones. The evil Lord Sparr has stolen Princess Keeah’s magic jewel and hidden it in his secret palace, which is inside a volcano. As with the first book in the series, this is a great story for young readers and a good book for parents to read out loud to younger children as well. It’s interesting and creative enough that the adults won’t fall asleep, but it won’t give nightmares to the younger listener. I ...more
Jeremy
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've decided to read The Secrets of Droon series entirely for Christmas since i've been feeling a bit nostalgic. I want to be able to live a bit of the magic of being a kid and what beeter to help than this incredible series. I know that this series is for young kids but i feel it will still be great after all these years. The second book is similar to the first in its simple but fast plot but a different adventure where they have to confront Sparr. In this book we are introduced to more charact ...more
Books Kids Like
In Hidden Stairs, Lord Sparr stole the Red Eye of Dawn from Princess Keeah. The magical jewel controls the forces of fire, wind, wave, and sky, and Sparr plans to use it to reap terrible destruction throughout the kingdom of Droon. Keeah enlists the help of her three “upper world” friends to retrieve it. They must journey to Lord Sparr's secret volcano palace to find the jewel. At an oasis, Eric sees the gate to Sparr’s kingdom reflected in the pool. By throwing water on the invisible gate, they ...more
pdarnold
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-kids
Another fun read. My 7 year old nephew did not want to read this book because "his sister liked it". I laughed, and began reading it out loud. He said he was not listening! I continued reading. As time went by he came closer and closer until finally he was sitting right next to me and reading along with me. I am still chuckling. The stories of Droon will involve the minds and hearts of both boy and girl! Volcano, scarey bad guys and monsters (not too scarey). Adventure, friendship and team work. ...more
Miss Ryoko
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
For me, personally, these books aren't the greatest. They're very plainly written with not a lot of detail or vocabulary (like the Magic Tree House books... and books like these I don't like to read to kids because they are so plain) BUT my class really seems to be enjoying these books. The nice thing is that there are many books in this series, giving me a lot of options :-p

Kids seem to love these books, so if you are looking for an easy chapter book for your child to read full of adventure an
Kirsten Simkiss
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
They're simple little books, but they're such a great adventure. I read these when I was growing up and even now, reading it as someone who's almost 25, the world and the ideas floating around in the background are really fantastic. Like seriously, what other book can you name that puts a mermaid in a lake in the tunnels of a volcanic mountain? Or a gate to a hidden place in the desert that can only be seen when viewed using water, either covered in it or in the reflection of it? They're just su ...more
Amy
While this will likely satisfy some beginning chapter book readers who like constant action, I think the plot development was somewhat lacking and the plot points strained credulity at times, even for a fantasy/action book series for young readers. I got so bored with it that I skimmed the whole second half. I think there are better options for early chapter book series out there, but the Secrets of Droon will certainly have appeal to some readers.
Jacqueline
These books are poorly written and ridiculous. There are much better series for 1st and 2nd graders to read. And if you read them out loud they are agony. Remember you shouldn't force children to read anything you wouldn't like and these are drivel. I try to steer customers away from them at the bookstore where I work. Try Magic Tree House or Geronimo Stilton, Cam Jansen or Junie B. Jones instead.
Heidi-Marie
I like when I can read an 80 page book in 45 minutes. I would estimate the reading level of this one to be 1st-2nd grade. It's a chapter book, the print is a decent size, and the story is easy to follow. Typical of many of the other popular series. I like the world that Abbott has created and I could see how many children would be interested in this series. Great for the imagination.
Bradie
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like that the Secrets of Droon books all have very different details, which makes each book new and exciting. Journey to the Volcano place is my favorite so far, but l haven't yet read them all. I liked when they met the Lumpies, and the exciting adventure. I'm going to start the third book, right now!
Bradie- Age 7. Transcribed by Mom. :)
Matthew
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
The three main characters, of which Neil is my least favorite, are all fairly well represented in this story. The new land that they entered via portal was dangerous and reasonably suspenseful. An okay second story. Good for the right audience. Even though I wasn't the right audience, it was reasonably entertaining.
Caroline Herfindahl
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the adventure in this second book of the Droon series. I like the foreshadowing in dreams that the kids have before heading off to the land of Droon. It helps emerging readers develop some higher level comprehension skills. For books written in simple language, they are fun little adventures.
Julie
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school, s-read, 2014-15
The five star review was awarded by my 5yo son... so from a kid's point of view, the book was great :) I would give it three stars... it was a good, easy read for a little kid. In fact, it is the first novel that S has read on his own. I would have liked to have seen more of a story line and a better ending, but alas... at least it kept our interest :)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • The Diamond Princess Saves the Day (The Jewel Kingdom, #4)
  • Night of the New Magicians (Magic Tree House, #35)
  • Sepron The Sea Serpent (Beast Quest, #2)
  • The Evil Elves (Moongobble and Me #3)
  • Mayflower Treasure Hunt (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #2)
  • Aliens for Breakfast
  • The King's Equal
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • The Forging of the Blade (Lowthar's Blade, #1)
Tony Abbott (born 1952) is an American author of children's books. His most popular work is the book series The Secrets of Droon, which includes over 40 books. He has sold over 12 million copies of his books and they have been translated into several other languages, including Italian, Spanish, Korean, French, Japanese, Polish, Turkish, and Russian. He has also written the bestseller "Firegirl".
Ab
More about Tony Abbott

The Secrets of Droon (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon, #3)
  • City in the Clouds (The Secrets of Droon, #4)
  • The Great Ice Battle (The Secrets of Droon, #5)
  • The Sleeping Giant of Goll (The Secrets of Droon, #6)
  • Into the Land of the Lost (The Secrets of Droon, #7)
  • The Golden Wasp (The Secrets of Droon, #8)
  • The Tower of the Elf King (The Secrets of Droon, #9)
  • Quest for the Queen (The Secrets of Droon, #10)
  • The Hawk Bandits of Tarkoom (The Secrets of Droon, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99