Start by marking “La isla del hada” as Want to Read:
La isla del hada

Read Book* *Different edition

La isla del hada

Edgar Allan Poe's short story about an unnamed narrator who wanders in solitude and comes across an islet that is inhabited by fairies.
Published May 9th 2014 by El Cid Editor (first published June 7th 1841)

To ask other readers questions about La isla del hada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La isla del hada

Rym
Actual rating: 3.5

Reflective and full to the brim with vivid imagery!

"la musique est le seul des talents qui jouissent de lui meme; tous les autres veulent des temoins."

The Island of the Fay is a prose-fantasy by the American writer Edgar Allan Poe, published in 1841.
The story is told by an anonymous narrator, who chances upon a "profusely verdured" islet and fancies that a fairy is present on the island.

I have read some comments pertaining to this tale and I was quite surprised at the fact that
Annie♡
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Me gusta mucho la prosa del autor, pero a este relato le hicieron falta páginas. No pude disfrutarlo y me dejó indiferente.
Guzzo
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Es un relato preciosista y poético, una maravilla.

Dan ganas de salir corriendo, comprar los Cuentos completos de Edgar Allan Poe editados por Páginas de Espuma, coger un avión y pasar de las Navidades.
Iloveplacebo
Me duele darle una estrella a algo escrito por Poe, pero...

Reto: La Mansión Encantada - del grupo 'La cafetería de Audrey'.
Tema: hadas.
Natalie
The first part was a little dull. Honestly I had a hard time focusing on it.

The imagery at the end was beautiful. The fairy queen moving through life was lovely symbolism.

Honestly, I'm sure I could read this and find lots of deep meaning it, but I didn't really care to go looking for it.

The latter was all one radiant harem of garden beauties. It glowed and blushed beneath the eyes of the slant sunlight, and fairly laughed with flowers.

...darkness fell over all things and I beheld her magical
Xfi
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Relato muy corto, poético y preciosista pero sin una historia clara.
Una fábula sobre el ciclo de la vida y la naturaleza.
Betty
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasía
Un relato mágico y poético. Un canto al ciclo de la vida, realmente es muy metafísico, creo que para captarlo no basta con una sola lectura. Otra faceta de Poe, interesante.
A.N. Mignan
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Poetic description of Nature and of the Cycle of Life. There is certainly a lot to decipher in here...
David Doyle
Totally not expecting something like this from Poe, a spiritual reflection on life. He begins with a discussion that by solitary reflection on music and nature we connect with God and understand where we stand in the universe. Life revolves in cycles, with their revolutions being centered on the Godhead.

To illustrate his point, he then describes a small island in a river with a few trees at its center. One end of the island is sunny and the other is cast in the shadows of the trees. He imagines
Agustina
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simplemente hermoso. Si bien Poe es confuso y bastante rebuscado en sus relatos y explicaciones sobre la vida, este lo escribió tan natural y alegre que cuesta creer que es de él.
Este hombre jamás va a dejar de sorprenderme.

"En pocas palabras, a causa de nuestra propia estimación, nos equivocamos de medio a medio al creer que el hombre, tanto es su destino temporal como futuro, es de mayor importancia en el universo que ese vasto "terrón del valle" que él cultiva y desprecia, y al cual niega u
K. Anna Hardy
I have arranged my thoughts into a haiku:

"Easier alone,
To find meaning in musings,
Profoundness in lack."
Ahmed Ibrahim
لم ار اى قصه فيها !

فقط وصف باسلوب مذهل
Dora Vrhoci
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such sublimity, and such stylistic grace swirl within this peculiar tale.

Although lacking Poe’s well-known macabre touch, The Island of the Fay romantically fuses the themes of nature and death, evoking, with all the beauty of Poe’s poetic expression, a most meditative sight of reverie and fright.
Joshua Shioshita
A very poetic, surreal, dreamlike story that seems to be a metaphor on life, death, and the never ending cycle. You're not really given much more than that. Not much of a plot, more about an experience and feeling.
Zanela Denise
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ethereal.
Alexa
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fairy Island... Hmmm.!
sabisteb aka callisto
„Die Feeninsel“ ist der Auftakt der nun 8. Staffel und erzählt nahtlos die Ereignisse von „Landors Landhaus“ weiter. Poe wurde wegen Mordes und Hexerei verhaftet und in ein Irrenasyl verbracht.
Leonie versucht ihn zu finden und seine Unschuld zu beweisen. Sie spricht daher mit dem Richter des New Yorker Sondergerichts Sir Christopher Frank, das sich um Poes Fall kümmert. Da Poe den Kopf des Opfers abgetrennt und weggehext haben soll wurde er der Hexerei angeklagt. Leonie macht sich daher auf den
Ebster Davis
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is an island in this story, and a fay creature, but to me the island he's talking about is mother earth.

Quotes:
"I love to regard these as themselves but the colossal members of one vast animate and sentient whole — a whole whose form (that of the sphere) is the most perfect and most inclusive of all"
(So he's a pagan, interesting!)

"As we find cycle within cycle without end — yet all revolving around one far-distant centre which is the Godhead, may we not analogically suppose, in the same m
Fed
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is a spiritual reflection of Poe; it is written in Poe-like style, but without the agony and horror that I have read in previous' Poe-work. Although this mystical/spiritual type of writing is outside Poe’s genre, it is reflective, and owns eloquent descriptions. However, this story, requires the reader to work a little harder to connect words and meaning in a way that I have not seen in Poe's writing style.

The story is full of descriptions which help creating an image of the island an
Jairzinho
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
La isla del hada es bastante corta ya que sentí que falto más descripción de ella inclusive cuando solo trata sobre los ciclos en la vida o al menos eso fue lo que yo entendí al describir la isla que parece que estuviera flotando sobre la cual una hada da vueltas sobre ella, me hubiera gustado más descripción de la isla ya que era una imagen bastante agradable por la manera en la que Poe escribe.
Courtney Brogle
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I looked into this story and found that Poe wrote this for a magazine and accompanied a picture. He brings it to life in our minds and a picture really isn't necessary for one as talented as Poe.

This short is different from his other pieces but still has the solemn beauty you see in his works.

If you are a fan of Poe, you should definitely read this story.
Cameron
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Odd. Just... odd. And not in the good way, necessarily. I wonder what Poe was smoking/drinking when he wrote this, and it was really very dreamy and "out-there". It didn't really go anywhere, didn't have much in the way of a plot, and the description, while detailed and fantastic, just didn't seem to add any depth to the story. An interesting read, but ultimately, I'm afraid, a forgettable one.
Rachel
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather unexpected from Poe, and very meandering. I'm honestly not sure if he really had a clear idea of what he was trying to present in this short essay, but it certainly provided good fruit for thought and discussion!
Benjamin Stahl
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I don't know. It was alright, I suppose. I was eating McDonalds as I read it, so I guess that's something.

description

Yah fat shit. Go buy a fuckin treadmill.
Neelam Babul
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story depicting the meaning of life and death. The imagery portrayed is so vivid you would want to explore the island yourself.

The first part is a bit dull but the story has deep meaning and immense wisdom.
Abby
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again the language is beautiful as is Poe's style. This has dreamlike quality in the narrative.
Rahma Martin
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I quote: "A quick imagination might have converted into any thing it pleased." And so mine did :)
M. Ashraf
Nullus enim locus sine genio est. -- Servius.

This is not Poe's usual work but it is still beautiful!
Anna
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was not as creepy as the other two I read, but Poe's description and use of language definitely was the best in this short story!

• The Artist of the Beautiful