Start by marking “Heirs of the Force (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heirs of the Force (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #1)

Heirs of the Force

(Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights #1)

The first of six novels based on the Star Wars movies. While exploring the jungle outside the academy, Jacen and Jaina uncover the remains of an enemy fighter plane crashed years before in the years of the first great war.
Published March 15th 1999 by Berkley (first published June 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Heirs of the Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs of the Force

Scott Rhee
Once upon a time, in an alternative universe, Han Solo and Princess Leia had three children, unlike the new “official” universe timeline, in which they had only one son, Ben Solo, who would grow up to be Kylo Ren and (spoiler alert!) kill his own father. In this new “official” universe, the Empire has transmogrified into something called the First Order. The Rebel Alliance eventually became the New Republic, but there is also a group called the Resistence. (This part gets confusing.) Leia is now ...more
Joey
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-5-stars
Before Harry, Ron, and Hermione roamed the halls of Hogwarts, Jacen, Jaina, Lowbacca, and Tenel Ka were students in Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. The first entry of this 1995 saga even begins with the male protagonist communicating with a snake.

A fallen TIE pilot has survived in the jungle twenty years after the destruction of the first Death Star. Qorl, or CE3K-1977 (a nod to a Spielberg science fiction film) encounters the students and things get ugly.

This was a quick read, but did
Stefan
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, Heirs of the Force essentially serves as an introduction to the 14 books long Young Jedi Knights series, which describes the studies of the Solo twins and their friends Lowbacca (a nephew of Chewbacca) and Tenel Ka (a young girl from Dathomir, brought up in the ways of the Singing Mountain Clan) at the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV. As always with the first book in a series Heirs of the Force has the difficult job of establishing the setting and the characters of the upcoming stories, which tak ...more
Jaime K
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was first written in 1995 - the same year the "Junior Jedi Knight" series first began. I like that though this was published before, there are a few things that are open enough to prevent any sort of contradiction from the JJK books, which chronologically come before this. Because they were nearly written in tandem (albeit from different authors), I'm hoping to see some elements from JJK in the YJK series as I continue.

The Solo twins are 14 and at Luke's Academy for what seems to be th
Jamie
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This series was the first Star Wars series I ever read. Now, years later I apparently can still go back, reread them ad fall in love with the Star Wars universe all over again.

I love the characters in this! Especially the twins, Jaina and Jacen. The introduction to their early training and being able to learn more about Yavin 4 (The Former Rebel base in A New Hope) is most interesting. I love the jungle moon. And oddly enough I like the survivor these knights in training come across. I wanted m
Hannah
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
This series is no longer canon, but I was all over it when I was 10-13 or so. In fact, they were the first books I ever camped the library branches and a used book store to acquire. I tried a reread to see how they held up...

I was not impressed. The action and world-building additions were there, but I think I'm a bit more keyed in to writing quality now. And for such a giant universe, there seemed like way too many humans.

One Star Wars book that did hold up for me was Tales from the Mos Eisley
Ari
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I read this whole series several times when I was a kid. These were a lot of fun and easy to read. They really helped me along my way to enjoy reading and becoming obessed with Star Wars. This book was really one of the best. We meet alot of charaters that became close frinds to the reader. I feel Anderson was able to identify what i young adult would be lookig for in characters and hit it bullseye. Kudos for a great series.
Shana
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is ridiculous and juvenile and talks about brandy colored eyes a little too much and I don't even care I love it I'm gonna read the entire series.
Ron
Juvenile, but, hey, that's what it is.
Jordan Anderson
Heirs to the Force and the entire YJK series is a huge blast from the past and reminds me of those mid 90’s school days when Star Wars ruled the 3rd and 4th grade classrooms alongside Goosebumps and Animorphs. I know I read this particular Young Jedi Knights novel sometime between 4th and 5th grade, but I’ll be damned if I could remember any of it.

And, as I’m working my way through the insane backlog of Star Wars related “YA” publications it’s a good thing I stumbled across these books, both for
Annye
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Young Jedi Knights was one of my favorite series when I was little. It’s YA (bordering on middle grade, I think), and follows Leia and Han’s children, Jaina and Jacen, as they begin their training as Jedi Knights. It is now out of print and doesn’t seem to exist in ebook form, but copies are available on eBay for five dollars or so.

The book is a very fast read and extremely light. The characters – Jaina, Jacen, and their friends and allies – are all shells of interesting characters. They have th
Darryl Dobbs
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Whenever I read the young adult SW books, I try to read from the perspective of the target audience. Would my daughter enjoy this book? Maybe. There are certainly better ones out there. This did have a reasonable plotline, with the crashed TIE fighter pilot living in the jungle of Yavin 4 for 20 years. But the over-simplification of the conflict and resolution was just too much for me. That is, I understand, what makes a young adult novel what it is. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll ...more
Jonathan D
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I credit several authors for getting me into my love of reading. This list includes Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta for their Young Jedi Knights Series, of which I read about a half dozen of years ago.

Heirs to the Force was a decent introduction to the series. It set up Jacen and Jaina, the main protagonists while having many other major characters for the series, such as Tenel Ka and Lowbacca.

While being a childrens book, it really sets up the tone the rest of the series follows. Jacen's j
Christian
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
In a galaxy far far away or more like ten years ago Heirs of the Force was my first introduction into the Star Wars Expanded Universe. This story is a quick and easy read. If my memory serves me right, a majority of the book is used to introduce new characters and highlight their strengths. The story mainly revolves the children of Han Solo and Princess Leia – Jacen and Jaina. Eventually, they decide to explore the planet they are on and stubble across an old TIE fighter and an imperial pilot. T ...more
Colin McEvoy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
It's basically the Star Wars equivalent of the Harry Potter movies (well, at least the first couple). I mean, there's a young Jedi food fight, for goodness' sake! But that's what I'd expect from a young adult novel, so it's fine. Enjoyable enough quick read if you're an adult Star Wars book completionist like me and basically have to read it. The translator droid is basically a C-3PO rethread, and Lowbacca is basically the same for Chewbacca, but again: high literature this ain't, so who really ...more
Jacob Hendrickson
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent look into the independance and the ingenuity. This boo khelp teens see that they can be whatever they want, and they do not need to be stuck in societies view they have made for them. Each teen and young adult has a personality, and comes from a different place and should be respected for that different view and who you are.

Kevin J. Anderson has written this wonderful novel, and opener to a series where teens will do extraordinary things, and can inspire young people to do that now,
Myke Edwards
I tried, but this was my final Star Wars book. Being a completist, I was excited to see the adventures of Han and Leia's twins, plus some other characters (one of which just happened to be related to Chewie, because OF COURSE THERE WAS A CHARACTER LIKE THAT), and it was short.
There was a neat little plot here, but ultimately, it wasn't as tense as I'd expect. Didn't continue on, and stopped reading Star Wars after this.
I mean, come on, I was a big boy, and needed to read actual books. Glad I did
Ben Briles
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved these books while reading them out of order as a kid, and the stories still hold up! Since they're meant mostly for kids, I can even excuse the authors' repeated efforts to beat us over the head with references from the movies. 🤣 As I've said before, I don't mind Kevin Anderson and I actually like pretty much everything I've read by him, but he does have a tendency to refer to the movies too much. That being said, this was still a fun read, and I look forward to revisiting the rest of th ...more
David Campbell
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really fun and fast to read, and the story flowed very well from beginning to end. The main characters - Jacen, Jaina, and Lowbacca are all interesting characters, and the TIE pilot brought some nice tension into the story. Overall, this book has interested me in reading the other books from the YJK series.
Jesse
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this to Raven. The writing is very wordy, and the book started off quite slow. But when the action got going it was quite tense. I love these characters and look forward to reading more to him. I especially can't wait to get to "Lightsabers", that was my favorite as a kid.
Izzy
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Excited to continue with the series and see where it goes!
Bradhernandez
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Trip down memory lane
Jerry
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun space opera adventure featuring the Solo kids.
Nicole
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Man, I hadn't read this book since middle school I think! Just as entertaining as I remember it!
Lily Henry
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kylo Ren who? I only know Jaina and Jacen.
Jesse Whitehead
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a pretty mediocre book as these things go.

On the one hand, it’s a story about Jacen and Jaina Solo learning to be Jedi at the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. On the other hand, it’s mostly poorly written and more than a little silly.

I feel like each of the main characters has exactly one personality trait. Jacen likes animals, Jaina fixes mechanical things, Lowbacca fixes computers (except his little translator droid who somebody thought it was a good idea to model after C-3PO — which brings up
Janet
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
this book fed my inner 12yo. it was fun, a quick read, a little danger, lots of friendship and adventure. oh yeah, it was well written.
*Amelia*
Apr 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Ok, so as I'm continuing to read the four hundred Star Wars expanded universe books in my house, and I figured I better do these ones before I entirely spoil them by reading the ones that come after.
I think my mom might have actually read us some these when I was really little. Not that I remember any of it.

Anyways, they are NOT good.

The plot could be interesting

The characters could be awesome

But they are NOT well written

This is the opposite of most books I don't like. Usually, the writing is fi
B. Reese
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this book when it first came out, and was so excited for it. Jacen and Jaina getting Jedi Training and having adventures? Written by one of my favorite authors at the time, KJA? Count me in!

I had seen their birth in Zahn's book, and I was getting to watch them grow up.

Their first outing was exciting and enjoyable. I even enjoyed Lowbacca and his droid.

I finished this book quickly and wanted more, but the podunk town i lived in didn't ever get any of these at the wal mart, and the comi
Amy Rae
I needed something light-hearted and fun to read at night, because I was reading The Great Gatsby during the day and was not about to do so right before I slept (I didn't want melancholy dreams), and Heirs of the Force was perfect. It's the first of Kevin J. Anderson's Young Jedi Knights books, a series of old EU young reader titles about Han and Leia's twin children.

I went in expecting to like the twins, loathe the Chewbacca replacement (his nephew, Lowbacca aka Lowie), and tolerate the prose,
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)
  • Zorba the Hutt's Revenge (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #3)
  • Kenobi's Blade (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #6)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Tales from the Empire (Star Wars)
  • The Day of Reckoning (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #8)
  • Tyrant's Test (Star Wars : Black Fleet Crisis, #3)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more

Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Shadow Academy (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #2)
  • The Lost Ones (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #3)
  • Lightsabers (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #4)
  • Darkest Knight (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #5)
  • Jedi Under Siege (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #6)
  • Shards of Alderaan (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #7)
  • Diversity Alliance (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #8)
  • Delusions of Grandeur (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #9)
  • Jedi Bounty (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #10)
  • The Emperor's Plague (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #11)