Start by marking “Juggling Elephants: An Easier Way to Get Your Most Important Things Done--Now!” as Want to Read:
Juggling Elephants: An Easier Way to Get Your Most Important Things Done--Now!

Juggling Elephants: An Easier Way to Get Your Most Important Things Done--Now!

What do you do when your life feels as busy as a three-ring circus?

Juggling Elephants tells a simple but profound story about one man with a universal problem. Mark has too much to do, too many priorities, too much stress, and too little time.

As he struggles to balance his many responsibilities without cracking under the pressure, Mark takes a break to attend the circus
Published September 6th 2007 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Juggling Elephants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juggling Elephants

Start your review of Juggling Elephants: An Easier Way to Get Your Most Important Things Done--Now!
Shuhada Ramli
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn't sleep. Hence I continued my reading. Despite having an exhausted mental and drained energy, reading a good book really calm me down. I am so happy that I have chosen the right book to read at the right time. To be honest, I do feel like my life is like a three-ring circus and I was trying so hard to juggle the elephants all in at the same time. Which is completely unfair for me to do that to myself. To me, the author has successfully written it in a fictitious narrative where all of ...more
Jon Nakapalau
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, management
If you try to juggle elephants you will get squished! This book helps you become the ringmaster of you own circus...the first step in a life that you can enjoy even as you work hard.
Bob
Jan 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
While my iceberg was melting and i was looking for my cheese I found the time to juggle elephants. Enough said
Janene
May 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, help
My husband brought this home from the library and read it in an hour. One evening I picked it up. I just couldn't pass up the catchy title, and the large print that guaranteed it would be a very quick read that could possibly give me some tools for better life management.

Now that I'm done, my two stars is equivalent to a shoulder shrug. Nothing life changing here. Basically, the concept is this: your life is a circus and you are the ringmaster. Your three rings (for example) are: professional,
Carole P. Roman
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great little book about putting everything in your life into perspective. Oddly enough, I read the book last night and this morning ended up describing the methods to both my sons this morning. They were overwhelmed and complaining about all the crazy things going on, and the whole idea of changing yourself into the "ringmaster" resonated with both of them. The authors highlight the main ideas or concepts, which are all pretty much common sense, but useful to remember when we get swept up the ...more
Childsplayx2
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a book that uses the analogy that your life is similar to a three-ring circus. Each ring represents your work, relationships and self.

The book is a quick read (I read it in about an hour and a half) and does give you ways to think about how you prioritize your life. However, I think the one drawback is that it doesn't give enough meat and, instead, focuses almost entirely on the 3 rings and not enough time, in my opinion, on how to really accomplish everything. You have to connect the
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, hard-copy
Juggling Elephants by Jones Loflin and Todd Musig
An Easier Way to Get your Most Important Things Done -Now!

Told in the format of a story from within the three rings of a Circus, this business self-help book may have an impact if time is spent on introspective tasks. Some good questions to ask yourself when going through your own priority list.
Includes a couple of good examples in the first half but got a little vague in the last third, specifically about reviewing the “act”.

My mentoring Circle
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was required to read this for work. This is a very simple story that uses an analogy of a circus to talk about prioritizing, both at work and in life. While all of the points were valid, they weren't anything new. I didn't get much out of it, but I know people who did. Bottom line, it just wasn't for me.
Katia
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great and practical Business book

In just a few pages, this book talks about how to prioritize your daily tasks, communicate with your peers, subordinates, also take about employee morale and how to organize your life.
Remember you don't live to work, there's much more in life.
This book gives you a lot of insights to think about.
Very good book.!!
James
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Always nice when you find a book that resets your head at the right time and when needed the most. Ok, maybe not needed the most like the 'leadership and self deception; getting out of the box', was, but a very good story about the circus and how it relates to running your life.
Michelle
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A simple concept of management resembling a circus that helps to drive home these essential concepts. A quick read, but effective in gaining attention and providing areas for application. I found myself thinking about the concepts and matching my business members.
Molly
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kind of fits into the "life management" category. It's short, it's something you can relate to, and I think it's going to prove extremely helpful and useful to me. Definitely recommend it to people feeling overwhelmed by life.
Heather
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy read. Good metaphor for organization and prioritization. Some printable resources are on the website.
Mokah25
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple and practical advice about managing your time and priorities in life. The whole book is written as a metaphorical story, much like Who Moved My Cheese? A quick 2 hour read. Worth it!
Denise
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very simple concept. Almost overly simplistic. But I just enjoyed the concept and metaphor for life. This is a little but very easy read
Liz Michael
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read and a reminder of HOW to get things done and be a better manager of my life. It relates it to the circus---three ring circus of life. I recommend it for a quick fun easy book.
Monica
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everyone can say their life was a three ring circus at one time or another. This gave me a new perspective on handling (or not) stress. Can't put it down.
Schuurman Laurence
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story and illustrations. It brought me insight about balance and how to balance between all the areas of my life.
Heather
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: basically no one
Required reading for work. There's nothing in this that's new or interesting. The basics boil down to: manage your time better and you won't feel as overwhelmed, which is such a basic concept that it ends up being useless in helping people who are incredibly overwhelmed (the obvious target audience of this book). Without getting into the details of my work environment, believe me when I say this is not going to help with our particular problems.

When it wasn't being obvious, it was being
Jinnie Lee
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Work teams who need an easy process for/way to communicate about time management
This book is written by folks who were involved in the "Who Moved My Cheese" phenom, and this book is written in the same style - a simple "fable" that uses the circus as a metaphor for juggling the responsibilities of life. Advice is boiled down into a set of adages like "If you try to juggle elephants, no one, including you, will be thrilled with your performance...A Ringmaster can not be in all three rings at once [work, personal, and relationships]...The key to the success of a circus is ...more
Leigh Anne
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a cute little time management parable you can read in an hour or so. A woman whose life is in a shambles goes to visit her father and, hopefully, get some advice. He has a meeting to get to, but he leaves her with a story he wrote about a time when she was little, and the family went to the circus.

The bottom line? Running your life smoothly is like being the ringmaster of a circus. You have to know how many rings you've got going on, what acts should be in the ring, and whether or not
Name Third Name
Jackie
Although incredibly full of common sense ideas and plans, Juggling Elephants: An Easier Way to Get Your Most Important Thing Done-Now! serves as a gentle reminder of the way various aspects of our lives intertwine and what is the most effective way to accomplish the most important goals.

Written in simplistic, almost childlike words, it, however, gives us a chance (if we choose to accept it) to step back and reflect on troubles, deadlines, and all those competing influences in our lives.
Matias Ferradas
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author's message of the key 3 Rings in life, and the need to carefully balance your time between the three equally will resonate for most people - especially those with full (or overflowing) professional and personal lives.

The weaving of the message into a narrative makes for an easier read (as opposed to other, more dry books I've read), as does the short length of the book.

5 stars for the combination of relevant, useful message and also the ease of reading.
Joyce
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Very quick read. Simplistic comparison of life to a circus, but effective points. I had trouble resolving how you are supposed to be fully present in the current "ring" and yet have the acts in the other rings ready to go. But, I do like the idea of making sure there is a balance among the main aspects of your life. And, the idea of giving each your full attention while you are there. I pride myself on my masterful multitasking, but maybe that's not always the goal...
Kara Beal
May 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Mercifully, this book is short. If it had been any longer, I wouldn't have been able to get through it. It's a painfully written business parable about setting priorities in order to maximize your effectiveness. There's nothing earth shattering here, and nothing detailed enough to actually be helpful.
Jane Healy
This parable compares a circus to our 3-ring lives--work, relationships, self--and explains how to take control of each and keep them working well together. There's nothing really new here, but the information is expressed in a winsome way that's easy to read and easier to digest than cotton candy.
Adrian
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was good. A little hokey but the message is well received. You have to prioritize important things, make time for yourself and loved ones and take moments to both reflect and adjust your plan. Well conveyed.
Alyssa Lane
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I appreciate the message and what the author was trying to say.. But my god this read like a self-help book for idiots. I don't need you to talk to me at a 4th grade reading level for me to understand your ideas. So I really couldn't recommend this book to anyone over the age of 12.
Nick
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
You know those cheesy videos your work makes you watch where they try to teach things with characters who don't speak the way people do in real life? This is like that. Some good info in here, but the packaging was awful.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Beyond the Goal: Eliyahu Goldratt Speaks on the Theory of Constraints
  • It Takes What It Takes: How to Think Neutrally and Gain Control of Your Life
  • Behold a Pale Horse
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Time Management from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Taking Control of Your Schedule--and Your Life
  • To Hell with the Hustle
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • How to Get Dressed: A Costume Designer's Secrets for Making Your Clothes Look, Fit, and Feel Amazing
  • Born to Win: Find Your Success Code
  • Don't Eat the Marshmallow Yet!: The Secret to Sweet Success in Work and Life
  • Don't Gobble the Marshmallow...Ever!: The Secret to Sweet Success in Times of Change
  • 活著
Jones Loflin is an internationally recognized author, speaker and corporate trainer with almost twenty years of experience in helping people achieve excellence. He is best known for his unique ability to develop and deliver practical solutions that specifically address the complex needs of an organization. Jones also believes that when people are laughing, they are learning.

You can learn more
“People sometimes need to laugh, relax, and not take themselves so seriously.” 4 likes
“The ringmaster cannot be in all three rings at once.” 0 likes