Start by marking “Summer Meditations” as Want to Read:
Summer Meditations

Summer Meditations

In a book written while he was president of Czechoslovakia, Vaclav Havel combines the same powerful eloquence, moral passion, and abiding wisdom that informed his writing as a dissident and playwright, with a candor unprecedented from one with the broad perspective and infinite responsibility of governing a country.

Havel, now president of the Czech Republic, addresses the
Published June 1st 1993 by Vintage (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Meditations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Meditations

Hana
Jun 17, 2015 Hana rated it it was amazing
A beautiful insight into the mind of a great Czech humanist and a former president. Two years after the Velvet revolution, he kindly explains his political action, his intentions and humanistic principles. He reflects on the way of establishing democracy in Czechoslovakia and creating the new constitution, his fear of separation of Czech and Slovak nations (with admirable understanding of the Slovak side of view), the status of Czechoslovakia among other states and its participation in internati ...more
Adam
Dec 22, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it
Havel, the artist, was a reluctant head of state (as he was a reluctant dissident). Claiming a commitment stemming from a sense of decency and morality, Havel writes that “It simply seemed to me that, since I had been saying A for so long, I could not refuse to say B; it would have been irresponsible of me to criticize the Communist regime all my life and then, when it finally collapsed (with some help from me), refuse to take part in the creation of something better” (xvi).

Havel reasons that i
Tomislav
Nov 24, 2014 Tomislav rated it liked it
Shelves: history, politics
I have enormous respect for Václav Havel, for the role he played during the cultural and economic transformation of Czechoslovakia, and also for the humane political values which he espoused before and during that time. In many ways, he is personally responsible for the differences between how Czechoslovakia broke up, and how Yugoslavia broke up.

This book was written in 1991 while he served as the somewhat reluctant first post-communist president of Czechoslovakia, and before its break-up into t
Carole
Jan 19, 2008 Carole rated it really liked it
I thought I read this book for the first time when I was 18, but when I "re-read" it a couple of months ago, it seemed to me that I maybe hadn't actually read the whole thing back then. I think I may only have read the first couple of chapters. Anyways, now I've read the whole thing.

Havel wrote this book while he was the president of Czechoslovakia, shortly before the Velvet Divorce when the county split up. This is a book that really gives you hope that politics really can be moral and civil. I
Mark
Jan 18, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it
Jim
Mar 05, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in political philosophy
When I first read this series of essays in 1994, the revolutions of 1989 were still giving off a soft afterglow. Havel, the dissident playwright, led the "Velvet Revolution" that overthrew the communist regime in Czechoslovakia and was subsequently chosen as president. He symbolized the new Europe for many people.

Havel argues that the validity of political systems should be judged on how well they conform to humanistic values. Reading his work gives one hope that a politics based in ethical rela
Annie
Jun 20, 2007 Annie rated it really liked it
the next presendential election is over a year away, and i'm already feeling disenchanted by politics again. reading havel's political and personal philosophy was a breath of fresh air. it's nice to hear a public figure talk about morality and discover they are referring to kindness, sincerity and compassion rather than the "morality" talking points we are subjected to by politicians in this country -- dogmatic right wing ideology. imagine having a dissident and playwright as our president who " ...more
Nick Diaco
Apr 02, 2016 Nick Diaco rated it liked it
Summer Meditations, a brilliant book by an extraordinary man, can be summed up in one simple phrase: embrace ideas, not ideologies. It is surprising how relevant the problems that faced post-communist Czechoslovakia are to our own society today, and how much better off we would all be if we were to abide by Havel's simple political principles. Although this book might not masterfully translated (don't try to read it for pleasure), its important message is by no means lost in translation.

If I eve
Kit
Oct 12, 2014 Kit rated it really liked it
I picked up this book while travelling in the Czech Republic. It was fascinating to read Vaclav Havel's hopes and concerns for the future of his country, written just after the fall of communism, while observing first hand what things are like a little more than 20 years later, the book is short, heartfelt, insightful, and well written. There is at least one quotable line on almost every page. Even though many things have changed since he wrote the book (e.g. the Czech and Slovak republics have ...more
Jared
May 05, 2015 Jared rated it really liked it
A Primer to Ethical Politics, all over the world and at home, this book should be read (it's first chapter at least) by those who want to be leaders or in politics. For the way it describes the the political machine in human terms, and the fact that he wrote this book while president of a country, about the country, most of it can't be limited to just Czechoslovakia. However there are other books written around this phenomena of a playwright politician, so this may not be the absolutely best boo ...more
Andrés
Oct 12, 2007 Andrés rated it really liked it
A decent book, but it lacks the power of Disturbing the Peace. More than a guide to living in truth, this book serves as a chronicle of the first years after the Velvet Revolution in the Czech Republic. Thus, like most memoirs it tends to skirt Havel's most personal thoughts. Notwithstanding this fault, the book does a fair job of defending democracy and the free market, as well as illumining the challenges facing Eastern Europe.
Frank Roberts
Jan 25, 2013 Frank Roberts rated it really liked it
I hold Havel in high esteem--the closest thing in our modern age to one of the American Founding Fathers, endowed with good sense, intellect, principle, and love of country.

This book is a collection of his thoughts on the path for the Czechoslovakian nation in the early 90s. Much of what he predicted and hoped for has come to pass, but the real value of this book is in its expression of timeless wisdom about political principles and human nature.
Megan Aveni
Jul 12, 2013 Megan Aveni rated it it was amazing
While I do see this book as a very optimistic approach to politics, Havel's hope for the world is contagious, and his passion is unmistakable. His understanding of human nature is invaluable. This book is full of practical wisdom, not only for aspiring politicians, but also for those who simply wish to make a difference in the world around them. I highly recommend this read.
Emily
Mar 31, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: european-history
The book was strongest at the beginning, but in the second half Havel tends to ramble, compounding this tendency with every -ization he can possibly think of to complicate the matter. Obviously though, he's a brilliant politician and writer. I'm glad I read it.
George Zarubin
Aug 29, 2010 George Zarubin rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insights into Havel's thinking... Not sure I agree with his thoughts that a state can be based on ideas, not ideology, but I like his reference about working for a 'higher responsibility' in one's life! Good book!
Darcie
Jul 10, 2011 Darcie rated it it was amazing
If only more world leaders were as passionate and dedicated as Havel.
Vikas Datta
Beautiful
Kayla Grzech
Jun 01, 2012 Kayla Grzech marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
if you were to take everything i've ever said, felt, or thought about politics and write it down into a book, this would be it. Except told from the viewpoint of a revolutionary Czech president.
Emilelisa
Jul 22, 2007 Emilelisa rated it really liked it
Vaclav, bravo!
David
David rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
jill
jill rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2007
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Chilly SavageMelon
Chilly SavageMelon rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2012
Hasenfus
Hasenfus rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Elliot
Elliot rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2017
Iveta Krchová
Iveta Krchová rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Tina Bui
Tina Bui rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: combining edition 2 7 Jul 01, 2014 02:07PM
  • History of the Present: Essays, Sketches, and Dispatches from Europe in the 1990s
  • Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement
  • The Second Plane: 14 Responses to September 11
  • Power
  • The Accidental American: Immigration and Citizenship in the Age of Globalization
  • Individualism Old and New
  • The Best of Robert Ingersoll
  • Left in Dark Times: A Stand Against the New Barbarism
  • I'll Be Short: Essentials for a Decent Working Society
  • The Weed Agency: A Comic Tale of Federal Bureaucracy Without Limits
  • Pirates You Don't Know, and Other Adventures in the Examined Life: Collected Essays
  • The Clash Within: Democracy, Religious Violence, and India's Future
  • What Are Intellectuals Good For?
  • Defending the West: A Critique of Edward Said's Orientalism
Václav Havel was a Czech playwright, essayist, poet, dissident and politician. He was the tenth and last President of Czechoslovakia (1989–92) and the first President of the Czech Republic (1993–2003). He wrote over twenty plays and numerous non-fiction works, translated internationally. He received the US Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Philadelphia Liberty Medal, the Order of Canada, the free ...more
More about Václav Havel...

“There is only one thing I will not concede: that it might be meaningless to strive in a good cause.” 17 likes