Start by marking “Things That Make Us Smart: Defending Human Attributes In The Age Of The Machine” as Want to Read:
Things That Make Us Smart: Defending Human Attributes In The Age Of The Machine

Things That Make Us Smart: Defending Human Attributes In The Age Of The Machine

In Things That Make Us Smart, Donald A. Norman explores the complex interaction between human thought and the technology it creates, arguing for the development of machines that fit our minds, rather than minds that must conform to the machine.Humans have always worked with objects to extend our cognitive powers, from counting on our fingers to designing massive supercompu ...more
Published April 21st 1994 by Basic Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Things That Make Us Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things That Make Us Smart

Start your review of Things That Make Us Smart: Defending Human Attributes In The Age Of The Machine
Adman
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
"Many of the important parts of life go on outside the head, in our interactions with the world...with each other." (Donald Norman, Things That Make Us Smart, pg 117)

"[T]hose who benefit most from a technology and those who must do the work to make it function are different people." (pg 216)

In this 1993 book Norman observed, and mourned, that human experience has become subject to the calculating rhetoric of modern technology. Many tasks and experiences that people regularly en
Vicki
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
20 stars out of 10.

Hot DAMN. Everyone in tech should read this book. It should be mandatory if you are starting any kind of job in technology, particularly if you work with social networks. The main thrust is that there are things computers are good at, and things people are good at, and these are two different kinds of things, and for people who work with computers, they need to approach computer programs and interfaces with humans in mind first.

This book is from 1993 and predicts:

+filter bu
Dave
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely worth reading - my copy is now dense with Post-It flags - but the overall structure and coherence was not great. The latter half of the book felt like Donald Norman scavenged whatever writings he had on hand to hit his deadline. Mostly it was still interesting, but some chapters (especially the chapter on predicting future trends in technology) felt like an annoying diversion from the theme of designing-for-the-human instead designing-for-the-machine.

Cited in Toward a Theo
Tyra Baker
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible and very quick read. Would suggest everyone reads this at least once in their life.
Mike Murray
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Obdam
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, very good insights about how the world influence the view of people.
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it
I've had this book sitting around for awhile - I'd read Norman's The Design of Everyday Things (originally titled The Psychology of Everyday Things) sometime last summer and really enjoyed it.

Things That Make Us Smart is more scholarly - discussing the viewpoint that technology should adapt to us, instead of the current state where we are adapting to technology. The majority of the book discusses experiential vs. reflective experiences and how we can harness technology's strengths and "affordances" to compliment
Yates Buckley
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essential
Donald Norman’s work opens the mind to a vast space of science that is still nascent at the boundary of Psychology, Neuroscience, Computer Science and the intangibles of Design and Computer Human Interaction.

Most of all the refreshing perspective is how much room there is for different kinds of methodology in study, which could be as simple as qualitative research from reporting one’s sensation to quantitative studies worked around specific questions.

And most importantly
Dwight
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
It is amazing that this was written in 1993. That is a few years before many people had internet access. Except for a few sections and anecdotes that talk about the state of the art in '93, this book could have been written yesterday.

The premise is that people and machines are good at different tasks and we waste much time trying to get each to behave like the other. The author argues for a human centered view of technology where the machines conform to us rather than the other way around.
Jaco Delport
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Using tools such as writhing to extend our intelligence, very thoughtful observation.

As an engineering major I can definitely relate, it is nearly impossible to analyse an engineering problem with many variables without the tool of pen and paper to extend your working memory and a calculator to automate tedious arithmetic.

Very good book. Examples are outdated but principles still apply.
Tore
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cognitivescience
Raises key points about our attitudes towards machines and ourselves. Artefacts and human-centred design. Generally well written.
Norman also makes some surprisingly accurate (and of course some blatantly failing) predictions about technology usage.
Darwin Sass
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I first read this book probably 12+ years ago. I've read it once since then. I remember it teaching some very key points that can help many non-IT people understand why a software development requirement that may appear to be very simple ends up being a very difficult implementation.
Vaidehi
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delightful! Being human in a world of technology: perhaps a more critical account of the phenomenon than Neil Postman's. Both Norman and Postman are brilliant, but Norman's I think makes a sharper point for a more critical audience. Enjoyed the read.
Cynthia
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Just admit the machines have won already!

Heh, kidding aside, it had a few interesting ideas, but it wasn't as well thought out or explained as his more famous works.
Alain
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Beau geste!
Mikhail
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, checked-out
Halfway through the book I still felt as if I were reading a prologue. A general idea here, another one there, but not much substance. An average post of LessWrong.com provides more food for thought.
Alejandra
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
outdated but interesting
erinsabs
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Just purchased this for a class. No reviews yet!?! Any Good?
Sergiusz Golec
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Usability Engineering
  • Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility
  • Color for Designers: Ninety-five things you need to know when choosing and using colors for layouts and illustrations (Creative Core Book 2)
  • Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life
  • The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing
  • THE 7 QUALITIES OF TOMORROW´S TOP LEADERS: Successful Leadership In A New Era
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • French Feasts: 299 Traditional Recipes for Family Meals and Gatherings
  • Cooking Solves Everything: How Time in the Kitchen Can Save Your Health, Your Budget, and Even the Planet
  • Supply Chain Network Design: Applying Optimization and Analytics to the Global Supply Chain
  • Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Donald Arthur Norman is a professor emeritus of cognitive science at the University of California, San Diego and a Professor of Computer Science at Northwestern University, where he also co-directs the dual degree MBA + Engineering degree program between the Kellogg school and Northwestern Engineering. Norman is on numerous company advisory boards, including the editorial board of Encyclopædia Bri ...more
“It is easy to devise numerous possible scenarios of future developments, each one, on the face of it, equally likely.” 0 likes
“The overconfidence of scientists is probably necessary: Let them believe they are on the trail of something big, something important, and they will slave away for their entire lives, working, arguing, debating, exploring.” 0 likes