Start by marking “In Cold Blood” as Want to Read:
In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  515,743 ratings  ·  16,273 reviews
On November 15, 1959, in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas, four members of the Clutter family were savagely murdered by blasts from a shotgun held a few inches from their faces. There was no apparent motive for the crime, and there were almost no clues.

As Truman Capote reconstructs the murder and the investigation that led to the capture, trial, and execution of the kill
Paperback, First Vintage International edition, 343 pages
Published 1994 by Vintage (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about In Cold Blood, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Phi Klim I'd like to point that the fact he may have had sexual relationship with Perry Smith was never proved. It was just a cop of the KBI stating this as fa…moreI'd like to point that the fact he may have had sexual relationship with Perry Smith was never proved. It was just a cop of the KBI stating this as fact. Since there is no undeniable proof of this and until someone can prove that they indeed slept together, what this cop did is called defamation. Personally I don't think they were in a sexual relationship. Truman Capote indeed felt attracted by Perry but more in a emotional way. Both shared the same difficult and grim childhood.
Truman Capote: "It's as if Perry and I grew up in the same house. And one day he stood up and went out the back door, while I went out the front"(less)
Bruce Rusk "In Cold Blood" made in 1967 is a excellent film, highly recommended.

There was a remake for TV 1996 that is inferior, I don't recommend it.

"Capote" a…more
"In Cold Blood" made in 1967 is a excellent film, highly recommended.

There was a remake for TV 1996 that is inferior, I don't recommend it.

"Capote" and "Infamous" are both really about Capote although both films center around the authors time spent with the killers, particularly Smith, and his research writing the book.(less)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldAnimal Farm by George OrwellNineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
Best Books of the 20th Century
7,557 books — 49,290 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
51,159 books — 200,421 voters

More lists with this book...

·  515,743 ratings  ·  16,273 reviews

Start your review of In Cold Blood
Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"How much money did you get from the Clutters?"
"Between forty and fifty dollars."

HickokSmith

Top Picture Hickock, Richard Eugene (WM)28 KBI 97 093; FBI 859 273 A. Address: Edgerton, Kansas. Birthdate 6-6-31 Birthplace K.C., Kans. Height: 5-10 Weight: 175 Hair: Blond. Eyes: Blue. Build: Stout. Comp: Ruddy. Occup: Car Painter. Crime: Cheat & Defr. & Bad Checks. Paroled: 8-13-59 By: So. K.C.K.

Bottom Picture Smith, Perry Edward (WM) 27-59. Birthplace: Nevada. Height: 5-4. Weight: 156 Hair: D. Brn. Crime: B&
Michael Finocchiaro
I just wonder why it took me so long to get this masterpiece on my currently-reading shelf. What a breathtaking story! And told in the most amazing novelistic style! The cold-blooded murders in Kansas in 1956 is described by a cold, distant narrator via the interviews of the family, acquaintances, and community around the victims and the hair-raising stories of Perry and Bobby, the murderers. It is a real page-turner - I couldn't put it down! The descriptions of the youth of all the tragic prota ...more
Will Byrnes
description
Truman Capote - image from the NY Post

This is one of the great ones. Capote blankets Holcomb, Kansas with his curiosity. The root of this work is a ghastly crime. Two recently released convicts, seeking a fortune that did not exist, invade the Clutter family home, tie up the four family members present and leave no witnesses. It takes some time for the perpetrators to be identified, then tracked down. Capote looks at how the townspeople react to this. Many, fearful that one of their own was res
megs_bookrack
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute masterpiece of true crime literature. Gritty and intelligent!

This should be on everyone's 'books to read in a lifetime' list.

As many of you may know, In Cold Blood is a true account of the heinous murders of the Clutter Family in 1959 Kansas.

In my opinion, the writing style of this account is absolutely flawless.

Through Capote's words, you are transported to this small town; you get alternating accounts from the family, from the killers, from other residents close to the crime.

T
Brina
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Cold Blood is the new school classics selection in the group catching up on classics for November 2016. Having read Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's recently and enjoying his writing, I could not wait to read this nonfiction thriller in advance of the upcoming group read. Writing in his relaxing southern style, Capote turns a horrid crime into a story to make the how's and whys accessible to the average American. It is in this regard that I rate this thrilling classic five stars.

On Nov
David Putnam
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story made a huge impact on my life. There were six of us kids and come summer my mother couldn't handle all of us so she farmed me out every year to the aunts. One aunt lived in Indio. My mother put me on a Greyhound bus and nine years old; all alone with my brown paper grocery bag as luggage. I was scared to death. A Seagull hit the expansive windshield with splat of blood and feathers. Unfazed the driver merely turned on the windshield wipers and made and even bigger mess.
I arrived in In
Justin
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning, In Cold Blood reads like a classic southern gothic tale. I've read about Harper Lee hanging out with Capote while he put this thing together, and at times it feels like she greatly influenced how it was written. You meet the Clutters who are just the nicest people in the world out working hard and going to school and being awesome people in the town. And, I know there's all this controversy over how the book is written since it adds fictional conversations and thoughts that Cap ...more
J.L.   Sutton
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A seminal work for the nonfiction novel and the true crime genre, Truman Capote's In Cold Blood stands apart from most of its literary descendants. Not only is it compelling and suspenseful even when you know (like many crime dramatizations) what's going to happen, it's also very well-written. In fact, its literary quality gives In Cold Blood a dimension which few other nonfiction novels will match. The evolution of the form, since In Cold Blood, is nothing short of astonishing. It makes you app ...more
Amy Galaviz
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
After I read it, I looked up pictures of the Clutter family, and just stared for about five minutes. They endured what is probably everyone’s worst fear.

Having never heard anything of the Clutter murders prior to reading this book, the experience of reading it was intense, gripping, and suspenseful from beginning to end. Capote, with his impartial writing style, relayed facts and details in such a way as to give a complete character illustration of everyone involved: from each of the Clutters, t
jessica
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as a massive bookworm and true crime enthusiast, i have no explanation for why its taken me so long to read this. maybe its because i prefer my true crime stories in the form of documentaries and podcasts. regardless, i was super excited to finally pick up the book that is considered the first true crime novel and pioneered the nonfiction subgenre.

what really surprised me about this was how capote didnt just stick to the crime and the trial. the novel-like prose explores the familys life, the c
Matthew
This book is one of the first, if not the first, true crime novel. According to Wikipedia, only Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders has sold more copies in the True Crime category than In Cold Blood. While true crime fans might read this today and think that it sounds like your basic true crime story, at the time it was groundbreaking to detail a crime in this much detail and in a format as big as a novel.

One of the things it appears that this novel set the precedence for, and t
Lyn
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote was described by its author as a non-fiction novel.

The novel was first published in 1965 and at the time this style of writing, perhaps even the template for a new genre, was fresh and new and bold. Almost 50 years later and the disturbing images are as fresh, vibrant and malevolent as when the ink was wet.

The style of writing has no doubt inspired generations of writers since, but their imitation has done little to diminish the power of Capote’s work. Whether it
Ahmad Sharabiani
In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
This article is about the book by Truman Capote. In Cold Blood is a non-fiction novel by American author Truman Capote, first published in 1966; it details the 1959 murders of four members of the Herbert Clutter family in the small farming community of Holcomb, Kansas. When Capote learned of the quadruple murder, before the killers were captured, he decided to travel to Kansas and write about the crime. He was accompanied by his childhood friend and fellow author Harp
Stephen
emerson-1v2

PART 1: STEVE’S REVIEW

4.0 to 4.5 stars. Written over a period of 7 years and published in 1966, this novel, while not technically the first “true crime” non-fiction novel, is credited (correctly) with establishing the genre and being the progenitor of today's true crime novel. I would certainly agree that most of the other true crime novels that I have read followed almost the exact "blue print" laid out by Capote in this book. That is quite a testament to the technical excellence of this no
JEN A
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I know this book is considered a masterpiece. I know that I’m supposed to love it and be touched by its revolutionary take on the True crime genre but for some reason I just kept falling asleep while reading it.

The novel addresses many key points about crime in the late 50s, about our justice system, about the pros and cons of capital punishment. I just got a little lost in all the minutia of it.

I’m glad I read the book and got a taste of Truman Capote’s work but it didn’t touched me like I th
Ginger
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, buddy-read
I thought to myself, do I need to write another review for one of the best true crime books ever written? And then I thought, yeah, you do. You’ve written reviews on terrible, stupid and boring books and a book this good, it definitely deserves another one. This is the best story about true crime that I have ever read. Hands down.

After painting a peaceful scene in the Midwest plains of America, evil makes it's presence felt. This is how the book starts and Truman Capote’s writing had my blood ch
Brandice
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Cold Blood is a non-fiction recount about the murder of the Clutter family in Holcomb, Kansas on a November night in 1959. Admittedly, I knew very little of the story prior to reading this book, as this took place well before my time, nearly 30 years before I was born. This is the first Capote book I’ve read and despite the somber subject, I found it to be an engaging read.

It’s impressive that Capote was able to reconstruct the story, background and investigation with the level of detail pro
emma
I do not, as I have said many a time, feel things very often. I am just shy of being a sociopathic monster, mainly because I consider myself to be way too cute and charming for that. (Except sociopaths are capable of charm...huh. Back to the drawing board.)

Anyway. Even in my actual, real life, I try to experience emotions as infrequently as possible. This is only truer for the books I read.

In Cold Blood is a true crime narrative detailing the crime, investigation, and trial related to the murder
Jason
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is clear from reading In Cold Blood that not only is Philip Seymour Hoffman an excellent writer, but he is also an in-depth researcher. Every line in this book is painstakingly detailed and therein, as they say, is the devil. Well, the devil had me hooked from start to finish.

Beginning with a day-in-the-life of the Clutter family shortly before four of its members were slain, Mr. Hoffman presents the real-life tale of the murders (as well as its aftermath) in a somewhat nonlinear fashion, ski
Michael
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favorites, 2017
A sprawling, unflinching look into a grisly small-town murder motivated by greed and enabled by an astounding indifference to human suffering, written in arresting prose that fully renders the psychology of the perpetrators and victims alike.
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
This book is another example of why I’m not all that interested in nonfiction, or maybe it’s just true crime in general. The writing was stellar, the characterization was well done, the scenes were vividly captured, and the dialog was spot-on. Yet this story somehow failed to captivate me. In fact, it took me nearly the same amount of time to read Stephen King’s kitten squisher of a novel The Stand as it did this book, which is roughly ¼ the size.

At first glance, there are only a few things I c
Reev Robledo
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Capote paints perfect pictures of every character. You can almost feel them breathing right beside you. Their thoughts, their mannerisms, their physique, their psyche, etc. Bravo.

He painstakingly describes every detail—with thousands of commas and dashes preceding thousands of commas and dashes—his keen sense of observation (and exaggeration) is both impressive and tiring at the same time. I felt that Truman probably held the details of every interview close to his heart hence a lot of unnecessa
Jason
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Within 10 minutes of finishing In Cold Blood you'll be on the internet searching for pictures of the killers and victims of this real world multiple-slaying narrated brilliantly by Truman Capote. The photos are there, and like a voyeur, you'll be drawn, captivated, needing to see the mug shots, the murdered family, the courtroom stills, the crime scene, each room that held a body with a head blown open like a busted melon.

Capote breathes such realism into the characters that all you'll need to m
Greta
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The real crime nonfiction-novel

The murder of the Clutter family in 1959

"In Cold Blood" reconstructs the murder of the Clutter family in 1959 as a nonfiction- novel. Truman Capote's study of the killings and subsequent investigation explores the circumstances surrounding the murder and the effect it had on those involved and the citizens of the town. At the centre are the amoral killers Perry Smith and Dick Hickcock, who are shown to be reprehensible yet entirely and frighteningly human.

The mu
Lucy Langford
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between 3.5-4****.

”I thought that Mr. Clutter was a very nice gentleman. I thought so right up to the moment that I cut his throat.”

This is one of Capote’s most famous works. The non-fiction, true crime account, of the quadruple murder of the Clutter Family in the small town of Garden City, in Holcomb, Kansas. This book gives a comprehensive account of the investigation of the slaying of this family.

Capote compiled over 8,000 pages of notes, along with interviews of those who were part of the in
Duane
With all the commonplace violence we are faced with today, bombarded constantly by a 24/7 news cycle, portrayals of violence in movies, video games, etc., it's easy to see why there may be a level of indifference, even apathy toward the problem. But occasionally a crime is committed that rocks us to the core; a crime so senseless, so brutal, that it defies explanation. This murder of the Clutter family in Holcomb Kansas in 1959 is just such a crime. Senseless: they stole less than 50 dollars. Br ...more
Bionic Jean
As an English reader I had not heard of the Clutter massacre, and all I knew about Truman Capote was his novel "Breakfast at Tiffany's". It took a while before I recognised this novel as truly great. The 1950's domesticity did not appeal to me. It seemed alien, claustrophobic, gender-specific and rather dull. But after a while I realised the genius in describing the setting of this time and place to the minutest detail.

The "New York Times" calls In Cold Blood

"The best documentary account of an
Darwin8u
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I thought he was a very nice gentleman. Soft-spoken. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat."
- Truman Capote, In Cold Blood

description

I'm not sure why I waited so long to sit down and read this novel. I've read and enjoyed Other Voices, Other Rooms and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Perhaps, it is just that the novel wasn't very, well, novel. Without having read it I felt I already knew it. I was surrounded by New Nonfiction inspired by Truman Capote's 1966 book (originally published serially in th
Jilly
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, non-fiction
Every once in a while I feel the need to get a couple of IQ points back by reading something that is considered a "classic" or won prizes or whatever.

So, this book is based on a real murder that happened way back in the 1950's. A family was killed in a small town in Kansas and it was a big deal. Not like these days. We hardly flinch anymore when the weekly killing spree is on the news. Truman Capote was super obsessed with this case and took his buddy, Harper Lee, with him to Kansas where they i
Diane
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime, classics
I think this is the third time I've read this true-crime novel: first time was in high school, and the second was after I moved to Kansas City, but both of those times were pre-Goodreads.

This third time happened to be the most enlightening one, as it followed a reading of "Furious Hours" by Casey Cep, which described how critical Harper Lee was to the reporting of Capote's book. This meant I read "In Cold Blood" with a more critical eye, and spent more time questioning Capote's descriptions and
Club de Lectura V...: Lectura Septiembre. Novela Negra: A sangre fría Truman Capote 12 27 Apr 10, 2020 10:29PM
In Cold Blood 1 13 Mar 15, 2020 05:27PM
The Well-Read Wom...: In Cold Blood 7 17 Feb 19, 2020 08:49PM
Crime fiction. Serial killer? Murder mystery 2 17 Feb 09, 2020 07:16PM
Old Books, New Re...: September 2019 Book Discussion PART IV: Sept 22-30 9 39 Dec 23, 2019 03:46PM

• The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
  • Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
  • Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster
  • Into the Wild
  • Fatal Vision
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
  • And Then There Were None
  • The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
  • I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
  • Gone Girl
  • The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1)
  • The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy: The Shocking Inside Story
  • The Godfather
  • On the Road
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • Small Sacrifices
  • Columbine
Truman Capote was an American writer whose non-fiction, stories, novels and plays are recognised literary classics, including the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958) and In Cold Blood (1965), which he labeled a "non-fiction novel." At least 20 films and TV dramas have been produced from Capote novels, stories and screenplays.

He was born as Truman Streckfus Persons to a salesman Archulus Persons

Articles featuring this book

If a true crime audiobook is your idea of the perfect listen, then this post is for you. True crime has been enjoying something o...
“The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call “out there.” 439 likes
“It is no shame to have a dirty face- the shame comes when you keep it dirty.” 173 likes