Start by marking “The World's Great Speeches” as Want to Read:
The World's Great Speeches

The World's Great Speeches

This outstanding compendium of 292 great speeches contains addresses from nearly every historical era and nation, from the formal orations of ancient Greece and the speeches of Julius Caesar, to modern-day addresses by Nelson Mandela, Ronald Regan and Václav Havel.
Among the memorable speeches included here are Pericles' funeral oration, St. Bernard's advocacy of the Second
Paperback, Large Print, Fourth Enlarged Edition, 944 pages
Published September 21st 1999 by Dover Publications (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Great Speeches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Great Speeches

Tortla
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-guidance
Okay so I haven't read all these speeches. But I remember doing a presentation of Red Jacket's speech and thinking that it was a very eloquent attack on whitey. Which I'm all for. Because Manifest Destiny was stupid, and white people needed to be told to stop it (even if they didn't listen). Also, I think I read a few other ones and thought they were interesting. I should probably (re-)read this if I actually want to review it.
Em
Jul 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Compilation of some of the greatest oratory gems from ancient Greece to WWII. It sucks that most of the speeches are from West Europe and United States. Not a lot from Eastern Europe...or the rest of the world for that matter. So it's not complete, but it definitely is entertaining to flip through. The words as they spoke them; it definitely has a weight to it.
James
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: politics, history
I really liked this collection of Speeches and still do, but was disappointed to find recently that at least one was edited heavily. Whole paragraphs were taken out of the Eugene Debs speech from 1919. I am currently reading another book that contained the whole speech and they edited out some really good stuff. Now I wonder how much all the other speeches were edited.
subrahmanyam p v b
I picked some 30 of 292 speeches.. brief but powerful...

From Patrick Henry's Give me freedom or Give me Death, To MLK's I have a dream, i really loved reading them all.

To revisit again and read others when I can again.. For now marking it read.
Brian
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best collection I've ever read and also not verbatim, which is just a cop-out. I listened to Martin Luther King's speech and read along and there were differences. That was not professional; I could have done a better job.

Still, some broad stuff that I am glad to have read.
Jason Owen
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some great words by some great men, though they may not have known it at the time.
Stratos
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Σπουδαίο βιβλίο. Οποιος γνωρίζει Αγγλικά να το πάρει, είναι πραγματικά μια όαση στην πλημμύρα των βιβλίων
Robert
Mar 15, 2012
Benazir
Aug 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History
  • Lend Me Your Ears: Great Speeches in History
  • Great Love Poems
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • On Golden Pond
  • Dracula's Heir (Interactive Mysteries)
  • Windcatcher
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered