Start by marking “The Ascent Of Rum Doodle” as Want to Read:
The Ascent Of Rum Doodle

The Ascent Of Rum Doodle

First published in 1956, The Ascent of Rum Doodle quickly became established as a mountaineering classic. As an outrageously funny spoof about the ascent of a 40,000-and-a-half-foot peak, many thought it inspired by the 1953 conquest of Everest. But Bowman had drawn on the flavour and tone of earlier adventures, of Bill Tilman and his 1937 account of the Nandi Devi expedit ...more
Published October 4th 2001 by Pimlico (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Ascent Of Rum Doodle, please sign up.
Ellen (Elf TajMuttHall) Finch Yes! Appropriate for the whole family. Has been a family favorite since we were young.

Start your review of The Ascent Of Rum Doodle
Jogle
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
For reasons associated with but not limited to having no friends, I arrived one night alone and at very short notice in Kathmandu. The prehistoric taxi from the airport was assembled from many previously fossilised taxis, and after only a few hundred exhilarating yards, violently disassembled on unsurprisingly crashing into what I assumed was the target motorcycle. The ensuing melee moved almost seamlessly into my trek on foot, carrying a rucksack (passably similar to an American ‘backpack’) con ...more
Rhys
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books
The second funniest work of fiction I have ever read... It's a good example of British surrealism. The British never really regarded surrealism as a serious artform and most examples of British surrealism are in fact strange comedies with no especial interest in the concerns of the original Surrealists (Freudian psychology, automatic writing, unpalatable honesty regarding sexual desires, etc).

This novel stands comparison with *Three Men in a Boat* or *Diary of a Nobody* but it's much
Tiago Vitória
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mountaineers
I have to be really honest about this book. I couldn't enjoy it. To be honest, Bowman's style of writing it is really tiring and I was often drifting with my focus on the book. Although I have to say that's probably my problem and not Bowman's. As a matter of fact his writing is surprisingly good and very well polished. What I did not like about the book it's the fact that almost every part of it seems like a sitcom, everything is happening and nothing seems to happen. The characters are dull an ...more
Ellinor
The Ascent of Rum Doodle is a parody on mountaineers and as with all parodies there are people who love them and others who really don't see anything in them. I'm a bit in the middle of these two. The writing was over the top and there were lots of funny paragraphs - I just didn't laugh as much as I had hoped. My expectations were very high, especially because Bill Bryson in the foreword calls this the funniest book he ever read. It is funny, just not as funny as I thought. Sometimes it was also ...more
Jamie
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely hilarious, giggled like a schoolgirl all the way through. I'm off to meditate on the responsibilities of leadership...
Wendy
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ascent of Rum Doodle is a jaunty parody of inept mountaineers, who couldn’t organise a raffle at a village fete let alone master the 40,000 (and a half) ft climb to the peak of ‘Rum Doodle’.

These ‘professionals’ have the most ironic surnames like Burley, who was was anything but as he was out of sorts after failing to acclimatise to any step of their journey, the team’s medical assistance was provided by a Dr Prone who contracted everything from mumps to malaria, while Constant unint
Gary Hoffman
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor
An overlooked classic. Read it in a single sitting. Extremely silly, in a good way, and often funny enough to bring tears.
Lisa
As someone who has paged through the expedition diaries of more than one Victorian explorer, I found a lot to like about The Ascent of Rum Doodle, a satire of those very types of people and their writing. But even if you haven’t has the pleasure of reading much in that genre, you may still find something to like within.

Led by Binder, a man desperate to be the type of leader he’s read about but lacking any insight into himself and others and trying to find it by constantly questioning everyo
Eric
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of farcical humor
Shelves: humor, audiobooks
I added this book to my to-read shelf after reading this blog post. After reading it, I fully endorse it as worthy of adding to your to-read shelf as well.

The premise is straightforward. Binder -- who is, to give a modern equivalent, very similar to Michael Scott from The Office -- is leading an expedition to ascend to the top of the Rum Doodle mountain peak. His companions include a translator that appears to not know the native language, a doctor who remains sick with various maladies, a nav
Antonomasia
A classic British comic novel about a shambolic Himalayan mountaineering expedition. Perhaps a forgotten classic - it's been familiar to me for a long time and I didn't know it wasn't well-known until I read Bill Bryson's introduction. He compares it with Diary of a Nobody - the narrator is similarly incompetent, though perhaps marginally less pompous. (There's an awful lot happening, so less time to be so.) There's also a touch of Goonish / Pythonesque surrealism and a dash of Ealing charm. And quite a lot of ...more
Alistair
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rum Doodle is one of the funniest, silliest (in the best sense!) books I've ever read. Bill Bryson's commendation on the cover is spot on: "One of the funniest books you will ever read." A spoof of the mountaineering community in the early 20th century, Bowman's deadpan style of delivery is a sheer delight. Take just one passage; one of the climbers has had a fixation with fiancees ever since a child(!?) To distract his attention his parents give him a catapult. "Except for the additional expens ...more
Ilona
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, gave-up-on, humour
I think Bill Bryson is one of the funniest authors out there. Bill Bryson thinks Rum Doodle is one of the funniest books out there. Therefore, I should find Rum Doodle extremely funny, right?

Nope.

That was my reasoning when I picked the book up from the library, but no. I could see where the humour was, for sure. I smiled regularly for the first two or three chapters. I probably would have kept smiling if I'd kept reading, but the story didn't grip me, and the humour wasn'
Tweedledum
I love the serendipity of books. 1 month ago I discover this obscure and forgotten spoof on my bibliophilic son's ever growing bookshelves. Today I find a reference to it in another book I am reading... !

In this age of political correctness and sensitivities to all kinds of imagined slights The Ascent of Rum Doodle could never be written.for this reason alone it deserves to be rediscovered and celebrated. Thank God for a time when people could see the funny side of things without taking offence
JOYCE GODSEY
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-funny-books
I am delighted to find that after 37 years as a used bookseller, i can still discover a new favorite book and fall in love. Though I am slightly embarrassed that I am only discovering Rum Doodle NOW, but perhaps books come along in your life just when you need them. The Ascent of Rum Doodle can only be described as a Good Show epic running on all cylinders. The conquering of a mountain has never and will never be this funny. Give this book to someone whose never ending devotion you wan to earn, ...more
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best comic novels I have ever read. Extremely well observed and deserves to be thought of as one of the true classics of comic literature along with P.G.Wodehouse. I particularly loved the leader of the expedition who exemplifies the stereotype of the optimistic but not at all worldly British ex-public schoolboy.
Danita L
LOVE IT! One of the best and funniest books I've ever read. I'd recommend it to everyone who loves a good spoof. My first reaction was that I needed to buy a copy so I could grab it and start reading again anytime I wanted.
Stevyn Colgan
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very British and very funny. A lovely gentle humour runs throughout much in the vein of 'Diary of a Nobody' and 'Three Men in a Boat'; two other books of which I am inordinately fond. A great read.

I want to watch 'Ripping Yarns' again now.
Mimi
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Loaned to me by a friend who said, "this book is very funny." I couldn't agree with the assessment more. It was a good treadmill read, although I nearly fell off a couple of times.
Bev
Bill Bryson introduces the 2001 edition of W. E. Bowman's The Ascent of Rum Doodle (orig. pub. 1956) as "one of the funniest books you will ever read." He gives us great expectations of the delights that await us as we read Bowman's parody of the great mountain-climbing expeditions of the early 20th Century. "Binder" (as our narrator is code-named for the group's walkie-talkie usage) is the leader of this grand adventure and tells us the story of the eight brave men and 3,000 Yogistani porters who tac ...more
Henry
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd already read 'The Ascent of Rum Doodle' so this was very much to read 'The Cruise of the talking Fish' and complete my Bowman experience. It didn't disappoint. Although not as accomplished as Rum Doodle and far more fantastical in its ideas, the comedy was just as sharp and amusing and the characters extreme, albeit half of them were animal able to communicate with humans. It has made me realise that this is the Bowman book I need a copy of as opposed to Rum Doodle on its own.
A.K.
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a farcical story of a group of "climbers" setting out to tackle the daunting (and imaginary) summit of Rum Doodle. It's told in first person by a decidedly non-omniscient narrator who observes the laziness and bickering of his climbing team with unfailingly naive goodwill. I enjoyed the dry, subtle humor--laugh-out-loud in many places. A bit slow at times, but all-in-all a funny read. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars if I had the option, but it deserves to be rounded up rather than down.
Prateek Malhotra
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommending it for people interested in:-
Mountain climbing, ropes, crevasses, porters, boys, skunks, gurgles, warples, compasses, thermometers, Rum Doodle, North Doodle, teamwork, champagne, and, of course, the thrill of achieving something together(along with porters that are beyond praise).

Hilarious and succinct; thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Joe
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nepal
You will find this book promnently on the front shelf of every bookstore in Thamel, the neighborhood of Kathmandu where all the mountaineers stay when in town, going to- or coming-back. Wonderful parody.
Quail75
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! Don’t read in a public place or others will think you are crazy!! Had to put the book down several times to wipe my eyes from laughing so hard I was crying!
Ben
Jul 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor
Not that funny, and I think the satire, of mountaineering and mountaineering books, completely misses the mark. It could have been so much better.
Wilde Sky
A humorous account of a mountaineering expedition.

I found this book a bit too silly.

Overall rating 2.5.

Reading time around two hours.
Eldon.shirkley
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very funny mock-heroic narrative of the first ascent of the highest peak in the Himalayas: The successful climber was carried to the summit by the "splendid" sherpas. Bestowing of a knighthood might have been too obvious and Bowman wisely omits it.
June Louise
"We could now number ourselves amongst those who had trod the ultimate heights and invaded nature's last stronghold against the advancing spirit of man.

I tried to remember all I had read about climbing at such heights. I took one step, then waited for ten minutes. This, I understood, was essential; our predecessors were unanimous about it: one step, then ten minutes' rest, or seven in an emergency. I found it more difficult than I had anticipated. To remain in one position for ten minutes was n
Nikki
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is difficult to sustain parody through the length of a novel, even a short (171 pages) one such as The Ascent of Rum Doodle. Yet W. E. Bowman's subtle humor seldom palls and indeed the book grows funnier the further one reads.
The Ascent of Rum Doodle purports to be a report of a British mountain-climbing expedition, and the tone is perfect. Although it was published not long after the conquest of Everest by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, it is said to have been inspired by an earlier account of an
Lee Penney
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
At 40,000-and-a-half-feet, Rum Doodle is the highest peak in the world and a team of experienced climbers is assembled at the request of Sir Hugeley Havering with the aim of reaching the summit. The story of their expedition, told by the team’s leader, is what forms the basis of the book.

As you can tell, this is a parody, mocking the derring-do and heroic sacrifice journaled in many expedition diaries, especially in the early part of the twentieth century.

The book apparen
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions 6 218 Oct 23, 2018 06:42PM

• The Diary of a Nobody
  • La menace (Bergères Guerrières #2)
  • The Undercover Scientist: Investigating The Mishaps Of Everyday Life
  • Fremd
  • The Restraint of Beasts
  • A Winter Book
  • Glaxo
  • Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1)
  • The Diary of a Bookseller
  • Puckoon
  • Queen Lucia
  • The Time Traveller's Guide to Restoration Britain: Life in the Age of Samuel Pepys, Isaac Newton and The Great Fire of London
  • Uncle Fred in the Springtime
  • The Black Sheep
  • Full Moon (Blandings Castle, #7)
  • Emil und die Detektive
  • Under the Garden
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
William Ernest Bowman