Start by marking “The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)” as Want to Read:
The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)

The King's Bishop (Owen Archer #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,155 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A snowy March, 1367, and King Edward is impatient. He wants his privy councillor, William of Wykeham, confirmed as Bishop of Winchester, but Pope Urban V is stalling, deterred by the man's wealth and political ambition. Thus Owen Archer finds himself heading a deputation from York to Fountains Abbey to try to win support for Wykeham from the powerful Cistercian abbots. Ign ...more
Published 1996 by Mandarin

To ask other readers questions about The King's Bishop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Bishop

Lane
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the first four volumes.
Pope and Kind Edward II disagree about pluralism: allowing one man to hold many state and church offices at once. King wants to make a rich pluralist, Wm of Wykeham, the next Bishop of Winchester (and then Chancellor).

Owen Archer, wife Lucia
Ned Townley - loves Mary, aid in waiting to Alice Perrers, the King's common mistress.
Alice covertly marries Wyndesore, a bad guy, to "protest" herself from the King's eventual abandonment.
Mary and Daniel were murde
Werehare
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
4/10

Ambientazione gradevole e ben ricostruita per un giallo tutto sommato mediocre, con una soluzione per niente ad effetto e scritto in modo passabile. Gradevole, pur se non brillante, il protagonista ma insipidi e già sentiti tutti gli altri personaggi. Terribili la ripetizione ad libitum degli "occhi da gatta" di Alice Perrers, un paio di vigole tra soggetto e verbo (spesso le virgole sono messe con poco criterio) e il personaggio che parla di sé in terza persona.
MBP
I'm really enjoying this series - they seem to be well researched (love the inclusion of maps and an author's note). The growth of the series characters is interesting to follow, as some evolve in unexpected ways. The only thing that really annoyed me about this book was the character of Ned Townley - hard to see why he would be a friend of Owen's.
Tomgirl deni
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this series as all characters are well rounded and I love reading about old Windsor and York which are both familiar to me now. One of three I've found in my mother in laws collection.
Vickie
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just love this series.
ghostlibrarian
Mystery in the middle ages. I loved these books.
Georg
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi
Candace Robbs Owen Archer-serie bliver bedre og bedre. Det fjerde middelaldermysterium: En brik i kongens spil har et snedigt udtænkt plot med næsten alle middelalderens motiver: politik og storpolitik, ægteskab og utroskab, religion, kærlighed osv. Anbefales varmt.
Cindy
Welshman Owen Archer lost an eye during the war between England and France. The whole story is recounted at least once in every book, although sometimes rather briefly. A one-eyed archer isn’t very effective, so he was offered a position as a spy for John Thoresby, Lord Chancellor of England and Archbishop of York. Archer accepts the job, not realizing that he has forged a relationship which will send him all over the country and determine the course of his future.

Archer’s disability seems to ha
Patsyann
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epilogue
This book is about medieval court politics. No different from politics of any country at any time. Lots of murders in the politics of this court - and lots of suspects -and lots of secrets.
Owen and Lucie's family life is shown in this book. Lucie is more involved in the investigations. They discuss cases - they work together in obtaining the answer to the mystery. But in this book, Owen and Lucie are not the only ones working on finding answers, and Owen and Lucie are not on every page of the b
Rachael Hewison
I came across this book, not realising it was the fourth in a series. Although I was unfamiliar with the characters, it was easy to get into and I did not need to read any of the former books to know what was going on.
Robb uses a vast array of characters, ranging from King Edward, to Archbishops to shepherds in the moors. This was perfect for creating a murder mystery as the killer could literally be anyone. At times it did feel somewhat overwhelming trying to remember who was who (William of Wy
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"The King's Bishop" is part of the Owen Archer series by Candace Robb. Owen Archer is one of my favorite fictional characters. This one-eyed former archer turned apothecary apprentice lives in the 1300's in England. He is also a spy for the archbishop of York and as such finds himself on many adventures, facing peril and intrigue alike while unraveling the mysteries that affect the archbishop and his position both in the church and at the Royal court.

In this installment of the series Owen's frie
Jeanne
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandy
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In winter of 1367 Owen Archer is called upon to investigate his own friend Ned who has fallen in love with a servent of Alice Perrers, mistress of the King. Ned is accused of killing a page in the household of Sir William of Wyndesore after the two exchanged words, but he swears that he did not do the crime. It seems the crime might hit close to the throne and the Archbishop would lkie nothing better than to see Mistress Alice removed from court, but how to investigate without arrising the ire o ...more
Argum
Owen's friend Ned has finally fallen in love - with one of the ladies of the King's Mistress. She had been in company with a young page and Ned is jealous so he threatens the young man. He of course ends up dead. Then so does the girl. Ned is caught in a web of suspicion from all angles and behaves stupidly making even Owen question him. Meanwhile the Archbishop is trying to help his foe get a bishopric because the King wishes it. The problems soon overlap.
Kris

Such an IMPROVEMENT over the previous book, it's like it was written by a whole different person. Robb twines the real life events of courtly intrigue and politics in the last ten years of Edward III's reign with a mystery of murder and conspiracy. Sadly not much has changed in 700 years, it's still all about whose penis was in who and when. The book is well written and moves along nicely, the characters are realistic for their time period and the setting is believably presented.
Siria
Rather pedestrian—the prose never rises above workmanlike, and while Robb resists the temptation to tie up all the loose ends at the novel's conclusion, there's no real tension to the plot. The info dumps about medieval history weren't the worst I've ever seen, but atmosphere and context could have been more elegantly provided.
Susan
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, series
As with all this series, I enjoyed this simple little historical mystery involving Owen Archer and his family and friends. His wife Lucie is not as prominent in this book as in some; but Owen's friend Ned Townley finds himself in a huge amount of trouble, and Owen has to help sort it all out. The supporting character Magda continues to be one of my favorites, and is full of surprises here.
Ailish
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I shouldn't have started with no 4 in the series, but reading this book felt like reading Cadfael minus Cadfael. Apart from Owen Archer and his family, there are not many attractive characters in this untidy medieval murder mystery set amongst court intrigues and scheming clergy.
JennanneJ
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, london
Picked this up as a light read for Christmas-time. The mystery did drag on a bit. I wasn't very pulled in, it took me a week to read- even on vacation! There were quite a few characters and I didn't feel that the resolution was very satisfactory.
Mfred
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find all of the Owen Archer books just superb. I'm not a huge fan of the mystery genre, but the way Robb writes these characters, the depth of historical knowledge she can fit into a story -- but never bogs down the story! -- makes these books great. I heartily recommend.
Awallens
this book was Ok, though I found the plot really complex. Sometimes I love complex mysteries and other times I am hoping for an easier mystery and don't like them so much. Undoubtedly I'll read this book again when I'm in a more complex frame of mind and enjoy it.
Booknblues
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4th Book
This series set during Edward II reign in the 14th century, feature the Welsh, former Archer, Owen Archer who serves the archbishop of York by performing various tasks for him.

In this one he finds he must defend a friend on a murder charge.
Susan
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't like mysteries, that's what it really comes down to. This series is set in medieval England, which is great, but yeah, I don't really like mysteries. The character development just doesn't live up to my standards.
Kathy
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit to being highly distracted while reading this one, so if I am to pursue any others in the series I will have to read while alone and not otherwise busily occupied. Can't say I liked this one.
Margareth8537
Candace Robb was back to form with this story of Owen Archer, his friends and his family
Cece
This series depends on being read in order, as the characters and their interrelationships grow from book 1 on.
Pippii
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still amazing ♥
Mhd
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as others in this series...little action / seems repetitive. Very little with Lucie.
Feodora
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, crime, read-2013
I had to update my knowledge about the reign of Eduard III but it was a delight to read.
Nice plot, well woben net of history and fiction.
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 2 6 Aug 06, 2014 01:57PM
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Heretic's Apprentice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #16)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)

My novels are inspired by my study of the late Middle Ages in Northern Europe. My 3 mystery series feature medieval sleuths: the Kate Clifford mysteries, set in York at the cusp of the 15th c, feature a strong, independent widow forged on the warring northern marches. The Owen Archer mysteries are set in England and Wales in the late 14th century. The Margaret Kerr mysteries in Scotland in the lat
More about Candace Robb...

Owen Archer (10 books)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)