Start by marking “Below” as Want to Read:
Below

Below

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A boy and his action figure explore a secret world below the stairs

Jack and his action figure, Guy, have many adventures together, and the tall, narrow staircase in Jack's house provides the perfect setting. Jack and Guy climb mountains, visit cities, and explore forests. But one day Guy falls down a hole in the stairs and it's up to Jack to rescue him. What is going on be
Published April 4th 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Below

Agne
3.5 out of 5
Crews' simple storyline and clever illustrations of photo-collage and line drawings perfectly capture the magic and excitement of make-believe:

Such an endearing celebration of a child's imagination!
Jess
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
June 2017 - Ben was excited about this one as soon as he saw the crane on the cover, and it totally hit a sweet spot, matching where he is with imaginative play. This is one that we're reading over and over.
Nate
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
We just found this really great book when we stopped by the library tonight. My four-year-old son loves it already and so do I. Nathaniel looked through the book before I read it to him and was already mesmerized by the story, just from the pictures. It's about a young boy who loves to have adventures with his action figure "Guy." They play together on a tall, narrow staircase that becomes mountains, and forests, and cities...The pictures are done in a photo-collage style and are so fun to look ...more
Rani
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jack and his action figure Guy have their own adventure!
Kianna Buckner
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Below" by Nina Crews was an excellent book. A little boy has a Lego guy that he plays with on his staircase. The Lego guy feel in a whole one day and no one could help him get it out. He got his construction toys and got the guy out.

I loved how the author made this story. I think little boys ages 4-7 would love this book and enjoy reading it because I know they might relate to this with their legos and construction toys.

The illustrations were my favorite part about the book. Some of pages wer
Michelle McBeth
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a story about Jack who has a toy figure named Guy. They play together and have many adventures. One day Guy falls into a hole by accident. Jack imagines what could be happening with Guy down below. Finally, Jack sets up a toy rescue team and saves Guy.

This book is illustrated with a mix of photographs, photos on top of photos and drawings. The drawings and faded photos depict Jack's imagination. I like this because you can tell the difference between what is real and what is his imaginat
Camille
The Crews family make really photo-picture books and this one might be my favorite. Below is the story of Jack a boy and his toy figurine, Guy, who falls down a hole while they're playing together. Jack rescues his friend, but after some thought about what Guy might be going through. I like books that offer pauses for thought, and this one does it well, illustrating Jack's imagination's and all the possibilities of below. Great for toddler and preschool storytimes, but probably too simple for ol ...more
mlb
I have recently discovered this author and enjoy her work on many levels. Her plot is very appealing to my boys, who are into adventures like the main character imagines. I appreciated the way photographs and drawings/paintings were integrated to capture the world through Jack's eyes. I placed this on the MC shelf because the main character is from a mixed race family and because it was written by an African American woman. It is a culture generic book any imaginative child could relate to.
Gail Barge
I really enjoyed this short book. The illustrations are so interesting and I could see young students really enjoying the photographs. I would use this book to show an interesting way to write and illustrate to my students. This would also lend itself nicely to writing about our favorite toys and what happens when we leave the room (kinda of like Toy Story). I think that would be a fun topic for students to write on and would really stretch their imaginations.
elissa
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm currenlt in love with this book nearly as much as my 20 month old son. This books just nails it. Construction equipment, toys, photographs of people in their homes...it seems there are countless things for my burgeoning speaker to talk about. Unlike most books for the very young, this story contains a climax and it's one my toddler understands completely. A toy that is out of reach! Highly recommend this book.
Susan
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children, parents, librarians, teachers
This is a wonderful book - Crews perfectly captures the imagination of a child, the frustration of trying to get others to cooperate, the brave and brilliant way a child will come to his own rescue.

This book has been a tremendous hit in storytimes. And my lovely friend, Mary, went to an author reading and got Nina Crews to sign copies for Christmas gifts - a true treat.
Elizabeth
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: three year olds
Shelves: read-aloud
I think this picture book mixes photorealism and painting successfully (as opposed to Knuffle Bunny) because the division makes sense: photography represents the every day, and the fanciful drawings dramatize the mythic unknown (also known as what lies beneath the stairs.) Plus, a mixed-race family!
Ebookwormy1
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-preschool
My son loves this unique book that uses overlayed photographs and drawings over photographs to portray the adventures of "Jack and Guy". In fact, my son calls the book "Jack and Guy". Adorable little story about little boy play, ingenuity, loyalty and adventure. Highly recommended.
Karen
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
It's fun to start reading books from a little boys perspective. This was a good one!
Karen
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the story, and I loved the illustrations that did not feature real people. I felt the "real people" photos weakened and dated the illustrations.
Jen
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
cute story told with mixed media.
Victoria
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful use of photography and collage. Great story of a child's imagination.
Charity
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Both kiddos love this book
Tracie
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
She has a new one, too, called Sky-High Guy. Imaginative and fun.
Emmy
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
i like how she superimposed his imagination onto real pictures.

Boy i really am admiring how simply people can put a book together. i wanna do it too!!
Christine
Fun to see little boy in hero role for rescuing his action figure. A bit scary when figure falls into dark space under stairs.
Debra
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the contrast of photographs to line /cartoonish type drawings.
kelly
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-at-heart
This book reminded me of my childhood...My brother and I playing with our toys on the stairs in our Chicago 2-flat.
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Hero
May 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nina Crews is a well known author and an illustrator children's books. She currently lives in Brooklyn, NY.
More about Nina Crews...