Start by marking “The Prey (The Hunt, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Prey (The Hunt, #2)

The Prey

(The Hunt #2)

For Gene and the remaining humans—or hepers—death is just a heartbeat away. On the run and hunted by society, they must find a way to survive in The Vast... and avoid the hungry predators tracking them in the dark. But they’re not the only things following Gene. He’s haunted by the girl he left behind and his burgeoning feelings for Sissy, the human girl at his side.

When t
Paperback, Australian Edition, 336 pages
Published February 1st 2013 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published January 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Prey, please sign up.
Quartknee You have to read the rest of the series to find out! I <3 Ashley June!
Tina Willis In my opinion it depends on the child. But beware that there is mention of blood and animalistic/vampirish behavior.

Katy
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit part of the reason why I liked The Hunt so much was because it was bizarre different (I know, I'm weird like that). The hepers were the minority living among the duskers, and the bizarreness - like the sticking their elbows into each others' armpits or the wrist scratching - made it unique, and I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't any weirdness in this book.

Taking those things out of the book made The Prey much a like any other dystopian - one that follows the general storyline of a wor
Kristy
Read along with BBP, March 2013.

I'm afraid a lot of people will read The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) by Andrew Fukuda and think it is just too weird, resulting in them not giving this one a chance. This Second book was much more story-oriented, a lot of the oddities sort of take a back seat (they are still there, but maybe just not as much of a major player). I very much so enjoyed this one.
There were a few predictable moments, but for the most part I was constantly being suprised. This was fast-paced and action packed, a real adventure boo
Rani Simpson
Sep 08, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-book-club
Um...I'm want to see ashley June get rescued! How can he fall for another girl when Ashley June risked her life for him in a huge way, and is left rotting in a hole!! Idk, I want to read this sequel, but the first book was quit a bit laborious in the middle!! I more than likely will read it, but I will be highly upset of he just let's Ashley June die or something.
Mitch
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Prey is everything I expected from the sequel to The Hunt. I know that sounds like a positive reaction and I could talk about how all my expectations were met, but that's just my problem - I anticipated everything. Thinking back, I really liked The Hunt because it's a survival story centered around a guy in a tough situation where one wrong move meant instant death at the fangs of the vampires around him, I wasn't so concerned with the dystopian backstory, and that's why I'm mildly disappoin ...more
Vaso
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second installment was more fast paced and with more action. There were a lot of twists in the plot that kept me hooked. Can't wait to see how this is going to end...
Natalie
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, may-2018
Στο δεύτερο μέρος της τριλογίας κλιμακώνεται η αγωνία και η δράση! Ένα βιβλίο που σε "γραπώνει" και δε σε αφήνει να ηρεμήσεις μέχρι να φτάσεις στο τέλος!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I always hope that, where I've enjoyed the first book in a series, the rest will prove to be at least as good. Andrew Fukuda's debut novel, The Hunt, while not a favorite was an enjoyable action read, a nice change of pace from my more contemplative reads. In reading The Prey, I really hoped to find more of the same, but instead it alternated between wtfery and completely predictable plot twists.

Since I like to give credit where credit is due, there are two things that I did like about The Prey.
Bonnie McDaniel
This book is a sequel to The Hunt, which I read a few months ago. The Prey definitely improved on its predecessor; in fact, it is one of the best books I have read so far this year.

The previous book introduced a dark, bloody, dystopian world, where humans are seemingly all but extinct, subsumed by a new breed: a superstrong, superfast cannibalistic "people" who will literally tear you limb from limb, eating your flesh and drinking your blood. The hero, Gene, survives by the use of a brazenly cl
Chicca Palmentieri
4 stelle e mezzo
Wolf (Alpha)
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book pretty well. I like how Sissy trusts Gene even more now, and how they become closer to each other. I like how Gene is smart and knows how to escape. I like how they get to the one place. I hate how Sissy is tortured and branded. I like how they escape and how Sissy and Gene come closer together.
Amanda
3.5

The Prey by Andrew Fukuda is the sequel to The Hunt, a book I hadn't planned on reading but once I did I was happy because it was thrilling and involved a unique and creepy world. I have been waiting on this sequel since then and it was just as good.

The Prey starts up where The Hunt left off. Gene, Sissy, Ben, David, Jacob, and Epap have escaped from the Dome and are now in the wild, trying to follow vague instructions left for them by The Scientist, Gene’s father. Each night Hunters arrive
Siobhan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn’t crazy about The Hunt, but as I brought the entire trilogy whilst on offer I decided to dive into The Prey with crossed fingers. My big issue with The Hunt was that it never quite reached the full potential, with things constantly remaining just out of reach, and I was hoping the continuation of the story would finally push us towards the good stuff.

If I’m being completely honest, I had a bit of a debate as to whether I would round this rating up or down. As it was a stronger read than t
Esther Jackson
I did not appreciate this book very much. There was an immense plot and a couple shocking plot twists that I liked, but I just didn't relate. Even though the story line was good, the writing was not something I would want to read again. I was very disappointed since I really enjoyed the first book of this series. I would not recommend unless you otherwise see fit. Anyhow, I think you should read the first book of the series, The Hunt, it was very good. Even though I did not particularly enjoy th ...more
Lex
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know! I am so weird. Cause I like the book. It really is a bit fascinating reading a different kind of vampires. Where they are not sparkly and totally ran out of humanity. Incapable of love and reason.

What I don't like was that it was not based on the first book The Hunt. Where they are in a Dome and all that crap. Well of course, from the last page of first book we know that Gene managed to escape the Heper Institute. But one might think it'll be lead back in that Institute. That's what I k
Sultanah Boraie
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing—once i finished reading the first book in the series i felt no compelling need to write a review, and the moment i finished its sequel, i knew why.

With this series, you dont realize how much is off about the first book until you read the second. And that in itself is a flaw, especially with dystopian series.
The kind of information you'd want to know being introduced to a new world is only given, in this case, in the SECOND book of the series rather than the first. I'd hate to s
Sam
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot more than the first! I don't know if it's because I listened on Audiobook instead of reading it this time, or maybe it simply was better.

I knew there was something weird going on with 'The Mission' but was still horrified to know the truth in the end. As with the first, this was so fast-paced! The first part of the book is the survivors journey to the promised land, even though it was a lot of traveling it was still exciting.

I liked how we got more background about Gene's da
Danny
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a worthy sequel!!! It was phenomenal, full of action and fast paced!
This book take a new direction than the first book which makes it so much more awesome than I had dared to hope for!
There are a lot of secrets which need to be solved and the story takes a few amazing twists and turns!
Loved Gene who is slowly getting a strong boy who deserves to be called a hero'

Loved Sissy and all the kids who survived and run away with them!

The ending again left me speechless and the cliffhange
At least I read
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, series
I'm saving my review until the girls finish because I don't want to give anything away. I will however say I liked it more than the first book. Again though I am left feeling like I don't have any answers and it is frustrating as all heck!
Zuzana Malá
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
přes půl roku rozečtené
měla jsem to dočíst dřív
konec byl boží
už aby přišel poslední díl :D

Carina Olsen
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been wanting to read The Prey ever since I finished The Hunt this May. And now I finally got the chance to do so; and I must say that it was worth the wait :) I remember loving the first book a whole lot. The writing, the plot, the characters. And I still did that. Only, I do think that the first book was better. But even so. I enjoyed this book a whole lot, and I never wanted to stop reading it, and I cannot wait for the third and final one. It will be a long wait. Because this book ends ...more
Книжни Криле
Продължаваме с вампирската дистопия на Андрю Фукуда! Днес ще говорим за „Плячката” и „Капанът” – втора и трета книга от трилогията „Ловът” (изд. „Orange Books”), чиято първа част представихме вчера. Предстои среща с оцелелите хора, които съвсем не са лъча надежда, който сме очаквали, както и неочаквани разкрития за същността и произхода на кръвопийците, които ще обърнат с главата надолу представите на Джийн за света в който живее. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле": https://knijnikrile.wordpress ...more
Sierra Abrams
The Prey by Andrew Fukuda
Book 2 in a trilogy
5/5 stars
(I tried to keep this spoiler free for those who haven't read the first book, but read at your own risk...)

Bear with me. I finished this book last night. I am STILL in shock.

Honestly, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I really genuinely loved the first book. (I rated it a little lower because I couldn't stomach some of the scenes...but really. It was BRILLIANT.) And that cliffhanger, right? Ok well this was worse.

ANDREW FUKUDA I LO
Jon
Seen At Scott Reads It

This is what you want then? I say. To be chased, to be hunted? To be their prey your whole life? Born prey, die prey? I look at them in turn. This is our chance to be more than prey.

I am now convinced that 2013 is the Year Of The Sequel. Every single sequel I have read that comes out in 2013 has been better than it's predecessor (Through The Ever Night, Asunder,The Prey, The Lives We Lost, Vortex). Notice also that all of these superior sequels are also the second book
nancy (The Ravenous Reader)
THE PREY by Andrew Fukuda was a novel that I highly anticipated reading because it's predecessor, THE HUNT was gruesome and highly addictive. I truly did not believe that any other book could be so unsettling and twisted, but I was wrong because THE PREY proved vampires are NOT the only thing to fear.

As I returned to this world of carnivorous vampires and remaining humans I am immediately thrust into the chaos that Gene and his tiny group are trying desperately to overcome. Escaping the vampires
Denisa
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, owned
So, čte se to parádně a člověk se nenudí. I když je to místy trochu průhledný. Pořád tam jsou ale hrozně nelogický věci, něco málo se sice vyjasnilo, ale pořád ne všechno a jsou tam drobnosti, který prostě logiku nemaj a nemůžou mít, řekla bych. No, na Past jsem celkem zvědavá. Třeba se vyjasní aj něco víc.

Jo a ty 4 hvězdičky jsou zatím jen orientační.
Crystal
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Well color me surprised! After really disliking the first one I really though there was no hope but WOW what a sequel!! See just goes to show sometimes you shouldn't ever give up on a series...more to come later..

Thanks Kristy for being my BBP and reading this one with me!!
Shay
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, reviewed
This sequel was really well thought out! I was impressed with the plot and how everything just unravels. Oh and of course the random twists and turns you have to navigate to finally find the truth! If you haven't read The Hunt then STOP READING!

Gene, Sissy, and the gang are still running from the vamps and trying their best to survive the Vast! They've done wonders staying alive up to this point and are in for more death defying feats as they discover a commune of fellow humans hidden in the mo
Chandru CS
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One

You should get some of my favorites from your computer and a little late but it's also important thing for us
Michaela
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tak napínavé pomerne dosť, ale také predvídateľné až strach. Neuveriteľné prežitie, nechápem, že to tak autor naťahuje...
usagi ☆ミ
While not quite as satisfying as book one, "The Prey" is still a great middle book for this trilogy, and gives us some much-needed information and more excellent worldbuilding based on what Fukuda gave us in "The Hunt". And tons of more action and tension, too. But the lack of satisfaction has me looking all the more forward to the release of "The Trap", which should be released later this year. "The Prey" isn't the most exciting sophomoric effort of 2013 so far, but it's still a very solid and ...more
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Domino Falls (Devil's Wake, #2)
  • Solstice
  • Vortex (Tempest, #2)
  • Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • Deviant
  • The Severed Tower (Conquered Earth, #2)
  • The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2)
  • The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)
  • The Loved and the Lost (The Verona Trilogy #3)
  • The Cassini Code (Galahad, #3)
  • Grains of Truth (The Truth Be Told #1)
  • Emilie and the Sky World (Emilie, #2)
  • Deadly Diamonds (Knight and Devlin #4)
  • Morningside Fall (Legends of the Duskwalker, #2)
Born in Manhattan and raised in Hong Kong, Andrew Fukuda is half-Chinese, half-Japanese. After earning a bachelor's degree in history from Cornell University, Fukuda worked in Manhattan's Chinatown with the immigrant teen community. That experience led to the writing of Crossing, his debut novel that was selected by ALA Booklist as an Editor's Choice, Top Ten First Novel, and Top Ten Crime Novel i ...more

The Hunt (3 books)
  • The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
  • The Trap (The Hunt, #3)