Start by marking “Food Is Your Best Medicine: The Pioneering Nutrition Classic” as Want to Read:
Food Is Your Best Medicine: The Pioneering Nutrition Classic

Food Is Your Best Medicine: The Pioneering Nutrition Classic

Drugs may not be the only cure for disease . . .

What do Gloria Swanson and Greta Garbo have in common?

They owe their good health to Dr. Henry Bieler's sane, simple, and utterly profound philosophy that food is your best medicine!

You are what you eat, and Dr. Bieler contends, based on over fifty years of practice, that proper diet plays a key role in warding off and curing
Published July 12th 1987 by Ballantine Books (first published February 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Food Is Your Best Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Is Your Best Medicine

Start your review of Food Is Your Best Medicine: The Pioneering Nutrition Classic
Anya
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Way ahead of his time, Dr Bieler treated my mom for hypertension after she lost a baby in the 8th month of pregnancy. His treatment? CHANGE YOUR DIET. And she did... And she and my parents have lived on these principles for more than 40 years. Fantastic book.
Belann
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this years ago, but heard it mentioned on a forum and decided it might be worth rereading. It was written in 1965, but the content still has merit today. Bieler realized that although food is medicine, when people end up in a diseased state, they might need different whole foods to get them well. Sometimes they need just plants, and those need to be alkaline plants such as green beans, zucchini, celery. This would be true especially for the person whose condition is caused by heavy meat ...more
Vinz
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The author is a famous physician of the past, well known for having helped many Holliwod stars of his time. He was a doctor completely dedicated to his patients and working 7 days a week even after having retired. He accpeted all the patients that had the will to change their bad habits independently from their social status.

The book is divided into 3 parts. The first one explain in simple words how the human body works as a whole. This is something that most of the over-specialized doctors
G____ Goshin
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is going into my shelves and I will be grabbing another copy. Dr. Henry Bieler gives a digested version of complex nutritional and chemistry education. There aren't any special recipes in this book but there is a ton a valuable ideas and research that remain relevant to this day and possibly the future. Health has always been our responsibility, and peer/societal pressure knocks a lot of folks to the conformist train in eating whatever that "tastes good" or is "healthy". We have to do ...more
Samo
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Prava knjiga ob pravem času.
Človek je največja mojstrovina narave.

Priporočam.
jaccimae
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Pharmaceuticals step out-a-here! You want optimun health, food is a big part of it for you! You will be amazed at what this man does for the people under his care.
Travis Gensler
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I learned a great deal from this book, even though the material is a little dated, I have found that I am more aware of what I consume.
Richie
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Bierler was once an overweight, pill-pusher who sought not to fix the source of disease but to cover the symptoms. Many of his contemporaries (and probably many of today’s doctors) thought he was nuts. “Malnutrition from synthesized, heavy foods causes disease; nonsense!” They cried, but Bieler proved again and again that diese could be curbed with a proper, nutrient-dense diet.

This book is not intented to give recipes and the reader an easy way out (something he states from the beginning,
Susan Disharoon
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Food IS Your Best Medicine...

...The Pioneering Nutrition Classic was required reading in class I’m taking. Clear, concise, and eye-opening. Keeping in my library to share with others.
Lisa
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating read

It’s hard to believe this book was written when I was a child. Dr. Beiler was a pioneer in using food to heal people. Much of what he says is still relevant today. I learned a great deal and do enjoy his famed ‘Beiler Broth’ often.
Sasha
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Would not recommend to anyone looking to get healthy. Bad science!
Andrea
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, ideas, health
If you are plagued with migraines you might find something interesting in this book. Mr Bieler is an MD who talks about the knowledge he has gained over the course of his career of treating patients. Many diseases are related to poor nutrition and can be remedied with better nutrition. This book is very readable. It is not hard to understand and has some surprising conclusions. Highly recommend it. Worth owning!
D.J.
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book about using food to heal your body and maintain energy and vitality. Bieler delineates the defense mechanisms of the body, how your body talks to you before the crisis of "dis-ease" takes hold and how to re-establish and maintain health through clean eating. He cites brilliant research going back to ancient times and how much knowledge has been hiding in plain sight.
Mindi Bennett
Another book that has completely ruined my life. If I believe this doctor, and of course I do (ahhhhhh! why do I always believe everything I read!) I'll only be eating rare beef, fresh raw unpasteurized milk and string bean and zucchini soup. And I don't even want to tell you all the scary stuff he said about ice cream...
Dani Turner
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Although this is a very informative book, I was hoping to learn more about particular foods and not that I should just "eat healthier" ... He mentioned boiling green beans and zucchini a lot, for example, and how you don't want to over cook them, but offers nothing in the proper way of preparing them.
George
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
Although I don't agree with all the content, there are some healthful points made.
Robin
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone!
One of those foundation reads for insight to better health.
David
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, food
I was hoping for a lot. It failed to deliver.
Sandra
Jun 06, 2016 added it
One of the best when it comes to understanding the energetics of food. Unlike most of the books on food these days which are merely marketing tools.
Yousef Elebiary
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want to read
Frank
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Easy read. Lots of good advice about food. He's a little eccentric and some of his philosophies are a little dated. But overall good advice that worth the time.
Madhuri
Jan 10, 2016
Lelisia
Dec 15, 2012
Tinnakone Keosavut
rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 3 20 Feb 29, 2016 07:40AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 8 17 Feb 29, 2016 03:45AM

• Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • My Paleo Patisserie: Gluten Free and Paleo-Inspired Pastries
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan: Boost Brain Performance, Lose Weight, and Achieve Optimal Health
  • Unashamed: Drop the Baggage, Pick up Your Freedom, Fulfill Your Destiny
  • The Whole30 Slow Cooker: 150 Totally Compliant Prep-and-Go Recipes for Your Whole30 — with Instant Pot Recipes
  • The Whole30 Fast & Easy Cookbook: 150 Simply Delicious Everyday Recipes for Your Whole30
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • The Migraine Miracle: A Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free, Ancestral Diet to Reduce Inflammation and Relieve Your Headaches for Good
  • Danielle Walker's Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime
  • Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
  • Lioness Arising
  • The Power of Positive Thinking
  • Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
  • The Untold Story of Milk
“I also believe that the most common source of the particular acid the polio virus seems to prefer comes from the putrefaction of ice cream in the bowels. Polio strikes most viciously at children who eat large quantities of ice cream.” 0 likes