Start by marking “Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young

Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young

(Runaways (2003/2008) (Collected Editions) #3)

The world as we know it is about to end and the Runaways are the only hope to prevent it! But if our fledgling teenage heroes are going to succeed, they may have to become just as evil as their villainous parents. The Runaways have learned how their parents' criminal organization began, and now they must decide how it should end. As the Runaways' epic battle against their ...more
Published June 7th 2006 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways, Vol. 3

Start your review of Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young
Jan Philipzig
The showdown between our teenage protagonists and their parents is entertaining enough, if a bit on the generic side. The mole affair in particular could have been handled more convincingly, I thought. Still a fun read, don’t get me wrong, just not quite as original, radical and daring as I had hoped based on the previous two trades. I’ll keep reading, though, especially since the final issue collected here marks a promising return to form. Who knows, maybe our teenage heroes still have bigger f ...more
Baba
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The final volume of season one sees the Runaways confront the parents, and the resulting twists, turns and casualties that follow. A bit more super-heroic than the previous two volumes, but enough surprises to keep the faithful faithful. 16 years on from it's original publication it doesn't truly feel as groundbreaking as it was in its day, which in a way is a result of the impact this had has on young adult comic books. 8 out of 12.
Paul E. Morph
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book four of 2019.

I devoured this one in one glorious sitting! This volume is where Runaways goes from excellent to remarkable (or Incredible (40) to Amazing (50) for my fellow FASERIPers)! This gave me all the feels, from betrayal to heartbreak to victory to heartwarming to spaghetti hoops! I loved it.

(Please note that there are no spaghetti hoops in this book. I was just seeing if you were paying attention.)
Sam Quixote
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Runaways discover the bizarre origins of their parents’ supervillain group, The Pride, before deciding they need to confront them once and for all. But the mole in the group threatens to bring them down, while The Pride have their own insurrectionists. Whatever happens, there will be blood!

After a lull in the weak second volume, Brian K Vaughan is back with a much more energised and focused third book. The origin story for The Pride is completely bonkers but in keeping with what you’d expec
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018, graphic-novels
3.5

I didn’t like this as much as I liked Vol 1 & 2 but it was still entertaining. I thought the mole reveal could have been a bit better, it seemed kind of clichéd and overdone. It was just a bit meh. I also wish there was a bit more action in the fight scene. It was building up to a showdown from volume 1 and then it just kind of ended very quickly. I’m curious to see what will happen next but I’m not very excited about it.
Chad
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vaughan plays all his cards, how the Pride came together, who the mole is, the Pride's endgame, it all comes to a head in a satisfying way. Vaughan ties up all the loose ends while setting the Runaways up for the future. Alphona's art is finally up to snuff. ...more
Bradley
Better than the previous volume, this one finalizes the conflict between Pride and their very own runaway kids.

(Apparently)

Is it just me, or are the Giants kinda lame? I mean, I like everything Alex did and the kids themselves aren't bad reading, but the bad guys' bosses are so... yeah. Okay then. It's not like the comic has lost its charm or anything. I still enjoy these little outcasts.

But aside from their parents being the big bad, where can this really go?
Mike
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun, gateway-comics
Thank you Mr. Brian K. I was beginning to worry you were getting bogged down in editorial notes to "make this more like Strangers in Paradise and Archie - straight-arrow melodrama and romance" that just bores the shit out of me. (http://dorkshelf.com/2013/02/07/oh-ro...) I mean, if I really want to read Jane Austen I'll just torture myself full-frontal, not the sidelong wanna-be-modern-but-not-self-aware Boredom Books.

(Sorry, I'm picking on the comics I remember with a flavour of that, even thou
Cisz Geverink - Strasters
Geweldige plottwist!!!
Scott Rhee
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wow, so that ended quicker than I’d hoped. And not at all the way I expected.

Such was my immediate reaction to finishing “Runaways, Volume 3: The Good Die Young”, a Marvel series that originally ran from 2003 to 2008, written by Brian K. Vaughan and drawn by Adrian Alphona.

Of course, the series didn’t really end, as Vaughan explains in an afterword, and despite my expectations, I still enjoyed the ending, shocking as it is.

I think my main mistake is that I got hooked on the Hulu/Disney-Plus TV s
jess ❈
that plot twist though oh my
Rahmi
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel-comic
Akhirnya ituuuuuuu, ga ketebak ternyata siapa sebenernya yang masih setia sama The Pride
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
Found
Gibborim
I think I'm finally into this...
This one really grabbed me and pulled me all the way in. I enjoyed the plot much more than the previous ones, the fact that we got to see the why behind The Pride and how it was executed really piqued my interest.

I'm interested to see where Vaughan will take this next...
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"At least once during our adolescents years, many of us felt that our parents were the most evil people alive...but what if they really were?"

I can't even say how much i love and suffer this number...
Let's give so context...The Pride was the Runaways parents evil organization but, How is that this completely different people start this? I've wonder this since i'd star reading the fist volumen, fortunately i found out in this volumen.

The other thing is...could you be able to stop the people w
Ana ☾
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, read-in-english
I'm really liking this comic series, which is weird because I'm definitely not a comic person at all.
The original plot of the villain parents ended in this volume so I'm excited to see what the next big plot is going to be for the next volumes.
I'm loving the series as well and though I can tell is going to be a little different from this comics it seems as if is going to be just as good. I wished Hulu was like Netflix so I could have all the episodes already and I couldn't have to wait.
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Marginally better than the prior volumes. I liked the backstory of the Pride and the Giborim, it gave some much-needed broader context to the whole storyline. Overall, still meh. The artwork leaves something to be desired; faces and expressions are often very weird-looking. There is a seismic shift in the storyline two thirds of the way through this volume. I will keep reading this series but I don't honestly expect it to improve much. ...more
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I feel like my estimation of Runaways has gone down from the first volume. The first volume was awesome. The second felt like a filler-- seriously? Random vampires? WTF? It didn't even need to exist, in my opinion. The third tied up the issues from the first, fleshed out the plot, and answered my questions. Now, however, I have a few more questions:

Why are the girls always being led around by guys? They're in the majority!
Why do they constantly fight over boys, to the point of the guys needing t
Cale
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I apparently had read this before, but didn't remember it at all. This volume ends the original arc as the Runaways face their parents in conflict, and the secrets of the Pride are revealed. There's a lot of stuff going on here, and the battles are pretty intense, especially when the mole switches sides (the identity of whom is guessable and a little disappointing, but it makes sense). But everyone gets a chance to shine, and the Pride's motives are explored a little bit more to make them margin ...more
RG
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was worried after Vol 2 that the momentum would struggle. It surprised and was as strong as ever. Good showdown at the end, and concludes one story arc.
Chihoe Ho
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy. Shit. I definitely wasn't expecting things to shake down the way it did. I honestly read most of this volume with bugged eyes and a dropped jaw. The mole plot twist was very cleverly implanted from the beginning of the series and to see it pay off in a pretty spectacular fashion is so satisfying. I was surprised by the reveal, and was just as shocked by the events that transpired.

The story concluded on a positive note but it is also open-ended enough to know that it wasn't The End. Ultimat
Paul
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable and well done conclusion to the first set of the series. Really like the characters and plot worked really well with a twist so strongly hinted at I didn't think it would come. ...more
Michael
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, it's official - the original 2003-2004... erm... run (for lack of a better word) of the Runaways is one of the coolest things I've ever read. ...more
Nikki
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gert and Chase are my faves.
Robert
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those Looking to Run Away from the Everyday
Shelves: marvel
I love most everything Vaughan is involved in, so maybe it's a bit harsh to feel so disappointed by this volume but... (view spoiler) ...more
Wing Kee
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Much better and a satisfying end.

World: The art is okay, not the best Alphona but has enough character to make me enjoy it. The world building stepped up with a larger picker and greater scope. Good stuff.

Story: Solid and fast paced. The last arc wandered a bit and this one is just non stop. The finale was good the reveal was solid and made sense. Just a solid story throughout. The emotions were a bit fast and the end came pretty abrupt but it was as long as it needed to be.

Characters: Solid.
Kay
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
And the betrayer is revealed!

I'm glad it didn't drag on forever at least. I still don't get it though. There's no hint or mess-up, or character flaw that could have prepared me for the narc. This is my second time reading, and I still don't get it. I mean, I get it...They explain themselves. But, I wish there was a bit more for us to have called it. You know? To be so loyal to their parents in a relationship that didn't seem very lovingly reciprocal at times...I wish there had been more of a tr
Nicky
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Still slight, still fun. Things unfolded much as I expected re: the mole plot. Did have a little squee at Cap's brief appearance, and I love the end. I'm not so keen on the way omg everyone must pair up (I mean, what've we had so far: Alex/Nico, vampire boy/Niko, vampire boy/Karolina, Chase/Gert, Karolina's crush on Nico). And I agree with another review that points out that Molly certainly doesn't act her age.

Still. Despite those quibbles, I am enjoying this, and I'll be interested to see where
Angie
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: comic book fans
Recommended to Angie by: saw it advertised on a comic book site
This edition of the runaway s didn't disappoint! The kids managed with nudges from one of the group to actually reach their parents(the 'rents) in time to stop the big plan.

It was good fun reading a new group of players in the Marvel universe. Seeing what they were able to achieve on there own, as the avengers didn't turn up till it was all over.

So the story arc dealing with the evil parents is over and the kids are on the run once again, I wonder what will happen next?
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Wow, what an explosive end to that storyline! I didn't see the mole's identity (though I'm sure to most it would have been obvious) and I love how the story gives us some answers. Oh and yay to wrapping up the loose ends while still managing to leave the series open-ended.

Now I'm in a quandary: should I continue? I've got enough series to follow - but then Vaughan is amazing and Saga isn't out yet. Hmmmmm...
Alice Rachel
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the graphics. Suspenseful. A few comments from Chase left to be desired, but overall it was great.

• Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Canon Fodder
  • She-Hulk, Volume 1: Single Green Female
  • Young Avengers Presents
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Runaways (2003/2008) (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy