Start by marking “Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2

Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2

(Runaways Deluxe #2)

This deluxe hardcover collects Runaways Volume 4: True Believers and Runaways Volume 5: Escape to New York, plus extras. In True Believers, it's an all-new beginning for the book that Wizard calls "the best original concept from Marvel in thirty years " When a group of teenagers discovers that their parents are actually super-villains, they run away from home... but that's ...more
Published December 6th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2

Start your review of Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 2
Chad
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I'm using these complete collections as an excuse to go back and read these for the first time since they originally came out. Brian K. Vaughan's still got it. The book still holds up. It's a fun, witty comic full of teen drama and kids trying to redeem the sins of their fathers. The scenes with Spider-Man and Wolverine are each hilarious. The best use I've seen of guest stars in ages.

Some will find the dialogue a bit problematic at times, but it is real, especially for a comic written in 2006.
Kate (GirlReading)
I’m having so much fun reading this series. I love the plot, I love the characters and I love the artwork. The only thing I don’t love is the frustrating and extremely problematic use of outdated language. Other than that, I’m thoroughly enjoyed this series but wow, does some of the language suck.

TW:
• Racism, Ableism, Homophobia
Sesana
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Not quite as satisfying of a read as the first volume, probably because it doesn't have the same focus. Now that the Pride storyline's been settled, we're basically left with a no adults, costume free version of Generation X. This is not a bad thing, necessarily. I really liked Generation X. And I really like these characters, most of them. (I haven't quite warmed up to Nico.) There are a lot of guest characters involved here, including some really big names, some of them acting very dimly. Capt ...more
Melissa
I don't know if I want to write a review about this, but I do have some musings.

It gets a little old for Nico to be asked over & over again, "Can't you just use the Staff of One to *do this thing*?" and she replies, "No, I've already used that spell." Could the Staff of One be used along with a thesaurus? If you can only say, like, "Teleport!" once, could you get a similar effect from saying, "Transport me across space and distance instantly"?

If Gert is going to be referred to as fat by bad gu
Clarissa
This was underwhelming. I liked that they have finally established themselves as a team but I miss them learning to work together and figure out their dynamic. Also, I kind of miss Alex. I am alone in this?

The teenage drama was a bit much for me. Girls fighting over a guy? Karolina essentially running off because Nico kind of rejected her? I’m over it.

We’re introduced to a new kid, Victor, who is half human/half android? I’m having a problem with the implication of yet another person of color po
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
3.5 stars?

I don't know. I definitely was less enthused by this one than the last one. The last felt more like a team book. I'll admit, with 99% of the series I read, I always prefer the first installment to the sequels that come after. I love watching a team come together. The last volume shows you how they came to work together, how they found their dynamic and there was the worry of who the mole was.

This one didn't have any of that because the team was "established", I guess. I hate that they
Rory Wilding
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Over a decade ago when I started getting into comics, one of the first Marvel comics I collected was Runaways, an obscure title that introduced me to the writings of Brian K. Vaughan. Having read the initial run as well as the terrific TV adaptation, which has been renewed for a second season, about time I should continue the further adventures by Vaughan and artist Adrian Alphona.

Following the defeat of their parents who were secretly the supervillain group known as the Pride, as well as the de
Kenzie
WHAT JUST HAPPENED
Emily
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
GERRRRRTTTTTTTT
Scott
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Worth the time to read but not much more.
Plot was flat and uninteresting.

Holly Hand Grenade
Vic: "You guys have some kind of rallying cry? You know like 'Avengers Assemble' 'It's clobberin' time' 'Hulk smash?'"
Nico: "Try not to die."

This volume is primarily a group of short stories that seem to have one goal: making the makeshift Runaways team a real, cohesive unit. They're all a little shaken after the events of the last book, but what happens next (even though it's not fighting off one big bad like in the previous volume) feels like a natural progression.

These kids wouldn't go from h
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once upon a time, six couples agreed to sell the earth to monsters in return for great power. Each couple has a kid, each couple loves their child, and perhaps consequently, most of the children do not grow up as sociopaths. They do, however, kill their parents, saving the world. This is the further adventures of our young heroes. Well, the ones that are left. Plus Ultron’s kid. And a gender bending Skrull.

It’s kinda amazing how much more I liked this than The Age of Apocalypse. The characters
Dolly
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the second volume of collected comics in the Runaways series.

It's a long book, so I needed to pace myself. The story is quite convoluted with more heroes, villains, and mutants than I can keep track of.

And as I am not well-read on the various members of the Avengers, I had to reread a few pages here and there to make sure I didn't get lost.

Still, after a slow start, the story finished on a very explosive note and I am looking forward to reading the next two volumes.

Stephanie Sarac
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one wasn't as good as the first but it was still pretty great. I like how a new normal is made between the Runaways and Victor is introduced. I'm still working out Xavin. The more I read on, the more I feel like I know them. ...more
Rian
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
Very enjoyable, if not quite as good as Vol. 1 The overall plot felt less focused, with more side stories and vignettes thrown in, and I wasn't overfond of the initial group of villains. Still, I found Chase and Gert's relationship to be touching and interesting, and Karolina became a much more charming character as she grew into herself. Nico, on the other hand, seemed to just get more and more irritating, and her string of sexual escapades went from awkwardly funny, to awkward, to boring. When ...more
Donna
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

I'm struggling rating this one because overall I loved it, but the plot wasn't quite as tight as the first collection. The beginning and end was really strong but I just felt like the middle kind of meandered all over the place for no real reason.

The characters are really what keep me reading and I'm super glad to know that this isn't the end for them and that there will be one more collected edition!
velma
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Not as satisfying as Volume 1, but Volume 1 contained all the issues of the first Runaways incarnation. This book only has half of the second incarnation, and for all I know it'll get better in the second half.

Still really really good though. God bless my precious angel, Karolina Dean.
Nikki
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this series! So much girl power and such a fun ride. There was a lot of character development in this one, but the plot wasn't super focused. Can't wait for the next one. ...more
Pernille
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tegneserier
Likey likey! Lovely little cameos or well... appearances from all those cool superheroes I've seen in the movies lately and should have read the comics of! ...more
Heatherblakely
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I really do like this series. I think the characters are interesting, and I really liked the stories in this volume. This group has a different dynamic than the Young Avengers (which they bring up all the time and I find slightly annoying because don't insult my girl Kate Bishop), and they approach good vs bad as a lot grayer than Young Avengers tends do.

However, I hate Chase. I don't like him at all, and I hope that he's...better? in the tv series. Because good lord, all the homophobic and abl
Marc
This second volume of this series was such a disappointment. Runaways vol 1 had a clear vision and goal to the story while this second volume was just everywhere. I felt the pacing with the new character introduction were not done well. I did not care for the new characters and even grew annoyed with the old characters. The constant change in art style bugged me as well as most were much sub par with the original art style. I found the plot just rubbish at most points, and the drama they had I f ...more
Robbins Library
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jenny-recommends
In this collection, the Runaways are back together - Nico, Karolina, Gert, Chase, and Molly. They're fighting crime in LA, trying to make up for their parents' evil, and living under the La Brea tar pits. A future version of Gert arrives in a time machine to make a dire warning about Victor Mancha, a.k.a. Victorious: "His father is a villain from your time...the greatest evil in the universe." Gert-from-the-future dies, and the remaining Runaways must find Victor in the present.

An unbeknownst-to
Nadja
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* I still really like the Runaways and I enjoyed this volume but it just wasn’t as good as the first one. The story is less focus and also less gripping. Still I had a lot of fun reading this, the characters are great and really likable although there was sometimes a bit much teenage drama (view spoiler). There were also some really fun appearances of other heroes.

H
Nate
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this volume didn't have the razor sharp focus and story arch as the first Runaways volume did this is still a great collection. The story follows world weary teens as they struggle on their own to right some of their parents wrongs and make a home for themselves as young fugitive super heroes living in a bunker under the La Brea tar pit. The story seems bigger even as there are more one off adventures but the stakes always seem higher than most super hero fare and Brian Vaughn is just a gr ...more
Maggie Librarian
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel like the first volume of The Runaways ended at a really good place, and while I enjoy the series it's not incredible or magical for me. So if you're on the fence about continuing with this series from Volume 1, I don't think it's necessary.

That said I think it was a good continuation of the series. It can be hard to know what to do with a story once your initial story arc has completed, and I think The Runaways does a great job to staying true to the characters and creating plot points an
Sarah Goodwin
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gretchen Alice
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a relief to read Runaways in both a collected format AND a larger format. Those tiny little individual volumes gave me a headache...I must be getting old. This BKV and Alphona run is gorgeous and heartfelt and exciting and Avenger-tastic. I loved it.

(No surprise here, but the new Rainbow Rowell issue is also insanely good. I'm so glad I got on the Runaways train just in time to enjoy even more of it.)
Trina
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this volume as much as I like the first volume, unfortunately, I did not. Too much fan service to the old Marvel hero regime. I wanted more Runaways and less of a walk of down superhero nostalgia lane. The story felt rushed and different from Volume 1. There were some bright spots ... a new addition ... the field trip to New York City... a surprise and some shock. All good stuff. It was ok ... overall I am still interested in Runaways.
Samantha Nowatzke
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's official, I am obsessed with every project Brian Vaughn is involved with. Because it's all amazing. Runaways is such a fun tale of kids who find out their parents are supervillians. There's young love, betrayal, friendship, deceit, and all the other markers of a good story. I watched the adaptation on Hulu before reading this volume and now I'm anxious to see how they handle season 2 & what happens in volume 2! ...more
Jodie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-books
I really enjoyed this volume, it didn't disappoint. The development of all the characters even the new ones was done really well and the plot never ceased to keep me on the edge of my seat. However, the last five issues in this bind-up included the beginning of Joss Whedon's run with these characters and it ruined the experience. The actions and dialogue all felt out of character and like a huge step back for some after the immense development and plot points that occurred before. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Stormranger
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Runaways Deluxe (4 books)
  • Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1