Start by marking “Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals” as Want to Read:
Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals

Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals

Will be dispatched from UK. Used books may not include companion materials, may have some shelf wear, may contain highlighting/notes, may not include CDs. Will be shipped from UK. Excellent Customer Service
Published May 1st 1992 by Bear & Company (first published September 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Medicine Cards, please sign up.
Sharon Williams If your store doesn't sell the deck seperate is it sold as a book only or does it have the 52 cards included with the book?
Eve It could mean that there is a blockage with your own powers. Perhaps you aren't seeing what is happening right in front of you? It could also mean tha…moreIt could mean that there is a blockage with your own powers. Perhaps you aren't seeing what is happening right in front of you? It could also mean that perhaps you need to start paying more attention to details. Maybe they mean for you to pay close attention to what is happening in your life as you may be blind to something that is happening.(less)

Start your review of Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
Granny
My favorite deck related to animals for divination. This deck connects the natural attributes and behaviors of the animal with the spiritual lore relating to each creature in a way which is both sensible and spiritual. The suggestions for meditation are evocative, and I find myself returning to them again and again.

Animals have been my guides and teachers since before I could talk. I prefer not to call them "totems" for myself, because I do not have the honor of being Native American. But Jamie
Alyce Barry
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A book I refer to often, either when I'm using the medicine cards to glean what's coming or when I've seen an animal or bird I haven't seen in a while to remind myself what it means. For me this book is a handbook to understanding messages received from the Divine through nature.
Lynn Wilson
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have found this book to be wonderfully on target for checking messges from the animal world. Whenever I encounter an animal, whether it be a dead skunk by the side of the road or a deer in the woods, I open the book to see what sort of message the universe might be offering.
D.L.
Nov 16, 2019 added it
I decided to misappropriate culture and buy this from a thrift shop for 2.00. The artwork is really beautiful and I've always liked the idea of identifying with animals as long as there is no yiffing involved.
Denisa Howe
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book of explanation from the Indian beliefs and what they live by. Not simply tarot cards and a book but of the tribes, their understanding of the animals and how they can help lead you down a path of understanding and living in peace as they do. The instructions bring the feel of a hand from the past with great knowledge of how we should live. Even the bear knows it must retreat, and rest from the world as we should to. Take a step back from the cell phones, T.V.'s and life for brie ...more
Kelli
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A dear friend introduced me to this fantastic book & cards set. It meshes really well with Jungian archetypes, and while the scientist in me was skeptical of "finding my totem animals," the cards I ended up picking--face-down--were UNBELIEVABLY UNCANNY. Seriously.

It encourages introspection. I'm not typically one for divination, but I wholeheartedly recommend this set.
Lauren
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
I really like this book, if you're at all interested in animal symbolism I recommend it. I like it much better than the Ted Andrew's books. However, and always, take it with a big grain of salt. Symbolism is a very personal thing, these are just broad guidelines. I like the cards themselves, however they feel very cheap, I wish they actually felt like real cards. They need to be thicker.
Namrata
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, self-help
This set is perfect. It's a little bit like tarot readings/astrology but not quite. You have a deck of cards and lay them out. You choose a random one, then take the almighty book and see what it tells you. If you draw it reversed, you usually get something negative, but not drastic. It pretty helpful and fun to use! You can also draw 9 totem animals and write what they mean according to the directions in the book back in the notes. Please pick this up if possible! Fantastic set, and glad I foun ...more
Karl
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This item is actually more than just a book: it also includes a deck of cards, similar to a Tarot deck, that depicts a variety of North American animals. The information contained in the book is derived from centuries old wisdom held by the North American native peoples. Used in conjunction with one-another the set is designed to:

1) assist people in determining their animal totem and

2) provide a means, another perspective, when dealing with life issues/questions.

Overall, this set is an invaluabl
Briana
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion-other
The star of this set is undoubtedly the book. It is filled with deep, ancient wisdom that continues to make a profound impression upon me. This wisdom is what gives power to the cards. I found a copy of the book at a thrift store and I bought it to use as an animal totem reference book. I find that it can be used similarly to Animal Speak by Ted Andrews, which is my favorite book of animal wisdom. Fantastic stuff! I have looked at the cards and I think they are a suitable companion. The artwork ...more
Luminea
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have owned this set of oracle cards and guidebook for over 20 years, and they remain one of my favourites. The messages always clearly reflect whatever life situation I am going through at the time, and when an animal appears to me in my environment or in dreams I often turn to this guidebook for insight and understanding of the lesson I am being taught. I am truly grateful for the many ways this oracle set has helped me to grow over the years.
Draagonfly
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have LOVED my deck and book since 1996. These cards definitely speak to me every time I use them. I often use the book as a simple reference as well when something causes an animal to cross my path unexpectedly in every day life. Ted Andrews' Animal Speak book is another one I often refer to in conjunction with these.
Christine
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was inspired to delve into this reading after a powerful encounter with a Fox. The ancient tribal wisdom of animal medicine needs to be revived in our modern culture. Wonderful book, with artful descriptions of the Choctaw, Lakota, Seenca, Aztec and more. Highly recommend.
Fidel Maza
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best acquisitions ever
Beth
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing
Charlene
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was introduced to this deck when I was about 13 by my mother and it has LONG been a favorite. A few years ago, I discovered it had been republished with new cards added and, of course, immediately purchased it. This deck is easily my favorite deck to use of all time. As a professional reader, I find that this deck focuses more on the energies and themes that move through our lives and the lessons we learn rather than every day situations and events. This makes it great in regards to personal s ...more
Andy Brine
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially borrowed these cards from a friend and connected with the cards instantly, then had to buy them for myself. The cards not only provide accurate readings, they also help you to connect with your spirit animals. Both the book and cards fit perfectly together. The book alone is fantastic for learning about spirit animals. I would highly recommend getting these cards.

I also reviewed the cards on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-Ie...
Benjamin
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful words that make me realise how much I love to read good things. These are positive affirmations and a daily activity. These words strung together are like fairy lights and form powerful pages and proverbs. What is your spirit animal? Mine is Moby in Wonderland.
Cindy
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book that I use for energy Healing sessions with clients. I love the Native perspective on the Earth, nature, creation, and ways to tune ourselves in to the examples of animals, and incorporate them into healing and medicine animals.
Kelly Trickett
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book and cards set. Does a tremendous job of helping you look inside and get to know yourself deeper. If you love to use tarot and oracle cards for transformation, this is definitely for you.
Kenneth
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Most divination books start off with some chapters on the cosmology, where does the symbolism come from, what are the roots and how deep do they go. Then they move onto card spreads and the meanings of the cards. This book follows that pattern pretty closely.
My problem with animal symbolism is that I feel so cut off from animals as a day to day part of my life that the book has to do a really good job grounding the symbolism of the animal. I feel like this book needs a whole book of native myth
Jackie Berke
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting. Make sure you utilize the cards ....and keep in mind general shamanic ideas.....
Rachael
Mar 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
White peeps profiteering on Native American belief systems.
Julie
A very meaningful and interesting look into Native American medicine and its connection to the animal world. I actually won the deck of cards at a gift exchange party (apparently not a coincidence), and had to track down the book to learn about how to use them. I am so glad I found it!

Medicine is anything that improve's one connection to life, and animals offer medicine through their observable traits, which provide healing lessons and messages. While I do not have much knowledge or experience w
Arwydd
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I purchased this way back in the 90's, and at the time, really got a lot out of it. Somebody had given me a reading based on these cards, and I raced out to buy it immediately, because it was exactly what I needed at that time.

I felt the pictures were beautiful, and especially the wisdom the books offered.

Now, I'm more into Druidry, (just starting out) and as time has gone on, I feel the illustrations are a bit plain and basic compared to what is on offer these days.

I have the Druid Animal Orac
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
These cards are really wonderful if you are reading along with the expansive and informative book that is included! The system gives you great insight to your own spirit animals and is a great way to connect with your spirit animals but I would not recommend this deck for someone who reads intuitively unless you already have a good knowledge of the world of spirit animals. I use this deck for friends and family as well as personally because they understand opening the book and reading the insigh ...more
Dug Holland
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading this book will give you a lot to think about. However, Keep in mind that in the original practice that these cards are based around you wouldn't have been able to do this without a shaman present. You learn a lot from the animal descriptions, but the cards are a waste of time unless you are a shaman. And even then, still probably a waste of time.
SCOUT
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to SCOUT by: a dear friend
Very practical, illustrative, and insightful guide into the spiritual medicinal healing approach as told from native american perspective. Very useful to anyone interested in non alternative methods of recovery, well being. Accompanied by a set of illustrative index cards.
Adam82
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A view from the Native Way, Learn of your totom and your spiritual guides in this book. Remember though, This is only a brief idea, to truely find it, you must go through the vision quest. Happy reading to you.
Alison
Apr 11, 2009 is currently reading it
Awesome birthday gift from Marquita. I have been into the symbolism of animals and animal totems for a little over a year now. I'm looking forward to using this book and these cards in my continual efforts to learn from the symbols in my life...and animals as guides, particularly.

• The Wild Unknown Tarot Guidebook
  • Astrology For Dummies
  • Dan Brown Inferno (Robert Langdon) Unofficial Guide
  • The Sorrow Of War: A Novel of North Vietnam
  • The Wizard of Oz Coloring Book: The Classic Edition
  • The Drifting Classroom HCF 2019
  • China Shakes the World: A Titan's Rise and Troubled Future -- and the Challenge for America
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • Beekeeping for Dummies
  • Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy (Arthurian Saga, #1-3)
  • Visual Function: An Introduction to Information Design
  • ThetaHealing: Go Up and Seek God, Go Up and Work with God
  • Quantum Wellness: A Transformative Guide to Health, Happiness and a Better World
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Life Style
  • Adventures in the Land of Astra
  • Expect a Miracle: 7 Spiritual Steps to Finding the Right Relationship
  • Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow
Jamie Sams is half French and half American Indian, with ancestors from the Cherokee, Seneca, Choctaw, and Mohawk tribes. She is also a key member of the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge, retreat leader, and writer on American Indian spirituality, e.g. „Dancing the Dream”, „The 13 Original Clan Mothers”, and (with Twylah Nitsch) „Other Council Fires Were Here Before Ours”.

News & Interviews