Start by marking “Making Plant Medicine” as Want to Read:
Making Plant Medicine

Making Plant Medicine

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Making Plant Medicine is about making herbal medicine. This is a modern medicine making book and formulary with its roots in original herbalism designed for every medicinal herb gardener to cultivate the full potential of the plant-human relationship. Richo Cech tells very good stories based on his experience as a global wanderer, herbalist and medicine maker. In the conte ...more
Published February 28th 2000 by Horizon Herbs

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
(also posted on my site The Paperback Stash)

Cech writes a book I've been waiting for - something truly in depth that talks about tinctures in more than just a paragraph or so. While saying it's perfectly fine to make tinctures in the 'simplers manner' - and he explains how to do this - his reasons for making consistent batches with measurements for continued accuracy and control makes perfect sense. He brings up the merits many herbalists do regarding the benefits of alcohol as a medium - beside
Christy
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My study of herbs was put on the side since I received my Master Herbalist certification and started to study nutrition in depth. Making Plant Medicine caught my eye when I was placing an order at Horizonherbs.com. What a valuable book! When studying to become a Master Herbalist at the School of Natural Healing, I never felt that I had mastered measurements in making tinctures etc.. and definitely not the mathematics of figuring percentages of the solutions.

The book contains specific ratios of
Vanessa
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Richo Chech somehow managed to stuff the teqnique and strengths for preparing teas, tinctures, poltice, salves, compress, and baths into a fairly compact paperback! He gives the reader confidence by allowing them to experiance making medicine through his short stories, this guidence encourages the reader to visualize the steps; allowing a smooth transition into application. It shares a variety of remidies that any house would be blessed to experiance. The presentation is unintimidating, yet very ...more
Kristina Seleshanko
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most comprehensive books I've ever read on the topic. Excellent, detailed instructions on making folk and mathematical tinctures, plus teas and decoctions, syrups, salves, oils, creams, poulstices, compresses, soaks, Succi, glycerine's, and vinegar extracts. Also contains a dictionary of info on how to use specific herbs.
Lesley Gibbs
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
definitely in the top 3 most frequently consulted books in my herbal library. this book is indispensable. the information is excellent and the writing itself is concise and good natured. the anecdotes are priceless. if you have any desire to make medicine from plants, this book will be a trusty friend.
Tracy
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for straight forward tincture directions. I like how it's broken down by plant and addresses all the possible uses.
Olga
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, herbal
Extremely useful, concise book on making herbal medicine in all forms. I'd recommend getting it first if you're interested in the topic, and any other book after you finished this one! It also contains materia medica for all herbs that are commonly used.
Alasan Sani
Mar 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebook-reader
l can't even get access to the book l want to read, why?
Will
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Making Plant Medicine contains current info that could be used by anyone to make masterful tinctures, teas, or herbal syrups. It compliments Spagyrics The Alchemical Preparation of Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs, which preserves information about alchemical symbols and previous astrological corelations that aren't so popular since we got glasses thick enough to see pluto.
Chris
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Great reference book, especially for tinctures, though i think richo is a kook. Probably a good kook.

Chris Harrod
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If your looking at making medicine with plants, this book should be on your shelf. From tinctures and extracts to salves and poultices.
Mary
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my "Go To" book for dosing and ratios.
Fenixbird SandS
Mar 19, 2010 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Everyone
Looking forward to this one! Hawthorne tree? Foxglove? Ashwaganda? Ring any bells for you?
Theresa Girolami
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good reference!
Linda Ash
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very thorough 'how to'. I keep it handy when making herbal things for myself, my family, and my online herbal store.
Aimee
Daphne Singingtree
May 11, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Edition has wrong ISBNs 2 14 Dec 27, 2016 08:10PM
  • The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • Planetary Herbology
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • Native American Ethnobotany
  • The Wild & Weedy Apothecary: An A to Z Book of Herbal Concoctions, Recipes & Remedies, Practical Know-How & Food for the Soul
  • A Modern Herbal
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West
  • The School of Natural Healing: The Reference Volume on Natural Herbs for the Teacher, Student or Herbal Practitioner