Start by marking “Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Natural and Conventional Treatments for Infants and Children” as Want to Read:

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  271 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Safe and effective relief of common childhood disorders using nutritional supplements, herbs, homeopathy, acupressure, diet, and conventional medicine."A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Natural and Conventional Treatments for Infants & Children"Revised, updated, and expanded to reflect the latest thinking and information on children's health issues, Smart Medicine for a ...more
Paperback, Revised and Updated, 2nd Edition, 576 pages
Published January 6th 2003 by Avery Publishing Group (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child

Julie
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: child-rearing
Next time you have to go to an obnoxious baby shower and you're nonplussed by the tacky baby gift registry - bring this book. The ever-expanding guest of honor doesn't need any more tiered diaper cakes, embroidered wash cloths, or useless detachment tools. This book is what will be useful at 3am when her baby is dripping from every orifice or when a pediatrician wants to push antibiotics or other unnecessary treatment. It's useful beyond child rearing, too. Case in point: my bff called me about ...more
Melissa
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with children--or for yourself!
Recommended to Melissa by: Michelle
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!

Michelle introduced me to this book, and it has it's own special place on my countertop. The beauty of this book is that is covers all the major childhood illnesses (colds to chickenpox, etc.), explaining how each illness occurs and affects the body.

Then, it goes on to describe all of your options for treating your child. Nutrition, diet, herbs, conventional treatment, homeopathy, even massage and pressure points.

I just love how I have options, and can tailor treatm
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This provides exactly the approach to medicine that I always wanted. It gives just enough information for me to determine what's wrong, how serious it is, if it's worth a trip to the doctor's office, and what home treatments are recommended. I'd say it's written in my style, but really I think it's in anyone's style. By that I mean, this book will be helpful to anyone no matter what their approach is to medicine.

Organized for quick referencing, this book gives a description of every illness, sum
Tiffiny
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, health
I love this book! For most common childhood ailments, there are homeopathic treatments, nutritional supplements, dietary guidelines, herbal treatments, general recommendations, conventional treatments, preventive measures, and when applicable, when to call the doctor or go to the emergency room. I always look to this book first when my kids are sick (and often when I or my husband is too), and have found that I am able to help my family heal and be well. Besides avoiding unnecessary and costly d ...more
Elise
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very useful book to help with childhood's common ailments. I *very* much like the fact that the author provides homeopathic and herbal remedies along with conventional medicine. Also, there is a "prevention" part for each disease which is also helpful, and very often ignored by other self-help medical books for kids.

And it's not only helpful for kids, but for adults too. I mean, we also get food poisoning and colds :)

Definitely a must have.
Jun 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Moms and Dads everywhere!
This is probably the most used book in my home. I have used it since my oldest was a baby 7 years ago and continue to reach for it at least once a month. I love the comprehensive diagnosis portion and I like how they include several healing modalities, so you can choose what will work for your family, or even customize treatment plans from child to child. A wonderful resource I would recomend for all parents!
kismet
May 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: MOTHERS!
This book has been a constant reference for me. I love it because it describes symptoms very well, then gives the conventional, herbal, and homeopathic treatments to a huge variety of common childhood illnesses. It has helped me tremendously. It also includes instructions on making poutices and tea combinations, as well as accupressure points for healing.
Wendy
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest gifts I have received. It is so easy to use and has wonderful, practical advice. For each 'ailment' it lays out the conventional medical treatment, along with homeopathy, herbs, diet, acupressure, etc so you can make the best choice for your child. If you are at all interested in trying alternative methods to health care, this is a great guide.
Ellen Gaussiran
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Some of the most important decsions we have to make in caring for our children concern health care. Yet often we are not aware of the full range of choices available to us. This book offers the latest information on common childhood health problems, traditional and alternative options. I love this book!
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is incredibly useful to have around. It's a reference, organized by ailment, that describes the options for treatment including standard Western medicine, herbal remedies, homeopathy, acupressure points, etc. It's the first place we look when our kid comes up with a problem we're not sure how to handle.
Amelia
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book got me through my first child's infancy with a lot less stress!! i highly recommend this book to any new parent. it helps so much with the middle of the night worries - should i call the doctor? is this normal? can this homeopathic that i have help? i haven't looked at it much with my second child, but for the first, it was frequently perused.
Rachel
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was indispensable, especially for the first 10 years of my children's lives. Absolutely loved that it provides several modalities of treatment for all common ailments. Great collaboration between doctors.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book has helped me more than anything or anyone (including doctors) to treat my children when they're sick. I have learned so much about natural, nutritional, and herbal treatments. I have far more confidence in alternative approaches so this book fits me perfectly.
Shelly
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is essential for any parent with young children. It provides natural and conventional ways to treat common illnesses that young children get. I find myself referring to it ofen, whenever my children are ill.
Spirited Stardust
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love that it had examples of conventional medicine alongside popular alternative options such as homeopathy, herbal, chinese etc.

I also liked the added features such as recommended first aid kits (for all methods), CPR instructions etc.
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Have heard good things about this one.

Update: After skimming through it I decided to actually buy it! I really like the breadth of information and the various remedies that are presented. I'm confident it will be a good resource to have around for all of us.
Megank
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great combination of western, nutritional, homeopathic, herbal, and acupressure. A very organized, easy to use resource. Outstanding!
Sally
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents
Great suggestions on handling children's health from a natural health view-point, but not discrediting mainstream medicine.
Lucy
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
absolutely indispensable book that offers conventional and alternative home treatments for when your child is sick.
Mugsymkelly
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This pediatric reference was recommended by our physician's assistant. It includes homeopathic, as well as traditional, remedies for ailments that are categorized.
Jenava
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, mom
This is a great book to have on the shelf...it covers all different types of medicine to help you make an informed choice! Love it:)
Ricquel Ricks-Cumbo
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one for every parent. You must have as a reference book. I do have a few of these type of book on my self at home.
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
so far GREAT!
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A great resource all parents should have.
Stephanie Elms
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, parenting

I use this book all the time and love that it has both traditional and alternative approaches.
Lily
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, own
This is a nice go-to book for all sorts of child illnesses
Katrina
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Katrina by: Abby
I love this book. I use it all the time, even for my own ailments.
Melisa
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melisa by: Vickie G.
Shelves: parenting
This is a fabulous resource guide that covers every child hood health issue that I have ever needed help with. (Did I just end a sentence w/ a preposition?...my bad!)
Nicole
May 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
an excellent resource
Jill Richards
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Use it all the time!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Family Nutrition Book: Everything You Need to Know about Feeding Your Children from Birth Through Adolescence
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year (Wise Woman Herbal Series, #1)
  • Redirecting Children's Behavior
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers:  Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep
  • Adventures in Natural Childbirth: Tales from Women on the Joys, Fears, Pleasures, and Pains of Giving Birth Naturally
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
1 follower
"My two most enduring interests are plants and people, so I am fortunate that what I do melds both of these passions. For half my life, I have worked with herbs and natural medicine, and I can't imagine doing anything else. You see a change when people begin to incorporate natural health practices into their lifestyle. The body is always trying to assume a state of health and to live in harmony wi ...more
More about Janet Zand

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed