Start by marking “Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis, #1)

Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis #1)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  2,355 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
Since canceling her wedding, Sofie Metropolis has a new career tracking down lost pets and cheating spouses. If you love My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Stephanie Plum, this is definitely for you!--New York Times bestselling author Christine Feehan.
Published April 4th 2006 by Tor Books (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sofie Metropolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sofie Metropolis

Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2010
2 1/2 stars
I really thought I would enjoy this book. It sounded good...I've enjoyed Stephanie Plum and I really liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Problem is that this book is like a million different recycled stories with barely any cohesion. Sofie is an okay character--not unlikeable, but also not too interesting. She seems to ramble on a lot, but never really thinks anything through.

There are plenty of Greek references...there isn't one moment in this book that you will forget that Sofie is Gre
Laura de Leon
Sep 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Sofie Metropolis was probably closer to 3.5 stars. I'm wondering if I'd read the printed version rather than listening to the audio, would I have spent less of my reading time comparing it to [Janet Evanovich] and Stephanie Plum.

Sofie's the same kind of fish out of water, stumbling into crazy situations. Except that she's trying to be a P.I. rather than a bounty hunter. And her wacky family is Greek, not Italian. And she caught her ex cheating at the church, rather than after they married.

The go
Tory
Aug 22, 2007 rated it did not like it
This book made me want to tear my eyes out. It was terrible. Terr-i-ble.

I thought it would be clever chick-lit.

But it wasn’t big and it wasn't clever. It was such a blatant rip-off of Stephanie Plum that I was appalled from the first page, then about half-way through the author actually mentioned both Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum. Like mentioning who you are ripping off makes it alright.

So. Very. Bad. It makes the Stephanie Plum novels look like ground breaking literature.
David
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed
This book is billed as a cross between "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (which I've never seen) and the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. While the Greco-American culture was certainly well featured-- it was pretty darn close to a Stephanie Plum novel-- in fact, it was either a huge homage or a carefully plotted plagarism.

Similarities:

Stephanie is hot for a mysterious guy named Ranger who is like super-mercenary-bounty hunter- spy.

Sofie is hot for a mysterious guy named Porter who is like a su
Katherine
May 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
I will continue reading this book, but it is so much like Janet E's books that it isn't even funny. Not sure how an author gets away with that. I bought it so I will read it.

This is just too hard to finish. Not funny, not entertaining, not suspenseful, not anything. Too many really good books to read to spend anymore time on this one. I hate not finishing a book but I gave this one the old college try.
Cathleen
Apr 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
1/2 star. A poor [wo]man's Stephanie Plum meets "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Disappointing both as mystery and as humor. Name check of Evanovich only highlights that the authors must have realized how much they were cannibalizing.
Lisa
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2007
It's in a genre I've been reading lately...single girl detective/PI's/ bounty hunters. I guess the most disappointing thing is it's like an Evanovich novel, only she's Greek-American and a PI instead of a bounty hunter. They borrowed heavily from Evanovich, but they are entertaining nonetheless.
Sheri
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This is very much My Big, Fat, Greek ripoff of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, but it is a cute story with likable characters. I don't know if I will read the next one, but this is a quick chick lit read.
Michele
Jan 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Terrible rip off of the Stephanie Plum series. I did not finish it.
Connie N.
When I started this, I wasn't impressed because it seemed as though it was going to be one of those chick-lit books where the author tries too hard to be funny and it doesn't really come together. But as the book went on, either she or I became more comfortable, and it all started to fall into place. Sofie is a self-deprecating amusing Greek woman who looks at life in a somewhat skewed but funny way. She has worked at various jobs and is currently a new PI working for her Uncle Spyros (who we di ...more
Pat Sinclair
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
nice story but very repetitive.
Sara
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum
A single gal in her twenties, with no career ambitions other than to not be a waitress in the family business. She has her very own apartment and misfortune seems to follow her constantly. So, she goes to her uncle and tries to work for him as a PI. A handsome bounty hunter type is always around to take care of her. Her fridge is always empty, so she gets her meals at her Mom's house. She wears only jeans and tees despite her Mom trying to get her to dress nice, and her Mom is constantly trying ...more
Linda
Dec 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate giving bad reviews, but I honestly disliked this book so much that I couldn't even finish it. The story and the characters were so cliché! The main character is so sex starved that she sees something sexual in everything around her. I imagine this book is probably tame compared to the steamy novels the author usually writes, but I still thought it was ridiculous. A big part of what killed it for me was the narration. The voice actress they used was terrible. It would have been better if s ...more
Kelly
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I have read quite a few Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum knockoff novels/series to keep me laughing until the next Stephanie Plum in the series comes out. None of them have lived up to Stephanie Plum, Joe Morelli, and Ranger, but this series, which is obviously an attempt to capture the same humor, romance, and murder mystery that Evanovich includes in her Plum series, is actually satisfying. It is definitely a copycat of Evanovich's style and plot (the main character even reads the Stephanie Plum ...more
Marybeth
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you read the Stephanie Plum series its the same thing...only sent in a Greek format. Uncle has a detective office, hot guy that she can't get, grandpa that is a helper/crazy person and mom whom worries about her and wants her to work in the family restaurant. I will say it was nice that at some point the main character sits down at the end of the night to have a hot bath and read her favorite book, which is a Stephanie Plum book. Came about the same time when I started thinking I liked the ot ...more
Jean
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though this book is the same formula as the Stephanie Plum series, it was well done and fun. Sophie is a PI just learning the game and gets herself into a few jams. Some fun characters and a Greek family round out the scenario.
Sabine
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's the voice on the audio book...
Ellen Listens 24/7 Eberhardt
Very fun listen! Crossreads of Janet Evanovich with My Big Fat Greek umm Job!!! Can't wait for the next to see if production and read tightens up a bit!! 4 stars!!
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good series. Fun and quick read.
Fullfaun Faun
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great book.
Stephanie Thompson
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Has a little bit of everything - mystery, romance, heart break, political commentary, Greek families - all rolled into one. Left me feeling warm and fuzzy.
Jenny Saltmarsh
As soon as I began reading this book I immediately thought of Stephanie Plum. The similarities between the two are too many to mention.
Very disappointing
Christyn
Sofie Metropolis was an okay read for me, it was a decent way to pass some time - that is I liked it but I didn't love it despite the fact I really wanted to. I went into this thinking that I was going to love this book - didn't exactly happen but I liked it well enough. That being said, I can't help but compare it to another series that was actually mentioned in this book - Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. There were some very similar characteristics and aspects to this book that were d ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"On her wedding day, right before the ceremony, right there in the Greek Orthodox church, Sofie Metropolis discovered her groom and her maid of honor in each other's arms. Sofie took this as a sign, and since then, she's been doing her best to confound her own, and her family's, expectations.
First, she is no longer waiting tables at either her father's or her grandfather's dueling Greek restaurants in Astoria, Queens. Second, she kept the engagement ring (the garbage disposal choked on it
Mandolin
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
When Sofie Metropolis found her groom canoodling with her maid of honor on their wedding day (in the church, no less!) she left on her honeymoon WITHOUT him and never looked back. Now, she's returned home and established herself in the small apartment building that was her parents' wedding gift and where she's stashed all her unreturned wedding gifts. Sofie refuses to return to her father's restaurant as a waitress and instead takes on the unlikely job of private investigator for her uncle's PI ...more
Ginger
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
As you can tell from the summary, there's a lot going on in this starter series novel, but it's all good. I quite enjoyed this book like a spritz of water in the face in the heat of summer. It reads much like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series but there's no Grandma Mazur and Sofie's mother is much more overbearing. It does have a great sense of humour much like Evanovich that had me laughing out loud and sharing parts with my husband.

There's kooky characters in general within Sofie's famil
Angela
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Evanovich or Lutz fans.
Shelves: tori-carrington
Here's another fun P.I. series to keep you entertained! Sofie Metropolis is on the case! Working at her mostly retired uncle's Private Investigator office along with the quirky, gum popping office manager. Of course what's an entertaining P.I. series without the mysterious hunk!? Don't fear...the mysterious & hunky Jake Porter will steam things up!

The book takes place in Astoria, Queens. Where if you haven't guessed it already Sofie & her Greek family live & work. Of course you can'
Heather
Why such weak reviews? It was a well done book, and a great way to pass some time drinking tea and escaping. Yes there were some similarities to Janet E.s Stephanie Plum series, but I liked it cause it was less wacky, and had more heart. As for the mystery, I was just a clueless as our main character, as to what was going on, and when it all came together, I was happy with the results.

Tori Carrington is actually the pen name of a Husband and wife team who write many, many romance novels, you kn
Lynn
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a good book but I think it suffers from a comparison to Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. This book was good, I enjoyed it -- but it wasn't "laugh out loud almost wet your pants you are laughing so hard" funny ... and there are scenes in Janet Evanovich's books which are that funny.

Sofie is from a good Greek family, she has grown up in the neighborhood and everyone knows her, her family, and everything about her. She almost marries the 'good Greek' husband but she finds him in a compro
Jenny
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, the story is a lot like Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, and yes, sometimes I felt like this author took all the Greek references and stereotypes right out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but despite all that, I found myself enjoying it.

If I think too much about it, I might start talking about how some of the characters were a little 2-dimensional (Like, Porter, her Mother, her Rosie), but what I ended up coming away from when I was done with this book was that I kinda like Sofie.

I liked that she
  • Knock Off (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #1)
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol, #1)
  • Unzipped (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #1)
  • Bubbles Unbound (Bubbles Yablonsky, #1)
  • What Looks Like Crazy (Crazy, #1)
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #1)
  • Dating Dead Men
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • The Miracle Strip
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Devil May Care
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • The Good Friday Murder (Christine Bennett, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
Author Tori Carrington is the penname of husband and wife writing team Lori and Tony Karayianni.

Hands down, penning a bio is always the most difficult writing challenge we take on. What do we say? What do we keep a secret? Considering we've been writing together for over twenty-two years...well, that reveals more about us than anything you'll likely read here. We're fiction writers simply because
More about Tori Carrington

Sofie Metropolis (6 books)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3)
  • Working Stiff (Sofie Metropolis, #4)
  • Love Bites (Sofie Metropolis, #5)
  • Queens Ransom (Sofie Metropolis, #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Desperate
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions (An Auntie Poldi Adventure)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne Book #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Tears of Dark Water
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
    $3.99 $0.99
“There are three things you need to learn in life, Sofie. First, how to dance like you're alone. Second, to love like you mean it. And, third, you need to learn to laugh at the rain. Learn how to do those three things, and you'll be happy, always. ” 6 likes