Start by marking “Phoenix, Vol. 1: Dawn” as Want to Read:
Phoenix, Vol. 1: Dawn

Phoenix, Vol. 1: Dawn

(Phoenix #1)

The acclaimed Phoenix series is regarded as Tezuka's masterpiece. Osamu Tezuka painstakingly created his epic 12-volume series over several decades, stretching the limits of manga to address fundamental questions about existence. All 12 episodes of Phoenix are linked by the presence of the mythical bird, an immortal guardian of the universal life force. Beginning in AD 270 ...more
Published March 26th 2003 by VIZ Media (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix, Vol. 1

Michelle
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who think manga is just for kids
Shelves: manga
If you're not into the typical manga that is all over the shelves now, which are high on gratuitously dressed young girls, and nerdy boys, then read a book written for adults, and drawn and written by a Doctor. Phoenix is probably one of the best manga out there, it is a time crossing story going from the past into the future, with many characters interwoven throughout, including their past selves, and their future descendants. The underlying link throughout is the phoenix bird, a bird of immort ...more
The Crimson Fucker
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it

I said I can't write a review cuz I suck!

Bird Brian said I should write one anyway!

I said I suck at reviwing and presented a pretty solid case of me being to stupid to do so!

And he said it don't matter!

I said it will be full of typos and that I will butcher the english language in the proccess!

He said write, bitch! Write!!

So write I shall!!!

So... suck on it!!

I'm not a big fan of manga! That ain't no secret! But this one was good! It got all the good shit! And the end of the word starts with
Akemi G.
This is a masterpiece. I use to own all the original Japanese comics. Everything except the very short stories set in ancient Egypt and Greece are highly recommended. I also remember watching the anime version of Ho-o episode, and it was beautiful.

The episodes switch back and forth in timeline; Dawn is set in almost mythological time in Japan's history, vol 2 Future takes you to the far end in the future, then vol 3 back to ancient Japan, a little closer to the present time than vol 1. Tezuka i
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
After I read this book, I was absolutely hooked for the rest of the series, which had proven to be a overall solid and satisfying one. This volume interweaves fairy tales, mythology, and history to create an compelling work of historical fiction, and introduces us to the recurring character of Saruta, who seems to be cursed to reincarnate into unhappy/ugly lives.
Rebecca Schwarz
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not your typical manga, which is good as I'm not a typical manga reader. I heard about it at the ArmadilloCon Science Fiction convention as an example of non-Judeo-Christian storytelling. The idea underpinning the series being Buddhist, with the same characters appearing in different stories/lives throughout the series. I don't know if this is true, but I'm looking forward to reading the whole series as I thoroughly enjoyed this volume.

Unfortunately it is currently out of print, but my public li
David Schaafsma
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Phoenix is supposedly Tezuka's magnum opus, an epic 12-volume series that he worked on over several decades. If you want to read his version of what you associate manga with today, funny page turning stories for kids, read his Astro Boy. Tezuka basically invented manga of this form, and then went on to explore various genres for adults and kids. Phoenix is incredibly ambitious, as was his Buddha, and Adolph, which I actually like better as stories, because I can relate to them more personall ...more
Chadwick
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sf
Even at his worst, Osamu Tezuka's storytelling ability is jaw-dropping. Phoenix, Vol. 1: Dawn is far from his worst. Perhaps Tezuka's greatest weakness is his occasional heavy-handedness in his handling of important Messages. The Phoenix stories include some of his most deftly accomplished treatments of grandiose concerns. A wonderful, wonderful thing.
Celso
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This entire series is excellent.
Erik
May 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-fantasy
The plot itself is interesting and Tezuka shows a lot of talent in how he actually tells it, but his art style and the terrible jokes didn't fit the tone at all and kept taking me out of the story.
Jack Moody
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stop talking down to me Tezuka!
Tom Ewing
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Thrilled to finally get the chance to read this manga by the prolific and revered Osamu Tezuka. The only other Tezuka I've read are the early parts of his Buddha, and Dawn inevitably reminded me of that - not just the ancient setting, but the vivacious, flowing cartooning, mixing slapstick, action, mythology and tragedy while trusting the reader's intelligence and ability to navigate the shifts in tone. (What hand-holding there is - stodgy text passages on early Japanese history - turns out to b ...more
Emmy
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Phoenix: Dawn is not quite like anything I've read before, while at the same time, it feels as familiar as a dream. This is a great start to the series, although I'll admit it was a bit slow. I love the feel of Tezuka's storytelling. You pick up one of his books, and you know it's him. There's something special about his work. Compliments aside, though, it started a bit slow, and I had trouble getting into it. The story was sad, full of betrayal, while at the same time hopeful, with the ever-pre ...more
Ian Forsyth
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This ending up being the last book I read of the series. I can see then characters who will show up later, like the bulbous nosed man, and I can see a direct correlation between the man climbing out of the volcano crater with sharp bones as a primitive man to the man scaling the tower of the light tribe in the distant future to see the phoenix captured and put in a test tube.
I liked actually seeing someone catching the phoenix, the bowman, but then of course not for long,eh.
I'd like to see a l
Ignition
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Osamu tezuka's lifes work and magnum opus. Also the most ambitious, each volume is its own contained story but there is one underlying theme/idea thats pervesaive throughout the entire story. Think cloud atlas I suppose, but even grander in scale.

Admittedly, the biggest flaw for this is the art and the bit of a slow pace. It's a bit difficult to get into Tezuka's outdated art-style when compared to more modern works. but you can't overlook how important he is in the history of manga. And I heard
Emilia P
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
totally dece.
This is not my favorite Tezuka art style (bubbly), and the Phoenix does look a little bit like a chicken, and I had a hard time following some of the land criss-crossing and Japanese very early history were lost on me....but I suppose I liked the immortality seekers, and even more, the folks who thought they had no use for immortality. Rock on, the latter.
The next book will be in the future! Woot.
Ilse
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Het teken- en verteltalent van Osamu Tezuka staat buiten kijf. In deze graphic novel gaan een aantal helden uit het Japanse verleden op zoek naar de vuurvogel en de onsterfelijkheid dat het drinken van zijn bloed oplevert. Het boek is doorspekt met boeddhistische waarheden, maar het weet me toch niet zo te beklijven als zijn Buddha-reeks.
Ben
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic, adultfic
Not my favorite Tezuka, yet. I like the potential for the series but wish I could get a hold of the whole thing. I traveled to SFPL for it but (shockingly) half the series was missing from the main's shelves.
Zane
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I tend to agree with reviewer Emilia re this first volume of Phoenix. I really have a hard time visualizing the Phoenix as a "chicken" but I did like the idea that immortality carried highly emotional differences for each character. Will save judgement until I finish the series.
Tom
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story is almost stereotypical manga-Japanese, with the doomed lovers being reunited only in death, etc. However, the art is simple yet enjoyable, and even when one can guess where the plot is going, it still makes for a fun ride.
Kienie
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Part of me feels like I haven't done my homework before attending a very well researched presentation. I love how meta some of the humor is. I love the recurring theme of motherhood and immortality. I sometimes find it hard to tell the faces apart, but on the whole the art is great.
Kim
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, asia
Re-telling Japan's history through the eyes of Manga, which he had developed.
Rosa
May 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This was an epic tale. I am very interested to see how the series develops, since it is said to be several interlinked tales, but they don't flow from one straight into the next.
Phillip
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fine opening to the 12 volume Manga series "Phoenix". It takes place in ancient Japanese history and shows the destructiveness of war and the healing power of friendships.
Ilib4kids
Jan 24, 2017 added it
Shelves: w_graphic
ILL
Onírica
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Osamu Tezuka + reflexiones sobre la vida y la muerte con la Prehistoria de Japón como marco...¿cómo no va a ser una maravilla?
Abi Inman
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember NOTHING about this comic (graphic novel?) except that I found it at my public library when I was in jr. high and I really liked it.
PJ
Sep 05, 2012
Olivia Feagler
Mar 20, 2012
Jennifer Hill
Feb 08, 2017
  • The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 7 (The Drifting Classroom)
  • ビリーバット 1 [Birii Batto 1] (Billy Bat, #1)
  • Good-Bye
  • Sandland
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show
  • Ax Volume 1: A Collection of Alternative Manga
  • Kitaro
Dr. Osamu Tezuka ( 手塚治虫 ) was a Japanese manga artist, animator, producer and medical doctor, although he never practiced medicine. Born in Osaka Prefecture, he is best known as the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is often credited as the "Father of Anime", and is often considered the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney, who served as a major inspiration during his formative years ...more

Phoenix (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Phoenix, Vol. 2: Future