Start by marking “Alternation: Transform. Embellish. Customize” as Want to Read:
Alternation: Transform. Embellish. Customize

Alternation: Transform. Embellish. Customize

With this book, readers have the chance to look cool without spending a ton of money. With step-by-step photos readers can make the projects in this book and learn basic skills along the way.
Published November 1st 2007 by Northlight

To ask other readers questions about Alternation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alternation

Christina
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must have either a newer version, or just a newer cover, mine has a woman in a "baseball" or corseted skirt on the front.

I saw this book and flipped through it, grabbed it from the library asap. The coolest project in here, the one I saw first, was the Water Soluble Scarf. That is the coolest idea I have ever heard of. If I make nothing else from here, I will definitely make that!! Use up your scraps, make something totally unique that is totally customizable to you!

The other great parts of th
Robert Beveridge
Shannon Okey and Alexandra Underhill, AlterNation: Transform. Embellish. Customize. (North Light Books, 2007)

I've been trying for weeks to figure out how to review this book without everything I say about it coming off like a left-handed compliment to Shannon's other books, all of which have been good stuff. (Full disclosure: I've known Shannon for longer than either of us, I'm sure, would be willing to admit without liberal doses of truth serum.) And I'm still not quite sure I've figured out ho
Wallis
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the patterns and ideas in this book! Can't wait to try.
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was not really impressed with this book at all. Sure, there were a couple patterns that I thought were slightly interesting, but definitely nothing I would want to make myself. The cover of this book seems to me a tad bit misleading, because I expected it to be ultra hip and modern, when it was only slightly so. The layout of the book was nice, it had a "coolness factor" going for it. And I especially loved the blue hair on that cover model. But I'm afraid I cannot recommend it.

*Taken from my
Ami
Jul 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
There was a time when I would have wanted to make/wear just about everything in this book, but that time was 1999, and this book was released in 2007, and I just read it yesterday. Sadly, the stars did not align. I liked the very first project, which added a scarf as sleeves on a plain t-shirt (with original sleeves removed) or tank top, and the suggestion that one can make a tank top out of a pillowcase, if one is slender enough. I appear to be right on that blessed borderline, so maybe next ti ...more
Stephanie Denison
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-sewing
I went on a sewing book binge Sunday and requested a ton of books from the library. I've been looking for a denim skirt pattern, altering from jeans for awhile now. This book has a pattern I am going to modify with one from another book to create a couple of skirts for my girl and me.

About the book in general:
There are tons of color pictures.
The step by step instructions look super easy to follow.
There are a wide variety of projects organized by the article of clothing you are creating/modifying
Anne
Feb 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I do not have, nor are ever planning on having blue hair, but I found this book to be very inspiring. I like to make my own clothes, but haven't experimented with alterations or embellishments. This book was a bit of a kick in the pants. Do it! It's easy. It's fun. And you'll end up with some interesting and unique clothes without spending a fortune.
Bookish Enchantment (Katherine Quirke)
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing
Recycle clothing without spending much money. Full of great ideas.
Evan
Feb 26, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: Tamara, Julez, Angie, other clothes-makers
Should have paid more attention when reserving new books from the library! I would have passed on this one had I known it was ALL clothing crafts...
Mandy
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts, non-fiction
Not really my style (I hate things that lace up) Still, one or two projects I would consider making.
Kate
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafty
Sadly, totally not my cup of tea. Finished projects are a little too obviously DIY.
Jenni
Nov 29, 2013
Kelly
Dec 15, 2010
Amy Lyn
Aug 07, 2011
Shannon Okey
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Daniel
May 09, 2013
Elle Arnot
Feb 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Shannon lives in Cleveland, Ohio with her husband, comic book artist Tamas Jakab and their furry "children," a dachshund and 2 cats who have made several appearances in her books.

Shannon runs her own publishing company called Cooperative Press, which publishes both books and Knit Edge magazine. She writes...a lot.