Start by marking “Becoming a Literacy Leader: Supporting Learning and Change” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Literacy Leader: Supporting Learning and Change

Becoming a Literacy Leader: Supporting Learning and Change

Becoming a Literacy Leader chronicles the work of Jennifer Allen, an elementary teacher who moved to a new school and a new job as a literacy specialist, and found herself tackling everything from teacher study groups to state-mandated assessment plans. The book is rooted in Jennifer's belief that teachers know what they need when it comes to professional development in ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Literacy Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Literacy Leader

Start your review of Becoming a Literacy Leader: Supporting Learning and Change
Trina
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition of Jennifer Allen's book several years ago. Although I liked the first edition, I got so much more from the second edition. It made me think about how I can tweak some things to be better at my job as a literacy coach. My favorite part of her book was the message that being effective in an educational setting (or really in most professional settings) begins with a shared understanding and the attitude that we need to make meaning together. Allen reminds me that we all ...more
Megan
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wish I could upload a picture of my copy of this book. It is tabbed with post-it notes for future reference! Allen does a great job of outlining what it's like to be a literacy specialist/coach and the organizational structures is requires. I will certainly refer to this many times throughout the year in my new role as literacy coach.
Matt
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is for the 2nd edition...a very practical, honest resource about leading literacy efforts in an elementary school. You will find yourself going back into the text repeatedly, asking, "Where did I see that before?" Essential book for instructional coaches and any elementary school leader.
Barbara Gilbert
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that explicitly explains and models the role of the literacy coach.
Alicia Low
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the account of her becoming a literacy specialist and the ways in which she supported teachers in her school. As an EAL specialist floundering in finding balance between in-class support and withdrawal, I found her intervention classroom setup especially fascinating. It was encouraging that the school and teachers were fully supportive of her plan. In addition, I learned a great deal from her sharing about study groups for professional learning and team-teaching strategy-based ...more
NICOLE
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thinking of becoming a literacy leader in your school or community? This text is for you. The text is a support tool from the real life accounts of Jennifer Allen. She offers advice on: how to organize her classroom for adults and students, resources to use, how to make professional developments meaningful to teachers, how to "be" a literacy leader and changing roles, as well as many other insights on what it takes to become a literacy leader in a supportive role to teachers, staff, and ...more
Diana Pettis
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book because Jennifer Allen gives real life examples about the role of a literacy specialist. As I get ready to start my new position this book gives me many ideas. I especially enjoyed about the role that study groups have to help teachers gain knowledge about literacy as well as how she designs her space at her schools.
Sheri
Great, easy read for literacy coaches. Many chapters are very specific to Jennifer Allen's school and probably not possible in other schools. However, her ideas for room arrangement, scheduling and working with teachers, mentor texts and study groups are worth reading.
Joanna Brauckmann
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book discussing how to leading with gentle guidance, add structure to any program, use evidence-based research and loads of professional resource suggestions! I wish I had had this book 4 years ago when I first started as Language Coordinator!!
Eileen
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Allen uses her real life experiences to guide new and experienced Literacy Coaches on this crazy, not very deeply explored, quest. I have taken many of her ideas and worked them into my own practice. Plus, I have many that are tucked away for years to come.
Sally
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading about the author's journey to make positive literacy changes in her school. It reminds me that change can be slower than I'd like, but well worth the effort as teachers begin trying different strategies and seeking out discussions with each other.
Donnie Ydette
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An insightful read!
Shannon
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for reading coaches! I love her ideas on the classroom set up, staff picks, and bulletin boards!
TheGirlWhoReads
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Can we binge read professional development books? Having dipped into John O'Neill's book on curriculum management, I am just about to revise this one. *excited*
Michelle Cristiani
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: literacy-work
Really solid resource for professional development in k-12 literacy instruction. I need a bit higher level ideas, but the seven-story memoir is really brilliant.
Shannon
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching
Not what I was looking for, but a decent read.
Mandy Taylor