Start by marking “The Boy Who Grew Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Grew Flowers

The Boy Who Grew Flowers

Shunned at school because he sprouts flowers every full moon, Rink Bowagon makes a special pair of shoes for a classmate who is able to appreciate his unique abilities.
Published October 1st 2005 by Barefoot Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Grew Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Grew Flowers

Start your review of The Boy Who Grew Flowers
Nadine Jones
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
One of the books listed in "1001 Children's Books"

Really weird. I appreciated it, but my older daughter was a little put-off by it, and my youngest was just too young at the time. Probably worth a re-read in a year.
Lexus Beedy
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I really liked the mix of reality with fantasy in this book. While we are all different individuals, those are the qualities we should cherish and celebrate. As this book demonstrates that it is beautiful to be different, this is something many students can find relatable.

This book was Purpose:
This book would be appropriate for a read aloud for grade levels 1st-3rd grade.
I love the differences expressed in the Bowagons family. While this book contains many imaginary character
Jill
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Barefoot Books is one of my favorite publishers and this book is another point in their favor. Add to this that my daughter brought me the book and told me to read it - win.

This is a brief story about a boy who comes from a family unlike others. The teacher and children at school ignore him because he is quiet and leave him to himself. And then one day a new girl comes to class. Her right leg is shorter than her left and she wears a different flower behind her ear every day. Everyone likes her.

T
Cheryl
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet but not saccharine fable. Some of the pictures seem a little off, but others make me say 'wow.' The text has an interesting , almost poetic, cadence and is better appreciated if read out loud. I love how Angelina had friends and admirers, even though she was new and could be described as crippled. Extended & added to, this would make a great modern fairy-tale for older kids, or even for adults. ...more
Lauren
Think about the title of this book, The Boy Who Grew Flowers. This book is about a boy who is different than other children. How do you think he is different? (children might respond that maybe he liked to grow flowers in his garden) Well actually this boy grew flowers all over his body at certain times! How crazy would that be! What do you think his classmates thought of that and how would you react? Do you think he felt proud or embarrassed of his ability? What could help him feel better about ...more
Matthew
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3
Could this book get any more adorable? The Boy Who Grew Flowers is a lovely little picture book with a sweet message and incredible artistry to show. Jen Wojtowicz writes with romantic idealism, while Steve Adams' illustrations bring it all to life. The gloriously kooky character names are also a great bonus (Shirleyanne Smeeth being my favourite). ...more
Ivan
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely story - sweet and inspirational -wonderful illustrations. I have several children's books that I'm saving to my personal library - some classics, but mainly just books that have a great message.
RaiseThemRighteous
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I love the cozy, whimsical, slightly melancholy, illustrations in The Boy Who Grew Flowers (2005), which is cleverly written by Jen Wojtowicz and beautifully illustrated by Steve Adams. The cover depicts a pinkish boy with blushing cheeks, flowers in one hand, green shoes in the other. This is a love story about two children who are equally kind and, as we learn at the book’s end, share one of the same differences, which makes them perfectly normal to each
Donna
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Challenges: May 2020 11/31 books. Simple lines and deeply vivid colors illustrated with acrylics on board; a sweet story of how difference is complemented by those little things that we all share once we allow our minds and hearts to open to others and expand our human experience. And, that our creativity and potential blossoms when we use what makes us unique.
Amy
This is a funny story about a boy who was different than everybody else and grew flowers from his head. One day he made shoes for a girl he gave some of his flowers too and he found out she grew flowers too! This is a cute book for older young elementary because there are a decent amount of words per page, but not a lot of pages. It is fun, simple story about finding what makes you unique which would pertain to an independent read for students.
Taylor Relacion
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Boy Who Grew Flowers is about a young boy who is able to sprout flowers on his body at certain times. The teachers and children at school ignore him because he is quiet. A new girl comes to class and one leg is shorter than the other and she wears a flower behind her ear everyday The boy is intrigued by her and she is with him. I would recommend this for grades 2 through 4 because it is a more complex concept.
I would use this in my classroom to cover the topic of children having differences
Baby Bookworm
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Summer Reading Day 86: Hello everyone! Today we read The Boy Who Grew Flowers, written by Jen Wojtowicz and illustrated by Steve Adams! This is a sweet love story about being different, finding that special person who is different like you, and being strange and unique together.

Rink is a little boy who comes from a family of loving, yet strange, people. Rink himself has his own peculiarity: ev
Samantha Hagler
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: being-yourself
Beautiful story! This book is about a young boy named Rink who lives with a family that has all sorts of unique talents, but to all the other townspeople they are just weird. No one at school talks to Rink and every night during a full moon, Rink sprouts flowers from his head. One day, a new girl named Angelina comes into Rink's class and she is a beautiful girl but has one leg shorter than the other. Many students ask the girl to the school dance but she refuses because of her leg. Rink uses hi ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

I loved this story. Rink is a member of an odd little family that all have special talents. Rink’s talent is the most special of all; during the full moon, he grows flowers all over his body. His mom would simply clip off the flowers the next morning and Rink would head off to school. One day, a new girl comes to town, Angelina Quiz, a girl in a family who are in the ballroom dancing business. Angelina has one leg that is shorter than the other. The story of how Rink and Angelin
Gina
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Boy Who Grew Flowers is a story about a boy who grows flowers every full moon. Rink Bowagon had a family that was all a little different. In Rink's class is a girl named Angelina who loves flowers, but because Rink is also made fun of at school because of his strange family. Rink made Angelina shoes with flowers and asked her to the school dance, she said yes! After the dance Angelina witnessed the flowers growing from his head, but to Rink's surprise Angelina grows flowers that are right be ...more
Charles
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the kids that are significantly different and attending elementary school. Rink Bowagon is a boy that lives so far out in the country that there is no road, only a footpath to his house. Furthermore, the nearest road is dirt, and his family is the only one that lives on Lonesome Mountain. All members of the family have unusual talents, Rink’s is that he sprouts flowers all over his body during a full moon.
The other children in school avoid Rink until a new girl arrives. Her
Jill
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ah! I love this book. This is a cute story about a boy named Rink, who lives with his family on top of a hill. All of his family members are considered odd. Rink's peculiarity is that on the full moon, he sprouts flowers all over himself. In the morning, his mom cuts them all off and sends him off to school. Rink is used to be ignored and shunned at school until Angelica arrives. She is part of a ballroom dancing family and is popular with the other children, but she has one leg shorter than the ...more
Lindsey
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Quirky and weird in all the right places. The Bowagon family has a whole host of strange talents from taming rattlesnakes to shape shifting to Rink who sprouted plants all over his body once a month. Even though he keeps this secret, he’s outcasted by his classmates. He proves to be caring, smart, and resourceful.
I was especially moved after reading that Wojtowicz’s brother’s Autism inspired the story.
Jocelyn Hee
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
One of the first picture books I read when I began my picture book reading frenzy. This book is so strange! I'm kind of glad to see it published but it has the weirdest fantasy, even includes ever so subtly some controversial adult topics when describing the family of the main character. I couldn't believe I read it in a picture book!
Alicia
Nov 30, 2009 added it
I don't understand how this book got made. A boy who sprouts flowers? A girl who has one leg shorter than the other? I understand that kids should accept other kids with differences, but it's just too "out there" for me.
Ms. Arca
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5/4 stars. Sweet book, really love some of the words the author uses!
Rani
There is something special about the boy- who grew flowers, not on the ground, but on his body! He was not so special after he met this girl.... Amazing book of differences and acceptance.
Shiloah
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a very sweet and creative story. 🌸🌿
Shaylee Roberts
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eled-340
Picture book: This book is so awesome!! I love the unique illustrations. It describes a family of unique talents, and how acceptance can come when you reach out to new friends and share your talents.
Kelly
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The images were lovely. The special talents of the characters were a little strange. Worth reading for the message of being unique and embracing that uniqueness in ourselves and others.
Hannah Johnston
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone looking for a story of love and inclusion for their children, or heck, themselves, this is a delightful little book.
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful story about being different and accepting others for who they are. Illustrations are well done!
Kris
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An odd little book in a nice kind of way. We're all weird in one way or another; sometimes it is just more obvious than others.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really sweet story, good message.
MotherofReaders
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is fiction with light fantasy elements, sort of like magical realism for children. There are some strong points and I found myself pulling for it as we were reading. I like that it features unusual characters (with unique strengths) and kindness between them. The illustrations are beautiful. My daughter and I especially loved the one on the first page.

However, I was extremely disappointed that the author made it a romantic thing. The story would have been so much stronger if it had fe
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Family Is a Family Is a Family
  • All Are Welcome
  • The Invisible Boy
  • City Shapes
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • What Is Given from the Heart