Start by marking “Stardust” as Want to Read:
Stardust

Stardust

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  274,537 Ratings  ·  13,613 Reviews
Young Tristran Thorn will do anything to win the cold heart of beautiful Victoria—even fetch her the star they watch fall from the night sky. But to do so, he must enter the unexplored lands on the other side of the ancient wall that gives their tiny village its name. Beyond that old stone wall, Tristran learns, lies Faerie—where nothing, not even a fallen star, is what he ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stardust, please sign up.

*flora* The book is written more like a classic fairy tale or folk tale whereas the film is definitely "Hollywood" lovely - same basic story but quite a few…moreThe book is written more like a classic fairy tale or folk tale whereas the film is definitely "Hollywood" lovely - same basic story but quite a few differences.
I think I preferred the book :-) (less)
David
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

L.h.
Aug 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dreamers
Dear Mr. Gaiman,

Damn you. Damn you straight to hell. You've written beautiful faerie stories in your plainspoken postmodern prose, and left my own projected frontiers woefully trodden. It has nothing to do with your brilliance. Had I been born before you I would most likely be the one writing clever novels about fallen stars and sly gods. I would've, I swear!

But instead, I was born forty years too late, and your Faerie, Neil, -do you mind if I call you Neil? Your Faerie, like all of your creatio
Ariel
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Inevitably I was reading this against the movie, and I'm here to say that I think the movie and the book are both brilliant. So ha!

I love the movie. It's absolutely wonderful. And I loved the book. .. But they are quite different. The novel definitely feels more adult. Not because it has "adult themes" just in the overall tone and language. The movie is definitely more "family friendly." The movie is wittier and funnier and sillier and faster paced, and the book is slower and more whimsical and
Jen
Jan 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Die-hard Neil Gaimon Fans
Shelves: fantasy
Emily May
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
The more Gaiman I read, the more I understand why people are so caught up in the magic he wields. Because that is basically what he does. He's not an author, he's a magician, painting magic pictures of rich, exciting worlds that come to life so quickly. Worlds that somehow seem complexly developed after just two chapters of Gaiman's writing. Gaiman is simply a master storyteller. He creates moods that permeate entire novels and, whether you happen to be reading his adult or young adult works, he ...more
Kirstine
This is the one case, the ONLY case (so far. Edit: not anymore, Bridget Jones gets the honor too), where I prefer the movie to the book. I know it's a sacrilege and you can all burn me at the stake, but it is nonetheless the truth. It's also one of the few times I watched the movie before reading the book, simply because I had no idea the book existed. And I loved the movie. I mean, really, really loved it.

So of course when I discovered it was based on a book, I rushed to get it. Now, please do
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy

That is all.
Lola  Reviewer
*3.5 of 5 shooting stars*

description

‘‘For a kiss, and the pledge of your hand,’’ said Tristran, grandiloquently, ‘‘I would bring you that fallen star.’’ He shivered. His coat was thin, and it was obvious that he would not get the kiss, which he found puzzling.

The main heroes of the penny dreadfuls and shilling novels never had these problems getting kissed.

‘‘Go on, then,’’ said Victoria. ‘‘And if you do, I will.’’

‘‘What?’’ said Tristran.

‘‘If you bring me that star,’’ said Victoria, ‘‘The one that just
Will Byrnes
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
This is a charming journey of self-discovery by a character who has a dual nature, human and fairy. He makes it work, with the assistance of sundry others. Beginning his journey seeking his heart’s desire, he finds by the time he returns home that what he truly values has changed. The characters are…well..fairy tale characters and we should not be looking for great depth here. There is darkness, evil, and real risk for our nicer
Bookdragon Sean
I hate Tristan Thorn, though I do suppose that everybody has been in his shoes at one point in their life. Everybody was young once and everybody has been naively in love with someone they barely know. I can’t blame Tristan for his natural puppyish passions, he is only seventeen after all, but I can hate him for it nonetheless; he is completely unbearable at the beginning as his love-sick foolishness knows no bounds. Indeed, when Victoria Forester, the woman he thinks he in love with, agrees to ...more
Fabian
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
There's more to this Adult Fairy Tale than meets the eye. This beloved new classic is a tight little package for the consideration of any jaded or unbelieving adult out there. A fast read, it is pleasurable, readable, crazy with the fusing of real "drama" with that of a New World (or Alternate Dimension).
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Neil Gaiman and I have a love-hate relationship, and I hope that bothers him as much as it bothers me. He's a gifted writer and I keep thinking that I ought to love everything he writes, but so far his books have struck me either as:

• so bizarre and off-putting that I couldn't get into it <---American Gods,
• hauntingly beautiful but kind of confusing <---The Ocean at the End of the Lane, or
• having a marvelous setting but being a little on the predictable side <---Neverwhere
Kathryn
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I saw the movie before I read the book, I must preface my review with that fact since a comparison between the two was inevitable and, moreover, greatly influenced my opinion of the book. I loved the movie! I liked the book. Unlike most book-to-film adaptations, however, I felt that the movie had more character development and more details; and, indeed, more heart and more humor. I cannot objectively consider the merits of the book because I missed so many aspects of the movie-story as I r ...more
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, overrated
“You have to believe. Otherwise, it will never happen.”

My first Neil Gaiman book was a disappointment. I didn't like this very much. It wasn't a bad book exactly, but it was also far from being a good one. The characters didn't have much depth, the plot was unrealistic and completely predictable. For me this is one highly overrated novel and I don't get what the fuss is all about. I still haven't watched the movie but I feel like this could be one of those rare cases, when the screen adaption is
Kat Kennedy
Quick question: how many Daleks does it take to conquer Neil Gaiman?

Answer: I don't know - since I am a blasphemous wench and have never seen a Doctor Who episode. Nor do I actually know what a Dalek is and what it does.

To add to my nefarious ways, I'm also not a Gaiman fan (though not for lack of trying!)

Clearly, whilst I am a scifi fan - I'm not the RIGHT kind of scifi fan!

It's rather like two Star Trek fans meeting on the street:

"So which episode of Enterprise is your favourite?" The first T
Savanna
Nov 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My high expectations for this book (the first I've read of Gaiman's) were badly disappointed. The writing was poor, the story cliché and shallow, and the content problematic. I've read that Gaiman is better with graphic novels, and that seems likely. He obviously has some talent, so I'm hoping this book is just a miss.

One issue I had with Stardust was the writing itself. Gaiman tries to write an "adult fairy tale" with what I think are terrible results. The tone is light-hearted and sarcastic, b
Maureen
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
3.5/5

I really enjoyed this book! Even if I enjoyed the movie more than the book.
I love that this is an adult fairytale & I love the comedy aspects of it, but part of it felt like a not totally complete story, whereas the movie really did bring things around.
Regardless, I LOVE Neil Gaiman's writing style and storytelling. He truly is a master story teller! The audiobook was narrated by him and it made the story that much better because of it.
Maciek
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
To tell the truth, I didn't believe it was possible. My copy of "Stardust" promises so much just by images on the cover - and the volume is so slim, barely reaching 200 pages. How will all these events and characters fit in such slim space? - I asked myself, and started reading on the evening of October, 2nd. By 4AM, October 3rd, I learned that not only it is possible, but also that Neil Gaiman is a talented, gifted writer with gorgeous imagination and invaluable, rare talent for recreating the ...more
Connor
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Everything about this one just worked for me. I loved it. The characters, the writing style, the plot, the romance, the magic. It was brilliant. This edition had a forward explaining that it was written as a fairy tale for adults that would have live in the 1920's, and it hit the mark so well. One of my favorite Gaiman books so far that I've read.
Anne
What a beautiful way to end my reading year!
And that ending -

THE PLOT
The stars were laid out like worlds or like ideas, uncountable as the trees in a forest or the leaves on a tree

A whimsical and atmospheric story which follows the adventures of an eighteen year old, Tristran Thorn, as he ventures out into the magical world of faerie-a world which borders his own little town, Wall. And why you ask did he undertake such a journey? Well, it's very simple. He did it for love. Stupid, blind, na
Gemma (BunksMcCoy)
Dec 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I will never understand how this book is so highly rated. Never. I read this after I saw the film because I thought, "hey, I'd love to see that explored more and see what parts they left out because that film was great!"

Let me tell you, that wasn't what happened. How they got that film from this book I will never know.

All the interesting characters you meet in the film are almost an afterthought in the book, there and gone in a flash.

I am so disappointed by this book. It's been almost ten year
Franco  Santos
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every lover is, in his heart, a madman, and, in his head, a minstrel.
¡Qué libro! El quinto que leo de Gaiman y, como siempre, me deslumbró con su habilidad para mezclar una atmósfera oscura con una infantil y, hasta cierto punto, tierna. El universo de realidades que crea es de lo mejor que leo en el género.

Al principio se me hizo un poco pesado y, aunque me duela decirlo, aburrido, pero conforme iba avanzando, me atrapaba más y más. También no saber bien qué era lo que sucedía fue una manera
Carlos De Eguiluz
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Nail Gaiman, you bastard, I love you...

"There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire."

Es difícil describir aquello que te hace "realmente feliz", pues, a mi parecer hay muchos tipos de felicidad. Sin embargo, les cuento que este libro me hizo verdaderamente feliz, y creo que no había estado con una sonrisa así de boba desde hacía mucho tiempo. ¿Pero cómo podría no estarlo?, si se trata de un cuento de hadas para adultos, o al menos para los mayores; además de tener una larga
Negativni
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zvjezdana prašina ima priču koju mi jedino Gaiman može učiniti zanimljivom, jer nisam baš veliki fan fantastičnih romana, a još manje tih bajki za odrasle.

No, kod Gaimana je to samo površina, platno u koje je upleo mnoge male mudrosti koje je ili shvatio ili prepisao odnekud. Kako god one su tu i uvijek na pravom mjestu, nikada ne guše samu radnju i uvijek ih izgovore pravi likovi ili budu u samom opisu. Napisane su sa dozom odličnog humora i nepretenciozno.

Kod njega se čini da mu ideje i pisanj
Jean Menzies
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my favourite read of Neil Gaiman's so far! Not that I didn't love the two I had previously read but this was also the first adult book of his that I've read and that definitely made a difference. There was no holding back and I loved the mixture of magic, adventure, intrigue and romance that surrounded this novel. Neil Gaiman is ever the clever and witty writer and this came out in a whole new way for me in this adult novel.

Tristran lives in the town of Wall that borders the land o
Cait • A Page with a View
This might be one of the few times I ever say this, but I honestly thought the movie was better...
Robin (Bridge Four)
Very cute adult fairytale.

I think this is one of the few times that I preferred the movie to the book. That isn’t to say that I didn’t like the book but I think the movie expanded on a few of the ideas and the ending was very different. I might have liked the movie more only because I loved it and I saw it first.
Jason Koivu
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it

A magically good read!

Stardust has been the most fanciful Neil Gaiman book I've read so far. This farcical fantasy might be a tad silly, but he makes it work. I felt drawn to the main characters, repulsed by the villains and enchanted by the story and imagery. It has a bit of an everything-in-the-fantasy-genre-and-the-kitchen-sink feel to it and some might say that many of the elements are not unique. But in my eyes, this is a Gaiman original masterpiece, regardless of what ingredients he used.
Steven
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book! It was different enough from the film (one of my absolute favorites) to say I loved them equally and similar enough to help me imagine the world more easily.

I will definitely read more Neil Gaiman novels. I regret that it has taken me this long. :)
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
third time through. still adorable.
Nasia
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gaiman is close to my heart!
  • The Onion Girl (Newford, #8)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • Small Gods (Discworld, #13)
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • In the Forests of Serre
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • The Dark Is Rising Sequence  (The Dark Is Rising #1-5)
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)
  • Kushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1)

“She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches, with sad eyes, the slow dance of the infinite stars.” 3260 likes
“Have been unavoidably detained by the world. Expect us when you see us.” 938 likes