Start by marking “The Gallic War and Other Writings” as Want to Read:

Fragments
Gazetter
Map of the Roman Empire at his Death
Map of Gaul
Published June 1957 by Random House Inc. (NY)/The Modern Library (first published -50)

To ask other readers questions about The Gallic War and Other Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gallic War and Other Writings

Jack
It is a marvel that this text has made it through the centuries. Written during the last days of the Roman Republic, a young Julius Caesar makes his impact on the German and Gallic tribes. His early invasion of Britain to the final siege of Alesia, a great story of Roman arms. A must for all to understand the beginnings of the Roman Empire.
John
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
In a time of impressive men, Julius Caesar was THE MAN. Just ask him.
Ev
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
An excellent translation into modern English of the greatest work of propaganda ever written.
Erik Graff
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning Latinists, students of the Late Republic
Recommended to Erik by: Ms. Schaeffer, my Latin teacher
Shelves: history
We had to read this in second year high school Latin in "the original." Of course, the text was modernized in ways which would have perplexed the author(s). It had punctuation, distinguished between upper and lower cases in accord with established rules, included diacriticals to facilitate pronunciation and had copious notes to help us with the more difficult words and concepts. It is the only authentic Latin text I have ever read completely with understanding. Only two years of language were re ...more
Joanna
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Caesar's insights into the traditions of the Gaulish Celts, particularly the order of the druids, is fascinating, but the detailed descriptions of battles, especially when he frequently applauds his own heroism, can get a little tiring. It is fairly obvious that he is rewriting history to make himself look better. This was a very quick read and it was so interesting to learn a little bit of the Roman perspective, something which I will have to incorporate into my Celtic studies at some point any ...more
Jorge Eduardo
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent read. An incredibly comprehensive and well written memoir of an ancient and consequential war by the man Julius Caesar himself. The Gallic War is not only history, but was also a tool used to make history. Julius Caesar wrote in compelling and no non-sense pros. It is clear why the Romans read this so eagerly, and why it helped his popularity in the home front.
Richard
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
he just wasn't that great of an author. And the war was kind of a jerky enterprise. Not a big fan.
Bonnie
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Celtic culture and ancient France
I only read the Gallic War; I'm not too interested in the Civil War at this moment. I got a lot of insight into the way the Gauls and Germans lived and fought. It is very interesting to see how the Gauls and the Germans came to be so different. I was so impressed by Gaul's efforts at independence from Rome, and I think Julius Caesar did a lot to make it clear his respect for their military tactics and their dedication to the cause. It was also a lot of fun for me, personally, to hear about Caesa ...more
Jack Griffin
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this book was just "okay." While it was interesting to have Caesar's first-hand account of his victories and travels, the bias was often overpowering, and his attempts to paint a picture of his bravado and heroism seemed conceited and honestly a little desperate. The writing itself was often dry and the content sometimes needed additional explanation, which was supplied by footnotes and an excellent introduction. The dull writing was made up for in unbelievable first hand accounts of t ...more
Diane
Feb 10, 2012 marked it as to-read
This is the closest I could find to the book I have. My copy has a gold-embossed tan and black hard cover. It doesn't say anywhere who the translator is and the introduction and appreciation are by H.E.L. Mellersh. It doesn't contain an ISBN no. Looks nice, though ...
Karen
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this. It's not my style, but because we worked with this for over four months, i started to like it and i love the thought that what happened in here is reality. Caesar is such a fascinating person.
James Violand
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Caesar was not a megalomaniac. He was brilliant and ambitious, knew how to spur his men to victory and was magnanimous to his defeated enemies. His accounts of these wars offer an insight into the man, not the myth. A very good read.
Maksim Ovtsinnikov
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Посылаю тебе, Постум, эти книги.
Что в столице? Мягко стелют? Спать не жестко?
Как там Цезарь? Чем он занят? Все интриги?
Все интриги, вероятно, да обжорство.
Kien Pham
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Fairly straight-forward read on Caesar's wars and tactics. Great for historians or military-enthusiasts, can be dry for normal readers.
Ι.Γ. Θωμάς
The commentary about these two centurions, T. Pullo and L. Vorenus is amusing.
Kristi
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I confess I didn't finish it. I'm just not that interested in the Gallic war!

But it was fascinating, for 100 pages or so, because Caesar's account of fighting the Gauls reveals so much about his character: encouraging to his troops, merciful to those he's conquered and even, at times, those who have betrayed him, and a wise strategist in battle. He was a remarkable leader (and not just b/c he said so -- the intro says that contemporaneous writers agree with his account of his own leadership).

P
Galicius
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: latin, history
The Defeat of Ariovistus and the Germans From 'The Gallic Wars'
Jeff
Oct 05, 2010 is currently reading it
A fascinating and concise "history" of Caesar's campaign in Gaul.
'Aussie Rick'
Great account of the Roman conquest of Gaul.
Andreas Artzas
Jul 23, 2016
Jake
Jun 01, 2014
Hotspur
May 23, 2009
Jason Taylor
rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2011
Tony
Jul 15, 2016
Penina
Feb 04, 2017
  • Hannibal (Military Library)
  • The Druids
  • The Tunnels of Cu Chi
  • Caesar: A Biography
  • The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire from the First Century AD to the Third
  • Caesar Against the Celts
  • Alexander of Macedon, 356-323 B.C.
  • What Life Was Like Among Druids and High Kings: Celtic Ireland, AD 400-1200 (What Life Was Like)
  • The Fall of the Roman Republic: Six Lives
  • Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805
Gaius Julius Caesar (Classical Latin: [ˈɡaː.i.ʊs ˈjuː.li.ʊs ˈkae.sar]; 13 July 100 BC – 15 March 44 BC), known as Julius Caesar, was a Roman politician, general, and notable author of Latin prose. He played a critical role in the events that led to the demise of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Roman Empire.

In 60 BC, Caesar, Crassus, and Pompey formed a political alliance that dominated Roma
More about Gaius Julius Caesar
“that there was no doubt that the Helvetii were the most powerful of the whole of Gaul;” 0 likes
“eventide,” 0 likes