Start by marking “Second Chances” as Want to Read:
Second Chances

Second Chances

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  704 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Even as a child, Rachel had her whole life mapped out – study teaching, marry the perfect guy, have some kids and be a stay at home mum. With two different guys after her attention, Rachel must make a choice – will she choose rebellious single dad Nate or sensible youth leader Steven?

Meanwhile, Hannah is on top of the world, engaged to be married to the love of her life, u
Published January 3rd 2012 by Alison Stanley

To ask other readers questions about Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chances

Krista Hensley
Feb 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: freebies
The problem with this book is that it's written about people who are 20 years old, except they think like 12 year old girls. The book reads like it's a middle school romance instead of a young adult one. I understand it's a Christian Romance, but this was completely unbelievable. The characters are boring, flat, and I felt zero compassion for their "struggles" in the story. You can write an engaging christian based romance without making your characters act like children. If you're looking for o ...more
Books
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-2013
I really love the cover for this book. That’s the first thing that caught my eye and got me interested in reading it. Unfortunately, the story isn’t nearly as interesting as the cover. I like the concept of second chances and the message that you have to believe that things happen for a reason and not always the way we want it to, and I’m a firm believer of the power of prayer. But I found this little quick read way to preachy for my taste and the characters rather shallow and flat. It reads lik ...more
Katie W
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I've been reading a lot of Christian fiction lately because I don't have to worry about the worldly smut found in so many books. This book was a clean read, but...I don't really care for books that overly focus on Christian themes (yes, I am religious). I guess I wouldn't mind it so much had the characters been well developed--I just couldn't connect.

Anyway...this story took place in Australia. Two friends were both out to find love and when Hannah shared a secret from her past with her fiance,
Natalie
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A novella about forgiveness and second chances. Two best friends are beginning a new chapter in their lives. One is about to marry the man God has created just for her, the other longing for a love and family of her own. But things do not go according to their plans but the plans the Lord has for them.

Second Chances is an inspirational story of God's ultimate plan for our lives, while it is fictional, it brings a strong message. To wait on the Lord and that forgiveness comes on all forms.
Crystal
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book was AWESOME. I admired how the author brought God into the equation at all times. As a teenager who is also a Christian after reading this book I feel as though I have new books to encourage and new alternatives instead of reading secular books. I recommend everyone to read this book. I was blessed by it. I also want to thank the author for allowing God to use you to write this book.
Amy
May 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Seriously seemed more like a preteen romance except these were supposed to be adults. No character development at all. Her writing style was ridiculously simple. One star because it lacks depth in multiple ways.
Gina Ceballos
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reads
No love, no laugh, no drama.

They were suppose to be finishing college, but they ALL acted like 10 years old.
Megan Weiss
Mar 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is absolutely terrible...there's hardly any depth to the story or the characters...they have hardly any flaws...ugh
Tianna
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
This felt like it was written for a short story competition in high school or something. To be fair, it is a novella. But it just never bad much growth. Maybe if it had just focused on one of the girls instead of both. Or … something. I don't know.

I mean, it's realistic in that most relationships are actually rather uneventful, and have some rocky spots, but it wasn't anything really new or noteworthy.

I will give it this, the title is very apt. Every main character, and many minor characters,
Angela
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this selection. I started reading it and read half of it before I put it down. I finished it today and I was uplifted after finishing it. I love the way the author writes in each character and how they all find the love they were searching for. This is definitely worth the five stars I gave and a few more. Thank you for a good read Alison.
Teri
Mar 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Okay, I only got 5 minutes into the book and stopped. I didn't realize this was a Christian romance. Nothing wrong with that, but I seek a read where God isn't mentioned as much. This sounds so bad. But I need to fantasize!!
M.B.
Apr 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I lasted 4 chapters and simply couldn't carry on. the characters were boring and immature whilst their reliance on their faith and beliefs grated on me.

I've been raised a Catholic, but this was just far too 'in your face' for me.
Anna
May 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-nook, new-author
A short easy read. While I appreciated the message of God's love and grace and the need to always seek him in leading and directing out lives, I found the characters in the story to be rather undeveloped and flat.
June
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short but great read

Set in Australia, this novella is just what I needed. With so many romance novels and the expectation to find the “one” this is a very good counter cultural view. My only concern was the ending was too neat.
Monique You're
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Review

Book was a quick read. Very quick read. It highlighted a few struggles that young Christian females face when choosing a partner as well as the type of partner we should choose. It also highlighted forgiveness and trust.
Bill & Amy Smith
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good christian book

Good, clean, Christian read. I really enjoyed this book. Wished that it could have been longer, but the author did a great job
Susan
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I took a chance on reading a Christian-based inspiration romance book. I generally don't like to mix the themes because I find them to be inconsistent at best. Second Chances is Alison Stanley's first attempt in this genre, and the first book of hers that I read. Although, I must note that I was ready to print my review, the author herself actually contacted me and asked if I would read her second book and publish a review for that one first. I agreed, so please see my review below of her second ...more
Deedee
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
okay this book is not something i would normal choose for my self. the story line is good with out the insert of god now be being not that religious i found it like the author was trying to push god in the reader face but that just could be the type of book it is i wouldn't know.over all i like the concept of second chances. you follow two friend going though different things and finding a second chance at love with both god and men Hannah had a secret that when she told her soon to be husband s ...more
Mel Auslan Osborne
This is a sweet Christian romance. 2 stories about 2 friends.

As a child Rachel made a plan for her life. She just forgot 1 thing, GOD has a better plan. When she realised 2 men were interested in her, she prays for guidance yet chooses her own path. She does this and does it without GOD'S guidance.

Hannah is engaged to the love of her life Tim. When a person from her past can threaten their relationship she tells Tim the secret she has kept. Will she loose the love of her life? or Will their love
Goddess Of Blah
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
This story is ok for Christians but for those of us who read Christian romances out of enjoyment rather than religious reasons then this won't be for you.

It has a really good message but it's not really a romance - more of a inspirational story for Christian women.

Pros -
1. loved how the book focuses on the inner qualities of a person rather than external characteristics e.g. Rachel wants the tall, dark handsome type cliché but finally realises that personality and inner qualities sometimes trum
Jane
Second Chances is a Christian novel about two friends, Rachel and Hannah. The young women live in Australia and go to different Universities but have been childhood friends. Both a Christian and want Christian husbands but have to learn to put their lives in God's hands and follow where he guides them.

The problems with the book is the switching between the two girls with no transition or starting a new chapter to give the reader a clue the switch is happening. The story is jerky with all the sta
Nix Hamilton
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
As a pre-teen book, this is a really uplifting read. I think having the girls older may have hurt the set-up of this book. If they were much younger, it would have held together better with the more youngish dialogue. If the main characters had more explicit flaws, the story could have evolved more. I'd like to see more from this writer, because getting a well-rounded novella is actually technically a difficult format. At least in the usual YA length of 75,000 words, you have more room to make m ...more
Kristie
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I bought this book for my kindle to get my feet wet into the YA scene...and it was a bad first choice. The story was slow and had a lot of religious aspects in it which I wasnt expecting. All though my reading I was thinking that even as a young high school student I would recognize all the flaws in the story and writing. I would recommend it however, to a student that was openly Christian since it talks a lot about Christian values. Because there aren't a lot of popular contemporary books I've ...more
Jade
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young Christian readers
Second Chances is an awesome book. I would recommend this book to people who likes to read Christian books. This book has prayers in it that Rachel said. Rachel's friends were getting engaged and married and she doesn't have a boyfriend. Rachel babysat for a family because the brother and the mom had to work extra hours, the brother came home and was staring at her and he called her the next day for a date, and she told him to come to church and then they could go to the movie that she chooses a ...more
Diane Suda
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Refreshingly Sweet and Hopeful!

An enjoyable story about the many blessings in or lives we tend to overlook, while trying to create the life we think is best for us. We can all relate to falling short, straying off the straight and narrow, and seeking after our own agendas. A refreshing look at forgiveness and redemption through Christ's death and resurrection and a reminder of what God has in store for us, may not look like what we thought but far exceeds our expectations and desires.
Genesis
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I came across this on a Free e-book site. I downloaded it and thought it would be an ok read. Far from it. I couldn't stop reading the book. Great story line and excellent use of scripture to the characters story plots. This book re-opened my eyes to what is going on in my life. May God continue to bless this author to touch as she did with me through this book. It is a MUST READ for me.
The problem was I wish it was longer.
Alove
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this nicely written Christian book.

This book was a true Christian book that had relatable issues but was resolved with Christian morals. It maintained that innocence and decency that is so hard to find in books today. I would absolutely recommend this book to a fellow Christian and young adults to read.
Terri
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like Steven.

I loved both of the women in the story, and the theme of second chances. However, I found Steven just too immature and petty for him to have a second chance. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll leave it, there. The story was well written. This is my first read from this author, but I will buy her books, again.
Sierra
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!!

I started this book last night and read some at work today while on my lunch break. I came home and could not put it down!! I found it easy to relate to the characters being a Christian myself and trying to navigate life with a balance of keeping God first. I definitely recommend this book!!!
Ashley
I know it was free. I always try to be kind with those reviews, but this is a book about a heap of people relishing in their heavy Christian faith & to me they seem to be the most judgmental humans ever. Makes me batshit. Writing seemed very in mature to me. The reading flow was choppy & the characters thoughts & feelings were way too MOW IMO.
  • How Sweet It Is
  • Kicking Eternity (New Smyrna Beach #3)
  • Noble Pursuits
  • A Bride for Pastor Dan (Parkside Community Church #1)
  • Falling in Love (Seasons of the Heart, #1)
  • Surrendered Hearts (Vermont Blessings, #2)
  • Beyond the Storm (Quilts of Love, #1)
  • Chasing Charlie
  • The First Gardener
  • Heart of Gold
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • Beside Two Rivers (Daughters of the Potomac, #2)
  • A Path Less Traveled (Miller's Creek #2)
  • Home to Walnut Ridge (The Teacup Novellas, #3)
  • A Bride for Tom AND A Husband for Margaret: 2 Novellas in 1 Book (Nebraska Historicals)
  • Contingency (Covenant of Trust #1)
  • Until Forever
  • Threesome (erotic menage)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
“Don’t compromise your values because of some guy,” 0 likes
“She leant over and kissed her new husband on the cheek, knowing that whatever challenges they might face in the future, they would face them together with God.” 0 likes