Start by marking “Who Switched Off My Brain?” as Want to Read:
Who Switched Off My Brain?

Who Switched Off My Brain?

Self Help through scripture controlling toxic thoughts and emotions throughout ones life.
Unknown Binding, 139 pages
Published 2007 by Switch on your brain (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Who Switched Off My Brain?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Switched Off My Brain?

Start your review of Who Switched Off My Brain?
Cassie Shepherd
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book with some inspiring ideas. I loved how Leaf used her Christianity beliefs in companion with her scientific knowledge. She even helped me see a different meaning behind some specific scriptures. Leaf explains the science of the brains chemistry in an extremely easy way to understand. Coming from someone who has anxiety and is always stressing about something, I feel like Leaf offers a lot of solid ideas for learning how to change thoughts and control unhealthy emotions. Even ...more
Rowena
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the honour of hearing this enthusiastic and knowledgeable author speak at my Church over a period of three days.I even got a copy of my book signed:) I was in awe by how she used her psychological research to prove the word of God. The main focus of the book is how thoughts affect our brains; toxic thoughts can physically and emotionally harm us. The good news is that we are able to transform our way of thinking and live more positive, fruitful lives.

Although the writer is a PhD, the book
Diane
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Our daughter, Bridget, gave me this book for Christmas. There are only 138 pages in this book. I couldn't put this book down. In fact, I read it in just a few hours today. Dr. Leaf states that reserachers say that 87% of the illnesses that plague us today are a direct result of our thought life. Once you read what she has to say on how your brain works and what happens to your body when we think negative thoughts, you can't wait to get to the last chapter and learn the steps to controlling your ...more
Karl
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I were to summarize “Who Switched off my Brain?”, in one sentence, it would be that: toxic (negative) thoughts, and the emotions that they are associated with, will physically alter the human body in a harmful way and by becoming aware of this process we can implement strategies to reduce negative thinking and moderate the corresponding chemicals that harm us.

At a more in-depth level, Dr. Caroline Leaf starts the book with an explanation of the physical process that takes place in our brain
Thomas Hadley
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is, by far, the most practical book on cognitive development and mind change I have ever read. The practical five step process she developed is very simple and very powerful to use. I have had mental breakthroughs using her system that I have needed for decades.

Not only does she offer the practical system, she goes into great detail (but not too confusing detail) into how and why our thoughts have the effect that they do on our brain cells. This detail allows us to have confidence in apply
Jim
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book sort of felt like quasi-science. There were mentions of studies done and research shows this but there was no reference to what studies these were or who did them.

While I think there are some good things in this book and that I agree with the fact that our thoughts and emotions can affect our physical well-being, I don't agree with it to the extent that the author holds to be true and that we just need to change our thought patterns to become healthy again. There definitely seems to be
Fed
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to understand how the mind and the power of our thoughts/words work. The author is a Christian psychologist/therapist, but she does not push Christianity, she just states that she is a Christian and that works for her. She believes that faith is an important component for a healthy life/mind, and challenges the reader to find their own belief system.

Dr. Leaf's way of explaining scientific/medical processes is simple, and all audiences co
Monica Stopha
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read for anyone who struggles with depression/anxiety/stress (so all of us??)
Karen & Gerard
I found this to be fascinating and very helpful. I am interested in scientific research that relates to my everyday life which is in abundance in this short book about the brain. The beginning chapters were pretty technical and had a lot of words related to the brain that I am unfamiliar with so that part dragged along a bit for me. However, after reading those beginning chapters, I have a much better understanding of how thoughts are processed and stored.

Caroline Leaf goes into a lot of detail
Erika
Feb 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I really tried to get into this and I thought it would offer real insight. At best it was warmed over info that you could get from any self help book wrapped in a neuroscience disguise.

~Erika
Katie
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Is really insightful about the brain. A short book that will help you improve your life. I would definitely recommend.
Leo
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Now you know why Christ said to put the mind on good things.
John
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book feels like a very simplified application of neuroscience, neuroplasticity and epigenetics, how we can change our thoughts and our brains in the process. It does not contain enough objectivity or information for the reader to make a fair evaluation. I guess the author tries to make it simple, and the notes in the back show that it is much more complex, but it still feels a lot like popular neuroscience(or neuroscience for dummies). Together with this science, she leaps to scripture and s ...more
Glen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a highly practical guide to removing unhealthy patterns in our lives. It focuses on a process of gathering details, reflecting on their healthiness (or destructiveness), journaling in order to map out what is happening, revisiting the issue with greater clarity and then reaching out with a new, healthier habit.

Dr. Leaf has identified twelve debilitating processes that lead to breakdowns in thinking, health and spiritual well-being. She calls them the “dirty dozen”. They are: toxic t
Mindi
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book and immediately wanted to reread it, so I probably will since I am on vacation.
Jeanette
"...once that cycle of toxic thinking has been broken, your thoughts can actually start to improve every area of your life..." (13)

"A thought may seem harmless . . . Thoughts are measurable and occupy mental 'real estate.' Thoughts are active; they grow and change. Thoughts influence every decision, word, action and physical reaction we make. Every time you have a thought, it is actively changing your brain and your body..." (13)

"The result of toxic thinking translates into stress in your body,
Amanda
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 - 4 stars

This book is quite an eye-opener! Dr. Caroline Leaf takes you on a journey through each step of a thought and breaks down each specific place in the brain (and body) it affects. It would appear the entire body - what it feels, how it performs, it’s very framework, even our DNA - can and will be affected by our thoughts, be they positive or negative.

“Who Switched Off My Brain?” was really good, and very fascinating in the medical sense. Dr. Leaf explains the big, “doctor words” an
Heidi The Reader
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The Goodreads description of this book surprised me. The author quotes the Bible maybe a handful of times. I wouldn't describe this as a scriptural guidance book so much as a book about the brain with the occasional Biblical quote thrown in.

Leaf does a great job of breaking down how the brain creates and stores memories. She discusses: why we save some memories and not others, how to form new memories, and how children are affected by their brain chemistry. Chapter Six, detailing coping mechanis
Debra Oehlberg
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The reason why I didn't give five stars is that a lot of the information presented is scientific, and just not very interesting or of use to me. The author did a great job of relating the scientific to Biblical Scriptures, which is not easy. In fact, it is hard to convince scientists that there is a God, so it was refreshing to read a book that explained the physical processes going on in your brain, and then give recommendation how to get mental healing from toxic issues by relying on scripture ...more
Debbie Fox
This book is revolutionary! I love that God has shown Dr. Caroline how science is matching up with what the Bible has said all along! Fascinating!
Cassian Lynne
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Leaf breaks down the way the brain works and creates memories and thoughts, and explains how we can work within our own brains to rewire them from toxicity to health in 12 main areas of our lives. This is vital! I now feel the freedom to throw out a lot of other books on healing and self-help that were good but didn’t quite scratch the itch... this truly scratches every itch and, best of all, it’s written in basic, clear writing.

This book is a must-read, and I recommend taking the time to g
Helaina
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I seriously enjoyed this book! It was the perfect balance between science and biblical truth. Dr. Leaf even explained how the two support one another in situations. This book has been written to provoke thought and to challenge what we think we already know about our minds, emotions, responses and reactions. I was so intrigued by what I was learning about how my mind works, that once I started reading I couldn’t stop. I finished the book in two days! My favourite thing about it was how Dr. Leaf ...more
JSeller
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love the premise of this book and of Dr Leaf’s take on toxic thought but I was very disappointed with the structure of the book itself. 5 of 6 chapters were filled with repetitive info, some irrelevant, and illustrations that didn’t make sense or, at best, didn’t add to the concept. The last chapter was the best but still not very in-depth if you are looking for practical application. Again, I’m a fan of Dr Leaf’s work but I would start with another Of her books instead of this one. Hopefully ...more
Ruth Ropper
Very interesting book with a lot of details about how your brain works in a way that makes it understandable. Author doesn't really think you should used medication for mental health issues unless it is absolutely essential and uses research to show how changing your thinking should improve your mental thought processes and effects on the rest of your body. Not sure I agree with this coming from healthcare background.
Geo Hendrick
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good book. Sometimes it got too "Sciency" for me; so I would take breaks and get back to reading. There were whole Paragraphs I didn't understand. I would recognize that I'm still learning and keep going on. I love books on the brain and I loved all of her practice things I can do to improve my brain and life!
Janel
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
I'm happy I discovered this book. I loved the Scientific breakdown of how we process our thoughts and how we can rewire toxic patterns! Very helpful for anyone of any age. I mostly benefitted from the Metacog method of journaling my specific thoughts and I will definitely be adding this to my writing regimen! Thanks Dr. Leaf this book is great!
Kara Burts
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read! I loved how Dr Leaf used her Christian approach on troubling thoughts. Reminded me a good bit of Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyers! Although I listened to the audio version, EVERYONE should read this book at some point! Always be able to train the mind..because what you think, is what is!
Karen Shilvock-Cinefro
Dr Leaf is a specialist in neuroscience and neuropsychology. This is a handy, easy to read , and cutely illustrated book on way our brains function and things that we can do to help the brain work positively. The workings of the brain affect the whole body and many of our ailments can be helped with a better mind approach.
Janice
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book, combining neuro-science, the way we think and Scripture. How do we "renew our minds"? This book explains things in an understandable, interesting, practical way, in which we all could benefit. This is highly recommended!
Daniel Bulek
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Leaf provides a decent explanation of how our brain stem hijacks our higher order thinking and provides a simple method for moving from reacting towards centered and reflective action taking. Recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dream Big: Know What You Want, Why You Want It, and What You’re Going to Do About It
  • Chasing Vines: Finding Your Way to an Immensely Fruitful Life
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • Jesus Over Everything: Uncomplicating the Daily Struggle to Put Jesus First
  • The Artisan Soul: Crafting Your Life into a Work of Art
  • Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence
  • Is That Really You, God?: Hearing the Voice of God
  • Whisper: How to Hear the Voice of God
  • Shifting Atmospheres: Discerning and Displacing the Spiritual Forces Around You
  • Do Greater Things: Activating the Kingdom to Heal the Sick and Love the Lost
  • What Makes Olga Run?: The Mystery of the Ninety-Something Track Star Who Is Smashing Records and Outpacing Time, and What She Can Teach Us About How to Live
  • The Rock, the Road, and the Rabbi: My Journey into the Heart of Scriptural Faith and the Land Where It All Began
  • Battlefield Of The Mind: Winning The Battle In Your Mind
  • God's Not Dead: Evidence for God in an Age of Uncertainty
  • My Utmost for His Highest
  • Patricio Symes, Vida y obra de un pionero
  • Como Conquistar El Corazon de Dios?
  • Crash the Chatterbox: Hearing God's Voice Above All Others
Dr. Caroline Leaf is a cognitive neuroscientist with a PhD in Communication Pathology specializing in Neuropsychology. Since the early 1980‘s she has studied and researched the Mind-Brain connection. During her years in clinical practice as a Communication Pathologist she developed tools and processes that help people develop and change their thinking and subsequent behavior. Her scientific Scienc ...more