Start by marking “Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries, #1)

Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  851 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Jody McGrath's dolphin dreams are coming true! Her whole family is sailing around the world researching dolphins - and Jody is recording all their exciting adventures in her dolphin diaries

Jody can't believe her dolphin voyage has begun. A whole world of discovery awaits her aboard the Dolphin Dreamer.

But an unexpected passenger threatens to spoil the trip of a lifetime.
Published May 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2000)

Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about a girl 3 month adventure on a boat studying dolphins. I liked it and hope you do too. It made me want to read it all night when I got to the climax. I am going to try and read the full series. She faced some challenges and it wasn't always smooth sailing for her and her family. It wounder what other adventures she will go on with her family it was also very descriptive I felt like Iwas on the boat with them to whole time. All though I gave the book 4 stares because I felt ...more
Botoocean
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my first series. I love this series so much. It kept me reading and helped me build up my addiction to reading, plus who doesn't like reading about tropical places and dolphins :)
Simone
Ah it remains a beautiful series now filled with nostalgia :')))
Kristina
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh I just found these books in my house. This series was my absolute favorite as a kid!!
falon
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was such a good book, and it made me really worried at times! It made me keep on wanting to read. It was so scary when Jody fell into the water, but it was awesome when Apollo saved her life! At the end of the book it scared me because I thought that the other dolphins did not like Apollo. This is one of my favorite books I have ever read!
Author Girl
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
I really loved this book because it's about dolphins!

Here's a short summary: Jody is really exited because she and her family are going to study dolphins on a boat! Then Henry's (the captain) daughter Brittany get on board and starts acting like a brat. On the first day Jody tries to make friends, but no luck. She's also disappointed that she hasn't seen any dolphins. But after dinner she's on deck and finds one! She names him Apollo. Apollo and Jody become friends, as much as a dolphin and huma
Dena
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This was such a cute book that I couldn't resist putting the next four on hold for vacation! What a wonderful idea for a story. I can't wait to see how this adventure unfolds! I imagine I'm not the only adult who feels like they are reading their childhood dream played out by Jodi!
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I used to read this book all through 4th and 5th grade. I only remembered it when I had nothing to read and saw it lying on my bookshelf. For a simple book it was not that bad. It's plot was a nice break from the usually confusing or long plots I normally read. My main issue with the book was how they portrayed Brittany. I think she was supposed to be a teenager, but they went by the stereotypes that petty adults created because they're jealous our generation has cooler entertainment than their ...more
Chance Hansen
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rereading this series gave me such a nostalgic feeling, not to mention I had a childhood fascination to dolphins growing up. I like the series. This series is great for kids, dare I say better than the massive Animal Ark series. (I'll make my case after the review)
As the introduction to the series it's written pretty well. The majority of the characters are mostly laid out well although I think ten characters is one too many although it isn't that much of a big deal concerting it's a ships crew
Melissa Namba
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
although all the interactions with dolphins are positive, I'm glad that there is emphasis put on how dangerous they can be. there is one character that I'm unhappy with the treatment of. I hate one dimensional bad characters and that is what Brittany is. could be a lot more educational stuff put in without making the book boring. right now it is by and large plot driven.
Kendra
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I decided to read Into the Blue, because one of the items on my challenge this year was to read a book with a dolphin on the cover.

The first book in the Dolphin Diaries series, Into the Blue starts with Jody and her family getting ready to leave on a year-long sailing trip where they will study Dolphins. Both of her parents are marine biologists and this is a dream come true expedition. The only catch? They have to include another scientist, Dr. Jefferson Taylor, sent by their corporate sponsor
Shannon H
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! Brittany accused Jody of boasting about how smart, great, and how the Dolphin Universe was her idea. But, Jody didn't really do that. All Jody did was, ask Dr. Jefferson Taylor if it was possible to see where the school of dolphins (they met earlier) were. But, Brittany accused, and Jody didn't get angry. I think Jody and I think alike. We both think that maybe, just maybe, Brittany would realize that it wasn't all about her, and that her attitude needed a check. A big che ...more
Saige Holcomb
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think "Dolphin Diaries" is a great book. If there is a young girl that likes dolphins this book is for them. My favorite part in this book was when Jody was pushed into the water by that girl Brittney. It surprised me how she managed to get out of the ocean alive.

"Dolphin Diaries" is about a girl named Jody Mcgrahth who loves dolphins. She and her family go on a vacation on a boat ride to see and learn more about dolphins.Jody discovers and befriends a dolphin, and names it Apolio. Along the w
Natalie
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I'm 21 and not ashamed to admit to reading this. I love dolphins and anything to do with the ocean and just felt like some light reading. I've always enjoyed browsing kids books and was really pleased when I bought a second hand copy of this.

The plot isn't too detailed, but it's fun and I can definitely imagine I would really have loved reading these as a young girl. I liked how enthusiastic the main character Jody was and often found myself feeling annoyed at the remarks made by unexpecte
Kinsey
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do you like dolphins well if you do you need to read this book and not put it down. you will discover some amazing diaries from a girls heart!!!!! Will you change you mind when you see an animal in the road you might want to help it if you help save its life it will help your life and you might just realize what animals really are in the human life they make our day brighter light up our expresions when we feel like we are down or mad remember you can't give up!!!
Katie
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Dolphin diaries is my favorite series!! Being a future Marine Biologist this is a great marine life book.It is about a girl who's parents are Marine Biologists and they have a Boat named the Dolphin Dreamer.Jody is there daughter. She will be out of school for a year with her parents on the boat researching dolphins with them.But when a storm comes and she goes overboard will a dolphin save her? Or will it be too late?
Moncerrat Gudino Valdez
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is really interesting, this book will be perfect for people who love dolphins. I recommend this book to people who love dolphins, 4th, 5th, 6th, and maybe 3rd graders. It's about this girl, I forgot about the girl name) who is writing a diary and her only friends will be dolphins and some other people. The girl loved dolphins and she felt like they were family or best friends that she has in her life.
Taylor
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judy and her family are going a really great dolphin voyage! judy is really excited. Now the dolphin voyage has begun. A whole world of descovery awaits her abourd her dad's very own ship the dolphin dreamer.
But an unexpected passanger threatans to spoil the trip of a lifetime. On there trip a sudden storm puts jody's life in danger.who can she turn to for saving her life? Who can she trust? GREAT BOOK! i love loved it!
Kayla
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Into the blue is the first in the dolphin diaries series. Jody and her family go on an adventure around the world and go to different dolphin research labs. on their trip they run into a huge storm and their boat tips over. they think they are stranded in the middle of the ocean but a dolphin comes and rescues them. i would use this in a science class as a preview to the new topic we would start talking about which would be the ocean.
Kim
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: tweens that like dolphins
Shelves: children, fiction
Preteen Jody and her scientific family sail around the world researching dolphins and she records their exciting adventures in her diaries--the first book in this new series. The family is to study the traits and characteristics of dolphins and share this information through a new university of knowledge that Jody's family founded. Very cute book for a lower reader. Definitely okay for a class library shelf.
Max
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first books/series I got into as a kid and it made me want to read. I'm now in college and still remember the feelings I had reading them- I even read them to my little sister when she can't sleep at night. I love them just as much now as I did then and I think that's the truest testament to the quality of the books.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd, 4th, 5th, series
What an easy recommendation. I think I could find quite a few girls to hand this to (I mean, who isn't at least a little into dolphins as a little girl??). Nothing inappropriate, a bratty girl who needs a little bit of an attitude change is obviously making the wrong decisions, and a solid family dynamic. Liked it lots.
Tami
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is written by Ella, my 6 year old.
This book is about a girl named Jody and her family. They are on a boat studying dolphins in action. Jody met a mean girl named Brittany. Brittany's mom lied to her. Jody made friends with a dolphin. She named him Apollo. I like the idea of going on a boat and watching dolphins. I liked this book.
Kimberly
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
its about dolphins duh i love it~ anyway celine- this is where i get most of my random tidbits of dolphin facts. I love this series... Miss Lazo gave me this book witha dolphin mood necklace.. sniff.. i feel a little setimental
Koverdiek
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great series for young children at about the 4th grade level. There is adventure and some danger but very few scary parts. My girls both loved the whole series. The characters are realistic, right down to the annoying younger twin brothers. Great read for any age.
Kira Brighton
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-blog
I loved this series as a kid. It inspired a slew of dolphin-loving for me.

(Showcased in Top Ten Tuesday: Childhood Favorites)
April Prever
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My daughter gave it 5 stars saying "it's a great book for children who love dolphins. In the book, Jody, a 12 year old girl, keeps a diary about her family's adventures on a scientific expedition to study dolphins on their boat, Dolphin Dreamer."
Kip
This was a fun book. Simple, yet entertaining. There was nothing masterful in the storytelling, but nothing so trite or forced as to ruin the story. I recommend it, especially for anyone interested in oceans, sailing, and especially dolphins.
Kimberly
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved dolphins as a child, so back when I was in fifth grade I began this series. I actually quite enjoy it. I love all of the characters. It's a great series for middle schoolers.
Mursal
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
The characters make this story well-rounded and just the right amount of adventurous! A sweet read to take on a car trip or to a beach!
  • Kittens in the Kitchen (Animal Ark, #1)
  • Sabrina Goes To Rome (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #53)
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • The Missing Magic (B Magical, #1)
  • Faraway Filly (Phantom Stallion: Wild Horse Island, #10)
  • Chrissa
  • Horror at the Haunted House
  • Arabian Challenge (Thoroughbred, #22)
  • Judy Moody's Double-Rare Way-Not-Boring Book of Fun Stuff to Do
  • Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • The Book of Three: Volume 2
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • The Private Notebook of Katie Roberts, Age 11
  • Destiny's Twins (T*Witches, #10)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Molly's Puppy Tale
  • The Nightmare Vortex (Spy Force, #3)
Ben M. Baglio created the brief for two series of children's books - Dolphin Diaries and Animal Ark. Dolphin Diaries features a girl and her family from Florida, who travel around the world as marine biologists and study dolphins. Animal Ark features two children who work together to help animals and solve animal-related mysteries. The books were written by commissioned writers in the UK under Bag ...more
More about Ben M. Baglio

Dolphin Diaries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Touching the Waves (Dolphin Diaries #2)
  • Riding the Storm (Dolphin Diaries #3)
  • Under the Stars (Dolphin Diaries #4)
  • Chasing the Dream (Dolphin Diaries #5)
  • Racing the Wind (Dolphin Diaries #6)
  • Following the Rainbow (Dolphin Diaries #7)
  • Dancing the Seas (Dolphin Diaries, #8)
  • Leaving The Shallows (Dolphin Diaries #9)
  • Beyond the Sunrise (Dolphin Diaries #10)
  • Piraten (Op zoek naar Dolfijnen, #11)

Fiction Deals

• Drawing Lessons
  • Revolution 2020
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel