Start by marking “Dave Barry's Greatest Hits” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  3,006 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
"Mr. Barry is the funniest man in America and we should encourage him. Buy this book."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
What Pultizer Prize-winning humorist Dave Barry did for American history in DAVE BARRY SLEPT HERE and for getting older in DAVE BARRY TURNS FORTY, he does for...everything else in America! The rapacious consumer of overpriced real estate, He Man action figure
Published May 13th 1989 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

Donna
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed this and I knew I would even before I read it because I've always been a Dave Barry fan. It was such a short read though, I wished it had been longer and contained more of his greatest hits. It was everything I've come to expect from Dave Barry. He is definitely funny. I love the way his mind works and that he is able to translate on to a page.
C C
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Younger me loved Dave Barry; older me doesn't love Dave Barry.
Wes Locher
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of laughing
Shelves: humor, essays
This is one of those timeless humor books that holds up just as well today as it did when it was initially released 15 years ago! Dave Barry's mastery of the written word is at peak performance with this collection of columns. When they stuck the words "GREATEST HITS" on the cover, they were absolutely not lying.

Sure, some of the events and people discussed within these pages may be dated, but if you were alive for those times (or took a history class in school) then you'll still appreciate a fr
Int'l librarian
I don’t read when I’m in the bathroom. But if I did, Dave Barry would provide most of the material. His work pretty much screams bathroom. As if the essay title, “Some Thoughts on the Toilet,” didn’t make that clear enough for his billions of readers.

Not that I like bathroom humor. I don’t. I’ve probably only read “Some Thoughts…” two or three times. I’ve read a few of the other essays in here a couple dozen times. There’s just so much to learn, such as Dave’s tips for truffle harvesting. “When
Honza Fedak
I just discovered Dave Barry when I saw his latest book You Can Date Boys When You're Forty at a local bookstore. After reading it, I was ready for more.

Greatest Hits is a collection of his newspaper columns. For someone like me, who never read any of them, it presents a nice profile and overview of his newspaper work. The columns are silly, often very funny, and each one if them is an easy read but reading dozens of them is quite a heavy dose; I am now ready to go and read something else.

But
Valerie
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ian will probably read these next. He's already convinced boogers are funny.
John
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm old enough to have read many Dave Barry columns the first time around, but young enough not to have read any of the essays in this collection before. The volume doesn't start off well, with the first few essays offputtingly strident. Pretty soon, though, the book settles in with a consistent low-key wackiness that makes good use of callbacks and other comedic set-ups. The structure of the columns vary, with some of the later ones taking the form of interviews or letter responses.

As a person
Bill Eckhardt
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Barry is funny as a stitch in time.

Those who appreciate the exaggerated metaphors of David Barry will certainly appreciate this book. Others be aware. Thank you Dave for making light of what should be made later.
Joshua Dancer
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While parts of this haven't aged well, the majority is still just as funny to me as it was when it was helping shape my sense of humor as a teenager. Dave Barry, Erma Bombeck, and 'Weird Al' Yankovic are the main reasons I am the way I am.
Marshall Langman
Possibly the funniest American columnist
Leew49
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Dave Barry's alert readers will enjoy this collection of columns from the 1980's. Those who lived through that decade and are still alert enough to remember will enjoy it even more.
Elisabeth Warner
I like Dave Barry's humor, but in this book it is very outdated. I don't understand his humor because he talks about issues from the 80s and earlier! Not funny.
Kelly
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He is hilarious, but really expected more LOL moments
taeli
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read 10/16/17
J.
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to love reading Dave Barry's columns in the Sunday paper when I was a kid in the 80s. I found this book at a thrift shop recently and got a few chuckles, but the humor didn't age well.
Fred Klein
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Funny but his Dave Barry is not making this up was better!
Jason Roland
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
Funny as always!
Vida
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Some parts were funny, some not so funny. I'm not sure Dave Barry has held up great to the test of time. Reading the columns back to back was a little too much.
Rose
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Although this is an older book, published in 1997, it is still laugh out funny in some parts.
Shaeda99
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty funny--best read in small chunks, not all at once. The bit on the Martian Death Flu was my favorite.
Jack
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, funny, but forgettable. Some of his classic articles from his column. Some made me laugh out loud, but some are dated. Still, he's very funny.
Patrick
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia.
Alana
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun.
Dylan
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Often humour books are the last refuge for no-longer-popular comedians and one only has to look at the list of comedic authors to see the number of has-beens and sophomoric satirists. Case in point: a couple weeks back while browsing the humour section at a local bookstore I spotted a grinning, overtly-flabby Jay Mohr plastered on the front of a hardcover. For every “Me Talk Pretty One Day”, one of David Sedaris’s collections of wit-fuelled, self-deprecating essays, there are ten “Dirty Jokes an ...more
Rose Moore
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Barry, as always, is utterly hilarious in this collection of some of his best columns from the '80s.

Full disclosure: I adore Dave Barry. I started reading some of his collected columns when I was a kid sampling my Dad's bookshelves, and this is one of my favorites (re-read this month when I picked up a new copy). I will happily admit that being a life-long fan will have some impact on this review. Hopefully not too much, but in the interests of total transparency, it's worth mentioning.

Da
Shawn Sorensen
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
It’s not that John Ritter doesn’t give it a good go on this unabridged audio version of Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits (audio book didn't have correct cover...). While he tries too hard with timing, Ritter still reads at an appropriately accelerated pace and doesn’t commit the cardinal sin of audio book performers - muttering so low that you can’t hear a punch line no matter how much you tax your car's subwoofer.

These chuckle-inducing essays about making beer, poor eyesight or having the flu are no
Corielle
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

Dave Barry released this book (which I bought for a quarter at a book fair) in 1988, and it basically contains all of his newspaper articles for the previous several years. Despite the dated politics (it contains a lot of Nixon & Reagan jokes), it holds up surprisingly well, considering it's 27 years old (oh my god that means my little sister is also 27 years old...). A lot of it remains very relevant, overshadowing that which does not (such as a whole chapter on the perils of home telephone
ACS Librarian
I don 19t read when I 19m in the bathroom. But if I did, Dave Barry would provide most of the material. His work pretty much screams bathroom. As if the essay title, 1CSome Thoughts on the Toilet, 1D didn 19t make that clear enough for his billions of readers.

Not that I like bathroom humor. I don 19t. I 19ve probably only read 1CSome Thoughts 26 1D two or three times. I 19ve read a few of the other essays in here a couple dozen times. There 19s just so much to learn, such as Dave 19s tips for t
Sarah Anne Carter
“Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall.”

Dave Barry is a funny man. His work is classic and it deals mostly with human nature. Published in 1989, Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits is a compilation of his columns published so far. It’s nice to read about a time before the Internet and cell phones were commonplace, though. Human nature is
Stacy
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
There are two main problems with reading this book in the bathroom.

1) It will take you a really, really long time to finish it, unless you are prone to frequent gastrointestinal difficulties.

2) You must make sure that no one is within hearing distance who might feel uncomfortable upon hearing chuckles, guffaws, even hee-haw laughter emitted from the bathroom. This could be embarrassing for both you and them and should be avoided.

Dave Barry- what a guy. Funny in the 80's, funny-if a little dated-
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker
  • Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language
  • Poems and Sketches of E. B. White
  • More of the Straight Dope
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
“2. The instant the doors open, you want to push forward as hard as possible, in an effort to get onto the train without letting anybody off. This is very important. If anybody does get off, it is legal to tackle him and drag him back on.” 10 likes
“Think, for a moment, of the countless happy childhood hours you spent with this amazing device: Drawing perfect horizontals, drawing perfect verticals, drawing really spastic diagonals, trying to scrape away the silver powder from the window so you could look inside.” 7 likes