Start by marking “The Story Of Art” as Want to Read:
The Story Of Art

The Story Of Art

Renowned not only as the best concise introduction to art history, but also as a classic of art historical literature, this book reflects the vast knowledge, insights, and expertise of one of this century's greatest art historians and thinkers. Extensively illustrated, it treats the history of art -- both chronologically and geographically -- as a continuous unfolding ...more
Published September 6th 1984 by Phaidon Press Ltd (first published 1950)

Start your review of The Story Of Art
Lisa
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reflecting on my reading year 2016, I came to think of books that have meant a lot to me over the past decades, and the first one that came to my mind was Gombrich’s excellent introduction to art history.

I will have to go back twenty years, half my life, to the year 1996. I am twenty years old, and just about to discover the pleasurable adventure called university. For Christmas, I receive a much longed-for gift card to buy books that “will help me in my studies”, and I stand in a bookstore,
Ahmad Sharabiani
The story of Art, Ernst Hans Gombrich (1909 - 2001)
The Story of Art, by E. H. Gombrich, is a survey of the history of art from ancient times to the modern era. First published in 1950 by Phaidon, the book is widely regarded both as a seminal work of criticism and as one of the most accessible introductions to the visual arts. The book is divided into an introduction, 27 chapters each dealing with a defined time period of art history within one or several cultural/geographic contexts, and a
AC
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This book was perfect. For someone like myself who (now) has a little knowledge of Art (the capital letter here is deliberate) and some sense of history -- but who has big gaps and oceans of ignorance about the topic -- this book was perfect. It is mature, serious, to the point, absolutely free of jargon, sure, insightful -- always interesting, never pedantic -- and not eccentric in the least. Gombrich covers all the major artists and the movements they represent, and ties them together with ...more
Rick
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The Story of Art is a handy little survey of art history, primarily but not exclusively western art, from cave paintings and primitive sculptures to modern architecture and pop art. It is 500 pages of text and that many pages of well synchronized color plates in a smart pocket edition by Phaidon. Twenty-eight chapters, mostly quite brief, but each a skillful, thoughtful rippling of the surface, with hints of depth and well-defined currents moving quickly and sure footedly through the eras and ...more
Luís C.
What a monument! I'm not a regular in the history of art, but I wanted to throw myself still in this reading. Much good has taken me, it took me a few weeks to deal with them, but I do not regret it! Are discussed painting, drawing, sculpture and even architecture, since the earliest human societies until the 50s the whole is decorated with beautiful illustrations. Unless you have a real need for the pocket edition (small footprint), I advise rather publishing "beautiful book". Indeed, the ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Gombrich's Story of Art is a great survey (western-oriented however) of art for those who wish to know the big names and get familiar with some of the more common works. He covers all the various periods in a sufficient amount of detail without sounding pedantic or academic which is a challenge when explaining art history. I would just lament the lack of information about art in China, India,. S America and of course Africa, but that is kind of how Europeans have always viewed art, isn't it.
It
Roy Lotz
I should preface everything I say with a general caveat: I am a novice in the world of art, which is the reason I picked up this book in the first place. Although I often drew as a child, I was more interested in schematic, technical drawings than anything you could call ‘art’. And, despite my keen appreciation of music and fiction, I’ve always had the visual equivalent of a ‘tin ear’. I could stand in front of a masterpiece and be more interested in what I just ate for lunch.

So with that
John David
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a dozen or so pages into this book, I knew that it was one I wish I would have had access to when I was first seriously exposed to art. While in many respects, it is a conservative textbook (being first published in 1950), it is fundamentally meant for someone who has little to no previous formal contact with art history. Of course, if you have some, this can make you seriously engage some of your previously held assumptions about what you like and why you like it, but I got the distinct ...more
Namrirru
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
The title of this book should be "The Story of Western Art," because that is what 95% of this book is. Western Art. The "Primitive Art," "Looking Eastwards" and "Modernism" section are an insult and should have been left out of the text along with his random snide comments.

Othewise, this makes a nice commentary on Western Art. It's enthusiastic and reads like a "story."
Lorna
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to the history of European art. Accessible and great for building a narrative timeline.
Boris
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m speechless!
This is one of the deepest theoretically histories of art I have read. I feel like I was walking naked in museum before reading it.
Amazing book!!!
David
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a thick and tremendously heavy book, but only physically heavy, and Gombrich is far from thick in his treatment of art down the ages. Read it lying face-down on the floor. Use it as a door-stop.

The reproductions are exquisite in colour and detail, and of course it can be dipped into at leisure and as the mood takes. The Italian Renaissance is comprehensively covered.

I wanted to buy this book several years ago but thought 25 was a bit steep, then found it last year on sale in Central
Ryan
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This well-composed book was a pleasure to read. And as far as introducing the history of art, it is exactly what I was looking for;beautifulphotographs,lucid descriptions, no jargon, nopretension. I recommend that you read the short preface and first chapter, and I bet that you won’t stop there.

The book’s 600 pages contain at least as many photographs, mostly of paintings, and about half of those figures are full-page (including a few fold-outs [ooh la la:]). The text is written simply – without
Beth Shapeero
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Storey of Art

E. M. Gombrich

I was attracted to this beautiful little book in Waterstones; its wafer thin, smooth bible pages, section of over 400 rich colour plates and stylish, minimal cover design. I was also feeling a pang of guilt for not shopping in bookshops anymore because Amazon is so easy and cheap. Walking through a bookstore, perusing books and judging them by there covers, is a real pleasure and one we will be denied access to as everybody shops online, I am pretty sure we will
Morgane
First, the obvious flaws. This was originally written in 1950 by a white European man. It has all the biases you'd expect: referring to certain cultures as "primitive"; largely glossing over any art outside Europe; always defaulting to the male pronoun and in fact only naming one (**ONE**) female artist. This is really "The Story of Western European Male Art". But, I honestly don't think it's worth being upset about his biases. Complaining that books from entirely different time periods don't ...more
David
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thumbed through a much older (perhaps first) edition of this book when I was away from home and looking for something to read. I was immediately hooked by Gombrich's enthusiastic writing. When I returned home, I was extremely pleased to find that the latest edition was lavishly illustrated and updated to reflect more recent times.

In my opinion, the book is fabulously readable for two reasons: Every piece of art mentioned is shown in the book beside the text and the author avoids "pretentious
June
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best story of art ever told.
I devoured the book years ago, when studying at the Art Academy.
for those who are not into art, or think they are not interested in art..it will make you love it!
and it will teach you from the very beginning how to see "the mind" of the artist in the creation..
highly recommended
Miquel Reina
This book is an essential. A book that can't miss on any shelf of an art historian, an architect or designer, and in general anyone interested, lover or influenced by Art. The Story of Art is an ambitious book, which traces the history of mankind with its artistic development, whether painting, sculpture or other plastic forms. It's a reference book rather than a reading one but it's a jewel that must have nearer you.

Spanish version:
Éste libro es un esencial. Un libro que no puede faltar en
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
A very conservative treatment of mostly western art focusing mostly and the Renaissance and giving short shrift to impressionism and anything after 1850. Very good treatment of the things it does cover but I would have liked a little more space devoted to more modern art.
Michael Scott
I bought The Story of Art while about to leave Brugge, after a long week-end that was supremely friendly and quite artsy. I started reading this book as soon as I sat down in the train and was enchanted by it until the last page.

Gombrich's The Story of Art is a masterful story of the main works and styles of art, from 30,000 BC until the 20th century. (The 16th edition includes material from up to around the late 1980s, in terms of art critique, and early 1970s, in terms of artworks.) The book
Tim Murray
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be no exaggeration to say that this book changed my life. Before I read this I thought that most art was overpriced garbage. Especially modern art. By going through the history of art and saying how one era shaped the next and also why art is important to human development really helped me to 'get' art.

Since reading this book I have taken up painting myself as well as regularly going to art galleries and museums.

Having said all this, the book can be a bit dry sometimes and you can feel
InMyHumbleOpinion:D
before the reveiw, a little pretext, i love art history, NPR and David Sedaris, so the fact the i read this book basically cover to cover isn't too surprising. it was clear and consise and had so many pictures (faomous and obsecure) i must have read the chapter on impressionism and post impressionism 40 times and the section and mannerism at least half that. but if your not interested, this won't read like fiction, or any kind of even remotely intersting text. to some its like reading the ...more
Carol
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a few semesters, art history was my minor in university. I did not know a lot about art, but I was interested and it seemed fun. If only my courses were as good as this, I would not have given up on this field of study.

Without being condescending or snobby (my main problem with my former teachers and some fellow students), Gombrich writes about art history in a way, that is very exciting and fascinating for the uneducated reader (i.e. me).

The art prints in my edition are extremely beautiful.
Cynthia
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I kept expecting this book to bog down and get boring and it never did, even when it got into modern art (which I now feel like I have a better grasp of). Gombrich isn't just an art historian,he's like a psychologist, I felt like I had a better understanding of why people were making all this funky contemporary art; even if I still don't necessary like or understand it, at least I kind of feel I see where it's coming from. Really a great book if you want a basic intro to the history of art.
Zanna
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic introduction to 'Western' art, beginning with its classical origins in ancient Egypt, and casting light on the social, economic, political, cultural and technological influences from which it arose in each time and place

I was fascinated from the start, and a relatively considerable proportion of Gombrich's wisdom has stayed with me. Naturally the presumption to offer a monolithic story of art is absurd - but this particular story is well worth sharing.
Uaba
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, architects, designers
This is the most complete book about The History of Art. It talks about all kinds of artistic expressions and it's organized by period of time. It contains a lot of pictures of famous paintings, sculptures, buildings, of anything related to art. It was the first book I bought when I entered architecture graduation college. It helped me a lot.
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A great book for learning and understanding art. This book was interesting to me because I worked for a time at an art gallery. I learned a lot then about art appreciation, and learned more from this book. The text is very readable and the pictures are beautiful. Great coffee table book =)
Sarah Shahid
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
It is one of the amazing books I have ever read. It is really comprehensive, I wish it was longer and full of more details.
Christopher
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SOA is actually an art appreciation book disguised as history, which probably explains why it is so deeply loved all over the world. Gombrich spends a good 85% of his time simply talking about individual pieces. Like any good tour guide, he merely explains a few details, gets out of the way, and lets the reader savor the view. Highly recommended.
Jose C.
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marvelous book. Great introduction for beginners like me. Now I can understand a lot more, the paintings, sculptures and buildings that always amazed me.

• Ways of Seeing
  • The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
  • An Object of Beauty
  • The Last Nude
  • Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
  • Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography
  • The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility, and Other Writings on Media
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • Wall and Piece
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Chopsticks
  • The Natural Way to Draw
  • Good Faeries Bad Faeries
Sir Ernst Hans Josef Gombrich, OM, CBE (30 March 1909 – 3 November 2001) was an Austrian-born art historian, who spent most of his working life in the United Kingdom.

“One never finishes learning about art. There are always new things to discover.” 46 likes