Start by marking “On a Lee Shore” as Want to Read:
On a Lee Shore

On a Lee Shore

“Give me a reason to let you live…”

Beached after losing his ship and crew, and with England finally at peace, Lt Christopher Penrose will take whatever work he can get. A valet? Why not? Escorting an elderly diplomat to the Leeward Islands seems like an easy job, but when their ship is boarded by pirates, Kit’s world is turned upside down. Forced aboard the pirate ship, Ki
Published December 12th 2012 by Etopia Press

To ask other readers questions about On a Lee Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On a Lee Shore

Start your review of On a Lee Shore
Mark
Forget Jack Sparrow. Meet La Griffe. A pirate to swoon for, but not a ladies man. His eyes are firmly fixed on other shores!

Captain Christopher Penrose (Kit) is assigned as a valet to Sir George a British diplomat sailing to the Caribbean. Kit has been demoted after losing his ship, although not at fault, he has to pay penance. He boards the Hypatia a merchant ship and sets sail. The adventure that is about to await him will turn his world around and make him question his values. On the way the
K.J. Charles
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, historical, m-m
I gulped this down with great enjoyment. A very enjoyable pirate tale. Well written and likeable characters. Kit's growth into someone able to have fun and stand by himself is very likeable. I felt Griffin stayed a bit too much of an enigma for too long and wondered if his POV would have helped.

The fighting ship details all sounded pretty good to this totally ignorant reader, though it wasn't overburdened with historical notes (which is fine because Patrick O'Brien already exists) - it was a bi
Tess
5 stars

Re-read (for the third time!)
This was one of the first m/m books I ever read and is still very beloved to me. Beautifully written historical with a very, very slow burn!
Heather C
I was in a bit of a book funk last month and decided to sign up for January's Comfort Zone Challenge in the M/M Romance Group on Goodreads. For those of you who are not familiar with this challenge, a reader signs up and lists their likes and dislikes, and then they get paired with another reader who has to pick a book for them to read...preferably something not on their TBR list or any of their shelves. On a Lee Shore was picked for me to read by Susan A and I was so excited to start, I didn't ...more
Joanna Chambers
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, historical
I read this on holiday. It had been on my kindle for AGES - I'd actually kind of forgotten about it. I was almost reluctant to read it cos I've never been awfully fond of age of sail books - although now I think that might be because of them being M/F books. I love M/F romance but just, well, not on boats. Anyhoo, THIS age of sail book was fantastic. Beautifully written and rich in detail. I could practically taste the salty spray. I relished the growing sense of threat that grew and grew. I ado ...more
Catherine
*** 3.5 Stars ***

On a Lee Shore has likable characters and an interesting story, but the book is heavier on plot that it is on romance (and that wasn't really what I was looking for). I was ultimately disappointed that the characters spent little time on page together and that the "L" word was never declared.
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a good pirate story. Penrose is a very likeable character, Griffin on the other hand was still a mystery to me till the end. There was romance but some parts were very confusing to read that the romance took a backseat. My first read from Elin Gregory, enjoyed and ill be reading more stories from this author for sure.
Samington
The writing was strong on the whole, and though it felt a little clunky at the beginning, it smoothed out as the book progressed. The author obviously knew an enormous amount about sailing, and the story was immersive and realistic. It went on kind of long; I didn't have a problem with that at the time, but I do think there were places that could have been trimmed down a bit.

It fell apart a little near the end, which wasn't as strong as the rest. Things seemed a little rushed, plot lines were le
⚣Michaelle⚣
This was so well-written, so well-researched that I find myself thinking I need to go back and review my ratings for other books of this genre because I don't think they'd measure up.

Loved the action & romance, the battles & side-characters, and especially the ending. I'd totally read a sequel about Kit & Griffin's adventures working under-cover for the Crown. Also, I'd adore a novella about how Lewis & Protheroe met! I know this was written a while ago (and again, I keep managing to own books f
Christopher Moss
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ON A LEE SHORE by Elin Gregory

Let’s get the concept of a “trope” out of the way first. The more recent and both popular and irritating (to purists) definition of a trope is: mean a commonly recurring literary device, motif, or cliché. (From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trope_(...) It might be wise to listen to the advice on many such “tropes” on the web site TVtropes http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php... that sometimes the cliché is in the eye of the beholder. That’s what I am goin
Julia ♥Duncan♥
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Julia ♥Duncan♥ by: Susan A
This was really good. There were lots of things I liked about it, but also some things that kept me from rating it higher.

I really liked the writing, it was nicely descriptive, occasionally rather witty, and seemed to fit the setting really well. I'm not very knowledgeable about this time period, but the book seemed realistic to me. I liked Kit and Griffin a great deal, as well as a lot of the side characters. I really didn't want to put the book down while reading. This is definitely the best
Erica
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Eleventh Hour, and I love pirate stories, so this one was a no-brainer for me.

"Action-packed" doesn't even quite cover it; it's one adventure after another in this story. The details are rich and plentiful, and the writing is lovely. It's a great, romping ride from beginning to end.

It's more successful as a pirate adventure than a romance, though, and I had to work hard to believe in the connection between Kit and Griffin. The ending was a little too rushed, and a little too pat, and I'
Jax
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, historical
This satisfied as a pirate yarn, but not so much as a romance. And though well written with lots of period detail, it nevertheless felt a little long. I'm not sure what bits could've been trimmed, but I do know that I was anxiously waiting for the romance to join the party. Unfortunately, that anticipation made it feel as though something was lacking and it became a distraction. And when it does finally make an appearance, there's really not enough to it. I don't mind an adventure story with not ...more
Danielle
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm, 2013, pirate
Slow! This book was so slow. The developments were slow, the romance was slow, the plot just didn't move anywhere and was kinda confusing. This one just wasn't for me but I do have a thing for pirates so it is definite must read for anyone who loves them as well.
Wency
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
5 IWANTMORE Stars! I will be needing all of the Starfishes on the sea to rate this book.

Ladies and gentlemen I think I found true love in the arms of La Griffe

Ha! My first MM book about pirates and I wasn’t disappointed! I’m grinning from ear to ear right now while writing this review. That is how much I enjoyed this book. I still feel like I had a vacation on the tortoise sea of the Caribbean made so much fun and more exciting by characters of this book. Anyways back to my review!

Lt Christophe
Ciaran Dwynvil
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yesterday, I wanted to read just for a short time. Maybe and hour or so and I picked this book I had wanted to read for weeks.

I boarded Hypatia in good faith and cheerful mood together with Kit Penrose and thought the sail would be nice and easy for that day. Well, only until pirates swarmed our ship and their Captain known as Le Griffe ensnared not only Hypatia and Kit, but somehow managed to get me on his sloop Africa as well. I wasn’t exactly kicking and screaming. You see, by that time I ha
Bev

Really enjoyed this historical, naval and piratical ripping yarn, and I would never have guessed that Tristan was a spymaster, and that Iestyn (or Griffin) was working for him. Kit was a little priggish at first, but eventually warmed up to his fellow recruits on board the 'Africa', and I loved the two Welsh 'mollies'. 4 stars, and thanks Elin.
SheReadsALot
Pirates!

Oh I hope someone's booty gets plundered!

;P
Rhosyo's BookWorm
This book left me with that feeling of butterflies in the stomach only the really special stories manage to do.

I think this was my first pirate Tale (not counting the Incredible Prosperity💜), and can't imagine a better way to start with a genre. I would have liked the book to be longer, maybe even a doulogy. I loved the characters! And every chapter was an adventure on its own.

The historic world building was as important and magical as the love story, and I loved that fact. I felt myself truly
haley
I have so many thoughts about this book, it's kind of hard to know where to start.

The thing about this book is that I expected the wrong things. I expected the romance to be in the forefront of the story, but the romance is more of a subplot. I ended up enjoying it, true, but it was a unsettling surprise when the romance ended up being not the center of the story.

I have mixed feelings about the romance. On the one hand, Kit and Griffin have a genuine chemistry and I really liked seeing the rom
Susan Roebuck
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having read Ms Gregory’s “Alike as Two Bees” I became a fan of her deceptively simple prose that hides a clever and pacy plot.

“On a Lee Shore” is one of those books I couldn’t put down because I was fascinated by the main character, Lt Christopher (Kit) Penrose, from page one and subsequently by the dubious but compelling pirate known as Le Griffe. Told from Kit’s point of view the story transports the reader back to The Age of Sail with just the right amount of detail to create a perfect atmosp
Snowtulip
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, own, m-m
I was in need of a book that provided me with some great characters and this book delivered that :D Kit was so honorable and good and Griffin was so steamy and growly...yes!

The secondary characters were so well written that you loved them or hated them and they were always a part of the story and action. Through these secondary characters you are able to see the type of men that Kit and Griffin are.

There were adventures to be had, battles to be won, a very nice slow burn, and a HEA to make you h
Andrea
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great writing, good story, and a rushed ending... all the other reviews will tell you how great the book is. They're right, it really is that good.

I just have one thing to add. I wasn't completely sold on the romance. More sexual tension or a couple hot sex scenes would have gone a long way on selling the romance for me. As it was, I was feeling more like a best friend with benefits vibe from them.

WhatAStrangeDuck
I'm really too tired to say anything more than that I enjoyed the heck out of this book. Slow burn romance, good action scenes, lovable side characters, conflicted MCs, the works.

If the ending might seem a bit tacked on, so be it. Sequel, please? Like, tomorrow?
pauliree
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Outstanding. Love me some historical MM and this was up there with the best of it
Em
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, swashbuckles
This book is mostly a queer pirate adventure novel with a m/m romance that slow burns its way to the forefront over the course of the book. The adventuring itself is excellent, I'd honestly read a whole book of just their pirate adventures, and the burgeoning romance slots in neatly when Kit's feelings start to collide with his background and morals.

I love a romance where a repressed historical boy is slowly drawn out of his shell by his large, handsome, intelligent captain. Some of the kissing
UnusualChild{beppy}

Kit is persona non grata with the British Navy, in spite of serving honourably for over 10 years, because a ship he was on was wrecked, and because he helped bring accusations to light against the captain. When he is asked to accompany a man associated with the Navy as a valet, Kit agrees. On the way to their destination, the ship is boarded by pirates, and Kit is forced into their employ.
Kit is bound and determined to take the opportunity to leave when he can, and to not do anything th
Sophie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great piece of historical naval fiction. I'm actually not that into pirate stories, but this was well-written, captivating and plausible. The romance wasn't that romantic, to be honest, but it complemented the rest of the story nicely.
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(This review may contain spoilers).

I tend to be quite particular about romance books. They're a little bit like Marmite - I either love one, or I hate it. There are very few in-betweens.

As is probably evidenced, this book fell into the first category. This book was suggested to me as a recommendation and after reading it and finding the blurb interesting, I bought it to read on my Kindle.

I felt able to emphasise with Kit pretty much straight away. Not only did he have a name I particularly like,
Rynn Yumako
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, favorites, historical
This book was just all kinds of awesome. Guys, I'm not kidding, I was blown away by everything.

The crazy amount of care and research that must have gone into the details here, the workings of ships, the warfare, the pirates, god, literally everything - most of which flew right over my head at first, but still, it was amazing when I finally got used to all the nautical-lingo - I just. God, it was just so fucking great. In the sea (har-har) of mediocre, lazy writing and recycled plotpoints, this a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Kidnapped by the Pirate
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Beyond the Sea
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Unhallowed (Rath and Rune, #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Proper English
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • An Unsuitable Heir (Sins of the Cities, #3)
  • Seven Summer Nights
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)

News & Interviews